• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osorio

And more...

B-ku2OdW0AEAM2v.jpg

xbhaskarx

Friday game of the week is FC Dallas at Philly. Kickoff is at 7pm ET. TV coverage on UniMas.

No game today:

Philadelphia Union-FC Dallas game postponed to Saturday, 4 pm ET

Friday night's Philadelphia Union-FC Dallas match, regularly scheduled for 7 pm ET at PPL Park, has been postponed due to safety concerns from poor weather conditions in the Philadelphia area.

The game will now be played on Saturday at 4 pm ET.

“We had every intention to play our match as originally scheduled, but the current weather conditions will challenge the safety of our fans, players, and staff, and they always will be our first priority,” Union CEO and Operating Partner Nick Sakiewicz said. “With a sunny day in the high 50’s forecasted for tomorrow, we look forward to welcoming everyone to a magnificent setting at PPL Park.”

Thanks for the update. Welp,no MLS for us tonight.

In other news, there should be USMNT, U20, and U23 rosters this weekend. Galarcep took a crack at the men's roster for the Denmark and Switzerland games.
GOALKEEPERS: Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando, William Yarbrough

DEFENDERS: Geoff Cameron, John Brooks, Omar Gonzalez, Matt Besler, Timmy Chandler, Fabian Johnson, Greg Garza, Ventura Alvarado. Brek Shea, DeAndre Yedlin

MIDFIELDERS: Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Mix Diskerud, Alejandro Bedoya, Joe Corona, Julian Green, Danny Williams, Alfredo Morales, Miguel Ibarra

FORWARDS: Jozy Altidore, Aron Johannsson, Gyasi Zardes, Rubio Rubin

These popped up on my twitter feed.

CAjsCmOVEAEodos.png:large

CAj2Zp0WMAEZLOj.jpg

The snow on the seats is the biggest problem. Since it's near 32 or slightly over it's a very wet and icy snow. I don't think they want to take any chances with people throwing snowballs.

Also the snow wasn't supposed to accumulate as much as it has so far I don't think.

Playing in snow vs playing in almost 60 degree weather? It's a no brainer really. A better product for all involved.

I think the team just wants more than 100 people there. Also it's going to be near 60 and sunny tomorrow.

So fucking over the visiting fans is the right choice?

I mean not everybody lives a short stroll from the stadium. Some people plan around the game as an event.

It's George W League

A tornado is one thing. Calling a powdery coating a safety issue in an area used to snow is insulting.

Just how many people from Dallas do you think were going to be at the game? The team obviously wants more people in the stands to pay for parking, concessions, merchandise, etc. The Union and MLS want the best product on the field. Having a televised game where the ball dies 3 feet after being kicked due to snow isn't going to do allow that.

Also it is not just a powdery coating. It's been snow mixed with freezing rain at times. Once the sun goes down it's only going to get worse as the temperatures drop and any water on the field freezes.

Just how many people from Dallas do you think were going to be at the game? The team obviously wants more people in the stands to pay for parking, concessions, merchandise, etc. The Union and MLS want the best product on the field. Having a televised game where the ball dies 3 feet after being kicked due to snow isn't going to do allow that.

Also it is not just a powdery coating. It's been snow mixed with freezing rain at times. Once the sun goes down it's only going to get worse as the temperatures drop and any water on the field freezes.

Would the NFL reschedule a game for 3 inches forecast in the Philadelphia metro?

Would the NFL reschedule a game for 3 inches forecast in the Philadelphia metro?

Does the nfl require the ball rolling through snow in order to move up the field?

This has to be primarily an attendance thing. People will show up to NFL games regardless. Not so much for MLS games. Especially those during rush hour on a friday with snowy and icy roads.

Movement of ball has never been a requirement in soccer

And? Actually read my posts instead of trying to be the contrarian like you always do. This is a move to help attendance and fan safety. This is not a normal powdery snow. It wasn't supposed to accumulate as much as it has. Instead of being 40 degrees with snow mixing in with rain it's been all snow and freezing rain with a temperature of 32 degrees.

If you're running the team do you: a) play in 30 degree weather with snow and ice and have a couple hundred people show up and risk people slipping on ice or throwing snow or b) do you play in 55 degree weather with sun where you have a better chance of having more than a couple hundred people come out and each team doesn't look like they are kicking a fucking boulder?

Also snow and ice != rain and mud but I sure hope you would have figured that out already.

And no, an NFL game wouldn't be postponed but it's absolutely no secret that a billion dollar franchise that made more money last year than mls team is probably worth has much better cold weather facilities to handle snow and ice and a fan base that's been conditioned to seeing cold weather games for the past half century or more.

And? Actually read my posts instead of trying to be the contrarian like you always do. This is a move to help attendance and fan safety.

There is no safety issue. None. This is a light snow event in a region that is used to heavy snow events.

If we were talking blizzard, thats one thing. It's nuisance snow. Im looking outside, its past 4pm and it still hasnt stuck to the road.

Attendance? Sure it would be higher tomorrow. No disagreement here.

But so what? I can't think of a single professional league that postpones games to get more people in the seats. Thats an amateur move. And its a move with victims as people may have traveled to see the game and are now fucked over.

Yes, MLB and Golf postpone due to rain. Thats part of the sport. Postponing for optimal weather? Come on.

Also, why are you so sure nobody would show up? Is the Union fan base so fickle?

DSGP-0322-Ellwood.jpg

The most annoying thing about it being rescheduled is it's now on Univision Deportes which I don't get and isn't broadcast over the air. Gonna need to find a bar and hope they'll show it over basketball. :\

xbhaskarx

MLS, US Soccer sign partnership with Johnson & Johnson Family of Consumer Companies

In the latest in a recent series of partnership announcements, Major League Soccer and the US Soccer Federation announced on Friday that they have signed an official partnership with the Johnson & Johnson Family of Consumer Companies.

The deal makes the Johnson & Johnson consumer division the exclusive and Official Healthcare Sponsor of MLS and US Soccer, including the US Men’s, Women’s and Youth national teams.

Johnson & Johnson is the latest major brand to partner with MLS, following on recently announced agreements with Mondelēz, maker of Chips Ahoy, Ritz, Trident, and Oreo; Audi, whose partnership includes sponsorship of the MLS Cup Playoffs; and Heineken, which in January became the official beer of MLS.

Seleção Brasileira ‏@BrazilStats

OFFICIAL - SporTV has reached a 4-year deal to exclusively broadcast the MLS in Brazil starting from this weekend.

CAk1EIyUIAATwRp.jpg

Brazilians love Brek Shea

ATF487

Kevin Doyle is 31? Shit. Not sure what his level is now, but I thought he was good for Wolverhampton when they were still in the premier league. I was always surprised when he stayed with them through both relegations, but maybe there's a reason for that.

Mully

Weak, but I get it. What's the new plan?

Petke chants at our seats rather than parading around the concourse and not sitting throughout the first half.

ESC Email said:
MqK_sn4_m8Ts09lkMiE42j403aVhqDm0U__VJu5uv5b4o4lgdQFHgiqBnh430AXvRSVOwKrl7gbIo2F-hcFMwFtY1w_ZdJafyTmAC5TuEAYqqB2gx_3qg80EuQkshv1rz3P4iIyjXZZg=s0-d-e1-ft

Late last night, the Board of Directors of the Empire Supporters Club sent an email outlining the plans for a protest that was to take place during the home opener on Sunday, March 22nd against DC United. The protest, which was passed by a vote of membership in late January, is in response to the unceremonious firing of former head coach and Metro legend Mike Petke. The guideline of the protest was a late arrival into section 101, preceded by a march around the lower bowl of Red Bull Arena.

Once the protest plans were released, we received a flood of emails and messages from our members. Nearly every single member felt this plan was not in the club’s best interest. Based on the response of our members, we feel the mood has changed since the original protest proposal was voted on in late January. Based on this change, we have elected to amend the protest to a more reasonable plan.

Instead of arriving late into the section and marching around the lower bowl of Red Bull Arena, the new protest plan is as follows. Those with tickets in 101 are asked to arrive in the section in a timely manner before the match. For the first twelve minutes of the match, we will sing a mixture of pro-Petke chants and songs, as well as display a TIFO in support of the most successful manager in club history.

For those who feel the protest is too weak and not what they originally voted on, we feel that a protest with minimal participation would be even weaker. This was the reasoning behind the plan sent out last night. It’s become clear that even a plan that we felt was a reasonable compromise would still not generate the amount of participation necessary to carry out our message. Thus, it has been decided that a change was needed in order to include as many members as possible, while simultaneously allowing us to be vocal about our displeasure with the team's decision.

We ask that any members who have reservations about protesting at all respect those that want to protest, and vice versa. We understand this is a polarizing issue and have tried to balance both sides as well as we could. We look forward to seeing you all on Sunday.

Forza Metro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom