• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
DOS A CERO!!!

And we finally didn't concede late goals against a solid opponent.

And our Domestic/B squad is better than Mexico's Domestic/B squad... at least for today... on a crappy surface. Good win.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
DOS A CERO!!!

And we finally didn't concede late goals against a solid opponent.

And our Domestic/B squad is better than Mexico's Domestic/B squad... at least for today... on a crappy surface. Good win.

The starting midfield was our A-squad, easily. They all put in a great performance, I imagine that's what we'll be seeing at the Gold Cup, everything else was totally our B-squad.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Dos a cero? Holy shit. I gotta watch this game later.

How'd we look in the back? Was Zardes starting?

The back wasn't bad, Morris and Zardes started up top. If we had our first choice strikers up top, Jozy and Dempsey, the score-line would have easily been worse for Mexico.

No one is talking about Mix. I thought he was brilliant defensively, he's improved so much in that regard in the last year. Very aggressive going after the ball and killing attacks.

Great win in suboptimal conditions. Taking the result with a grain of salt but it did exorcize a few demons.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
No one is talking about Mix. I thought he was brilliant defensively, he's improved so much in that regard in the last year. Very aggressive going after the ball and killing attacks.

I feel like it's due to being played further back for the last year or so, NYCFC in particular uses him further back than they probably should.

He was great all game though, dude killed it.

Clydefrog

Boy, that field sure was something. The same can be said about Alexi's commentary at times, lol.

Mix is going to be captain one day. I absolutely love the way he plays for the NT.

Esch

Banned
Does anyone genuinely enjoy alexi lalas on the mic? I don't think i've ever met a single person, casual or hardcore that cares for his contributions.

dos a cero <3

NH Apache

Banned
Does anyone genuinely enjoy alexi lalas on the mic? I don't think i've ever met a single person, casual or hardcore that cares for his contributions.

dos a cero <3

I enjoy him a lot. And then shake my head a lot.

I was trying to catch a replay of the game. Does Fox have full replays like watch espn? Can't seem to locate it.

dos a cero <3

I much preferred him at ESPN where he was in the studio and took sometime to come up with his alternative take on things. Fox Sports 1 is misusing him and I thought the move would be an improvement getting away from the Twellman bromance.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How good is Morris at the college level? Lalas made it sound like he wasn't even a top tier player there.

According to Klinsmann's team he could be playing professionally in Europe right now if he wanted to. Seattle would absolutely love him to go pro in MLS as well since they'd get first crack at him. He's got real skills considering he hasn't gone pro yet.

dos a cero <3

I do.

But maybe because Alexi reminds me of a GAF poster.I think he provides a nice unabashed American-centric viewpoint. Most other American commentators are either utterly bland, uniformed, or passively-patronizing.

Lalas has his faults and I prefer him as a half-time/post-game guy, but I do like that he's a big defender of the MLS yet still asks the tough questions. I agree with his viewpoint on playing for a national team. It should be something the player has pride in, not just something to up their value with their club team. I'm fine with dual nationals as long as they're not mercenaries. Lalas is the only US soccer commentator to have the balls to bring this subject up TV.

Sometimes his viewpoint/opinions are fairly off-base But I generally enjoy hearing him even when I disagree with what he's saying.

Cystm

iL3a2AglJ3UEf.png

xbhaskarx

How Homegrown signings influence every MLS roster

CCunzB8UkAIYUSM.png

But the rest lack the same excuses. Dom Kinnear’s ground-quivering wake waylaid Houston’s academy despite a handful of HG-worthy candidates, so it was fitting that he went to San Jose, one of the few MLS franchises who’ve made even less of an investment in identifying and developing future Homegrowns than Houston has. Read into this whatever you will, but Kinnear’s played Tommy Thompson, the team’s only HG in history, 10 minutes in his first six matches in charge in San Jose. And that’s with Sanna Nyasi starting games.

sigh...

A similar look at the Premier League

Osorio

So Metro finally has a radio broadcast. I guess to combat NYC's presence on WFAN

STREAM ON
Source: Red Bulls to unveil English-language radio broadcasts in San Jose match Friday

Kristian R. Dyer
BigAppleSoccer.com Contributing Editor

Fans of the New York Red Bulls have been clamoring for an English language radio deal since basically the club's inception as the NY/NJ MetroStars in 1996. Well, that day has finally arrived.

A team source tells BigAppleSoccer.com that the Red Bulls are planning to unveil the "New York Red Bulls Radio Network" in time for this Friday night's home match against the San Jose Earthquakes at Red Bull Arena.

There will be two audio streams, one in English and another in Spanish and both of the audio streams will be available on NewYorkRedBulls.com.

The voices of the stream will be well established and even includes a tip of the hat to the team's old days as the MetroStars.

Veteran soccer play-by-play voices Jonathan Yardley, Ed Cohen and Matt Harmon will rotate in the handling of the English broadcasts. Joining along side will be former MetroStars and Red Bulls standout Steve Jolley providing color commentary in the analyst role. Jolley is a fan favorite for his rugged style of play and spent four years with the MetroStars and then a season in 2006 with the Red Bulls.

Ernesto Motta, one of the top Spanish play-by-play voices in the game of soccer, will be the voice of the Spanish online broadcast.

All home matches as well as certain away matches will be made available in the online stream.

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/redbulls2.php?article_id=40793

Askani

Rift Forms Between NYCFC and Man City Fans

Manchester City is the MLS squad’s sister team, but some NYCFC fans support other English rivals

Last summer, during a friendly match between English Premier League rivals Manchester City and Liverpool in front of nearly 50,000 people at Yankee Stadium, Liverpool supporters bathed the stadium in the team’s bright red color scheme, easily overwhelming the sky-blue block of Manchester City fans.

Too bad it was more or less a home game for Manchester City. In 2013, the team’s owner, City Football Group, partnered with the Yankees to spawn New York City FC, Major League Soccer’s 20th franchise. The deal was an effort to conjoin two championship cultures from opposite sides of the Atlantic, with the newborn team slated to play its home games in Yankee Stadium (temporarily, anyway) and wear uniforms nearly identical to those worn by “the Sky Blues.”

On that day in the Bronx, though, Manchester City found no home-field advantage in the House the Jeter Built.

Eight months later, the 2015 MLS season is under way. NYCFC will play its third home game at Yankee Stadium on Thursday, and while the team has found some success in its courtship of the city, its sister club Manchester City has not. NYCFC fans don’t necessarily have any interest in supporting Manchester City; many, in fact, are longtime fans of other foreign clubs, like English rivals Manchester United or Arsenal. To local Manchester City supporters, these fans are like ungrateful children.

Daryl Brown, who has been a Manchester City fan for 39 years, said he was kicked off a fan-run NYCFC online forum after he fell into an argument with NYCFC fans.

“They are a dedicated supporters’ club who are supporting their team. I’m all for that,” Brown said. “My problem is not that I don’t see them as an independent club, it’s that they try to ignore the connection to their parent club because it’s inconvenient for some of them it’s Manchester City.”

When the bickering spilled onto Facebook, a Manchester City supporter named Christine Cleavest posted a message denouncing NYCFC’s developing culture of bad-mouthing her team. “No one is asking NYCFC supporters to support Man City,” she wrote. “I get it, we get there are folks who have their teams outside of MLS and gasp! are even knowledgeable about the sport outside of MLS. All we ask is that you stop s—ing on our team and recognize that CFG and the Yankees are the ones responsible for bringing a team here. PERIOD!”

Below her post, a war of comments erupted between the two teams’ fans. A particular bone of contention was NYCFC’s splashy signing of English star Frank Lampard, who unexpectedly extended his loan with Manchester City to the end of the English season in June instead of returning to NYCFC for the MLS season as planned. Headlines belittled NYCFC as a Manchester City farm team. Some season-ticket holders asked for refunds.

“That argument didn’t amount to much,” Cleavest said in an interview. “But it did go a long way to show how far away we are from each other in thinking.”

Chance Michaels, the president of the Third Rail, NYCFC’s official supporters group, has been an Arsenal fan for 23 years. He acknowledged that what’s good for City Football Group is also good for NYCFC—but for him, what happens in England stays in England.

“I have no problem with watching Arsenal knock the stuffing out Manchester City...and then going to Yankee stadium and cheering on our boys in blue,” Michaels said. “I can’t just wave away 20 years of goonerdom. Our local teams’ connection to a heated rival will take some getting used to.”

If there is a common ground between the two fan bases, Kevin Jones, owner of the Churchill Tavern on East 28th Street, has yet to find it. Last July, Jones, a Manchester City fan of 50 years, met with members of the Third Rail while the group was searching the area for a game-day bar.

“They were a bunch of American guys looking to emulate English supporters,” he said. “They thought we were drunken hooligans, so they started acting likewise.”

The group found another bar.

“It’s a little bit odd, to know Liverpool and Manchester United supporters over here that have season tickets for New York,” said Jones, whose Sky Blues currently trail Chelsea by 12 points in their quest for a second straight EPL championship.

As for Brown, who moved to New York from Manchester in 1981, he figures the best way for City Football Group to seduce any fan base with the New York Yankees in its DNA is simply to ensure that NYCFC is successful.

“NYCFC fans are blessed with some of the best owners on the planet,” he said. “They’ll see it at some point, once they start winning things. When that happens, I’d imagine that it’s going to be uncomfortable to continue to root for Manchester United.”

Link: http://www.wsj.com/article_email/ri...ity-fans-1429145514-lMyQjAxMTA1NzEzNjMxNTYxWj

Fernando and Edu playing. Both were questionable.

Fernando was going to attempt to play even if he lost his leg. He broke his hand and had a quad strain and still pushed through that KC game.

edit no Mix really helps.

edit edit:

New York City FCVerified account
&#8207;@NYCFC
#NYCFC Head Coach @JasonKreis is not on the sideline tonight due to illness. He is watching the match from inside Yankee Stadium.

Not a terrible first half. Inconsistent reffing but that's to be expected. Pitch is too small to get anything done. Would like to see more possession if possible.

Sad thing is, Chelsea who has barely no homegrown players is dominating the league this season

Yeah but Chelsea still has a world class academy. It's just those players struggle to get 1st team minutes because they have guys like Diego Costa, Hazard, and etc in front of them. So Chelsea's youth academy players end up getting sold off.

The MLS has the problem where the majority of the clubs spent little money/resources into their youth academy. And the Homegrown players that do come up barely get any minutes by and large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom