• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZMitch

Lol yeah I was watching. It must be tough to be England... unlucky and just not very good in general!

Beaten by a US team with only 3 bench players and without Morris :D

So uh, OTL doin' work

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...-case-includes-reports-being-belligerent-jail

It was early in the morning on June 21, 2014, and Hope Solo had just been arrested on two counts of domestic violence. The police were trying to book her into jail, but Solo was so combative that she had to be forced to the ground, prompting her to yell at one officer, "You're such a b----. You're scared of me because you know that if the handcuffs were off, I'd kick your ass."

Solo, perhaps the best women's soccer goalie in the world, had repeatedly hurled insults at the officers processing her arrest, suggesting that two jailers were having sex and calling another officer a "14-year-old boy." When asked to remove a necklace, an apparently drunk Solo told the officer that the piece of jewelry was worth more than he made in a year.

Those details are laid out in police records, and coupled with two sworn depositions obtained by Outside the Lines, other documents and interviews with one of Solo's alleged victims, they shed new light on what happened that night at her half-sister's home in suburban Seattle. The information stands in stark contrast to the image Solo has presented in court papers, on Facebook, in an espnW article this week and, most pointedly, during a February appearance on ABC's "Good Morning America." Speaking just weeks after her case had been dismissed, Solo told GMA host Robin Roberts that she was a victim, not a criminal; an embattled woman who, as she always predicted, would be vindicated; a falsely accused athlete who had her day in court, faced the facts head on and was liberated by the truth.

Hope Solo's half-sister, Teresa Obert, says the fact that Solo has blamed her son for the incident has most likely ruined their relationship forever. ESPN
There was one problem, though, with Solo's version: It wasn't entirely accurate. In fact, as the 33-year-old Solo prepares to lead the United States into Monday's opening-round match of the World Cup, her case is not over; the facts have never been aired in open court, and she has not been cleared. Rather, Solo's case in Kirkland Municipal Court was dismissed by Judge Michael Lambo on procedural grounds, and prosecutors, in a rare move that required city administrator approval, have filed an appeal with the Superior Court of Washington. Prosecutors are scheduled to file their argument by July 13, with the defense due to respond by Aug. 10. Oral arguments are scheduled for Sept. 11.

Arials

But yeah, I don't see anyone in this England U23 team that could be the backbone of their future senior squads.

It's an U20 team and it's an U20 team missing all the more talented players in this age group who are either already regulars in the senior squad or are in the U21 squad going to the Euros next week. They left a lot of the better players in this squad on the bench as well; I doubt Kwame Thomas starts over Chuba Akpom if this had been the 1st place play off game. US U20 lost to this lot back in March.

Cystm

0OfTP8V.jpg

What game is that linesman even watching? He is so far back.

Askani

I'm not going to get into it too much because regardless it's a damn close call and the AR was out of position, but I saw that image around last night and it's terrible. People were using it to justify he's not offside because he's not past the defender but he is. Look at how skewed the lines they drew are compared to the 6 yard box or the cut lines of the grass. If you think of the cut grass as a zone, their green line starts about one third into the zone but in the far end it's past the middle.

This is how I see it when I freeze frame it:

lX32TpF.png

So if they're looking at it from the perspective of the defenders, he's past the last man and would be offside...however he's looks even with the ball so he's maybe not offside. I saw a lot of Sounder's fan bitching last night online and they probably have a right to, but they're bitching about the wrong thing.

I'd be pissed if it were my team, but I add it against the tally of our bad called back goals this season and we're still in the red. Although with this one and Nemeth's offside goal from last week, we're getting close to breaking even now.

Quakes really should have scored before red card giveaway night at Avaya started up. Their defense is still solid for the most part, but they're having a lot of trouble scoring with Sherrod or Jahn out there. Definitely need an upgrade at striker sooner rather than later.

Big week for US Soccer:

Code:
June 8, 2015	7:30 PM ET	[B]WNT vs Australia[/B]	Winnipeg Stadium; Winnipeg, Canada	FOX Sports 1, NBC Universo

June 10, 2015	3:30 AM ET	[B]U-20 MNT vs Colombia[/B]	Wellington, New Zealand	FOX Sports, 	FOX Sports GO, NBC Universo, Telemundo

June 10, 2015	2:45 PM ET	[B]MNT vs Germany[/B]		RheinEnergieSTADION; Cologne, Germany	FOX Sports 1, UniMás, UDN

June 12, 2015	8 PM ET		[B]WNT vs Sweden[/B]		Winnipeg Stadium; Winnipeg, Canada	FOX, NBC Universo

New USMNT stuff:

ESPNFC:
- John Brooks close to sealing United States spot - Jurgen Klinsmann (<- wut? Brooks is talented, but he needs to develop a bit more before he's ready)
- U.S. win vs. Netherlands a touchstone in development of next generation
- USMNT failure at Italia '90 benefited Klinsmann's men in the long run

- Sciaretta at ASN: 6 Thoughts on the U.S.' Wild Win Over the Netherlands

The USMNT provisional roster for the Gold Cup was due yesterday. They were required to submit a list of 35 players. 23 will make the final roster for the group stage, and the coaches can swap in up to 6 players from the provisional list before the knock out phase. The list wasn't released, but there are a few tidbits starting to appear.

What I've seen so far....

- Julian Green isn't on the list. Klinsmann talks about it here. (Klinsi says he needs a break and some time w/ Bayern before he goes out on loan again next year)
- Jordan Morris is on the list

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The USMNT provisional roster for the Gold Cup was due yesterday. They were required to submit a list of 35 players. 23 will make the final roster for the group stage, and the coaches can swap in up to 6 players from the provisional list before the knock out phase. The list wasn't released, but there are a few tidbits starting to appear.

What I've seen so far....

- Julian Green isn't on the list. Klinsmann talks about it here. (Klinsi says he needs a break and some time w/ Bayern before he goes out on loan again next year)
- Jordan Morris is on the list

I imagine Green will be a part of Olympic Qualifying and the Olympics themselves, along with Morris. I'm actually pretty excited to see what our squad for that will look like.

One more reminder that the US U20's face off against Colombia tonight/tomorrow morning in the second round of the U20 World Cup.

Kickoff is at 3:30 AM ET from Wellington, New Zealand. TV coverage is on FOX Sports, FOX Sports GO, NBC Universo, and Telemundo.

KingGondo

Banned
If anyone's interested, my local team OKC Energy FC are in first place in the USL's Western Conference with a game in hand.

Pretty massive improvement from a year ago. I was hoping for a top 6 spot and the playoffs, but they're looking like contenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom