• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Wow. Well done by Steffen.. he gave him a TON of room at the near post so I was nervous but his positioning ended up being perfect.

Meier

Incredible that Ramos has not made a single sub yet. We have a few players who clearly need it due to tiredness or performance.

Incredible that Ramos has not made a single sub yet. We have a few players who clearly need it due to tiredness or performance.
I get that we don't necessarily have the right players on the bench, but you have to put someone in just to pick up the energy.

Man, this is getting ragged.
I don't remember it. We really could have use the pace of Jameison or Maki
It was the last play of regulation. He was put through on goal, slid a weak shot towards the back post and hit the keeper's hand. I agree on Jameison & Tall. Just tough luck with those injuries.

Welp. The US go out after many rounds of PKs.

Great effort from them tonight. Sucks to get knocked out like this when the win was there for the taking.

Lots of potential from this team, and a handful of these guys will pay for the Olympic team and the full national team in the future. Really liked what I saw from Steffen, CCV, and Payne. Hyndman, Rubin, and Zelalem all have bright futures. Ariolla was impressive, too.

I think the best part was Miazga, CCV, Arriola and of course Stefan -- they all have bright futures.

Not sure what Zlalem was doing most of the time. Some good runs, but he really didn't impress.

I love Thomson, but there's something off with him. His first touch I thought was bad tonight.

We should have done better. I'd really want Tab Ramos replaced and I want to see a team with someone else leading the helm.

Overall some guys impressed, Serbia had the size advantage and it showed. We weren't creative enough in the final 3rd to finish. Rain might have played a part of that. No excuses, Serbia was the better side tonight.

- Greg Seltzer on point here regarding PKs
And I really hate to make this remark after what just transpired with our Baby Nats, but... this was a great tourney run ended with a lesson to leave the cutesy approaches out. Do not play chess with the keeper, just hit a regular old solid try. Even a hard pass will usually do (witness the Delgado make). A little goes a long way on a penalty, do not over-think it.
Just put it on frame, preferably with some oomph behind it.

Meier

NYC making moves. Seems like they'll have signed Iraola (RB) of Athletic Club and will get Angelino on loan from MCFC within the next day or two. Angelino is a wonderful LB prospect.

Breaking Report: #usmnt forward Bobby Wood joins Stuttgart Brian Sciaretta added,
Bundesliga Latest @BL_Latest
BILD | Der VfB Stuttgart verpflichtet Bobby #Wood von 1860 München! Der US-Amerikaner sei sich mit den Schwaben einig. Ablöse: €1.2m. #VfB

- ASN: U.S. U-20s Should Be Proud of World Cup Performance
Tab Ramos' under-20 men's national team lost in the World Cup quarterfinals by the slimmest of margins—a shootout loss to Serbia—and will take many positives away from the experience in New Zealand.
OLYMPIC QUALIFYING
American soccer fans who want to see this team’s core players together again may get their chance. Here are the players from this U-20 team who I think will be quickly integrated by U-23 coach Andi Herzog and could play a role in Olympic qualifying in October.

Zach Steffen—There is little question that Steffen’s outstanding tournament now has him with a very good chance to join Cody Cropper for Olympic qualifying.

Cameron Carter Vickers—Though just 17, he is physically very strong and he reads the game extremely well. He has one of the highest upsides of any teenage American prospects in the game.

Matt Miazga—The New Jersey native helped his case immensely with a fantastic tournament. Now he has to lock down the starting spot with the Red Bulls and deliver this level of quality performances on a weekly basis.

Desevio Payne—The Dutch-American right back was a revelation in New Zealand. He made virtually no mistakes and the U.S. did not concede a goal during the 300 minutes he played. On the ball, he is very technical. His tactical understanding of the game is also very superior. His future is bright both at the club and international level. On the Olympic team, he would be a fantastic option to push DeAndre Yedlin up into the midfield.

Emerson Hyndman—The Fulham midfielder has developed strong chemistry with many of his American teammates and should be in better condition by October. He missed most of the last three months of the English Championship season due to a collarbone injury.

Gedion Zelalem—As a young player who Jurgen Klinsmann rates highly, Zelalem is likely to make the jump. He showed his quality at times in New Zealand but he will probably be in a much better position to succeed as he gets more time to gel with his teammates.

Paul Arriola—Nobody works as hard as Arriola, a high-energy athlete who will do whatever it takes to make big plays. His effort on both sides of the ball is a true asset and he is a player the team can rally around. He plays like a captain.

Rubio Rubin—After earning nearly 2,000 minutes in his rookie Eredivisie campaign, Rubin is the American most likely to have a breakout season in 2015-16. His game is very polished for his age. At the World Cup, injuries forced Rubin into an uncomfortable position of being a lone forward and as a result he was often stranded.

He is clearly ready to move up to the U-23 where he will have the opportunity to play to his strengths and combine with other forwards like Jordan Morris and Khiry Shelton. The big question is whether Utrecht would be willing to release Rubin for Olympic qualifying. With part of the tournament falling during a FIFA window, there's a chance it could happen.

ZZMitch

Holy shit guys I was waiting in the hotel lobby for my parents here in Toronto and Johnathan Osorio walked right by me! I should have said something haha. I saw a few other people in CanMNT clothing so they must be staying there. Cool

Azuran

Banned
Holy shit guys I was waiting in the hotel lobby for my parents here in Toronto and Johnathan Osorio walked right by me! I should have said something haha. I saw a few other people in CanMNT clothing so they must be staying there. Cool

Lucky. If you see Ashtone Morgan walk by, tell him he's playing great right now and to keep it up. It seems like he never gets any props :/

Man, I also forgot there's a qualifying game tomorrow. I should probably get tickets for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom