• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Husidic scores his first goal for the LA Galaxy and the third goal of the game. Nice combination of passes with many players touching the ball leading to the goal.

Nesotenso

Livescore tells me that Bedoya got a consolation goal for Nantes. How did Landon look?

Caught a lot of MLS games this weekend and the players in contention for Brazil looked good.

CobbFC09

U.S. Soccer has announced that Tom Sermanni has been relieved of his duties as head coach of the U.S. Women's National Team.
— U.S. Soccer WNT (@ussoccer_wnt) April 6th, 2014

This came out of nowhere considering they just beat China today 2-0. Maybe it's due to something going on behind the scenes?

Nesotenso

U.S. Soccer has announced that Tom Sermanni has been relieved of his duties as head coach of the U.S. Women's National Team.

This came out of nowhere considering they just beat China today 2-0. Maybe it's due to something going on behind the scenes?

they had a disappointing finish in the tournament in Portugal. I am guessing some players expressed dissatisfaction with his coaching methods and with it being so close to qualification US soccer listened to them.

edit: yeah, it looks like the players were dissatisfied and won out

CobbFC09

they had a disappointing finish in the tournament in Portugal. I am guessing some players expressed dissatisfaction with his coaching methods and with it being so close to qualification US soccer listened to them.

edit: yeah, it looks like the players were dissatisfied and won out
That appears to be the case.

Sermanni offered "no direction, no vision, nothing," one source says. Players, USSF concerned about World Cup. #uswnt
Steven Goff (‏@SoccerInsider) April 6th, 2014

Players felt they weren't learning and advancing under Sermanni. Unclear whether they went to Gulati for change. #uswnt
Steven Goff (‏@SoccerInsider) April 6th, 2014

Lalas jumping in too:

C'mon @HopeSolo, these moments are made for you!
Alexi Lalas ‏(@AlexiLalas) April 6th, 2014

Meier

I mean let's be honest, the US should be beating China 7, 8, 9, 10-0 -- something along those lines. They've been a shadow of Pia's USWNT under this guy.

CobbFC09

I mean let's be honest, the US should be beating China 7, 8, 9, 10-0 -- something along those lines. They've been a shadow of Pia's USWNT under this guy.
Oh definitely, just the timing is what has me curious. I'd understand if the Algarve Cup had just ended, but firing him right after a win means it must've been something pretty serious.

xbhaskarx

KingGondo

Banned
The OKC Energy FC played their first game on Saturday night, getting a 2-0 road win over the Orange County Blues.

My friends and I actually watched on YouTube, and I have to say--Jimmy Nielsen had done a really impressive job getting these guys on the same page in such a short amount of time.

Their defensive form at the back was really compact and effective (I think OC had 1 shot on goal) and we constantly looked dangerous going forward. The quality of play was a lot better than I thought it would be.

Game #2 is tonight against LA Galaxy II, which should be a better test.

It sucks we have to wait until the end of April for the home opener! Really looking forward to it now!

CobbFC09

Former USWNT player Julie Foudy chiming in:
Julie Foudy on Twitter said:
I'm told @ussoccer askd #uswnt pl's not to comment on social media re: Sermanni. I think mistake as silence makes many think pl driven.

I get that sports/coaching can b brutal business. What I don't get is how Sermanni stunned by this. Why not convo 1st abt need 4 improvmt.

- Grant Wahl spoke with Tom Sermanni who was "completely blindsided" by his firing (SI.com)
- Sunil Gulati will be speaking to the media in a conference call at 4:30pm ET today.

xbhaskarx

Pulisic hat-trick propels U.S. U-17s to Josip Katalinski International Tournament title

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/04/katalinski-international-tournament.html

Combined in the three-match tournament, Pulisic, Wright, and Gallardo scored a total of nine goals.

The tournament title is the U-17s third title in the last four months. The U.S. won the Nike International Friendlies in Florida last December and followed that up with the Aegean Cup title in Turkey last January.

In addition to the impressive goal-scoring, U.S. defender Andrew Arellano was named the tournament’s best defender.

Excuse my ignorance, but you don't have to be 21 and under to play for U21s? Or is it just a name.
The current rule is that you can have a few over 21 players since the reserve league no longer exists. Lots of players that are trying to regain fitness or are in the doghouse play for the U21s.

EDIT: Here's the team sheet:
jyJJboa.jpg

Machine

Question for you soccer fans. As a Michigan football season ticket holder, I can purchase tickets to the Manchester United v Real Madrid game here in Ann Arbor. Problem is, the ticket prices are absurdly high (over $200 for the best stadium seats). Is there any possibility of making a profit by scalping them or should I just forget about it and move on?

FuturusX

Not a regular poster in this thread...but I'll say that Jozy not making bench is crazy. Sunderland are in big trouble and they need all the goals they can get. Even if Jozy isn't the best choice. All senior strikers should be made available. They were well beaten 5-1 today...they are very likely going down..this is the time to be bold.

KingGondo

Banned
The OKC NASL team's new logo is rather mediocre:
OklahomaCityFC
BkpR2zrCUAEEL4b.jpg

I think these would have worked well as the rival OKC team logos, but they were both designed by the USL Pro group...
Correction, Oklahoma City FC is an NPSL club, not NASL.

An NASL club was planned, but the owner became equal partners in the USL Pro team, OKC Energy FC.

xbhaskarx

Pelosi returns as U21s sink Chelsea

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/160739-pelosi-returns-as-u21s-sink-chelsea

They were boosted by the return of Pelosi, after the midfielder was sidelined for 14 months with a broken leg. Named as a substitute, the American starlet entered the fray on 76 minutes, replacing goalscorer Dunn for his first piece of action since February 2013.

Edit: depressing that our top forward "almost scored" for the U-21s, and same goes for a kid coming back from a broken leg and getting substitute minutes in his first game in 14 months...

In the ninth minute Altidore judged a high ball well to turn the Spurs defence before his powerful shot flashed agonisingly past the base of the post.

Two minutes later Pelosi entered the fray for Dunn and the American came close to a dream return with a goal, only to be denied on 82 minutes.

xbhaskarx

I don't mind FCs when it's Seattle Sounders FC (no one actually calls them that, same with Chicago Fire SC), I don't mind the pretentiousness of the FC thing. But I'm sick of [City Name] FC teams. How bland, unoriginal, and lazy. We already have two of those, Dallas and Toronto, and that's enough. Just like we now have two City teams (NYC and Orlando). Minnesota United would make two Uniteds along with DC. That's it, future teams those are off limits, how about a little creativity.

KingGondo

Banned
Looks like LA Galaxy II won 4-2. I only saw the last 10 minutes and they really did not play that well. Djokovic scored a goal in extra time, lol.
They dominated the first half after the Energy went up 1-0. Set pieces killed us.

Still, I'm happy we fought back in the second half on the road. Team looks very good for an expansion franchise.

Meier

A few American youth players have signed pro contracts with European teams.

Andrija Novakovich (USMNT U-18 forward) signed with Reading
Dembakwi ("Boxi") Yomba (USMNT U-18 forward) signed with Atletico Madrid

xbhaskarx

Nashville FC, 100 percent supporter-owned NPSL club, announce home stadium for 2014

Last week, the club announced its home venue for the upcoming 2014 debut season (above video) — Vanderbilt Soccer Complex, located on the campus of Vanderbilt University. The 2,400-seat stadium is considered one of the best collegiate soccer venues in the country.

The club also unveiled its brand new, custom website this week - NashvilleFC.net. They are also still accepting founding memberships for those interested in being part of the club's inaugural season, which begins May 10.

For $75, you could become a "Founder" of the club, which means you get a vote on all major decisions regarding the club, free admission to regular-season home games and the Nashville FC "Founders" scarf. For $40, you could simply become a Member of Nashville FC, still holding voting power in all major decisions regarding the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom