• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osorio

Don't think NASL will ever come close to MLS in terms of revenue, media attention, or popularity but it'll do wonders for the Open Cup.

I'm highly anticipating the first Red Bulls vs. Cosmos showdown.

xbhaskarx

Copa America Centenario Coming to USA

beIN SPORTS has exclusively learned that the long-rumored Copa America Centenario is coming to the United States in 2016.

The long-rumored Copa America Centenario is about to become a reality.

beIN SPORTS has learned than an official announcement that the 2016 tournament will be coming to the United States is imminent and could happen as early as May 1. The tournament would be the biggest sporting event held in the U.S. since the 2002 Winter Olympics and the most prestigious soccer event since the 1994 World Cup.

The tournament has been in the planning stages for years as part of the 100th anniversary of the first Copa America and the founding of CONMEBOL, South America's governing body for soccer. Original plans had the tournament taking place in both the United States and Mexico in an effort to tap into the vast expat communities in both nations—not to mention increased access to television and stadium revenues and sponsorship dollars. A source inside CONCACAF, the confederation that governs North and Central American soccer, told beIN SPORTS that the decision has been made that the U.S. will host the tournament.

Back in October 2012, CONMEBOL appeared to jump the gun by announcing the tournament was ready to go. The United States Soccer Foundation and CONCACAF said that while they were interested, there were still several issues that needed to be addressed. Apparently, those concerns have now been resolved.

This past January, Spanish sports daily Marca announced that the venues for the tournament had already been chosen: the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif., Stanford Stadium in Palo Alto, Calif., MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., the Citrus Bowl, in Orlando, Fla., R.F.K. Stadium in Washington D.C., and Reliant Stadium in Houston. There was no confirmation from beIN SPORTS sources on the stadiums that will be used, other than to say the tournament would be "nationwide."

All 10 teams from the South American confederation will participate. The United States, Mexico and four additional CONCACAF teams will join them.

Dartastic

Found a pic of the other part of the tifo.
mbags.jpg

NoRéN;107804925 said:
To think it was almost 20 years ago that I went and watched this guy get elbowed the fuck out by Leonardo.
Were you at the game? I watched at a nearby bar in Palo Alto but didn't have tickets.
whoa, what happened?
I'm not sure - maybe they just posted it before they wanted to. There wasn't anything controversial in the article

NoRéN

Were you at the game? I watched at a nearby bar in Palo Alto but didn't have tickets.
I'm not sure - maybe they just posted it before they wanted to. There wasn't anything controversial in the article

Yeah, I was there. I would have been at a bar but i was 7 at the time. :)

xbhaskarx

ESPN3 To Show NASL Match of the Week

ESPN3 will deliver a North American Soccer League ‘Match of the Week’ throughout the 2014 season, which kicks off this weekend on Saturday, April 12.

ESPN3 will carry the NASL debut of Indy Eleven when the expansion club takes on the Carolina RailHawks at 7.30pm ET this Saturday, April 12.

The long-awaited first Indy Eleven game will be played before a packed Carroll Stadium and fans who are unable to get a ticket to the match will be able to watch all the action live through ESPN3.

The collaboration between ESPN3 and the NASL will feature a key matchup every week during the 2014 Spring and Fall Seasons, delivering a total of 27 games on ESPN’s live multi-screen sports network available in more than 92 million households nationwide.

Meier

You are so much older than I envision. In fact, you're like a vampire or some shit. Every fact I find out over the years means you're even older than I might have guessed! :lol

Wow, that's really cool. I wonder if they'll strike a deal with USL Pro or if Fox might perhaps? I find the Youtube streams for USL Pro to be a little unreliable at times. If nothing else, they might spend a few more bucks!

NoRéN

You are so much older than I envision. In fact, you're like a vampire or some shit. Every fact I find out over the years means you're even older than I might have guessed! :lol
Same here. I'm just waiting on cornballer to tell us what it was like watching the USMNT beat England the last time he was in Brazil. :)

Meier

NoRéN;107832294 said:
Same here. I'm just waiting on cornballer to tell us what it was like watching the USMNT beat England the last time he was in Brazil. :)

I've played FIFA with him online for a few years now even! He doesn't sound like a 40 year old...

xbhaskarx

Minnesota United FC kicks off soccer season amid MLS expansion rumors

When its season starts Saturday, United FC will continue its effort to ingrain its newer brand of professional soccer in Minnesota. But, meanwhile, another brand is being bandied about: Major League Soccer.

Minneapolis is considered a frontrunner for a final spot in MLS' expansion plans to reach 24 teams by 2020, a league source told Sports Illustrated this week.

Also, Twins owner Jim Pohlad confirmed this week that his family is interested in investing in a possible MLS franchise with United owner Bill McGuire.

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank is expected to pay somewhere between $70 and $100 million to bring an expansion franchise to Atlanta in possibly 2017, SI.com said.

In January 2013, the North American Soccer League sold its Minnesota franchise to McGuire, the former UnitedHealth Group CEO who a few years ago made Forbes' list of 400 Richest Americans with a net worth of more than $1 billion. McGuire rebranded the franchise as Minnesota United FC last March after previous pro soccer iterations in Minnesota went by the names Stars, Thunder and Kicks.

Dartastic

Okay. I've had a few whiskeys, and here's the thing. I've somehow managed to make my way to all home games at PTFC so far even though I'm poor as fuck. I managed to acquire two tickets to the game tomorrow vs. Chivas. If we don't get 3 points I'm seriously gonna start freaking out about our season. I don't think that'll actually happen because of last week, because like, our attack seems to be getting it's shit together? But man. If we can't get 3 points vs. Chivas....

Also, I got two tickets to go see the All Star Game. Really excited about that. WHEEEEEEEEEEE MLS IS GOING TO GET DESTROYEEEED

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Okay. I've had a few whiskeys, and here's the thing. I've somehow managed to make my way to all home games at PTFC so far even though I'm poor as fuck. I managed to acquire two tickets to the game tomorrow vs. Chivas. If we don't get 3 points I'm seriously gonna start freaking out about our season. I don't think that'll actually happen because of last week, because like, our attack seems to be getting it's shit together? But man. If we can't get 3 points vs. Chivas....

Also, I got two tickets to go see the All Star Game. Really excited about that. WHEEEEEEEEEEE MLS IS GOING TO GET DESTROYEEEED

You can't underestimate any team in MLS. There's no reason to freak out this early in the season.

No Altidore in the 18 for Sunderland today. :/

More u-21 action for him? Seems like he didn't even do well for them last week either. I was reading earlier he missed a chance with that squad last week.

If they can get rid of him in the summer I think he's done in England. I reaaly don't see another team taking a chance with him. Maybe he should test out another country if the option comes up. He is on the verge of becoming a journeyman though.

Clearly Jozy was the big problem for Sunderland, they look unstoppable without him

They have tons of issues but he isn't proving himself at all. Plenty of players end up on bad teams and still make a great impression. His first touch has wasted away several chances and honestly he looks slow and sluggish. The most frustrating part for me is watching him block out other players to only miss routine headers near mid field. Little things like this add up when you are repeatedly giving up possession.

As someone pointed out on another website, Cameron has more goals with stoke this season than Altidore and he's a defender.

Maybe he will have a great world cup but I'm not thinking he's in a group for that to really happen. I think it's possible for a few players to jump in front of him for the start.

Seltzer and Sciaretta both noted later that Altidore is carrying a minor injury which could explain (in part) his absence from the lineup or bench today.

Seltzer and Sciaretta both noted later that Altidore is carrying a minor injury which could explain (in part) his absence from the lineup or bench today.

Did he question Gus's tactics recently? I saw a few mentions of this as well. Not sure about the injury since he played for the reserves last week and did poorly from what I read.

Giaccherini has basically been dropped and not used as well. He did make the bench this week though. It's almost like Sunderland expects to be relegated and they are trying out players they expect to stay to see what they may need for next season.

Koko

Banned
Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber to undergo treatment for prostate cancer

NEW YORK - Major League Soccer announced Saturday that MLS Commissioner Don Garber has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. He has undergone a series of comprehensive tests and the cancer has not spread. Based on the stage of his cancer, his doctors expect he will have a full recovery.

Garber, 56, will continue managing the league during treatment. He has begun treatment at Sloan Kettering Memorial Hospital, which will be followed by surgery at Mt. Sinai Hospital. Both hospitals are located in New York City.

“Obviously no one wants to hear that they have cancer,” Garber said in a statement. “However, I am being treated by exceptional doctors at two of the top hospitals in the world and am confident, as are they, that the prostate cancer will be successfully treated, with a full recovery. I plan on keeping a normal schedule and will continue managing the league and Soccer United Marketing during my course of treatment. With the support of my family, friends, colleagues and doctors, I am feeling very strong, energized and extremely focused.

“Other than skin cancer, prostate cancer is the most common cancer in American men. It will affect one in seven men during their lifetime." Garber added. “I hope through my experience that I will be able to create awareness of prostate cancer and encourage men to get regular testing, the surest way to ensure a successful outcome for those who get the disease."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom