• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I follow, just wasn't able to watch the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtJ4EonEnsA

Before the start of the season, there was talk on whether the Reign were going to be able to live up to the hype, because due to the draft + Pinoe's announcement to commit full-time, they looked phenom on paper. No joke - compared to the Thorns and FCKC, they're on another level. Hope got her first ever (as a Reign GK, of course) shut out.

xbhaskarx

Indy Eleven's opener proves Indy is ready for soccer

Professional soccer has tried here in Indianapolis, and it's failed, for any number of different reasons. But if opening night is any indication, owner Ersal Ozdemir and Wilt have a winning proposition on their hands. Fans came early and stayed late, and were rewarded with an entertaining draw.

The Eleven sold more than 7,000 season tickets in short order, and would have sold more than 10,000 if they'd have chosen to do so. They cut it off at 7,000 in the interest of drawing new fans to the games, specifically group-ticket sales and single-game tickets. Little wonder the Eleven is already thinking about building its own soccer-only stadium and moving up to Major League Soccer. Clearly, there is a market here for the sport of the millennials.

"The reaction, the noise, it's nothing like I've seen or heard before," Wilt said. "We had a bigger crowd (more than 36,000) for our first game (with the Chicago Fire) but the passion is greater here. The big part is the community here has totally bought in. Look around: How many Indy Eleven jerseys have you seen, and sweatshirts and scarves? Our first year in Chicago, we didn't see that until we got well into the season. Indy bought into the Indy Eleven before we ever started."

The heartbeat of the Eleven is the Brickyard Battalion, a group of roughly 2,000 soccer zealots who have turned the west end zone into the city's biggest pep rally. It's Area 55 and the G2 Zone on steroids. From the opening kickoff until the very end, they stand, they chant, they sing. It is a taste of international soccer on local soil.

Potential ownership unveils plans for pro soccer in Louisville

Louisville Slugger Field configured for USL Pro soccer:
ka465Bd.jpg

BlMEGzCCUAAebQv.jpg

MLS Atlanta announcement is Wednesday

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It is sad that Indy probably has more season ticket holders than DC United. I think we are one of two MLS teams that don't publish our numbers.

xbhaskarx

When do the U-18 guys play Mexico?

Not sure, was that today?

In other news:

New York City F.C. to Play at Yankee Stadium for Three Years

New York City F.C., a team that will enter Major League Soccer next year, will play its first three seasons at Yankee Stadium, according to two people familiar with the team’s plans.

The team, which is jointly owned by the Yankees and Manchester City of the Premier League, is expected to make the announcement next week.

The question of where the team would play its home games has hovered since it was announced last May that the club would join the league, delaying plans for everything from marketing and advertising to season ticket sales. The team has frequently promised a decision — it told the league in January that it would have a plan in 30 days — but has consistently missed even those self-imposed deadlines, to the frustration of M.L.S. officials and prospective fans.

The Yankee Stadium solution is a temporary reprieve; the team must find a site for a permanent home and construct it, and the three-year commitment at Yankee Stadium could be a hint at how difficult that might be.

After community opposition derailed plans for a stadium in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park last year, the Yankees turned their attention to a site near Yankee Stadium. In August, the Yankees’ president, Randy Levine, said the team was in negotiations for a nine-acre parcel between the Major Deegan Expressway and East 153rd Street that could accommodate a 25,000-to-30,000-seat stadium with connections to subways and rail lines.

But the team has announced no progress since then, and with the 2015 season less a year away, the announcement of a temporary home will buy the club some time.

good luck trying to get that stadium while DiBlasio is still in office.

Doubt he's willing to use public funding on it. SodaBerg would have jumped at the chance.

Meier

good luck trying to get that stadium while DiBlasio is still in office.

Doubt he's willing to use public funding on it. SodaBerg would have jumped at the chance.

Yeah, the club got formally announced because they had a deal with Bloomberg in place for that stadium in Flushing Meadows. DiBlasio killed it.

What a shitty situation for NYCFC. Maybe they should've closed the deal on a stadium before they announced a team.
Garber wanted that cash money. All he has are his word and his balls and he break them for anybody. I think we will find they will be playing in Yankee Stadium for more than three years.

Just being loosely associated with MLS has done wonders for potential USL investors. Brahs must think there is a pyramid or something.

Meier

Supposedly the deal to put it in the Bronx near Yankee Stadium isn't fully dead:
Mayor Bill de Blasio has not given up on former mayor Michael Bloomberg's proposal for a soccer stadium near Yankee Stadium.

"The de Blasio administration has begun a dialogue with key stakeholders on how to best proceed on the construction of a soccer stadium that also invests in community benefits, preserves public space and provides good-paying jobs," Marti Adams, a de Blasio spokesperson, told Capital.
Can't see any way it happens if this part is accurate though:
In order for the old deal to acquire a new life, one of those sources told me that in addition to the intra-borough elevator company relocation and a deal with the bondholders, the New York City Football Club would have to be willing to move forward with no subsidies, direct or indirect.
http://www.capitalnewyork.com/artic...e-blasio-begins-dialogue-bronx-soccer-stadium

No way this thing gets built without some government subsidies.

xbhaskarx

Manchester City best paid team in global salary survey

NYCFC owned by the top two...
Global sports salaries survey 2014 results - top 20
Ave annual pay $

Manchester City

New York Yankees

Los Angeles Dodgers

Real Madrid

Barcelona

Brooklyn Nets

Bayern Munich

Manchester United

Chicago Bulls

Chelsea

Arsenal

NY Knicks

Detroit Tigers

Philadelphia Phillies

Boston Red Sox

Miami Heat

San Francisco Giants

Juventus

LA Lakers

Liverpool

Here are some key findings from the 2014 survey:
  • Biggest fallers from last year’s top 10 were Milan of Serie A, down from sixth to 27th
  • Biggest pay increase year-on-year in percentage terms (average salary) is at Toronto FC of MLS with a 256% increase in average salary to around $600,000 per player per year, which the report claims is largely down to signing big name players such as England star Jermain Defoe, midfielder Michael Bradley and Brazil goalkeeper Júlio César
  • The NBA is the highest-paying league as a whole, with 441 players at 30 teams in the 2013-14 season earning an average of £2.98m per year each
  • The Premier League is the best paying football league in the world, with the average annual pay at £2.27m per player

- A few updates from Greg Seltzer:
Yes, Jozy Altidore is back in the traveling squad for the to trip to Manchester City tonight. Does he make the 18? We shall see. You already know what I think they should do, but Gus Poyet even got some stick for it in England when he entirely left the US striker out of the cup final loss to Citeh. Yeah, that was weird.

Meanwhile, Timothy Chandler has resumed training with the ball, but still on the side. May both he and all my dinged St. Louis Blues stars regain full fitness very soon. Amen.

Also, folks have been wondering what suddenly happened to Sacha Kljestan at Anderlecht. A mainstay for most of his time in Brussels, Inspector Kljouseau has started just four of 12 matches since returning from a winter injury, with a DNP in in six of them and another two in which he was pulled at halftime.

What has changed? Well, Cheikhou Kouyaté is now sliding into defensive midfield, but there is a much more pronounced reason. And that reason is a 16-year-old Belgium prodigy named Youri Tielemans.

Meier

Just noticed I'm back on top in the fantasy MLS league. Now if only I could get my 3rd defender to ever play.. only had 2 guys play in all but one week when it was just 1! :lol

xbhaskarx

Which Leagues Have The Highest Average Player Salaries?

This week, Sporting Intelligence and ESPN the Magazine released the Global Sports Salary Survey 2014, a worldwide look at which leagues pay the most on a per-athlete basis.

To help break these figures down, Reddit-user DrinkDaddysWater compiled the data into the boxplots above. For those not familiar, the rectangles stretch from the 25th-percentile team to the 75th-percentile team in each league, with the median marked as the black line and the mean marked as the red "x." The dots that fall beyond the boxplot "whiskers" are outliers, which in this case are mostly crazy rich teams.

The NBA's average salary of $4.5 million makes it the highest-compensated league, but Manchester City* is the highest-paid team, with an average salary of $8.1 million (all figures U.S.). Only four other squads—the Yankees, the Dodgers, Real Madrid, and Barcelona—crack the $7 million mark. As the box plots make clear, this gap means more in La Liga, which has a median salary around $1 million, than it does in the EPL or MLB.

So, if you're trying to maximize your salary, which league should you aim for? While it seems like the NBA is the way to go, this data doesn't really tell the whole story—namely, that you are bad at sports and will never play in any of these leagues.

*It's marked as "Manchester United" on the chart, which is wrong.

Yo dawg, I heard you like injuries. My fantasy team could always use more injuries.

That, and the lack of time to check it from week to week

xbhaskarx

Orlando City stadium project announcement

Orlando City SC and the City of Orlando have announced the selection of Populous as the lead architect and Barton Malow as the construction manager for the new, downtown Major League Soccer (MLS) stadium. Orlando City concurrently announced the selection of ICON Venue Group to serve as the Club’s owner’s representative overseeing the project.

The stadium is expected to break ground in 2014 and is funded through a 50/50 public-private partnership, with $40 million pledged by the Club and the remainder via public contributions secured to date from Orange County, City of Orlando, Seminole County and Osceola County. Orlando City SC has agreed to cover any cost overruns associated with the project. The stadium will be operated by the City of Orlando.

Hopefully we'll see stadium renderings soon...

Dartastic

I just wanna congratulate all RBNY fans in here for their first win of the season. Hopefully the Timbers will follow suit this weekend.

...although to be completely honest, I don't think we will. I don't think we've EVER beaten RSL at home, and last year they were our Kryptonite. I know the MLS podcast March to the Match thinks it's our best chance of the year so far to pull out a win, but with the form we're in... yeah........ I'd be happy with a tie.

NoRéN

Altidore rode the bench today. Sunderland started with a younger forward who went on to score 2 against City for a draw.

Damn shame for our main striker.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I just wanna congratulate all RBNY fans in here for their first win of the season. Hopefully the Timbers will follow suit this weekend.

...although to be completely honest, I don't think we will. I don't think we've EVER beaten RSL at home, and last year they were our Kryptonite. I know the MLS podcast March to the Match thinks it's our best chance of the year so far to pull out a win, but with the form we're in... yeah........ I'd be happy with a tie.

It's about damn time. Hopefully they can keep it up.

It was great to finally get a win under our belts. The sense of relief in the stadium at the final whistle was audible. I just hope we can build on it.

Luis Robles is love, Luis Robles is life.

Time to watch the car crash that is a "soccer in the US"-related thread in OT.

methodman

Banned
NoRéN;108452151 said:
Altidore rode the bench today. Sunderland started with a younger forward who went on to score 2 against City for a draw.

He'd had plenty of opportunities imo. Just played incredibly poorly for an entire freaking year. Smh

Nesotenso

NoRéN;108452151 said:

unless someone else is injured, I can see Jozy getting limited action to close out the season. Bad news for the national team heading into the world cup.

daoster

unless someone else is injured, I can see Jozy getting limited action to close out the season. Bad news for the national team heading into the world cup.

Horrible, horrible timing. But remind me if I'm wrong, but weren't we going through a similar angst during the lead up to 2010 World Cup? I remember we were all praying for Charlie Davies to make a miraculous recovery, Jozy was stinking it up there too, and we had to use the likes of Edson Buddle and Robbie Findley.

At least Aron Johannsson and Wondo seem like better options than Buddle and Findley were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom