• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Akale signing with Villareal

Mukwelle Akale is headed to Spain to sign a precontract with Villarreal on Monday, multiple sources told TopDrawerSoccer.com on Friday. The precontract with the La Liga side is necessary, as Akale does not turn 18 until January 18.

The U.S. U18 Men’s National Team midfielder is one of the most skilled prospects in the youth national team structure. With sublime ball control, excellent field vision, and a knack for scooting around larger opponents, Akale has become a focal point of the offense while playing as the attacking midfielder with the youth national team.

xbhaskarx

USL Pro Coming to St Louis

Filed in the category of open secrets, I can tell you today that there is now a registered website tied to a USL Pro team that signed paperwork this week with the league to begin play in 2015. The other piece of news I’ve heard is that there will be a formal press conference next week, with May 1st the target date.

Not much to see right now but you may want to bookmark StLouisUSLPRO.com. As to whether there is or will be a Major League Soccer affiliation I can’t say. I have heard of some local outreach that has begun to area supporters. And there are a couple of other clues that have leaked….

Bring back AC St Louis
AC_St_Louis_logo.svg

Osorio

St. Louis should be in mls. Too bad there isn't a moneybags owner around to make it happen

Also what's up with Houston? They went in droves to a shitty college stadium that apparently was in the hood, but they won't show up to a brand new stadium downtown.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
St. Louis should be in mls. Too bad there isn't a moneybags owner around to make it happen

Also what's up with Houston? They went in droves to a shitty college stadium that apparently was in the hood, but they won't show up to a brand new stadium downtown.

Maybe it's harder to get to?

I just started getting into MLS when I learned that Atlanta is going to be getting a team in a few years.

One question: Does MLS Live have replays of past games from this season?

Maybe it's harder to get to?
Nah, its like five minutes from the old stadium. Maybe the closer proximity to the Astros has killed enthusiasm.

Also, iirc, my mum was complaining about higher ticket prices. The family's had a pair of season tickets since the first season.

The Quakes are going to host Atletico Madrid on July 27th. Good friendly for them to set up, but it's disappointing that it's at Candlestick.

ATF487

I had no idea you were at the game. I didn't check the thread during it :(

Should meet up for one

Word. Do you have season tickets? I only usually go to a handful of games per year.

Also Dominic Oduro's haircut was discussed on Football Weekly, AC Jimbo was a fan

xbhaskarx

John Anthony Brooks makes the Kicker team of the week for the third time... despite the injuries and missed games, controversial back tattoos, bad form and benchings, criticism from the coach, etc. that's only two less than Lahm.

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/...iga/2013-14/32/elf-des-tages-am-spieltag.html

Emerson Hyndman stars in Fulham's win vs. Chelsea in FA Youth Cup final

Fulham Under-21 playmaker Emerson Hyndman scored and set up the winner as the home side staged a late rally to top archnemeses Chelsea 3-2 in Monday's first leg of the FA Youth Cup final.

The 18-year-old grandson of former FC Dallas boss Schellas Hyndman helped start the comeback with an assist. Not long after the finish from one of his restarts was cleared from the line, Hyndman's corner kick was nodded home by young striker Moussa Dembélé in the 69th minute to level matters.

Only two minutes later, Hyndman put the junior Cottagers ahead to stay after a close call in their defensive end. The youngster got loose in midfield and matched the goal he bagged in the semifinal opener against Reading with a partially deflected drive from above the box.

The west London rivals will reunite at Stamford Bridge on May 5 for the second and deciding leg of Fulham's first ever FA Youth Cup Final.

Well snap, looks like I'm top of the table in the fantasy league.

Dartastic, you didn't get in to the fantasy league right? I just want to confirm if you're down there with your boys the way I'm up top with mine... :)

Ooops, fixed the link for you. Sorry about that.

He makes a good point that it might end up being Johannsson vs Wondo for a spot, and Aron is a big favorite in that matchup.

xbhaskarx

Chandler and Ream poised for second chances

It took Ream some time to settle in at Bolton, but he really put things together this season. He has played everywhere along the backline, and even in midfield, but has settled in as a consistent central defender and left back for the Trotters, and on Tuesday Ream was voted the team's Player of the Year by the club's supporter's association.

For Chandler, a call-up might seem even more surprising, given the fact he only just returned from missing more than two months with a torn meniscus, and because he hasn't been a part of the national team setup since that forgettable day in Honduras.

What Chandler's recent injury layoff makes it easy to forget is that he was in outstanding form before the injury. He was playing extremely well for Nuremberg and looked like a very viable candidate to return to the U.S. setup and challenge for the wide-open right back position. Unfortunately for him, the injury hit, and he once again fell off most observers' radar.

Klinsmann wasn't one of those observers, and when he took to Twitter on Saturday to point out that Chandler's return to action for Nuremberg was "Good news" it was clear the U.S. coach still sees Chandler as an option.

And why shouldn't he? When healthy and on form, Chandler is the most well-rounded right back option in the pool. While Geoff Cameron has really solidified his game as the starting right back at Stoke City, he doesn't offer Chandler's attacking threat. And other than Cameron, none of the other right back options can really match up to Chandler, who it is easy to forget was impressive for the U.S. at right back and left back in the early months of Klinsmann's tenure as U.S. coach.

xbhaskarx

OblongCooperativeGelding.gif

Uh oh

Oscar Parjea today revealed Kellyn Acosta will miss 6-12 weeks with an avulsion fracture of the left kneecap.

An avulsion fracture is where a tendon or ligament is pulled away from where it connects to the bone. The fact, at least at this point, Acosta will not need surgery is a good thing. Most avulsion fractures do not require surgery, so not being at that next level of severity should be considered the ‘good news’.

- MLS Soccer: It is official: Copa América will be held on US soil in special centennial tournament in 2016
The 45th edition of the South American championship for national teams, to be held on the 100th anniversary of the inaugural tournament in 1916, will take place outside of South America for the first time ever. It will be hosted by the US as part of an agreement between CONMEBOL, the South American federation, and CONCACAF, the federation for North and Central America and the Caribbean, that will see the 10 South American teams joined by six teams from the North American region.

After months of rumors, the tournament was officially announced on Thursday in a press conference held by CONCACAF and CONMEBOL in Miami. The tournament will officially be called the Copa América Centenario.

Now held every four years, the tournament normally features the 10 South American teams and two guest teams, and it will be held in Chile in 2015. Uruguay's 15 tournament titles is the record, set with its victory in 2011. Argentina (14 titles) and Brazil (8 titles) are the other traditional powers, with Brazil winning four of the last six tournaments. Argentina has not triumphed since 1993.

Brian Straus said:
6 CONCACAF countries in Copa Centenario: USA, Mexico, 2014 CA and Carib champs, 2 more teams based on 2015 Gold Cup finish/playoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom