• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian Straus said:
Wow, a detail! Webb says 2016 Copa America will be played June 3-26. Euro June 10-July 10, Olympics Aug 5-21. Copa not yet on FIFA calendar.

CONCACAF/CONMEBOL basically could've sent a couple tweets w/ the info we just got. But why not get together? Sure the buffet is really nice.

Not news:
Klinsmann on twitter said:
We will bring all 30 players on #WorldCup preliminary roster into camp in Stanford. Will be a great competition for spots! #RoadtotheRoster
Other articles:
- Carlisle for ESPN: U.S. to host 2016 Copa America

- MLS Soccer: Player's Perspective: Ex-MLSer Bobby Warshaw on the relationship between players and the media

By the way, if anyone wants to take a deep-dive into tactics, Jonathan Wilson wrote a long article on tika-taka and counterattacking for the Guardian. Heavily technical, but worth a look. Given part of his conclusion that you ultimately need to tailor the system on what your available player pool looks like, I'm curious how Klinsmann is going to set up the USMNT this Summer. The US will be seriously outgunned in at least two of their group games (and Ghana's going to be a dogfight), so trying to take the initiative probably won't be on the cards. The concerning bit is the lack of experience against very high level competition of late. The upcoming friendlies against Azerbaijan, Turkey, and Nigeria aren't exactly times to practice the bunker & counter strategy.

daoster

Question:

Would you guys rather we play beautiful soccer and crash out, or play a strong defensive style and go for the counter, and get beyond the group stage.

One may dictate where our program is headed in the future, the other is more or less how we've always played (against the better teams).

- Brian Straus for SI: ’16 Copa América has epic potential, but logistics take logic out of long-term unification

- Player of the season #2 for Tim Ream: Tim Ream wins club's Player of the Year award

Question:

Would you guys rather we play beautiful soccer and crash out, or play a strong defensive style and go for the counter, and get beyond the group stage.

One may dictate where our program is headed in the future, the other is more or less how we've always played (against the better teams).
It depends. There's no sense in naively getting hammered in all three games, but if the US picked up 4 pts and played with some style while not advancing then I'd be more for it. I guess my take is that imposing your will on the opposing team is important (e.g. make them adapt to your game to the extent that's possible), but how you impose yourself can often be something other than maintaining possession and pinging the ball around. As far as where the future goes, I think it's more important how the US youth are being trained than how the USMNT lines up for 3+ World Cup matches.

xbhaskarx

I don't even understand the debate... do US fans think we should be "above it" when Real Madrid, Man United (not just under Moyes), Chelsea, etc. are not? How does that make sense when our best players aren't good enough to play for those teams?

xbhaskarx

USL PRO Announces St. Louis Expansion
Joins Colorado Springs, Tulsa as 2015 additions

USL PRO is pleased to announce the return of professional soccer to St. Louis, Missouri by awarding an expansion franchise to SLSG PRO LLC that will join the league starting in the 2015 season. Longtime St. Louis business executive and soccer advocate Jim Kavanaugh will serve as CEO of SLSG PRO, overseeing the operations of the franchise.

Kavanaugh is also the CEO of World Wide Technology which he co-founded 1990. WWT is one of FORTUNE’s “100 Best Companies to Work For” and has grown into a global systems integrator with more than $6 billion in annual revenue and more than 2,400 employees worldwide.

St. Louis is the third USL PRO expansion team announced for 2015, joining Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC and Tulsa Roughnecks FC, with additional announcements expected in the coming months.

The St. Louis franchise will compete at the 5,000-seat Soccer Park in Fenton, Mo. The team will be led by head coach Dale Schilly, who has nearly 30 years of coaching experience at every level.

Colorado Rapids announce 5-year deal with Ciao Telecom as club's first-ever jersey sponsor

The Colorado Rapids announced on Thursday that they have inked a five-year deal for the first jersey sponsorship in franchise history, and they will debut the new kits at home against the LA Galaxy on Saturday (9 pm ET, MLS Live).

The club’s pioneering kit sponsor is Global telecommunications company Ciao Telecom. The Ciao logo to be featured on the club’s primary and alternate match jerseys, training and travel gear, as well as in stadium at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park.

So that leaves ChivasUSA, San Jose, and Houston...

Backline WCQ starts and caps list:

hLYMq8c.png

xbhaskarx

soccer tournaments over the next few years...
2013: World Cup qualifying hex, Gold Cup in US, Confederations Cup in Brazil, U-20 World Cup in Turkey, U-17 World Cup in UAE, [AfCoN in South Africa]
2014: World Cup in Brazil
2015: Gold Cup, U-20 World Cup in New Zealand, U-17 World Cup in Chile, Women's World Cup in Canada, [Copa América in Chile], [AfCoN in Morocco], [Asian Cup in Australia]
2016: Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Copa América Centenario in US, World Cup qualifying group stage, [Euro Cup]
2017: World Cup qualifying hex, Gold Cup, Confederations Cup in Russia, U-20 World Cup, U-17 World Cup, [AfCoN]
2018: World Cup in Russia

Elchele

Honduras' Romell Quioto (ST/winger) has been linked in the last few days to Man City, because apparently they have been scouting him. But obviously it wouldn't make any sense for City to be interested in a player of his level, so I guess those Man City scouts are searching for players for NYC FC.

The Sun: City are eyeing Honduras striker Romell Quioto (22) who plays for Olimpia in his home country and will play in the World Cup.

Nesotenso

Sounds like Kljestan is on his way out of Anderlecht this Summer. Makes sense if he isn't going to get much playing time.

I guess odds are that he will make it to the MLS. Started off the season scoring goals but lack of playing time has dented his chances going to Brazil.

Sacha was always just decent for me. Wouldn't be the biggest loss if he didn't go to Brazil.

I guess odds are that he will make it to the MLS. Started off the season scoring goals but lack of playing time has dented his chances going to Brazil.

Sacha was always just decent for me. Wouldn't be the biggest loss if he didn't go to Brazil.
I don't think he's going to make the roster at this point. He seems a lot better suited for a 3-man center midfield and he isn't able to either play the more defensive role (Jones or Beckerman) or the more attacking role (Bradley) at center midfield in the current US 4-4-2. Like Torres, he just isn't a good fit for the system and isn't good enough to redesign the system around him.

There's some discussion about it here:

- ASN: Six Americans With World Class Soccer Attributes
- ESPNFC Interview: Cameron optimistic about USA's chances at World Cup
- ESPNFC: John Brooks aims for U.S. squad
"[U.S. coach] Jurgen Klinsmann got on the phone with me a fortnight ago. Should I play well in the last two Bundesliga games, it could work out for me," Brooks said.

"Omar Gonzalez and Matt Besler are a notch ahead of me, but I by all means want to be involved in Brazil," Brooks, who has won three caps for the USMNT, said.

xbhaskarx

SBI's projected 30 man roster:

PROJECTED USMNT PRELIMINARY WORLD CUP ROSTER

GOALKEEPERS- Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando

DEFENDERS- Geoff Cameron, Matt Besler, Omar Gonzalez, Fabian Johnson, Timmy Chandler, Clarence Goodson, John Brooks, DaMarcus Beasley, Brad Evans, Michael Parkhurst, Tim Ream.

MIDFIELDERS- Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Landon Donovan, Jermaine Jones, Graham Zusi, Alejandro Bedoya, Kyle Beckerman, Maurice Edu, Mix Diskerud, Julian Green, Joe Corona.

FORWARDS- Jozy Altidore, Aron Johannsson, Chris Wondolowski, Terrence Boyd, Eddie Johnson.

—

MISSED THE CUT (The Next 30)

GOALKEEPERS- Sean Johnson, Bill Hamid, Tally Hall

DEFENDERS- Oguchi Onyewu, Michael Orozco, Edgar Castillo, Will Packwood, Tony Beltran, DeAndre Yedlin, Matt Hedges, Eric Lichaj, Greg Garza, Jonathan Spector, Chris Schuler

MIDFIELDERS- Danny Williams, Brad Davis, Jose Torres, Luis Gil, Brek Shea, Benny Feilhaber, Sacha Kljestan, Alfredo Morales, Eric Alexander, Dillon Powers, Joe Gyau

FORWARDS- Juan Agudelo, Herculez Gomez, Mike Magee, Will Bruin, Paul Arriola

Not bad, the only guys from the "next 30" list I'd like to see are Agudelo, Feilhaber and WIlliams...

That looks about right. I wouldn't be surprised to see Davis sneak in for Corona or maybe Williams for Edu if Klinsmann didn't like what he saw last camp.

Nesotenso

I would like Williams being taken over Edu and Agudelo given a shot at impressing as well.
If he doesn't make it Brazil and whether Agudelo's work permit works out or not I think another season at the Eredivise wouldn't hurt him.

I would say to ditch Eddie in favor of someone else, but he seems to suddenly find his form whenever he plays for the national team, so I dunno

xbhaskarx

Arsenal’s Zelalem nearing U.S. eligibility

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs.../02/arsenals-zelalem-nearing-u-s-eligibility/

Is Arsenal midfielder Gedion Zelalem about to pledge his future to the U.S. national team?

The Insider has learned Zelalem is close to becoming an American citizen, and by virtue, become eligible to represent the United States in international competition. Zelalem, who turned 17 in January, is believed to be in Washington with his father this weekend for naturalization purposes. By the time they return to London, both will likely be carrying U.S. passports.

The EU work permit thing:
Germans must relinquish citizenship when they are naturalized elsewhere, but because he is a minor, Zelalem would keep his German passport — thus, maintaining European Union credentials and avoiding England’s strict work permit guidelines.

It's happening....

Meier

http://i.imgur.com/hqk6EjZ.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
So good. CB told me about this while we were playing FIFA so I'll take the flame for Haskar beating him to it. :P This part of the article is the key...

[quote]Germans must relinquish citizenship when they are naturalized elsewhere, but because he is a minor, Zelalem would keep his German passport — thus, maintaining European Union credentials and avoiding England’s strict work permit guidelines.[/quote]

We'll probably want to get him some games after the World Cup at least to help show he deserves his work permit. This language makes me think maybe he'd have to give it up at 18? Just guessing though. It's new info that wasn't available before though. Yay loopholes!

- Altidore is on for the last half hour of the Sunderland match.
- Joe Gyau with another half hour of PT in Hoffenheim's 3-2 loss to Dortmund today.

xbhaskarx

Everton - Man City has been bumped to CNBC because of some stupid horse race

Fulham and Cardiff relegated, Norwich will almost certainly join them

Both Bradley and Defoe are starting for Toronto vs the Revs (still no Rowe) on Univision Deportes

ngower

The TFC v Revs game is off to a fantastic start. 1-1 after thirty minutes, end-to-end stuff, brilliant passing from both sides. A very entertaining game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom