• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

I'm disappointed that no one asked Klinsmann (or at least I'm not aware of anyone asking him) why he considered Donovan a forward for the camp. Because if he was a midfielder, then putting Davis ahead of Donovan on the squad is questionable at best. But leaving him out at forward is understandable. The four on the roster are better at forward than Donovan. But why label Donovan a forward in the first place? That decision puzzles me.

The weather and travel are not things I had thought of. Donovan is definitely not at the same high level of fitness he was at in his younger days. That drop in fitness could be a big deal in a humid, high temperature game that comes after hours of travel across the country.
I think it's pretty clear that Jurgen thought of Donovan as a forward because he just doesn't have the fitness level to run around the entire pitch for 90 minutes. Not even for 60 minutes realistically. As a forward, there is an expectation of SOME tracking back, but more often than not you're around the halfway line or in your half.

The heat and humidity is going to be the story of the World Cup. Many of these guys will have never experienced anything like it before -- it'll be a huge adjustment and it's a major, major advantage to the South American teams. Expect to see a few of the European squads really struggle due to it.

xbhaskarx

The kid admires Donovan so much that he was happy to see him left off the roster... that makes sense!

Jurgen Klinsmann says son owes Landon Donovan "huge apology" for controversial tweets

Shortly after the roster was released – noticeably without USMNT icon Landon Donovan – Klinsmann’s teenage son Jonathan Klinsmann tweeted out a controversial celebration of the LA Galaxy star’s exclusion before removing the tweet and deleting his Twitter account entirely.

“HHAHAHAHA DONAVAN HAHAHAHAA,” Jonathan Klinsmann wrote. “I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE UNTIL PHONE NOTIFIED ME HAHA”
KlinsmannSonTweet.jpg

Klinsmann said his son has a “huge admiration” for Donovan, that he’s been a “big fan of him for many, many years,” and that he has Donovan’s jersey in his room.

xbhaskarx

In other American soccer news:

Mayor Gray: $300 Million Soccer Stadium Deal Completed

Gray has submitted legislation to D.C. Council, outling his plan to bring a 20,000 to 25,000-seat stadium to southwest Washington.

The city has agreed to pay $150 million for land acquisition and infrastructure to support the stadium in southwest Washington. The team would pay $150 million to build the stadium itself.

According to a news release from the mayor's office, the city now owns 88 percent of the proposed site of the stadium at Buzzard Point.

“The new soccer stadium is the final catalyst for what is certain to become one of the most vibrant and sustainable sports and retail districts in America," Gray said in a release.

June announcement planned for Louisville soccer club

A local architect and minority investor in the Orlando City Soccer Club said Thursday that he's anticipating a June 4 announcement to address "the future of soccer in Louisville."

Wayne Estopinal, president of TEG Architects, has long sought to relocate Orlando's United Soccer Leagues Professional Division team to Louisville now that Orlando is moving up through Major League Soccer Expansion. Starting in 2015, Orlando City will need a USL Pro affiliate, and with the part-owner Estopinal in town, Louisville was all along favored to land the championship-winning franchise.

An announcement date coincides with the $581,000 included in Mayor Greg Fischer's 2015 budget released Thursday for renovations to Louisville Slugger Field should the club relocate.

The money would support field changeovers from soccer to baseball, as the USL Pro season overlaps with the Triple-A Louisville Bats, and includes creation of a new locker room for the team. Opponents would use the visiting baseball locker room, according to the plan.

Osorio

Glad to see dc getting a stadium. While I do hate united I love to hate them and it wouldn't be the same if they moved to baltimore

methodman

Banned
BoV_Dg9IcAAA2lB.jpg

Matthew Doyle @MLSAnalyst · 3h
Last 8 starts for #USMNT, LD has 4 goals & 8 assists. Five of 8 games were against World Cup teams, 3 others were Jamaica, Panama, El Salv.
Since July, US score 1.9 gpg (not counting Gold Cup) when LD plays, 1.4 when doesn't. Zero goals last 3 games he hasn't played.

mccann-datalab-donovan-scoring.png

kIdMuScLe

BoV_Dg9IcAAA2lB.jpg

Last 8 starts for #USMNT, LD has 4 goals & 8 assists. Five of 8 games were against World Cup teams, 3 others were Jamaica, Panama, El Salv.
Since July, US score 1.9 gpg (not counting Gold Cup) when LD plays, 1.4 when doesn't. Zero goals last 3 games he hasn't played.

Fucking bullshit man...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
BoV_Dg9IcAAA2lB.jpg

I think the real takeaway from your little chart here is that Jozy should be benched for Wondo.

Free Wondo!

Dartastic

NoRéN;113193571 said:
People often forget that he plays as a midfielder. Creating chances is what he does best.

Reminds me of when galaxy fans were outraged that Beckham wasn't scoring.
I think it's that yellow "in the last year" thing that's really fucking me up. I definitely don't forget the fact that he plays as a midfielder. Is that top one all games (MLS included) and the bottom one just USMNT? That'd make more sense.

NoRéN

I think it's that yellow "in the last year" thing that's really fucking me up. I definitely don't forget the fact that he plays as a midfielder. Is that top one all games (MLS included) and the bottom one just USMNT? That'd make more sense.
Oh, I didn't mean you exactly. More like people in general. It's easy to forget seeing as how that's how he made a name for himself. Now he's a midfielder that can score but his true talent is being able to create chances for even the most inept of strikers.

As for the second part of your post, sounds about right.

methodman

Banned
Yeah bottom one is for the USMNT. That's in 12 games for the squad. 36 scoring chances.

USMNT just played a scrimmage against the Earthquakes u-23 and tied 1-1.. Lol.

youngklinzy.png

Meier

Let's be honest, the Gold Cup is a joke. Everyone knows it. CONCACAF lacks much in the way of quality so it goes without saying that a tournament made up of teams from the confederation will exist of mostly World Cup teams because the top teams in one should be the top in qualifying for the other.

Do I think Donovan should have made it? Yes. Can I see why he didn't? Yes. He doesn't have the fitness level to provide much if any cover to the defense if he's playing in the midfield. Our back 4 is going to struggle. They'll need some support -- he can't provide it.

We're going to need guys who can run and help in multiple facets. Someone who can hopefully at least stick with Joao Moutinho for a bit to help prevent him from sending in deadly throughballs from the halfway line to Cristiano.

It is one thing to beat Panama and Honduras, it's another to beat Germany or Portugal. We will be heavy, heavy underdogs and will need to try and beat them on the break. Landon couldn't even do that when coming on as a sub against Mexico. He was dispossessed multiple times by their midfielders.

He just doesn't have the pace to beat Schweinsteiger or Carvalho if he collects the ball deep. If Lahm plays DM for Germany, can you envision LD ever being able to make it past him and Schweiny? He might have the vision to create, but if a ball gets intercepted and they counter, can he help at all?

These are questions you have to ask. It's a difficult decision, but if you're anything more than a casual observer, you can understand the reasoning behind it.

If he's there solely as a forward, he's probably better than Wondo, but again, he doesn't even have the ability to play multiple games in a row at this point. You want someone who can play the full 90 every game if it's required. There aren't many strikers brought to the World Cup. If one goes down and you have to rely on Donovan and he can't play effectively, you've screwed yourself.

methodman

Banned
Great post Meier... But if I replace Landon in your post with Zusi, Bedoya, Davis, or Green, they would all fit. Difference is, Landon has actually done all the things you're saying before in a world cup. None of these other guys who made the team above him have. I think that is huge.

Agreed. People forget you get no breaks in the world cup. You have to have fast recovery and top fitness. The travel and locations for this group is horrendous as well. This isn't the same as club matches/competitions.

Also I recall Donovan waisting a ton of chances against Ghana the first match-up. I Can't recall the last game how he played. I wonder if any past performances played a factor as well.? I'm more leaning it was all on current fitness and his desire to even play.

Great post Meier... But if I replace Landon in your post with Zusi, Bedoya, Davis, or Green, they would all fit. Difference is, Landon has actually done all the things you're saying before in a world cup. None of these other guys who made the team above him have. I think that is huge.

Before and now is 4 years ago. Once you get up their in age 4 years can make a difference. And players that never went before may just want it more.

Think of Ronaldinho's 4 year swings with performance and desire/interest to play. LD is nowhere even near any of those levels of skills but possibly similar with interest of the game.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Doing things in the past (from 4 years ago) doesn't mean you're still capable of doing things now. He's 32 years old and even he himself admits hes not sure if he still has it and isn't in the best shape hes been.

Also you can't be serious about caring about the results of a scrimmage.

xbhaskarx

Doing things in the past (from 4 years ago) doesn't mean you're still capable of doing things now.

How about "in the past year"

BoV_Dg9IcAAA2lB.jpg

How about "in the past year"

Skewed if including MLS stats. International play is it's own beast. It doesn't matter if others on that list play in the MLS as well.

Germany have a few players with great country stats and not so great club stats. Can't mix the two really.

kIdMuScLe

Skewed if including MLS stats. International play is it's own beast. It doesn't matter if others on that list play in the MLS as well.

Germany have a few players with great country stats and not so great club stats. Can't mix the two really.

Landon has 36 created chances on the NT while the next one is 21,13,and so on... Explain it to me how is that terrible?

Askani

And that's what happens when you do that gutless short corner when you're up a man. Make it 3-1 and then hold. Fuck me.

Askani

Ties are fun man, start to enjoy them. -.-

I know you're coming from a Portland kinda place, but I can't for this one. No way. Killed by injuries and suspensions and National Team duty. When you have a real chance to take three here you have to push it. Instead you play sissy ball and pull back and give them a chance. I hate dropping points like that.

We really needed those points.

Dartastic

I know you're coming from a Portland kinda place, but I can't for this one. No way. Killed by injuries and suspensions and National Team duty. When you have a real chance to take three here you have to push it. Instead you play sissy ball and pull back and give them a chance. I hate dropping points like that.

We really needed those points.
Don't worry. Inside I'm crying.

xbhaskarx

Players with 3+ goals/assists since Donovan's January '13 sabbatical (bolded are not on the final roster):

Goals
9 - Wondolowski
8 - Altidore, Donovan
6 - Dempsey
5 - E. Johnson
3 - Zusi

Assists
9 - Donovan
3 - Bedoya, Bradley, F. Johnson, Zusi

Nesotenso

Gus Johnson and Wynalda are probably the worst commentating pair in all of sports. Wynalda has no redeeming qualities. Gus should come back and do college sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom