• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Gus Johnson and Wynalda are probably the worst commentating pair in all of sports. Wynalda has no redeeming qualities. Gus should come back and do college sports.

It's hard to say who is worse out of these two clowns. Objectively it's probably Gus Johnson, but it's hard to remain unbiased given Wynalda's ego, drunken rants, entitlement, absurd conspiracy theories, victim mentality, etc. etc.

/r/MLS thinks Gus is fantastic.

I think he could be good if he didn't get super excited over the most mundane things. Needs to call more games and work out when to get excited and when not to.

KingGondo

Banned
Fox needs to drop Gus, period.

He's simply not very good.

One of my favorite parts about watching soccer is the literate, poetic, and entertaining commentating.

Gus's commentating is plodding and dreary.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Fox needs to drop Gus, period.

He's simply not very good.

One of my favorite parts about watching soccer is the literate, poetic, and entertaining commentating.

Gus's commentating is plodding and dreary.

They paid him a shitload of money, they are going to keep trying to make it work.

I like Gus in both American Football and Basketball but hes so far out of his element and they keep having him call the biggest of matches instead of trying to let him figure it out.

xbhaskarx

- MLS Analyst: Will there be USMNT life after Landon Donovan? Let's find out

Breaking down the current USMNT system (4-4-2 diamond) and how Donovan did or didn't fit in.

The current system that Klinsmann has played for like... the last two friendlies before the World Cup roster announcement (with one successful half vs Mexico), after having mainly played a 4-2-3-1 but also at times 4-3-3 / 4-3-2-1 / 4-4-2 bucket at various other points?

Add
-deciding on a new formation a couple months before the World Cup
to
-not looking for new younger CBs for this cycle until 2013
-using a fullback pairing that was never going to be translatable against quality World Cup level opposition until... this camp
-sticking with Martin Vasquez as his assistant the whole time until suddenly dismissing him two months before the World Cup
If anything goes wrong at this World Cup it certainly won't be because we were woefully unprepared!

methodman

Banned
The current system that Klinsmann has played for like... the last two friendlies before the World Cup roster announcement (with one successful half vs Mexico), after having mainly played a 4-2-3-1 but also at times 4-3-3 / 4-3-2-1 / 4-4-2 bucket at various other points?

Add
-deciding on a new formation a couple months before the World Cup
to
-not looking for new younger CBs for this cycle until 2013
-using a fullback pairing that was never going to be translatable against quality World Cup level opposition until... this camp
-sticking with Martin Vasquez as his assistant the whole time until suddenly dismissing him two months before the World Cup
If anything goes wrong at this World Cup it certainly won't be because we were woefully unprepared!
Seriously. Oh no Landon can't play in the diamond 4-4-2 that we just suddenly implemented for whatever fucking reason in the last two friendlies.

xbhaskarx

Seriously. Oh no Landon can't play in the diamond 4-4-2 that we just suddenly implemented for whatever fucking reason in the last two friendlies.

It's sort of like declaring "Landon Donovan, that guy who can and does play pretty much all over, will only be considered as a forward! Surprise, he didn't make it based on the zero of two friendlies before rosters are due, while other players like Howard/Jones/Johannsson are still trickling into camp."

2B2EGVI.jpg

Leggooo!! Battle for first in the East!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I just fell into some tickets to go see Portugal vs Ireland on the 10th. They're behind the goal but I can't exactly complain since they're free.

Dartastic

So I just fell into some tickets to go see Portugal vs Ireland on the 10th. They're behind the goal but I can't exactly complain since they're free.
No offense, but seriously man. Get hype.
Falling into tickets like that regardless of where they are is awesome.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
No offense, but seriously man. Get hype.
Falling into tickets like that regardless of where they are is awesome.

:lol

I know and I am. I just had a little moment when I looked the seats up, sort of like "man, all the way up there?" I didn't even believe the girl behind the counter when she handed them to me. Apparently the guy on line before me won them but didn't want them, he didn't like soccer, so she asks me if I want them and here I am.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
He needs to sit

Don't give a fuck who plays for him

I was so happy when Alexander was subbed out that I didn't even care that it was for Kimura, a defender, when we were down 2-1. I just never want to see his tentative ass start again. He always has a least 1-2 chances a match to just take a fucking shot and he just does nothing. It's reached the point that when he touched the ball, everyone around me in the arena just groaned, knowing that it would lead to nothing or worse. You can call it scapegoating, but he is truly awful.

Fuck that match left me in a sour mood. At least Duvall was good in his first start.

Had his arm around him as they went down.

Also, Red Bulls should've scored 5 or 6 goals last night.

EDIT: Chris Duvall was phenomenal. Think he locked up a starting spot for a while.

Dartastic

Had his arm around him as they went down.

Also, Red Bulls should've scored 5 or 6 goals last night.

EDIT: Chris Duvall was phenomenal. Think he locked up a starting spot for a while.
Kah poked the ball away as the other player seemingly smashed into him. Arm or no arm, the attacking player no longer had control of the ball and was shoving kah down while one of Kah's feet was planted firmly. I don't see a pk from that angle.

xbhaskarx

Did US national team manager Jurgen Klinsmann decide his 23-man roster before camp? Players have their doubts

Did USMNT boss Jurgen Klinsmann have his mind made up on his 23-man World Cup roster before training camp even started?

One of the seven players he cut on Thursday seems to think so.

"I just think that his mind was set up even before the camp was started." Columbus Crew defender Michael Parkhurst told the Post-Dispatch after his MLS team's 2-0 win over the Chicago Fire on Saturday night. "That makes it a little easier to swallow knowing I don’t think I could have done anything else.”

His USMNT teammate Brad Evans, who says he mainly played centerback during the 10 days he was in World Cup camp, also has his doubts about whether Klinsmann already knew his 23-man squad.

“I don’t know. Part of me says yes. Part of me says no. I don’t know," Evans told reporters on Saturday in Vancouver. "It’s something I haven’t even thought about. It’s tough to think about that. It can drive you nuts.”

If there's one thing Parkhurst and Evans didn't have a clue about, it was the timing of the cuts. Most observers outside the squad assumed that one or two warm-up matches would be played before Klinsmann decided on his 23. And the players were also apparently in the dark when the axe came down Thursday.

“We didn’t know that the cuts were coming that day, so no expectations there," Parkhurst said.

“I had no idea,” said Evans. “We were walking into the locker room, got pulled aside and that was it. Chop, chop and you’re out of there.

"[Klinsmann] just said, ‘I have to make a roster decision today and you’re not a part of it,’" Evans continued. "So that’s where we left it. I got up and said goodbye to the players and that was it.”

And if JK and Jermaine have any sense they will let Bradley get closer to goal.
Bradley needs to be higher up in that formation.
I wonder if Klinsmann is going to use Jones/Bradley as a double pivot when that combo is playing whereas Beckerman will be behind Bradley if they're running more of a midfield diamond. TSG noted that Jones got into camp late, so perhaps he won't start. In any case, the US has looked more more efficient of late with more of a d-mid behind Bradley, but who knows if Jones is disciplined enough to hold position.

EDIT:

A couple of Wondo articles this morning:

- SFGate: Everything's turning to gold for Earthquakes' Wondolowski
- SJ Mercury News: Wondo-ful Life: Chris Wondolowski's fairytale adventure to the World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom