• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The omission is going to be a fucking distraction if we bomb against Ghana.

Especially if one of the forwards misses an easy one...

I just want to see us play beautiful football. Maybe im misremembering or mixing anxiety with the aesthetic, but 2010 felt embarrassing to watch more than half the time.

Watching the oranje's change from euro 2008 to WC2010 was disheartening. The flair and fun was stripped from much of their play.

And Dunga's Brazil, ew.

The embarrassing thing was how the refs were constantly against us. We were playing good football.

daoster

So...as I was laying down thinking...do I see shades of 98? A foreign player who has little connection to the current national team (David Regis then, Julian Green now) brought on board so close to the World Cup, and now, with the World Cup looming, a leader of the team is dropped from the team (Harkes in April 98, Donovan now), potentially causing chaos within the dressing room.

Sampson also liked to tinker with his lineup a lot. USA also had to play two European teams in their group that year.

(As far as I know, Donovan is not rumored to have had an affair with Dempsey or anybody else's wife).

I'm just kidding, the situation then and the situation now are completely different, but it's still...interesting.

I wonder if the sabbatical that Landon took soured the relationship with Klinsmann that much, or did it occur much earlier than that? I faintly remember seeing that Klinsmann and Donovan had a good relationship, and Klinsmann was the man who got Donovan into Bayern after all. Maybe the aftermath of the failed Bayern loan was where things began to sour.

In many ways, Landon is very much the anti-Klinsmann in terms of attitude. Klinsmann has that European mentality, where, you live, breath, and die with soccer if you're going to do it professionally, while Landon definitely doesn't give out that aura. The sabbatical showed this, or at least, it showed this to Klinsmann.

Bad choice for US soccer in general.

Ask Joe Average to name one american soccer player, and he'll probably be able to name Donovan and only Donovan (maybe).

Landycakes is the face of US soccer. You kick him out and now Joe Average feels even less attached to the team.

From a marketing perspective, major fail.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Bad choice for US soccer in general.

Ask Joe Average to name one american soccer player, and he'll probably be able to name Donovan and only Donovan (maybe).

Landycakes is the face of US soccer. You kick him out and now Joe Average feels even less attached to the team.

You know, I keep coming back to the thought that if Klinsmann left Donovan home he must be damn confident in the team he's picked. I suppose we'll see how the team plays starting on Tuesday, if they crush everyone in their path or have a rough time.

shira

Just heard no Landon Donovan. Tough call, but coach knows best. If he doesn't place well he's pretty much going to be fired anyway.

Clydefrog

Let's remember Landon Donovan and what he did for US Soccer. He is a legend. I know the players going to Brazil admire all that he has done for the team and for the sport in this country. All of his USA goals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRWHkER_Ou4

some highlights:

the beginning (and the best) of dos-a-cero: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRWHkER_Ou4&t=1m15s

At around 7 mins into that video, he just demolishes PK after PK. I want to see his international PK stats.

My all-time favorite Donovan goal is the counter-attack against Brazil (BRAZIL) in the Confederations Cup in South Africa. The link above didn't give a great view of it. It's one of the sexiest counter-attack goals I've ever seen this team accomplish and it's one of the best moves Donovan ever did on that ball to score like he did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yvPkUapBk8 (playstation!)

That BAD-ASS Slovenia goal where he just said "I DONT CARE WHAT THE WORLD THINKS OF US" after the ref-which-shall-not-be-named ruined the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRWHkER_Ou4&t=9m58s

I don't need to link the Algeria goal...

It's pretty amazing what he did in those 13+ years. We love you, Landon!

gutshot

There are rumors out there now that some of the guys on the team just didn't like Donovan.

No Landon Donovan in #USMNT's final roster for World Cup. Think it's a mistake but source told me not long ago many in team didn't like him.

https://twitter.com/FrancoPanizo/statuses/469596004694900737

Klinsmann had said in past that final 23 players wouldn't necessarily be "most talented" but "best team". If it were former, LD is in #USMNT

https://twitter.com/FrancoPanizo/statuses/469598605700251648

Not sure if I buy it as Donovan has always come off as a good teammate. But then you have this tweet from Alecko Eskandarian.

Landon Donovan was not my favorite teammate in the world. With that said, this is a HUGE mistake to leave him off the World Cup team. #USMNT

https://twitter.com/alecko11/statuses/469600415957655552

We know that Klinsmann places a premium on team unity, so maybe this was about locker room chemistry more than anything?

Meier

I think his thought is that it's better to just get the second guessing out of the way now. LD can't go the full 90 in that climate and wouldn't be able to play significant minutes in multiple games in a short period. Now the team can just simply focus on preparing without him. The narrative would have been about him and when he came in or went out of games.

The media will still question it if the results don't go our way, but the players themselves know they have to step up. It puts more onus on their success than his (Donovan's) failure.

This could be seen as a dressing room decision even if LD wouldn't necessarily complain about a lack of minutes. You could tell he wasn't pleased about being a sub versus Mexico -- he said he understood it but there was an undercurrent that has run through a lot of his comments since then. His body language in interviews after the game made that clear.

France left home a guy who has been arguably their best player in 2014 due to Ribery's dip in form. LD obviously has a much better history with our NT than Nasri has with his, but that decision came down to non-sporting reasons. It probably was a mix of both with LD.

You could see Donovan playing himself off the roster in the run up; the Mexico friendly where he came off the bench was an indicator of that. That, and the stats w/ the Galaxy so far this season; granted I haven't watched them play live.

It's just that most of us probably didn't expect him not to make it, but I think a lot of that is because of his name.

daoster

There are rumors out there now that some of the guys on the team just didn't like Donovan.

https://twitter.com/FrancoPanizo/statuses/469596004694900737

https://twitter.com/FrancoPanizo/statuses/469598605700251648

Not sure if I buy it as Donovan has always come off as a good teammate. But then you have this tweet from Alecko Eskandarian.

Herc responded by saying it's false, but it's not entirely clear. Maybe it's semantics. Their exchange:

Herc:
@FrancoPanizo that’s false.

Franco:
@herculezg Very credible source. Some players not liking him doesn't mean that no one liked him.

Herc:
@FrancoPanizo you said many, not some. And I’d like to think I’m a credible source as well.

So if Herc's just arguing the semantics of some vs. many...I dunno!

Askani

Here's some numbers. A friend gathered the FIFA ranks of all the teams and then we looked at their group stage strength. Nothing earth shattering here, just tossing it out there if someone else was interesting in seeing it.

Code:
					FIFA Rank:
Group	Teams				Group Total
-----	---------------------------	-----------
A	BRA	CRO	MEX	CAM
	3	26	19	50	92

B	SPA	NED	CHI	AUS
	1	15	13	50	79

C	COL	GRE	IVC	JAP
	5	10	21	47	83

D	URU	CSR	ENG	ITA
	6	34	11	9	60

E	SWI	ECU	FRA	HON
	8	28	16	30	82

F	ARG	IRN	BHZ	NIG
	7	37	25	44	113

G	GER	POR	GHA	USA
	2	3	38	14	57

H	BEL	ALG	RUS	SKO
	12	25	18	55	110

FIFA Rank: Team's Opponent Totals
Group A		Group B		Group C		Group D
----------	----------	----------	----------
BRA	89	SPA	78	COL	78	URU	54
CRO	72	NED	64	GRE	73	CSR	26
MEX	73	CHI	66	IVC	62	ENG	49
CAM	42	AUS	29	JAP	36	ITA	51

Group E		Group F		Group G		Group H
----------	----------	----------	----------
SWI	74	ARG    106	GER	55	BEL	98
ECU	54	IRN	76	POR	54	ALG	85
FRA	66	BHZ	88	GHA	19	RUS	92
HON	52	NIG	69	USA	43	SKO	55

The 10 Most Significant Goals in US Soccer History:

- #3 - ‘The Greatest Victory'

Donovan Algeria and the shot heard round the world are top 2 then

Here's some numbers. A friend gathered the FIFA ranks of all the teams and then we looked at their group stage strength. Nothing earth shattering here, just tossing it out there if someone else was interesting in seeing it.

Platini money really worked well for France

----

Also don't think it's a surprise, but Donovan's first F off the standby list if Klinsmann needs him:

Doug McIntyre ‏@DougMacESPN 3m
Klinsmann to ESPN’s @JulieFoudy: “God forbid [a striker] gets injured, I’m the first one to get on the phone and call Landon back in.”

methodman

Banned
Can klinsmann still change his decision? Even if Donovan was out of shape and didn't get many minutes, this still pisses me off. Donovan is a big game player.

Almost feel like klinsmann is putting pressure on Donovan and his team. Will bring him back on soon (or I freaking hope)

FuturusX

Can klinsmann still change his decision? Even if Donovan was out of shape and didn't get many minutes, this still pisses me off. Donovan is a big game player.

Almost feel like klinsmann is putting pressure on Donovan and his team. Will bring him back on soon (or I freaking hope)

Only chance of a reverse of the decision is if someone gets injured. The team is set Donavan is not going.

Osorio

Jurgen kind of shut down everyone on the World Cup experience question

"Well, I won my world cup the first time"

He is our first coach to win a World Cup either as a player or manager.

methodman

Banned
Jurgen kind of shut down everyone on the World Cup experience question

"Well, I won my world cup the first time"

He is our first coach to win a World Cup either as a player or manager.
"I won a world cup, I know more than you."

That'sa bullfuckingshit answer by klinsmann to that specific question

"I won a world cup, I know more than you."

That'sa bullfuckingshit answer by klinsmann to that specific question

...what?

The question was about the lack of World Cup experience throughout the roster, with many players going for their first time. Klinsmann is saying that it doesn't matter too much in his experience; Germany won the WC in his first WC.

methodman

Banned
...what?

The question was about the lack of World Cup experience throughout the roster, with many players going for their first time. Klinsmann is saying that it doesn't matter too much in his experience; Germany won the WC in his first WC.
Germany can have no WC experience on the entire squad and lineup a better squad than us. That's all I meant

Also - obviously how Donovan performed in this 10 day camp was not taken in account to Klinsmann's decision because from all reports he was one of the best players. Why even bring him to the camp?

Assorted tweets:
@ussoccer: "It was a very tight decision on all of the players; that's why we brought 30. Every player in the process has a strong case"- @J_Klinsmann

@ussoccer: "It's our strong feeling that these guys here are ready for a World Cup. We're growing every day in training and getting stronger..."

@BrianStraus: Klinsmann: "It's a very exp roster. It's not a young roster...Some have a learning curve...But they are ready for that learning curve."

@BrianStraus: Agree. Time to plan for Ghana. JK: "There were some ? marks hanging over whole group...We just felt it was now time to make the decision."

@BrianStraus: JK: "[LD] thinks he should have been in the 23. I want the players to speak up and say that...If something happens tmrw I can call him..."

@JeffreyCarlisle: Klinsmann says Donovan took decision with "amazing composure". Wouldn't get into where Donovan fell short on the field. #usmnt

@BrianStraus: JK says Landon told him he was ready "24/7" to respond to call if something happens. "I admire that," Klinsmann says.

@BrianStraus: JK says son was "devastated" by reaction, just "fooling around" and owes LD a "huge, huge apology". Is an LD fan w/ jersey in his room.

@SoccerInsider: Klinsmann, on son's tweet: "Highly disappointed. I called him right away. He got his biggest social media lesson he could imagine" #usmnt

@SteveDavis90: Klinsmann right on one point: #USMNT roster not THAT young. Trouble is, that poops on popular fan/media narrative "Jurgen looking to 2018"

@JeffreyCarlisle: Klinsmann said there was no previous agreement or guarantee w/Julian Green or John Brooks related to World Cup roster spot. #usmnt

@JeffreyCarlisle: Klinsmann said he has "strong hope" that Donovan continues with national team. #usmnt #wishfulthinking

@BrianStraus: JK on Green: "Certain values...that we observed over almost 2 yrs...we see a very special talent coming thru...very well respected already."

@GrantWahl: Klinsmann: "I'm not comparing Julian [Green] with Landon" in his roster decision.

@JeffreyCarlisle: Klinsmann on Green: "Julian didn't hide. Not even one second." Refuses to be drawn into Green/Donovan comparisons. #usmnt

@pkedit: Klinsmann won't discuss "technical" areas he told Donovan he was deficient.

@JeffreyCarlisle: Klinsmann: "We are very excited about Wondo." #usmnt

@robertjonas: Klinsmann on @ChrisWondo: "We are very excited for Wondo. He deserves to be on the plane to Brazil. He worked very hard for it." #USMNT

@ussoccer: #USMNT roster: "At the end of the day it's down to pure performance. It's down to where they are right now. We watched everybody…"

@ussoccer: "We're trying to figure out who is peaking in the next few weeks. We believe we chose the right group."- @J_Klinsmann & the press conf ends
Also:
- Jurgen Klinsmann Addresses Fans before Press Conference in Palo Alto (short, youtube)

methodman

Banned
I know this is not the way journalists operate but I wish someone asked:

Why the fuck keep Davis over Donovan?
Seriously.

Also - I feel like the only reason a 17 year old posts such a stupid Twitter post about the best American player ever being taken off the team, which should be an incredibly tough decision since he's been a leader on this team since 2002, is because his dad has constantly derided him while at home. No doubt in my mind. Fuck you klinsmann. I hope he's fired

More comments:
@SoccerByIves: Asked Jurgen about Tim Chandler after presser, & his own past concerns about commitment. JK said TC has grown up & also “took over” in camp

@JeffreyCarlisle: Not much of a surprise at this point but Klinsmann confirms that Cameron will play CB & move impacted decision to cut Goodson. #USMNT

Nesotenso

I think you will get the same answer with the Davis choice. Competing for different positions and Klinsmann probably values the service he can provide from the left. For our sake I hope Zusi starts over Davis.

I wish Donovan made a stronger case for him this season. He was not setting MLS on fire and his sub performance against Mexico wasn't great either. It was clear physically he wasn't the player of old.

edit: yeah I think the intention to start Cameron at CB became clear after all the RB options were called in and Omar's constant blunders. In all likelihood it will be Johnson, Chandler, Besler and Cameron in the back.

Nesotenso

Klinsmann is such a dick. Lost all respect for this guy. Chandler hasn't played a game for us in a year and he gets an automatic spot. Donovan takes a 4 month break and he's "not dedicated to the team" smfh

I don't think he has ever questioned his commitment after he returned to the fold during the gold cup. Chandler made it in because of his play and the fact that he recovered in time.

Chandler has some value in that he plays/fill in the black hole that is our RB, and where at least a number of us penciled in as our main RB if he ever got his head straight. Which from JK it sounds like he has

I'm not a fan of Yedlin atm, but if he made the 23-man for that over say Parkhurst or someone else, you can see the value there for Chandler.

methodman

Banned
It just sucks that he pulls Donovan without allowing him some game time in two friendlies in a couple days. That's what makes me feel this was completely political. Fire klinsmann

ZZMitch

It just sucks that he pulls Donovan without allowing him some game time in two friendlies in a couple days. That's what makes me feel this was completely political. Fire klinsmann

Lol man calm down. They are not going to fire Klinsmann now, especially just after signing a four year contract.

He knows a lot more than you and there are real reasons why you would leave Donovan off this squad.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/worldcup/2...rgen-klinsmann-left-landon-donovan-his-world-

Another problem is the message it sends to the older players - "We don't care about this World Cup, even though it's probably your last one, so we're not bringing our best 23. We're focusing on 2018 and beyond." Tough to accept.

That, of course, assumes that Donovan is still one of the best 23 US soccer players.

gutshot

You guys seriously want to get rid of a coach who just led this team to one of their best years ever? Because he decided not to include on the World Cup squad a 32 year old player who admits he is past his prime?

Jeez. Glad you aren't in charge of US Soccer.

Meier

Dude. Chill out.

The friendlies are about getting the final squad playing together and prepared for the World Cup, not about making final choices. It was the right decision to make the "cuts" now -- it is atypical compared to other countries to even have the 7 stand-by players around the camp at all so getting it taken care of sooner than later was and is the right decision.

daoster

Another problem is the message it sends to the older players - "We don't care about this World Cup, even though it's probably your last one, so we're not bringing our best 23. We're focusing on 2018 and beyond." Tough to accept.

That, of course, assumes that Donovan is still one of the best 23 US soccer players.

This also of course, assumes that the team can't win big games or can't go on without Landon this World Cup, despite the fact that they got some big results without Landon Donovan last year. Some of these were friendlies, yes, but that's just how it goes in CONCACAF land.

I'm surprised as most that Klinsmann left Donovan off the final 23, but the way I've read some of the media reaction, it's almost as if the USA has lost already. I think this is what Klinsmann meant by the media treating Donovan as the "holy cow."

This also of course, assumes that the team can't win big games or can't go on without Landon this World Cup, despite the fact that they got some big results without Landon Donovan last year. Some of these were friendlies, yes, but that's just how it goes in CONCACAF land.

I'm surprised as most that Klinsmann left Donovan off the final 23, but the way I've read some of the media reaction, it's almost as if the USA has lost already. I think this is what Klinsmann meant by the media treating Donovan as the "holy cow."

Yeah, I believe the US can get results equivalent to a theoretical team with Donovan, and I have concerns about his fitness and declining skill. I personally hope that his omission is correct and that Donovan hasn't shown he should be part of the this team.

But if Donovan is one of the best 23, and he's not on the team, that sucks for the players, especially the vets (no matter their personal feelings towards him). It means US Soccer has other goals besides sending the best possible team to Brazil. However noble those goals may be, if I'm a player, I'm pissed. World Cups only come around every 4 years, and you might not be playing the next time.

Lol overreactions. When was the last key or standout moment for donavan? I don't think the US is stacked enough to take a player as a mentor or because of experience.

Donavon was great and it's not like a new face of US soccer can't happen at this world cup. Most people would say it's already Bradley. The last tours the US did had Bradley on most of the marketing. He's younger and obviously more important at this point.

I'm sure this was in the best interest of the team.

xbhaskarx

@SteveDavis90: Klinsmann right on one point: #USMNT roster not THAT young. Trouble is, that poops on popular fan/media narrative "Jurgen looking to 2018"

And yet we'll keep hearing that bullshit excuse...

NoRéN;113158726 said:
Did you watch the Gold Cup?

Yes. Is that showing consistency though? That was last summer as well so a player can have a rapid decline. When I've seen him recently he hasn't seemed with it. Maybe he's lost intensity and that is what Klinsman loves. I barely hear about LD anymore (MLS coverage sucking adds to this). From reading news or catching highlights he doesn't seem to have the impact as before. A World Cup isn't going to be slow paced. I'm fine with taking youth or more hungry players over him.

I also think it shows how much the team has grown. The team finally has depth and a rotation of players the US has never experienced.

pxleyes

Banned
Now that the shock has worn off, I'm ok with the decision. I think it is presumptuous for any fan to say they know better than the coach in a situation like this, but like others have said he will held accountable for that decision, good or bad. I personally will still miss Donovan's talents and fan service, but I think in the heat of the match it will fade quickly.

xbhaskarx

I also think it shows how much the team has grown. The team finally has depth and a rotation of players the US has never experienced.

Right, because there was no 32 year old Brad Davis around to make previous World Cup rosters... 29 year old Brad Evans as the regular RB through qualifying, 31 year old Damarcus Beasley who was on the bench at the last World Cup as the regular LB, 32 year old Kyle Beckerman...

Of course the talent pool is deeper now, but on the other hand you can't just have the national team coach call in some mediocre veteran like Davy Arnaud over Clint Dempsey and then say "Wow this team is so deep Dempsey didn't even make the roster!!"

Oozer3993

I'm disappointed that no one asked Klinsmann (or at least I'm not aware of anyone asking him) why he considered Donovan a forward for the camp. Because if he was a midfielder, then putting Davis ahead of Donovan on the squad is questionable at best. But leaving him out at forward is understandable. The four on the roster are better at forward than Donovan. But why label Donovan a forward in the first place? That decision puzzles me.

This article raises a good point:

The U.S. team is headed to Brazil, aware they must face a grueling trifecta of challenges -- not only the opposition, but an unforgiving trek around the continent-sized nation and microwave-oven heat. Italian coach Cesare Prandelli learned at the end of the Confederations Cup last year that to win the World Cup he needed not just his nation's "23 best footballers, but the 23 best athletes." After watching Donovan struggle in the second half against Mexico in Phoenix, and train this week in the Californian heat, Klinsmann has determined that in his current shape, his star is not one of the United States' best athletes.

The weather and travel are not things I had thought of. Donovan is definitely not at the same high level of fitness he was at in his younger days. That drop in fitness could be a big deal in a humid, high temperature game that comes after hours of travel across the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom