• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

I would have taken Landon over Brad and Boyd over Wondo.

That left foot is not that great.

edit: I am sad that won't get to see Donovan one last time at the cup.

daoster

I know there's other valid points to your post, but I'm cherry picking and I'm going to use it as an example. I keep seeing this and I hate it. Three World Cup games aren't going to magically make these guys better in four years. Constant playing and practice and improvement over the proceeding four years will. I don't get how playing in one World Cup (in a "throwaway" year) group stage equates to rock star players and a road map to the future. I also look at it as an insult to everyone else who made the team if that's actually the case. I can't believe that. I have to hope that he really feel like this roster is the best chance to win now because otherwise I'm going to lose my shit.

Also, Our chance is just as good as anyone else's. It's why we play the game. Otherwise just hand out a yearly trophy to the top ranked FIFA team and save the hassle.

FYIW, I don't think we're going to lose all 3 (and I personally don't think Klinsmann thinks that we're going to be 0-3 either), but I just kinda see Klinsmann's reasoning behind it.

His thinking is "I'd rather lose with an eye to the future, than win while looking back at the past" He doesn't think we're going to go 0-3, and he's publicly stated that he thinks we can sneak out of the group (does he privately think this?).

Again, not saying that I agree with it, or that I like it, but I can sorta see Klinsmann thinking behind dropping Landon. This was in the cards. Howard and Dempsey are leaders (Klinsmann has said so himself), and Beasley fills a role. That leaves Donovan as the odd man, unfortunately.

gutshot

Are people really that shocked about Donovan missing the cut? I know he had a great Gold Cup but that was a year ago against inferior competition. Even he admitted in the 30 for 30 doc that he isn't as fit as he used to be when he was young. Klinsi is putting a premium on fitness this camp and rightly so. If he can't keep up any more at his age, he's not going to help the team.

Frankly it's refreshing to see a coach willing to look towards the future and not just rely on players who've had success in the past. If Bruce Arena had done this in 2006, we probably would have made it out of that group.

I love what Donovan has done for soccer in this country and I'm grateful I got to experience his whole career (and I do mean whole career as I got a chance to watch him in person during the qualifiers for the 2000 Olympics, even met him briefly after the game). But eventually it becomes time to move on.

woodchuck

Look to the future? Then how did brad davis make the cut?

If I had to pick between two 32 year olds to come off the bench to play on the wing, I'd rather go with the guy with over 50 national team goals.

Nesotenso

If I had to pick between two 32 year olds to come off the bench to play on the wing, I'd rather go with the guy with over 50 national team goals.

I think the logic here was that Donovan was competing for a forward spot. But yeah, I would take Landon over Davis in any freaking spot.

Are people really that shocked about Donovan missing the cut? I know he had a great Gold Cup but that was a year ago against inferior competition. Even he admitted in the 30 for 30 doc that he isn't as fit as he used to be when he was young. Klinsi is putting a premium on fitness this camp and rightly so. If he can't keep up any more at his age, he's not going to help the team.

Frankly it's refreshing to see a coach willing to look towards the future and not just rely on players who've had success in the past. If Bruce Arena had done this in 2006, we probably would have made it out of that group.

I love what Donovan has done for soccer in this country and I'm grateful I got to experience his whole career (and I do mean whole career as I got a chance to watch him in person during the qualifiers for the 2000 Olympics, even met him briefly after the game). But eventually it becomes time to move on.

This is what's bothering me though. It does make sense but, from the other side, it looks like you're already throwing in the towel on this World Cup, just giving the youth some experience on the biggest stage. I know we're in a tough group but I feel you bring your best and see what happens. Yeah, Donovan isn't what he was but I'd be more comfortable with him on the field than some other players.

Nesotenso

I know there's other valid points to your post, but I'm cherry picking and I'm going to use it as an example. I keep seeing this and I hate it. Three World Cup games aren't going to magically make these guys better in four years. Constant playing and practice and improvement over the proceeding four years will. I don't get how playing in one World Cup (in a "throwaway" year) group stage equates to rock star players and a road map to the future. I also look at it as an insult to everyone else who made the team if that's actually the case. I can't believe that. I have to hope that he really feel like this roster is the best chance to win now because otherwise I'm going to lose my shit.

Also, we still have our chance. It's not decided yet. It's why we play the games. Otherwise just hand out a yearly trophy to the top ranked FIFA team and save the hassle.

I think one of the reasons you can say that guys like Yedlin, Brooks or even Green made it in is that in a WC you usually never use your entire 23. These guys might not see a second on the pitch but having been there before is going to be huge for the future. I think it comes down who you want sitting on the bench, older vets or the new kids? I think one can make cases for both sets.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think the logic here was that Donovan was competing for a forward spot. But yeah, I would take Landon over Davis in any freaking spot.

That's what it probably came down to. That and the emphasis being put on fitness. Had he been competing for a midfield spot he probably would have made it.

gutshot

This is what's bothering me though. It does make sense but, from the other side, it looks like you're already throwing in the towel on this World Cup, just giving the youth some experience on the biggest stage. I know we're in a tough group but I feel you bring your best and see what happens. Yeah, Donovan isn't what he was but I'd be more comfortable with him on the field than some other players.

It's only throwing in the towel if you think Donovan is going to help you win. I'm guessing Klinnsman didn't think he was going to help and so he left him off. Whether it was because of lack of fitness or form or what have you.

The thing is Klinnsman knew he would get killed by the fans and media if he left Donovan off the squad. And he did it anyway. That to me shows a coach who is confident and making decisions which he thinks are best for the team. A lesser coach would have just called Donovan based on past successes, simply to avoid criticism, even if he didn't deserve it. I respect Klinnsman more for not doing that.

FuturusX

Problem with not taking is Donovan is that he's a big game player. If USA go on to lose all their groups games (very possible)...questions will be asked.

I don't think the US has that many proven inspirational players. It's a brave decision for sure.

NoRéN

lol, fucking klinnsmann. Completely expected. He never seemed to like donovan anyway. At least now donovan can't be blamed for a poor showing.

FpSpPct.png

xbhaskarx

Zero problems with Donovan being cut honestly. He was a borderline guy -before- he walked out on the team and hasn't shown anything since that he belongs. Thought he would make it just based on his legacy but not shocked he didn't make it based on actual merit.

"He was a borderline guy -before- he walked out on the team"

WTF are you talking about...

"and hasn't shown anything since that he belongs."

The Gold Cup? Mexico?

Not a great U.S soccer scholar here, though I really admire how soccer grew on that country over 20 years and it is way bigger, organized and profitable than CBF's circus called brazilian championship...

But, WTF no Donovan?? How bad was he playing lately? In spite of a bad moment, such a skillful and (I believe) leadership-ish player could be extremely valuable to U.S squad, even more because they are in a hell of a group.

I hope that at least you guys get revenge on Germany for 2002.

xbhaskarx

All these "Klinsmann is looking to the future" people can't explain that one... and why not take Boyd and Corona? And it's not just Davis, why take Jones or Wondo or Beckerman or Beasley or Rimando as the third goalkeeper? And none of those guys have 57 goals and 58 assists with the national team.

Problem with not taking is Donovan is that he's a big game player. If USA go on to lose all their groups games (very possible)...questions will be asked.

3AvAaNI.jpg

gutshot

All these "Klinsmann is looking to the future" people can't explain that one... and why not take Boyd and Corona? And it's not just Davis, why take Jones or Wondo or Beckerman or Beasley or Rimando as the third goalkeeper? And none of those guys have 57 goals and 58 assists with the national team.

3AvAaNI.jpg

Looking to the future doesn't mean you take a squad of all young guys. It just means you aren't picking a team based on past successes but rather future contributions.

That stat is crazy though.

xbhaskarx

Looking to the future doesn't mean you take a squad of all young guys. It just means you aren't picking a team based on past successes but rather future contributions.

How exactly does taking a 34 year old Rimando as the third goalkeeper, a position that will never stop on the field for a single minute, instead of younger goalkeepers like Bill Hamid or Sean Johnson who could contribute in the future, fit into that?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Bradley is the new Donovan. Landon fits nowhere in klinsmanns lineup. Watch us go with Bradley beckerman in the middle

This make sense and would explain why Klinsmann put Donovan in as a forward. It does still feel a little like if Portugal had just left Ronaldo off their roster though. We'll be able to see in the send-off series if this was the right decision.

kIdMuScLe

I don't get this looking into the future thing... I mean what the hell have you been doing the last 4 years to prepare for this world cup? I don't get it...

Osorio

How exactly does taking a 34 year old Rimando as the third goalkeeper, a position that will never stop on the field for a single minute, instead of younger goalkeepers like Bill Hamid or Sean Johnson who could contribute in the future, fit into that?
I'd take rimando because of his amazing record against penalties.

Osorio

This make sense and would explain why Klinsmann put Donovan in as a forward. It does still feel a little like if Portugal had just left Ronaldo off their roster though. We'll be able to see in the send-off series if this was the right decision.
Ronaldo has become arguably the best player in the world since South Africa. Donovan took a hiatus and lacks confidence in his fitness. Not anywhere near the same comparison

Osorio

And I will say again Yedlin serves no purpose on this squad. If he touches the field in brazil it will be 98 all over again

gutshot

When I say future contributions I mean in this World Cup, not 2018. I guess he felt Rimando was a better option than those guys.

Hardly. Ronaldo is not only clearly the best player on his team, he is the best player in the world right now. This would be more like Germany leaving Klose off their roster, which could happen.

My guess (not exactly what I feel, but placing myself in klinsmann's shoes):

Donovan wasn't going to be a starter. If he came in, it would be a sub late in a match. Because Donovan isn't in match shape, he wouldn't provide the speed injection that would be a difference maker in a match. As a result, Donovan would be used as a PK sub only. Why spend a spot on him if he's never going to play?

Meier

I don't mind taking Rimando. He's been a good servant for many years and has never made the World Cup. As you say, he won't get on the pitch so I just see it as a nice ceremonial gesture. None of the young crop of GKers look like NT quality yet to be honest.

ZZMitch

This is really tough for me because I have grown to trust Klinsmann and his decision making since he became coach.

But I also did not see Donovan being left off the roster at all...

Klinsmann made this decision for a reason, and he obviously knows a lot more than us and has access to a lot more information than us. So im going to have to respect his decision on this one.

It kinda sucks tho because I was enjoying the feeling of going into the World Cup with no expectations. Now I feel like there are expectations because if we lose then people will say: "if Donovan was here this might not have happened!"

I just want to see us play beautiful football. Maybe im misremembering or mixing anxiety with the aesthetic, but 2010 felt embarrassing to watch more than half the time.

Watching the oranje's change from euro 2008 to WC2010 was disheartening. The flair and fun was stripped from much of their play.

And Dunga's Brazil, ew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom