• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

hasn't be the best game for us, just going through the motions. Players must be relieved they are playing in a relatively meaningful game.

Lkr

Brad Davis took that corner. not Zusi.

yeah fml tried to stealth edit, forgot he got subbed lmao

so glad espn has the world cup one last time. fox's commentary and studio show is SOOOO bad. Lalas isn't much better tbh, but anything is better than fox

I was going to post during the game but I had no signal at all. Here's a bunch of random thoughts off the top of my head having not read any comments elsewhere. Our seats were low in the corners on the side where the US was attacking (we switched at HT).

- Candlestick is a dump. The sightlines are shitty. It's difficult to get to. It's ridiculously windy and cold compared to anywhere within a mile. I'm happy to see the end of the Stick, though I do have to sit through a Quakes - Atletico Madrid game before I'm done with it.
- Crowd was announced at about 25k, but people were slow getting there due to traffic and other issues. Plus a 25k crowd in a stadium that seats 70k+ is going to look off.
- It was a surprise to hear Dempsey scratched after he went through warmups with the full team while Wondo was off with the subs. Definitely a very last minute decision.

As far as the players were, and keep in mind that this was from a limited point of view...

- Howard didn't have much to do
- Beasley was fine though stayed back a fair bit and didn't get forward as much as one would expect.
- Besler looked good both on the ball and cleaning up.
- Cameron was the more assertive of the two center backs, though that'll be his role if he's paired with Besler. No complaints.
- Johnson played much higher than Beasley on his side and got down the wing a lot. He'll be dangerous if they can find space for him, though it's not like this was a huge test of how well he can defend on that side.
- Jones, surprisingly, was very disciplined in staying back and shielding the defense. Again, it might not have been necessary, but I was impressed that they actually had him stay there. His passing was off, but on field you can really see his physicality and ability to close down people quickly.
- Bradley had a subpar game. Lots of missed passes and wasn't as involved with the offense as we'd like. I was surprised to see him play poorly.
- Zusi & Bedoya did will switching wings and delivering crosses. They both tend to drift inside which leaves space for the overlap.
- Wondo had two headers - one which he hit the keeper with and the other was well saved. Solid game from him.
- Altidore's linkup/holdup play was good. He tended to drift wide a lot which left a little too much space in the center of the field. Need to put him in a position to score rather than have him just holding up the ball and making runs to clear defenders out wide.
- Davis impressed me most out of the subs. I thought he did really well and was consistently dangerous. Unexpected.
- Chandler has some wheels getting up the wing, but who knows if he can play defense.
- Yedlin didn't do much of note.
- Diskerud got involved a lot once he came on. He was actually trying to find space and asking for the ball, which is much more than I can say for anyone else on the team. Overall the US looked way too static this evening. Not enough movement off the ball.
- Johannsson finished well on his goal. Didn't see too much from him.
- Gonzalez looked slow, like usual. I can see his value when we have a tall team pumping in crosses, but otherwise I get nervous with him out there against faster players.

That's about it. It was an uneven game against a team that was sitting back. Unfortunately, we're unlikely to see anything like that at the World Cup, but at least a few players got some experience together and a little match fitness. Bring on Turkey.

Zusi taking a corner:
pfYf2wN.jpg

doesn't tell the whole story.

Here's the story: Our starting forward was injured before he ever took the pitch and our young guns stepped up in his stead. That's a lot to be happy about, but there's not much use arguing with a jaded USA fan. Hell, we've won GOLD Cups against CONCACAF Caribbean teams!

Get real, let's move forward with Diskerud and Johannson in the starting lineup. Klinnsman is about an inch from that decision, and both have performed so well during qualifying and friendlies when given the chance that they deserve it! I would love to see both of them in the lineup!

I only caught the second half, but the US really looked deflated out there. There was almost no energy until we got that first goal with 15 minutes left in the game.

I guess the upside is that even though we played very mediocre, we still beat a very mediocre team. That's actually a sign of a strong team. A strong team even when they play mediocre, often still find a way to pull off the result against equal or weaker opponents.

The problem is in this World Cup we're not playing against equal or lesser opponents. All the teams in our group are stronger than us to varying degrees, so performance like this will lead to a quick exit in Brazil.

Hopefully we look better against Turkey.

Clydefrog

'Fine' won't cut it against Azerbaijian. But then again, how good can we possibly look in order to compete with our group? Impossible. The Ghana match is so fucking huge :(

The backline is such a glaring issue.

Osorio

Brek Shea was at legends last night. He and his crew looked like saved by the bell rejects and I'd totally bang his sister.

Askani

For the record, I want to retract my previous whine from the SKC/NYRB game last night. BWP was totally onside. From my angle I couldn't see the guy behind him keeping him on.

Osorio

For the record, I want to retract my previous whine from the SKC/NYRB game last night. BWP was totally onside. From my angle I couldn't see the guy behind him keeping him on.
Yeah even many metro fans thought it was offsides. The skc rightback is hardly visible at the bottom of the screen

Meier

South Korea lost a tune-up to Tunisia this morning. It was an underwhelming result last night but I guess that's been fairly typical from a lot of these early friendlies.

Dazzler

Playing a team like Azerbaijan is a total lose-lose really. You're never going to spank them 5/6-0 and breaking them down can be really difficult

US aren't going to face a team like that in Brazil

Turkey match will be a real indicator of where you guys are at. They're a little defensively suspect but a lot more potent going forward than Azerbaijan

I don't get the doom and gloom from last night. Sure the USMNT was little flat and you'd love to see a bit more urgency, but its the first tune-up game and the first game for a lot of guys playing together. The final scoreline for that meaningless game was irrelevant. If this was Ghana in Brazil, it would be one thing, but its Azerbaijan in Candlestick on May 27th.

I didn't expect a sudden offensive explosion against a team playing with 11 men behind the ball. Last night for me, it was more important to just keep the clean sheet and get out of the match with no injuries (Deuce's groin not withstanding)

it certainly seemed like the hard training affected them quite a bit. That second half showed it.

I'm glad to see Davis getting some recognition out there. While I'm not certain he'd be quality at the USMNT level, he's displayed some ridiculous talent at many Dynamo games I've watched over the years.

tbm24

Greetings all, I put in for season tickets for NYCFC for the 2015 season a while ago. I got an email just now that they have updated the site with the seating chart and prices.

http://nycfc.com/Season-Tickets

I don't know if anyone else here is from NYC as well but all things considered, prices aren't bad. Last game I saw at the stadium was when Spain did a friendly with Ireland here. Not too excited about the prospects of watching games here from my last experience.

Either way I think category 2-4 seem pretty good considering the shape of the whole thing. I don't get to pick a seat until a later date.

StadiumMap-edit5v10.ashx

Osorio

They're almost equivalent to rbny. However I love that the supporters sections are general admission and standing room only. The supporters sections at rba are frustrating because you'll haveany tourists there detracting from the atmosphere and if you tell them to move they'll just say its their seat.

Btw I pay 320 for my supporters section season ticket

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't get the doom and gloom from last night. Sure the USMNT was little flat and you'd love to see a bit more urgency, but its the first tune-up game and the first game for a lot of guys playing together. The final scoreline for that meaningless game was irrelevant. If this was Ghana in Brazil, it would be one thing, but its Azerbaijan in Candlestick on May 27th.

I didn't expect a sudden offensive explosion against a team playing with 11 men behind the ball. Last night for me, it was more important to just keep the clean sheet and get out of the match with no injuries (Deuce's groin not withstanding)

Agreed, it was fine as a warm up after a week of hard training. They need to do a lot better against Turkey on Sunday though.

Atlagev

I was in the American Outlaws section behind the goal. There seemed to be some kind of drama between the American Outlaws and the SJ Earthquakes Ultras supporters group that was seated next to us. The American Outlaws capos told us not to do their chants, etc. I didn't get that. I mean, if a chant catches on, no matter who started it, that's a win, right?

Also, the capos seemed *really* hardcore about making us follow their exact chants, instead of letting some chants happen organically. I know they are trying to push people to support the team, but it almost turned me off.

Also, the sound system at Candlestick is shit. If our singing of the national anthem was off, it's because we *couldn't hear the damn anthem*! I sang my damn heart out, though.

Biggest takeaway from last night's game for me: The Iceman motherfucking cometh. This kid is slippery as hell, has a great touch, and an unbelievable eye for goal. Could be our first real big star in Europe. AZ is only the beginning for him.

EDIT: Also, I watched the game when I got home, and Jon Champion was going on about how the American Outlaws were going to do a tribute to Landon Donovan in the 10th minute. I was right near the front of the American Outlaws section, and heard *nothing* about any sort of tribute. Considering how well-organized the American Outlaws capos were, if there was some sort of tribute planned for Landon Donovan, we were not informed of it.

tbm24

They're almost equivalent to rbny. However I love that the supporters sections are general admission and standing room only. The supporters sections at rba are frustrating because you'll haveany tourists there detracting from the atmosphere and if you tell them to move they'll just say its their seat.

Btw I pay 320 for my supporters section season ticket

The supporter's section is really tempting for me however I'd like to see what it looks like from up there. Otherwise I'm eyeing category 4 or 5 sections.

xbhaskarx

There are guys who have bad games (Bradley, Besler) and you trust that it won't happen again. And then there's Jozy... I hate to say it but it's probably time to bench the guy and try starting Johannsson. Given how Jozy is playing how does Klinsmann justify not putting another target forward on the roster? Boyd certainly couldn't have done any worse than Jozy did last night...

hasn't be the best game for us, just going through the motions.

Scoreboard.

I don't get the doom and gloom from last night. Sure the USMNT was little flat and you'd love to see a bit more urgency, but its the first tune-up game and the first game for a lot of guys playing together. The final scoreline for that meaningless game was irrelevant.

I'm confused, should we not worry about crappy performances almost across the entire starting lineup because "scoreboard" or is the unimpressive final scoreline irrelevant?

To me it looked like every US team under Klinsmann playing their first game after a long period of training, whether it's January Camps, the first game of the Hex at Honduras, or that one "mini tournament" where the US drew Canada 0-0 and should have lost 1-0 on a Castillo fuckup. The guy is obsessed with fitness and works our players into the ground, and then they come out totally flat. Is there any reason to believe he won't do that again before the game against Ghana?

Meier

David Villa to NYCFC on a 3 year deal is making the rounds. Not sure if he'd stay at Atletico until then or what. Maybe a pre-contract arrangement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom