• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbm24

David Villa to NYCFC on a 3 year deal is making the rounds. Not sure if he'd stay at Atletico until then or what. Maybe a pre-contract arrangement?
That would be very surprising to me. I'm going to assume NYCFC is going to pay really well since I don't believe his career in top flight football is necessarily over.

Would be pretty cool however, I still have his 2010 WC kit somewhere in my closet.

bnE0oHU.jpg

methodman

Banned
Donovan. :(

The reason the story continues is that it keeps getting worse and worse. I mean, you really couldn't even dream up a better script. Cutting Donovan in favor of Davis and Green of all people. Jurgen's son's tweets. Landon scoring a brace and an assist and breaking the freaking MLS scoring record like two days after being cut. (And looking awesome doing it: totally fit and on form, crushing the myth that he deserved to be cut for showing up out of shape and in poor form to camp.) Magee's epic tweet. Jurgen's failure to congratulate Donovan for breaking the record, betraying his personal dislike of the guy. Clint getting hurt and the USMNT putting up a stinker of a performance against Borat's team. Rumors of Green's promised roster spot, poor performance in training and not even getting in the game in our easiest friendly. Jurgen's double-talk and lack of a clear reason for cutting Donovan, including his ridiculously weak "he's a forward not a midfielder" Jedi mind trick. (I feel like I'm leaving out some good ones, but that's plenty.) I mean, really, wtf is next?!?!

This post on big soccer says exactly what I'm thinking and why I'm still so damn upset about all of this. Ugh.

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/donovan-cut-is-this-the-end-of-landon.2005061/page-142

Open Cup 4th Round Matchups

Wednesday, June 11, 10 pm ET, Houston Dynamo vs. Laredo Heat (PDL)
Wednesday, June 11, 10:30 pm ET, San Jose Earthquakes vs. Sacramento Republic (USL PRO)
Saturday, June 14, 8:30 pm ET, New York Cosmos (NASL) vs. New York Red Bulls
Saturday, June 14, 8 pm ET, Carolina RailHawks (NASL) vs. Chivas USA
Saturday, June 14, 7:30 pm ET, Atlanta Silverbacks (NASL) vs. Real Salt Lake
Tuesday, June 17, 7 pm ET, Philadelphia Union vs. Harrisburg City Islanders (USL PRO)
Tuesday, June 17, 7:05 pm ET, Rochester Rhinos (USL PRO) vs. D.C. United
Tuesday, June 17, 7:30 pm ET, Columbus Crew vs. Indy Eleven (NASL)
Tuesday, June 17, 9 pm ET, FC Dallas vs. San Antonio Scorpions (NASL)
Tuesday, June 17, 9 pm ET, Colorado Rapids vs. Orlando City (USL PRO)
Tuesday, June 17, 10:30 pm ET, Portland Timbers vs. Orlando City U23s (PDL)
Wednesday, June 18, 7 pm ET, Richmond Kickers (USL PRO) vs. New England Revolution
Wednesday, June 18, 8:30 pm ET, Chicago Fire vs. Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USL PRO)
Wednesday, June 18, 8:30 pm ET, Sporting Kansas City vs. Minnesota United (NASL)
Wednesday, June 18, 10 pm ET, Seattle Sounders vs. PSA Elite (USASA)
Wednesday, June 18, 10:30 pm ET, Arizona United (USL PRO) vs. LA Galaxy

Osorio

Looks like my first away trip of the year will be cosmos away. Judging from the media reports Petke is willing to sacrifice this competition :(

Well def be without Cahill miller Henry and olave...

Looks like my first away trip of the year will be cosmos away. Judging from the media reports Petke is willing to sacrifice this competition :(

Well def be without Cahill miller Henry and olave...

Anywhere this is being broadcast or streamed? Was planning on making the trip to watch in person but rather not if Red Bulls aren't going with the intentions of fully competing.

Osorio

Anywhere this is being broadcast or streamed? Was planning on making the trip to watch in person but rather not if Red Bulls aren't going with the intentions of fully competing.
Nothing has been said yet but most likely there will be a stream from the red bulls, the cosmos, or both. After all, this is probably the most important game in neo-cosmos history

Dartastic

I forgot to mention that I went to a timbers sponsored pub event thing and won tickets to the SKC match! Yayyyy that's like, the game I wanted to go to most this year.

@JeffreyCarlisle said:
Jurgen Klinsmann says that Clint Dempsey was limited to straight ahead movements yesterday. Expects him to be back to full speed on Friday. #USMNT

More Klinsmann on Dempsey: "Everything is good." Says Dempsey will "definitely" start vs. Turkey. #USMNT

xbhaskarx

MLS ranked most diverse major sports league in North America with 57 nationalities represented

Major League Soccer's updated survey of its players' places of birth reveals it to be the most diverse group of athletes among the top five team sports leagues in the United States, the league announced on Thursday, with 57 different countries represented as of May 29.

Meanwhile, the number of MLS players born in the United States and Canada has reached an all-time high with 311 players spanning 37 states and four provinces.

The states that have the most representation this season are California (70), Texas (32) and Ohio (23). Ontario has Canada's highest level of MLS representation with 14 players.

League (year)

Total # of Players

Players Born Abroad
(% born outside U.S.A. & Canada)

Countries Represented
(incl. U.S.A. & Canada)

MLS (2014)
208 (38.3%)

NBA (2013-2014)
86 (19.2%)

NHL (2013-2014)
197 (24.9%)

MLB (2014)
218 (25.7%)

NFL (2013)
49 (2.4%)

no world map this year?

daegan

I was in the American Outlaws section behind the goal. There seemed to be some kind of drama between the American Outlaws and the SJ Earthquakes Ultras supporters group that was seated next to us. The American Outlaws capos told us not to do their chants, etc. I didn't get that. I mean, if a chant catches on, no matter who started it, that's a win, right?

Also, the capos seemed *really* hardcore about making us follow their exact chants, instead of letting some chants happen organically. I know they are trying to push people to support the team, but it almost turned me off.

Also, the sound system at Candlestick is shit. If our singing of the national anthem was off, it's because we *couldn't hear the damn anthem*! I sang my damn heart out, though.

Biggest takeaway from last night's game for me: The Iceman motherfucking cometh. This kid is slippery as hell, has a great touch, and an unbelievable eye for goal. Could be our first real big star in Europe. AZ is only the beginning for him.

EDIT: Also, I watched the game when I got home, and Jon Champion was going on about how the American Outlaws were going to do a tribute to Landon Donovan in the 10th minute. I was right near the front of the American Outlaws section, and heard *nothing* about any sort of tribute. Considering how well-organized the American Outlaws capos were, if there was some sort of tribute planned for Landon Donovan, we were not informed of it.

I saw some crap about this on twitter the other day, so I'm glad someone saw it in person.

I've literally been going to games since AO started - my first US game was the friendly v Brazil in Chicago that was the first one they were at. They were still wearing blue and they were across the stadium.

Since then I've been to the last two Dos A Ceros in Columbus and our Gold Cup victory vs Canada here in Detroit and what I've noticed as time goes on is they are trying to be more organized, but it comes off as more demanding...

This is particular to last year in Columbus, where they wanted to use capos from other cities and brigades instead of people from Columbus. I think this was partially because the Crew supporters don't use capos and obviously there is a lot of crossover, but it ended up sputtering out because it is very difficult to keep half a stadium on one chant. It probably would've worked out better if each section/capo was left pretty much to their own, because the atmosphere was not as good as it was in 2009 in the freezing rain.

Now I see this and again, why pick a fight with local supporters? Why not have them help to organize the whole entire section? Were the Ultras wearing team colors or something?

Personally I just want us to be loud and awesome every game, and not fighting with each other. We sounded like shit on the broadcast and I really hope it was better in person, but seeing this makes me think it wasn't.

daoster

Were there really two episodes? I fucking hate that ESPN is basically changing the fucking day every week, messing my my DVR.

ARRGH

A few tidbits on why the Bay Area game was at Candlestick:
Jeff Carlise said:
I was told Stanford wasn't an option b/c weeknight games aren't allowed while school is in session.
Robert Jonas said:
Giants and A's were both at home, Cal is turf, and Stanford is too expensive. No way it was going to be at Spartan!

Holding events at Stanford Stadium, to my knowledge, is limited and expensive. Training involves none of the same logistics.
It's too bad that there are such serious limitations on playing at Stanford. It's a much better place to watch soccer. Cal is hosting the Real-Inter game this Summer, but presumably they'll sell enough tickets at absurd prices to justify laying temporary grass over it.

Zynx

This is probably a dumb question, but why is "Canada I" among what seems to be all professional clubs for the concacaf champions league?

e: Nevermind. A little googling solved the mystery, I think. The winner of the Canada Cup takes the place of "Canada I".

Good episodes of the Inside documentary tonight. I always forget how young Johnannsson and Mixx are. Johannsson saying "Mobile Alabama" with the accent was hilarious.

After watching the Inside: US Soccer's March to Brazil, I decided to look at an age distribution on the roster:

Code:
Age	Players
19	Green
20	Yedlin
21	Brooks
23	Diskerud, Johannsson
24	Altidore, Chandler
25	Gonzalez
26	Johnson, Bradley
27	Besler, Bedoya, Zusi
28	Cameron
29	Guzan