• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

daegan

I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!

-----

Got in to work early so I could leave early today... Today cannot go by fast enough.

I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!

First day of training - turning off all my alerts now and putting my phone in airplane around game time so that I can rush back to the hotel and watch on watchespn. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DGByZjKkSI

BqQNyQ9CMAAjf61.jpg

It's been shite weather here all weekend. Overcast, pouring rain all day. Area is in a floodwatch many people sandbagging trying to fend off the weather from their homes.

This morning is blue sky. Sun shining and warm. Spirits are up. I can only take this as a good omen. I believe that we will.

gutshot

I think a lot of people overestimate Portugal and Ghana's defense. Jozy having such a terrible year for Sunderland didn't help general perception. I think we win tonight 2-1.

Yeah, saying we won't score a goal is kinda silly. Don't think many people actually believe that. Most think we are a decent side drawn into a tough group and so will likely only play 3 games in this World Cup. Time to prove them wrong.

I still feel a draw tonight but a shock win against Portugal. Then hopefully Germany has already sewn up the group by the third game and is happy to play for the draw.

Nesotenso

fucking hate the fact that I have a lecture the entire duration of the game. Hopefully we win so that the score updates bring some joy.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
We're barely halfway through but Portugal looks awful

Germany is scary good though.

The Germans are even more frightening than I originally thought, Portugal looks like a bunch of toddlers in comparison. If they play like this against us, I think we can take them. It's like Portugal doesn't understand what defense is.

The Germans are even more frightening than I originally thought, Portugal looks like a bunch of toddlers in comparison. If they play like this against us, I think we can take them. It's like Portugal doesn't understand what defense is.

Germany is about as scary as I thought they'd be

But yeah holy shit at Pepe being gone for the 22nd

FuturusX

Just to temper the joy. I actually don't think this is that good a result for the US. Portugal will have to go all out now. A wounded animal is dangerous.

EDIT: Pepe being out is however good.

xbhaskarx

Portugal playing with 10 for an entire half could also be great for us if it comes down to goal differential...

Just to temper the joy. I actually don't think this is that good a result for the US. Portugal will have to go all out now. A wounded animal is dangerous.

No way. If we know they will go all out that leaves them vulnerable to counterattacks.

gutshot

Portugal is going to have to expend a lot of energy to keep this score somewhat reasonable. They are going to have heavy legs come Sunday in Manaus. That is a huge benefit to us.

It all comes down to this: win against Ghana, draw against Portugal and the US is almost certainly through.

Matthew Tomaszewicz ‏@shinguardian 5m
If true, SHOCKING! (I trust Theo) MT @TKSakyi #GHA for #USA: Kwarasey, Opare Asamoah, Mensah, Boye; Sulley, Rabiu Atsu, A Ayew ;J Ayew, Gyan

Matthew Tomaszewicz ‏@shinguardian 3m
That #GHA line-up would be pure defense & counter with speed. Basically slingshotting. No Essien. No Muntari. If true, wow.

Matthew Tomaszewicz ‏@shinguardian 2m
@ccb1212 No vets. All speed up front. Two d-mids not exactly fantastic at managing the ball.

gutshot

That makes me nervous. I feel like I'd rather get into a possession battle with Ghana and then look to exploit their weak defense. If they are bolstering their defense and looking to bunker and then counter-attack with pace, I'd say that is a pretty good strategy.

Toothpick

Coentrao's chemistry with Ronaldo on the left is something that had me shaking. He might be out for the next game now..

USA has to take it to Ghana tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom