• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Just wait for the excuses to start rolling in, just like when the US beat a Spain team that "didn't care" (and yet were crying afterwards), or when Honduras knocked out Spain and then outplayed Brazil at the Olympics (won by Mexico)...

Just wait for the excuses to start rolling in, just like when the US beat a Spain team that "didn't care" (and yet were crying afterwards), or when Honduras knocked out Spain and then outplayed Brazil at the Olympics (won by Mexico)...

it'll always be excuses, all the way down.

When a european and or south american team don't win, it's always downplayed. and i love all the salt.

That Manaus heat is no joke. England and Italy both look tired as hell (specifically England, they look like they forgot how to play the sport).

That match there against Portugal is one where I could really see JK's fitness initiatives paying dividends for USMNT.

Yeah Manaus has me a bit anxious but I feel like we (should) have more experience in playing in the oppressive weather

we'll also have a game in a warm and humid weather under our belts so i bet we'll fare a bit better

gutshot

I've been pretty impressed with ESPN's coverage so far*. Anyone else care to comment?

*except Alexi Lalas

TV coverage is great, but good luck getting any of their radio personalities to talk about the WC. Leaving work yesterday after that amazing NED-SPA game and I checked like 5-6 different ESPN stations to see if someone anyone was talking World Cup. Nope, all Carmelo-to-the-Heat bullshit.

Nesotenso

I've been pretty impressed with ESPN's coverage so far*. Anyone else care to comment?

*except Alexi Lalas

yeah it has been great even Alexi. Looking forward to watching the night recaps all month. Solid way to go out. Hope Wynalda is fired by the time 2018 comes around.

daoster

i mean...I was always nervous, but always hopefully optimistic. What about these games have made you (presumably) more nervous?

gutshot

Anyone else getting really nervous for the game monday while watching these games?

This World Cup has been so much fun to watch. I almost don't want the US to play because if they lose I'm going to be bitter and it will take a lot of the fun out of watching these other matches.

ZZMitch

This World Cup has been so much fun to watch. I almost don't want the US to play because if they lose I'm going to be bitter and it will take a lot of the fun out of watching these other matches.

I usually don't get bitter like that until after they are officially out :p

TV coverage is great, but good luck getting any of their radio personalities to talk about the WC. Leaving work yesterday after that amazing NED-SPA game and I checked like 5-6 different ESPN stations to see if someone anyone was talking World Cup. Nope, all Carmelo-to-the-Heat bullshit.

that's been super annoying. espn really needs to hop off the nba's dick for better sports.

yeah it has been great even Alexi. Looking forward to watching the night recaps all month. Solid way to go out. Hope Wynalda is fired by the time 2018 comes around.

Well early on Alexi was just being a pain in the ass from what I remember so I started to tune him out so he probably improved.

eh I'm mostly the same but I am going to still enjoy it for what it is, even if i'm a bit sad.

RELAYER

Banned

I'm the same way.

Watching the matches now is great fun because the U.S. still has a clean slate.

When the U.S. plays on Monday I'm just going to be on the verge of a heart attack the entire time.

We really need to get 3 points out of Ghana.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
It's okay. Petke didn't give a shit. Neither should we.

I don't like this "Oh Petke didn't care, why should we?" mentality I'm seeing. You know what happened when Hans Backe didn't care enough to even go to a USOC match a couple years ago? We made it known to the FO.

Sure the playing surface was terrible and all these other excuses, but at least show a little effort out there, if not for the club, then do it for the supporters that traveled to cheer you guys on.

I don't like this "Oh Petke didn't care, why should we?" mentality I'm seeing. You know what happened when Hans Backe didn't care enough to even go to a USOC match a couple years ago? We made it known to the FO.

Sure the playing surface was terrible and all these other excuses, but at least show a little effort out there, if not for the club, then do it for the supporters that traveled to cheer you guys on.

They did show effort but when you throw out a depleted and, for some, exhausted lineup against a team who acted like this was their Super Bowl, what do you expect?

To me, MLS is top priority and should be their main focus. USOC, especially when you look at the situation they're in, isn't a big deal.

daoster

This day of soccer is finally over.

I feel exhausted. It feels like it's been forever since the USA last played a game, it almost seems like the US isn't in the tournament, because they play so late in the tourney.

But TOMORROW. The World Cup begins for our boys. Hope they make us proud.

What's your prediction for tomorrow's game?

2-2 for the first draw of the tournament.

Also, Ronaldo says he's fit for tomorrow's game. I don't wish physical harm on him, but I do hope that he makes a bad turn and it hurts his knees somehow (at least until after the game with USA).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think we take them 2-1. Either way this one goes, it's going to be a close game. Unless Jozy's finally back in form, then I predict he gets a hat trick and we blow them away.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Going with 2-1, Jozy and Iceman, but holy shit am I nervous

Just believe

BaMrUdS.gif

goal0er8b.gif

jozy-amerrricun64rhv.gif

RELAYER

Banned
I tried watching World Cup 2010 clips to get pumped up, but all the best moments involve Donovan =(
Wish Donovan was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom