• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's certainly plausible. I'm not booking tickets to watch a World Cup final in LA until I see a press release and a picture of Sepp Blatter's smarmy half-smile shaking hands with Sunil Gulati, but it's believable.

xbhaskarx

Freakonomics Radio put out a podcast titled Why America Doesn't Love Soccer (Yet). Interviews with Sunil Gulati, Andrew Luck, and some random dude named Jonathan Wilson that I'm guessing they're too clueless to realize isn't the real Jonathan Wilson...

http://freakonomics.com/2014/06/12/...-soccer-yet-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

This annoys me:
It’s no secret that soccer continues to lag behind other U.S. sports in viewership and enthusiasm. For instance, 111.5 million Americans sat down to watch Super Bowl XLVIII in 2014. Meanwhile, only 24.3 million watched the 2010 World Cup Final, which was actually a record.

To put this in global perspective, total Super Bowl viewership is roughly 90 percent American while viewership of the biggest soccer event is roughly 3 percent American.

Better than 1/5 the ratings for the Super Bowl, for an event on another continent, played at a not-ideal time for US audiences, with zero Americans playing on both sides, is somehow considered disappointing?

Osorio

Freakonomics Radio put out a podcast titled Why America Doesn't Love Soccer (Yet). Interviews with Sunil Gulati, Andrew Luck, and some random dude named Jonathan Wilson that I'm guessing they're too clueless to realize isn't the real Jonathan Wilson...

http://freakonomics.com/2014/06/12/...-soccer-yet-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

This annoys me:

Better than 1/5 the ratings for the Super Bowl, for an event on another continent, played at a not-ideal time for US audiences, with zero Americans playing on both sides, is somehow considered disappointing?

NHL wishes they could get that number for Stanley Cup finals

gutshot

This annoys me:

Warning: don't read the comment section unless you want to ruin your Friday morning.

"Soccer is boring cuz no one scores HUR DUR!!!1!"

gutshot

In related news, the World Cup opener yesterday afternoon posted an 18 share in NYC, the country's largest market. That is tied with the NBA Finals game from later that night.

Not bad.

Osorio

In related news, the World Cup opener yesterday afternoon posted an 18 share in NYC, the country's largest market. That is tied with the NBA Finals game from later that night.

Not bad.

Yeah I'm not even going to bother going to bars in the city. Especially for Spain v Netherlands.

Actually going to watch it at the Colombian strip joint two blocks down haha

xbhaskarx

My theory is that basketball is too low scoring for American tastes. Football is really popular in the US (see Super Bowl ratings), the NBA should make field goals worth three points and turn three pointers into six pointers with an extra point free throw afterwards...

Also the players flop around too much, which isn't manly. Put them in helmets and pads and have them give each other brain damage. If the average professional basketball career is only 3 years long, Americans would respect the athletes more.

xbhaskarx

I think he makes some good points:

Football — the one with the helmets and pads — may not always have a lot of scoring, but at least each touchdown delivers six points and an opportunity for a couple more.

6>1 you can't argue with math

He’d alter the rules to favor the offense, eliminating the offside rule, which forbids players from passing to teammates standing behind enemy lines.

Why has no one thought of this before...

gutshot

Came in to post that link

Total embarrassment for the guy who wrote this

He seems to be reveling in the hate from soccer fans on Twitter. He's either a massive troll or a guy who wrote an article so dumb that to save face he decided to act like he was trolling people.

Osorio

There are always articles about why Americans don't like soccer but there's never articles about why the world doesn't like football

Hmmmm

xbhaskarx

New DC United stadium renderings

http://www.dcunited.com/new-stadium-fresh-look

CAMERA-7---projector.jpg

Meier

So how bout that game today, huh?

I want to believe. If the Dutch can dick Spain like that, maybe we can beat Portugal again. We obviously don't have two of the best players in the world like the Dutch do, but their team was pretty inexperienced outside of Sneijder, Robben and RVP -- Spain were definitely heavy favorites at the level Portugal would be over us.

So how bout that game today, huh?

I want to believe. If the Dutch can dick Spain like that, maybe we can beat Portugal again. We obviously don't have two of the best players in the world like the Dutch do, but their team was pretty inexperienced outside of Sneijder, Robben and RVP -- Spain were definitely heavy favorites at the level Portugal would be over us.

I believe!

Nesotenso

The narrative that JK has given even before the first game has started needs to die already. The majority of the media who has no clue about the game seems to have taken that one quote and run with it. JK is not telling his team that cannot win against anyone or can't go toe to toe with anyone.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Well officiated game from Mark Geiger today, made PRO proud. Next time he fucks up on a call, don't boo him as hard or something.

I'm glad so many goals are being scored so far in all the games. hopefully the "lawl soccer is always 0-0 or 1-0" people shut up. I run into that a lot around my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom