• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

ZZMitch

Is it wrong of me to want them to miss the WC simply to ensure Klinsmann is fired?

Best case scenario is we get to a point in qualifying where our chances of getting to the WC seem iffy so USSF panicks and goes for a new coach and then we qualify.

We can have both! :p

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Best case scenario is we get to a point in qualifying where our chances of getting to the WC seem iffy so USSF panicks and goes for a new coach and then we qualify.

We can have both! :p

Somehow I think this might be the most likely scenario at this point.

I think Klinsmann would be sacked long before it looks like the USMNT is in danger of missing the WC.

Despite what Gulati says, I have to doubt that he has that much job security at the moment after the embarassment of GC2015 and losing to Mexico in Confed Cup playoff.

I really think he needs a good performance at Copa Centanario. Even if it's "meaningless", the USMNT needs to get out of their group.

RBH

ovpkmxjzhk9nqhyxvi3h.gif

ZZMitch

Everyone too depressed from yesterday to watch MLS today?

Soo many missed chances from the Revs, even when down to 10 men :x

I just bought some Detroit City FC stuff, definitely overpaid because of the Canadian dollar and all that, but oh well. I support what they're doing and hope to catch a match live this year.

(I'm from Windsor, right across from Detroit, though I live closer to Toronto these days.)

Anyone else keep tabs on the lower divisions?

Cystm

I just bought some Detroit City FC stuff, definitely overpaid because of the Canadian dollar and all that, but oh well. I support what they're doing and hope to catch a match live this year.

(I'm from Windsor, right across from Detroit, though I live closer to Toronto these days.)

Anyone else keep tabs on the lower divisions?

I believe Esch supports STLFC and smokeandmirrors supports Bethlehem Steel FC, but I can't recall anyone else mentioning fourth tier clubs at all really.

Attention MetroGAF!

If anyone is interested in seeing Bayern/Real Madrid in August during the ICC, PM me because I got a promo code and link to get tickets tomorrow morning before they go on sale April 5.

I won't be using it so I thought I'd pass it along.

Meier

Andrew King
‏@AndrewKingMLS
Klinsmann: "I'm not playing anyone out of position." #USMNT

lol wut

I mean, if you look at the team he played last week and the formation, I think he's really not that far off in this instance. You could make the case for Yedlin, but he has played as right midfielder before for the US and done well there. Everyone else was in a natural position, or at least one they've played in regularly. Geoff Cameron was a regular RB for Stoke for 3 seasons before moving to CB primarily this season. That doesn't mean he's out of position though because he isn't playing their now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I mean, if you look at the team he played last week and the formation, I think he's really not that far off in this instance. You could make the case for Yedlin, but he has played as right midfielder before for the US and done well there. Everyone else was in a natural position, or at least one they've played in regularly. Geoff Cameron was a regular RB for Stoke for 3 seasons before moving to CB primarily this season. That doesn't mean he's out of position though because he isn't playing their now.

Mix as d-mid makes no sense given his skill set and yet he keeps getting played there. If he wants a d-mid all he's got to do is call up Dax and it's problem solved.

Askani

Feel free to speculate, or not:

SI.com said:
USA manager Jurgen Klinsmann has listed his Newport Beach, California, home for sale, according Realtor.com.

Klinsmann, the U.S. men’s national team coach since 2011, listed his 3,000-square-foot home for just under $2.4 million.

After Friday’s 2–0 loss to Guatemala, Klinsmann’s squad is 1–1–1 in 2018 World Cup qualifying, putting it in third place halfway through CONCACAF’s semifinal stage. Just the top two finishers in the four-team group advance to the Hexagonal.

Last year, Klinsmann and the USMNT finished fourth in the CONCACAF Gold Cup and failed to qualify for the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup in Russia.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/03/28/usa-jurgen-klinsmann-lists-newport-beach-home

Huge game day for US Soccer with a lot on the line:

7pm ET: MNT vs Guatemala from Columbus, Ohio. ESPN2/UniMas/Univision Deportes
9:30pm ET: U23 MNT vs Colombia from Frisco, Texas. ESPN2.

In the (relatively unlikely) event that USMNT loses tonight, does Klinsmann get to leave the stadium as manager?

I think not at this point
A few reporters in the know said that he's not likely to lose his job unless (until?) they're officially eliminated from WCQ, and that can't happen tonight.

I feel like I'm gonna puke a lot tonight.
It's a familiar feeling.

I'm not too worried about the u23, but the full men's team is getting me worried.
U23's have me worried, as well. It'd be just like the US to cough it up late in Olympic Qualifying.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
A few reporters in the know said that he's not likely to lose his job unless (until?) they're officially eliminated from WCQ, and that can't happen tonight.

That's bullshit. If they'd actually let this happen...

U23's have me worried, as well. It'd be just like the US to cough it up late in Olympic Qualifying.

It would, but after the performance last time I think they've got it. Gonna be a nervy as fuck game though.

More games confirmed:
CHICAGO (March 29, 2016) – The U.S. Men’s National Team will play three major matches – two preparation matches in May for Copa America Centenario and a World Cup Qualifier in September – in Frisco, Texas, Kansas City and Jacksonville, Florida.

The USA’s two warm-up matches prior to hosting the Copa America Centenario this summer, will be against Ecuador on Wednesday, May 25, at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas (7 p.m. CT, TV: TBD) and Bolivia on Saturday, May 28, at Children’s Mercy Park in Kansas City, Kansas (7 p.m. CT on FS1 and Univision networks).

After Copa America Centenario, the U.S. will play its final match of the Semifinal Round of 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying on Tuesday, Sept. 6, at EverBank Field in Jacksonville. The match, which could be vital for advancing to the Final Round of World Cup Qualifying, will be broadcast on FS1 and Univision networks. The exact kickoff time is still to be determined.

Lineup tidbits from Goff:
Klinsmann is expected to make several lineup changes, in part because this is the second game in five days and because alterations are required following a 2-0 setback in Guatemala City. He had previously announced a goalkeeper rotation, which, if still applicable, means Brad Guzan will replace Tim Howard. I am also getting word D.C. United’s Steve Birnbaum will start in place of Tijuana’s Michael Orozco on the backline. Midfielder Alejandro Bedoya’s status is questionable because of a sore ankle.

Meier

Mix as d-mid makes no sense given his skill set and yet he keeps getting played there. If he wants a d-mid all he's got to do is call up Dax and it's problem solved.

Mix wasn't a "defensive midfielder" really. Both he and Bradley were both set up as central midfielders who would alternate going forward more than the other, kind of like Fernandinho for Man City. Box to box and defensive are very different.

Clydefrog

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the U23 game. I am confident, however, that the men's squad will take care of Guatemala tonight. We will get the 2 quick goals this time and then a miss a ton of chances. Maybe ultimately 3-1.

Meier

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the U23 game. I am confident, however, that the men's squad will take care of Guatemala tonight. We will get the 2 quick goals this time and then a miss a ton of chances. Maybe ultimately 3-1.

The U23 team had so many chances to score.. I think not getting another away goal will probably mean they lose. Needed 2-3 to feel safe IMO.

I have no clue what to think about the Senior team. I think we'll win but I thought we'd win the last game too so who knows. His lineup selection is going to be very interesting. Hope Pulisic plays.

I agree. I don't actually see the USMNT losing tonight.

Them losing to Guatemala in Columbus would honestly be one of the most shocking results I've seen. Utterly flabbergasting

Top Bottom