• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Dartastic

Basically, I'm Dartastic last year.
Hah. I'm happy for you. I straight up jumped up and down once Jozy scored that header. Fantastic game. Fuck Seattle up. Give them no quarter. Be loud. I'm pretty sure everyone in Portland is rooting for you. We all want a repeat of this. He was lit as fuck.
gUOWyp1.jpg

From an entertainment perspective, one of the best MLS games I've seen, if not the best. This game should be looped on ESPN until the Final.

And finally we have a Final that people actually want to see (sorry Portland and Columbus). It has the Rookie of the Year, the Real-MVP, and an in-from Jozy.

The MLS really needs to hype this final over the next week. If this final can't get high ratings, then there's no hope for MLS TV ratings.

So, tickets. That's the big question. The Cup is a league event, not a club one, so they control tickets. It looks like some sections (supporters) get their usual seats in the online ticket manager. The rest of us, including me, a first year season ticket holder, get personalized presale codes for ticketmaster during various periods tomorrow. Mine is at 4pm, someone who's had season tickets longer will go at 2pm, etc. So I'll have tickets in SOME part of the stadium, I just won't know until tomorrow.

I'll make sure I'm in the building, regardless of location. Can't miss this.

Cystm

Stejskal: Atlanta near deal for Johnson

He is from Atlanta. If he signs, he will be sorely missed, but I would sign too if I had a chance to play for the hometown.

Stejskal also discusses the Nagbe/Celtic situation as well. Basically, he isn't likely to go anywhere unless PTFC suddenly goes crazy and intends to spend a ridiculous amount of money to replace him and probably Melano.

Dartastic

Stejskal: Atlanta near deal for Johnson

He is from Atlanta. If he signs, he will be sorely missed, but I would sign too if I had a chance to play for the hometown.

Stejskal also discusses the Nagbe/Celtic situation as well. Basically, he isn't likely to go anywhere unless PTFC suddenly goes crazy and intends to spend a ridiculous amount of money to replace him and probably Melano.
I'm still of the opinion that Melano is out this offseason, and I also don't think Nagbe is going anywhere.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Had the same reaction when seeing it. Thought surely he can't be throwing away his career like that..

Sean Johnson to Atlanta makes sense, Fabian Johnson not so much. Even if Borussia Mönchengladbach is slipping, which it kinda is given it's in 13th place, he should be able to make the jump to a competitive team without a lot of hassle if he wants to. I mean, unless he wants to be the next Giovinco.

Meier

Sean Johnson to Atlanta makes sense, Fabian Johnson not so much. Even if Borussia Mönchengladbach is slipping, which it kinda is given it's in 13th place, he should be able to make the jump to a competitive team without a lot of hassle if he wants to. I mean, unless he wants to be the next Giovinco.

Yeah, if he leaves BMG it could and should be for another Champions League team. I'd love to have him at City.

Cystm

All-Time Record 1.4 Million Viewers Watched Last Night’s Toronto FC-Montreal Impact Game in Canada

This destroys the record which was just set last week in the first leg. It is higher than a lot of the Raptors playoff numbers too (although this had a boost of lots of viewers in Quebec because of Montreal). What a perfect set of exciting matches to introduce new people to MLS too!

3owyp2EjaiLPLYqfio.gif

Back to Chicago Fire news (I know you are all so eager to hear it lol)

We are close to signing Nemanja Nikolic from Legia Warsaw. Last season he scored 28 goals (34 apps) Hopefully, we can also bring in some talent to the midfield. Rumors of Schweini (He subbed on for MUFC this weekend) or whoever else.

There are also reports of Brad Guzan testing the waters of an MLS return as his playing time dries up.

Brad obviously came up in Chicago with Michael Bradley, and with Sean Jean seemingly headed to ATL UTD, I would love to seem him return to Chicago. Interesting to see where he ends up if he does in fact come back to MLS.

Cystm

Transfer Roundup:

Parsed what I feel is of most interest to us.

This one stands out the most:

NYCFC, NYRB, LAG

Rumor

On Nov. 24 NYCFC are one of three MLS teams linked to a potential move for Juventus central midfielder Sami Khedira.

Assume it to be bogus, though.

The rest:

LA Galaxy

According to a tweet by the LA Times' Kevin Baxter on Nov. 24, Sky Sports is linking the LA Galaxy with two central midfielders: Arsenal's Jack Wilshere and Juventus man Sami Khedira.

Rumor

DH.be in Belgium reports on Nov. 25 that LA center back Jelle Van Damme would be interested in a potential offseason loan at his old club Standard Liege.

When asked about these rumors, Jack Wilshere responded to the media "How do bones even work?" where he then proceeded to lay down in agony.

Toronto FC

Departing

Veteran midfielder Will Johnson tells the Toronto Sun on Nov. 20 that he is "going to explore free agency. I might as well ... I have no idea what I'm going to do next year."

Breaking hearts left and right.

Sporting KC

Departing

SKC announced on Nov. 23 the list of 6 players who are out of contract: D Nuno Andre Coelho, D Kevin Ellis, GK Alec Kann, D Chance Myers, M Paulo Nagamura and F Jacob Peterson. The club stated it will extend offers to Ellis and Kann and negotiations are ongoing.

Chance is a good dude and a good personality to have in the locker room. Wonder where he'll end up.

New England Revolution

Departing

The Revolution announced on Nov. 28 that D Darrius Barnes, D Jose Goncalves, M Daigo Kobayashi and M Gershon Koffie are out of contract with the club.

It's no secret that the Revs had one of the worst back lines in the league this season, but Goncalves has been a huge presence for the team on and off the pitch. Wonder if Deigo and Bunbury are pouring one out for the dude.

FC Dallas

Released
FC Dallas announce that D Zach Loyd, D Atiba Harris and F Carlos Ruiz are out of contract.

Loyd is surprising as he has been with the club for so long and played fairly well for them up until this injury plagued season. El Pescadito is timeless, but Dallas is passing on him. Retirement league jokes aside, I would've loved to see him return to Dallas for a full season.

Columbus Crew SC

Released

The club declined contract options for GK Steve Clark, GK Matt Pacifici, D Corey Ashe (D) and M Cedrick Mabwati

That Cup final really got to the guy. He was very solid the entire 2015 season. Hoping he can bounce back somewhere else.

Real Salt Lake

Departing

After 10 years with the club, M Javier Morales announces his departure from RSL in a message on his Twitter account on Nov. 3.

Best Mullet in MLS.

Houston Dynamo

Released

The club declined contract options for D Sebastien Ibeagha, M Rob Lovejoy, M Cristian Maidana, D Raul Rodriguez and M Zach Steinberger. Rodriguez is in discussions to return to the club.

Out-of-Contract

The contract of veteran left back DaMarcus Beasley expires at the end of 2016 and on Oct. 6 he told MLSsoccer.com “my gut feeling is, probably not" when asked about a potential return, claiming the club hadn't been in touch with him about it at the time. He is eligible for MLS free agency.

Maidana was decent during his time in Philly. TBH I did not pay attention at all to Houston this season. Did anyone? Beasley is old.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NYRB's supposedly shot down the Sami Khedira rumor a little while ago. Where the hell would we put him at this point anyway?

Roster moves from the Quakes...

The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that the club has exercised 2017 contract options on six players: goalkeeper David Bingham, defenders Victor Bernardez, Kip Colvey and Andres Imperiale, and midfielders Fatai Alashe and Matheus Silva.

The Earthquakes will not exercise options on nine players, including goalkeeper Bryan Meredith, defender Clarence Goodson, midfielders Marc Pelosi and Tommy Thompson, and forwards Chad Barrett, Henok Goitom, Innocent, Steven Lenhart and Mark Sherrod.

In addition, the following players are under contract for the 2017 season: goalkeeper Andrew Tarbell, defender Shaun Francis, midfielders Cordell Cato, Darwin Ceren, Simon Dawkins, Anibal Godoy and Shea Salinas, and forwards Quincy Amarikwa and Chris Wondolowski.
Sounds like they're renegotiating with Tommy Thompson and Pelosi, but the rest of the 'not exercise options' players are likely gone.

Cystm

Tickets get!

Had my presale just 45ish min ago, got my same usual section, just 7 rows closer. $95 CAD per seat isn't bad, either.

That's phenomenal. Would be cool if you could vlog the experience. Probably as close as I will ever get as a cf97 fan! HAHAHAHA
*Sobs uncontrollably*

That's phenomenal. Would be cool if you could vlog the experience. Probably as close as I will ever get as a cf97 fan! HAHAHAHA
*Sobs uncontrollably*

I will certainly be documenting, that's for sure. Who knows if I'll ever have this opportunity again.

I'm watching the third place match of the women's U-20 World Cup, USA vs. Japan.

It's embarrassing how Japan is just out-possessing and completely dominating us. They literally are maintaining possession in our defensive third. Their technical skills are leaps and bounds above us.

Our only saving grace is that Japan can't shoot for spit.

RBH

CytLYfJWIAAizKT.jpg:large

On a day where Atlanta United added another young talent, the 2017 MLS expansion side could be preparing to make a major splash for a South American playmaker.

According to numerous Argentine media outlets, Atlanta is closing in on signing Paraguay international Miguel Almiron for an MLS-record fee of $13 million from Lanus at the end of 2016.

Almiron, 22, has scored three goals in 34 appearances for Lanus since joining the Argentine club in 2015. The young winger began his professional career back in 2013 with Cerro Porteno, where Almiron also played for the club’s youth academy.

On the international stage, Almiron has already earned seven caps for Paraguay after previously representing the nation’s Under-17 and U-20 national teams.
http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2016/12...lmiron-to-join-atlanta-united-for-13-million/

Teaser video from Atlanta United:

https://twitter.com/ATLUTD/status/805145525385302016

Cyx0xKuXcAAhB_Y.jpg:large

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
And if they're successful with it, it only helps the league. Catch-up will help progress.

Yup. Teams should be chasing younger players as DPs at this point too. There's enough money for it floating around and it'll help attract more and more players if they see you don't need to be an old legend to make bank.

Dartastic

Yup. Teams should be chasing younger players as DPs at this point too. There's enough money for it floating around and it'll help attract more and more players if they see you don't need to be an old legend to make bank.
We uh, tried to do this with Lucas Melano and it was a bust. :(

Blue Lou

It's no real surprise that NY Cosmos are ending.

It'll be interesting to see whether NASL are still in existence this time next week.

hom3land

So excited for today! At noon there is going to be a press conference with the Railhawks owner where he's going to announce a rebrand, a goal to join mls, and plans to build a 20k seat stadium in downtown raleigh. No matter what happens, to think a year ago we had no owner and were being run by a corrupt Brazilian company. We have come a long way!

Meier

Villa is a fantastic choice either way. He is an amazing player and gives 100% every minute of every game. Hope NYC extends his contract.. he is a great representative of MLS.

RBH

vbo8In8.jpg

Atlanta United is serious about spending money ahead of its inaugural season.

I'm told the transfer fee for 22-year-old Young Designated Player and Paraguayan midfielder Miguel Almirón was $8.5 million (as was previously reported by FourFourTwo) -- and that Atlanta is still on track to buy Mexican star Andrés Guardado from PSV Eindhoven in January.

Then there's coach Tata Martino, who sources say is the second-highest paid coach in MLS behind NYCFC’s Patrick Vieira. An Atlanta source says, though, that while the club appreciates the ambition of owner Arthur Blank, the franchise isn’t spending beyond its means—that this is all in line with revenues from sponsorships and ticket sales.

Atlanta wants to be the next Seattle, or even better, and that includes competing for the playoffs in its first season.

Atlanta currently has 10 players signed ahead of next week's MLS expansion draft: Almirón; another Young DP in 22-year-old Argentine winger Hector Villalba; Trinidad & Tobago and Premier League veteran Kenwyne Jones; U.S. youth internationals Andrew Carleton, Brandon Vazquez and Chris Goslin; midfielders Junior Burgos, Chris McCann and Jeffrey Otoo; and its first signing, goalkeeper Alexander Tambakis.
http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/sto...iron-andres-guardado-tata-arthur-blank-120616

Top Bottom