• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

If the Sounders weren't in the final this weekend, I'd be really excited for next season already, with the new teams and everything, I think it'll be a good one. I've barely even really thought about it until these posts about ATL though. Still, going to be good!

Blue Lou

I believe you Americans refer to this as "savage".

CzBxSejXUAAMmDO.jpg

- Gianni Infantino proposes 48-team, 16-group World Cup format <- nooooope

- Insider Notes: MLS to significantly increase TAM spread across the league
In the next week, MLS is expected to announce an $8.8 million increase in Targeted Allocation Money over what had been previously earmarked for 2017. That’s an increase of $400,000 per team to $1.2 million per team of TAM for next season.

TAM is a strategic investment that helps teams add or retain players that will make an immediate impact on the field while allowing teams to spend outside of the modest $3.6 million salary budget. It was designed to help teams attract more top talent down the roster outside of the allotted three Designated Player spots.

Also:
Arena said in a conversation Tuesday night that he had good meetings with five U.S. players in Germany during his trip there: Christian Pulisic, Fabian Johnson, John Brooks, Timmy Chandler and Bobby Wood.

For anyone thinking Arena might pick fewer German-American players, he clearly has interest in Johnson, Brooks and Chandler. Also, look for an announcement on Arena’s U.S. coaching staff sometime in the next week. It will likely not include Tab Ramos, who will stay on as the U.S. Under-20 coach and youth technical director. The staff will most likely be comprised of assistants Arena had last season with the LA Galaxy. Those assistants were Pat Noonan, Kenny Arena (his son) and goalkeeper coach Matt Reis.

zroid

Banned
proposal: if TFC wins MLS Cup then we change the name of the thread to Canadian Soccer for a month
mostly joking... mostly

It's kinda shitty for the players after that hardball negotiation in 2015 between the players union and the league on the CBA. The league's position being that they couldn't make some concessions on salary, whereas now they're saying "hey, here's even more money for high end players." It'll help the league overall, but I feel for the guys on the lower end of the salary scale that aren't making that much.

It's kinda shitty for the players after that hardball negotiation in 2015 between the players union and the league on the CBA. The league's position being that they couldn't make some concessions on salary, whereas now they're saying "hey, here's even more money for high end players." It'll help the league overall, but I feel for the guys on the lower end of the salary scale that aren't making that much.

The salary floor keeps rising, too, so everyone's doing better under the new CBA.

But this will be awesome for raising the quality of the league. Night and day compared to 10 years ago, even maybe 5 or 6.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I think this is going to be a sticking point in the next negotiation. Maybe they'll get a lower floor on free agency as a result. 5 years in the league seems fair.

Any score predictions for MLS Cup?
proposal: if TFC wins MLS Cup then we change the name of the thread to Canadian Soccer for a month
mostly joking... mostly
We can do a week or something. In general, if you folks want snappy thread title changes, just let me know and I'll use the entertaining ones.

zroid

Banned
against a team significantly weaker than yours

there's only so much choking a Toronto sports team can comeback from in the span of a month
ah, the ol' "we were supposed to lose anyway" deflection. i expected more arrogance from you!

3-1 Toronto, with Seattle scoring first (Morris). Tied at half, maybe after a Giovinco goal. Jozy with a goal at about 70', and then Ricketts with the nail at 83'.

zroid

Banned
1-0 Toronto, nobody can deal with the weather conditions. Jozy scores in the 85th minute off the keeper who lost his balance in the snow

Askani

Oh...predictions? One of the sports ball teams will sports more than the other team sportses. In doing so, the former will kick a higher number of goal points and be the sports ball winner.

2-1 Toronto.

- ESPNFC: MLS will consider playoff format changes for 2017 season
MLS will consider changing its playoff format in 2017, with regular season record serving as the first tiebreaker in the conference semis and finals among the possible tweaks, the league's vice president of competition told ESPN FC on Thursday.

"I think we believe that the format we have now works, but we're always open to improving as much as we possibly can to make it exciting for fans and fair for our clubs," MLS VP Jeff Agoos said in a phone interview three days before Toronto FC and the Seattle Sounders meet in the MLS Cup final.

imBask

Banned
if they want to include regular season performances in the playoffs, why not just have 2 out of 3s with home advantage instead of 2 games...

Top Bottom