• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

RBH

Sean Johnson heading to NYCFC?

Atlanta United's aggressive steps toward building a first-year MLS powerhouse continue, with U.S. national team goalkeeper Brad Guzan in discussions to join the 2017 expansion team.

ESPN analyst Taylor Twellman was the first to identify the link, with a tweet Friday stating a Guzan to Atlanta deal was happening. Sources tell Goal USA that Guzan is in negotiations with Atlanta, and a deal is in the works, but no agreement has been reached as of late Friday.

Guzan would not join the club as a designated player but would be signed using targeted allocation money, which could bring the veteran's salary up to as much as $1 million a season.

Though the 32-year-old could still choose to pass on a deal, one sign that Atlanta is confident in landing Guzan is another move the club has made at the goalkeeper position. Sources tell Goal USA that United is set to trade newly acquired goalkeeper Sean Johnson to New York City FC in advance of Guzan's anticipated arrival.

Johnson, an Atlanta native, was acquired by United from the Chicago Fire last month in a deal that has yet to be publicly announced because of the league's current transaction freeze, which will be lifted Sunday, the day after the MLS Cup final.

Atlanta already has one goalkeeper on its roster: Greek-American shot-stopper Alexander Tambakis, who was the first player signed by the club back in January. The 24-year-old Panathinaikos product spent the past year on loan with USL side Charleston.

Atlanta United has been busy building what looks to be a formidable first-year club, having recently announced the high-priced signing of Paraguayan playmaker Miguel Almiron to go with the earlier acquisitions of Trinidad and Tobago striker Kenwyne Jones and Argentine forward Hector Villalba.
http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/...jfdumqw?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Azuran

Banned
God losing like that fucking hurts more than I thought. Honestly, Seattle scoring a 120th minute goal would have have hurt a lot less considering it would have happened during the actual game by their own merits. Seeing one of our own players miss a shot like that and lose us the cup especially when Frei didn't have to do anything will be hard to swallow for a long time.

Can't believe Toronto couldn't score.

Seattle didn't even defend that good. Just some poor decision making in the final third and frustration that came after made it worst.

Oh well, This isn't about deserving.

People are gonna dump on Bradley for that penalty because everyone loves to give him shit. But he played fantastic.
I actually agree. Defended well and had some good passes.

zroid

Banned
People are gonna dump on Bradley for that penalty because everyone loves to give him shit. But he played fantastic from 1 to 120.

Realeza

Banned
God losing like that fucking hurts more than I thought. Honestly, Seattle scoring a 120th minute goal would have have hurt a lot less considering it would have happened during the actual game by their own merits. Seeing one of our own players miss a shot like that and lose us the cup especially when Frei didn't have to do anything will be hard to swallow for a long time.

Toronto would have gotten wrecked at CenturyLink Field.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
People are gonna dump on Bradley for that penalty because everyone loves to give him shit. But he played fantastic from 1 to 120.

He had a fantastic game. Had Jozy, Gio, Ricketts or anyone else found the back of the net he'd be a hero. I can only hope Bradley plays like that more going forward, especially for the US.

I dunno about Frei not doing anything, that save he made on the Jozy header in extra time was fantastic. I thought for sure that was going in.

Realeza

Banned
Yeah so? What's your point?

I stated that I rather lose during the actual game than penalties so I don't know what hypotheticals have to do with anything.

You are playing at an away stadium. Not scoring doesn't make you the lesser team. The Sounders defended almost flawlessly. What can you say about Torres, Frei, Marshall, Mears, Alonso, etc.?

Why Toronto didn't score as many goals as they did with ease against NYFC and Montreal? Because they finally were playing a team that can be as good or better than them.

Cystm

Stephan Frei literally saved MLS Cup for Seattle. Also, Vanney subbing out Giovinco really set them back during PK's. Bradley fucked them over the most after an otherwise stellar performance during regulation tho.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Stephan Frei literally saved MLS Cup for Seattle. Also, Vanney subbing out Giovinco really set them back during PK's. Bradley fucked them over the most after an otherwise stellar performance during regulation tho.

Ricketts should have been subbed in at the half, I don't think Seattle could have handled Gio, Jozy, and Ricketts all at once.

You are playing at an away stadium. Not scoring doesn't make you the lesser team. The Sounders defended almost flawlessly. What can you say about Torres, Frei, Marshall, Mears, Alonso, etc.?

Why Toronto didn't score as many goals as they did with ease against NYFC and Montreal? Because they finally were playing a team that can be as good or better than them.

It was more because they couldn't finish for shit. Toronto had plenty of chances and plenty of shots on goal. Them losing is pretty much on their finishing, not that Seattle didn't play a good game.

Azuran

Banned

Where did I state Seattle was the lesser team? We didn't score either so it's not like I'm praising TFC for playing "better" to make myself feel better about this loss. Hell, Frei stopping the penalty instead of Morrow straight up missing would have hurt less.

zroid

Banned
Apparently Giovinco asked to come off, according to Vanney. Must have been struggling with something.

It seemed like he was angry at the coaches but I guess he was just frustrated with himself there.

Realeza

Banned
Where did I state Seattle was the lesser team? We didn't score either so it's not like I'm praising TFC for playing "better" to make myself feel better about this loss. Hell, Frei stopping the penalty instead of Morrow straight up missing would have hurt less.

Well you are making it sound that the Sounders won by luck and not by merit. My counter argument is that an amazingly well placed defense is what gave them the cup.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Apparently Giovinco asked to come off, according to Vanney. Must have been struggling with something.

It seemed like he was angry at the coaches but I guess he was just frustrated with himself there.

I mean he hasn't exactly been playing up to his usual standards since the NYCFC game, so maybe there is something he was just trying to play through.

Azuran

Banned
Well you are making it sound that the Sounders won by luck and not by merit. My counter argument is that an amazingly well placed defense is what gave them the cup.

TFC didn't let Seattle have a single shot on goal so it's not like we played a different game. We also had a great defense in this match that deserve to win the cup just as much. Anyways, at the end of the day it was a 120-minute draw that got decided on the worst way possible.

I'm give Seattle a lot of credit for completely shutting down a team that was on an offensive tear. I just wish it hadn't come down to penalties, that's all.

Either way, I get to be salty as fuck right now because we just lost a final.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Apparently Gio asked to be subbed off because he couldn't move. Not sure how literal that is, but it's a little worrying considering the circumstances.

zroid

Banned
Sounders had 0.10 expected goals. Statistically that has to be one of the most impotent offensive performances in MLS history. Or, conversely, one of the most dominant defensive performances -- by TFC.

Moral victory, I guess.

Clydefrog

hey platy, i guess i win based on THE ALPHABET!

98ExpzS.png

Azuran

Banned
Sounders had 0.10 expected goals. Statistically that has to be one of the most impotent offensive performances in MLS history. Or, conversely, one of the most dominant defensive performances -- by TFC.

Moral victory, I guess.

Moral victory was beating both the Impact and Whitecaps at important games and winning two more trophies than them after seeing all of those fans being happy tonight.

zroid

Banned
Moral victory was beating both the Impact and Whitecaps at important games and winning two more trophies than them after seeing all of those fans being happy tonight.

True. Can't take away that ECF, and specifically the 2nd leg which is probably going to go down as the most dramatic and entertaining game in MLS playoff history. Even if we had managed to win the penalty kicks, that would definitely have still been the most iconic moment of the season for us.

True. Can't take away that ECF, and specifically the 2nd leg which is probably going to go down as the most dramatic and entertaining game in MLS playoff history. Even if we had managed to win the penalty kicks, that would definitely have still been the most iconic moment of the season for us.

Yeah, that game was insane. Best game I've ever been to.

What a strange match. TFC were the better team by far but Seattle did exactly what they knew they had to do. I can't really fault them for it.

RBH

Atlanta's been making all the right moves from the look of it. Next season is going to be fun.
It's really interesting to look at the frenetic pace at which Atlanta is making these transactions............and then you almost forget that there's another expansion team in Minnesota.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It's really interesting to look at the frenetic pace at which Atlanta is making these transactions............and then you almost forget that there's another expansion team in Minnesota.

I think they've only announced the signing of two players. Meanwhile Atlanta keeps signing people.

I'm hoping one of new teams takes Bobby Boswell away from us.

Top Bottom