• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

KingGondo

Banned
USL Update:

OKC Energy won its 5th straight on Saturday to move back into first place in the West. First team in the West to clinch a playoff spot. Now the goal is to get home field (top 4) or a first-round bye (top 2).

NERULUOCKBJSWRF.20150830125303.jpg

Also had a sellout. Looks like we're finally building some nice local support.

East update: Rochester and Louisville continue to dominate.
MJDJORRAHWLBJXS.20150831000136.jpg

xbhaskarx

NASL vs US Soccer...

NASL cries foul of US Soccer Federation’s new rules
The North American Soccer League, a Division II men’s league that operates in smaller US markets, is crying foul at proposed rules it believes will block its attempts to advance to Division I status. MLS is the sole Division I men’s league in the US.

Under the proposed changes, to qualify for Division I a league would need 16 teams, up from 12 under 2014 rules, according to NASL. It would also have to meet a requirement that 75 per cent of its teams be based in cities with a population of more than 2m people, up from 1m. It adds that a requirement for all team stadiums to meet a minimum 15,000-seat capacity for the entire league to qualify for Division I is “highly unreasonable”.

“Doubling the population criteria now is an anti-competitive bait and switch, with the purpose of entrenching MLS’s monopoly position at the very time when the NASL is threatening to become a significant competitor,” Jeffrey Kessler, an antitrust and sports attorney representing NASL, wrote in a letter to Sunil Gulati, head of US Soccer, and seen by the Financial Times.

NASL, which in its current form began in 2011, applied for Division I status earlier this year but its application was put on hold.

lol

KingGondo

Banned
There aren't enough :lols in the world for this. If anything USL is going to overtake them.
Damn right. USL won every USOC game against NASL this year.

USL is being aggressive as hell expanding into new markets too. Cincy, Rio Grande Valley and Lehigh Valley are all joining in 2016.

xbhaskarx

American Exports: Former Colorado Rapids defender Shane O'Neill signs with Royal Mouscron-Péruwelz

Erstwhile Colorado Rapids defender Shane O'Neill has moved for the second time in a month, officially joining Jupiler Pro League side Royal Mouscron-Péruwelz from Apollon Limassol on Monday afternoon.

The United States Under-23 international, currently in Manchester to prepare for Thursday's friendly against England in nearby Preston, quickly jetted into Belgium on Sunday to sign a two-year contract. O'Neill did not make an appearance for Cypriot bronze medalists Limassol, who had only lured him from MLS on Aug. 1.

The Stade Le Canonnier outfit currently stands bottom of the Jupiler League through six rounds, having allowed a next-to-worst total of 12 goals. While O'Neill can operate in either central defense or defensive midfield, new boss Čedomir Janevski intends to use the American on the backline.

Obviously they could use defensive help, hopefully he can become a regular starter for them...

xbhaskarx

So how close are we to holding on to 21k average attendance for the year?

Right now the average is 21.4k, so 21k is a foregone conclusion, the question is how far above that it will go. Going into this past week, we needed to average 20.2k over the remaining games to average 21k for the season, and last week's average was over 23.5k. Seattle has more full stadium games scheduled, there were a fair number of big signings over the summer (the most important for attendance purposes probably being Gio in LA and Drogba in Montreal), and the playoff races are even tighter than they usually are...

Not sure where other leagues will be, but MLS could take quite a big jump up this list.
Last season:

6.Liga MX 21,323
7.Argentine Primera División 21,321
8.Ligue 1 21,155
9.Eredivisie 19,557
10. MLS 19,149

Also there will almost certainly be no teams below 15k... the numbers as of mid-August:
It's also looking like there won't be a single game with attendance below 10k.

The new numbers after this weekend:
15,189 to average 20,000
19,605 to average 21,000
21,812 to average 21,500
24,020 to average 22,000

No way it's 22k, but it might be closer to 22k than to 21.5k...

GRW810

USL Update:

OKC Energy won its 5th straight on Saturday to move back into first place in the West. First team in the West to clinch a playoff spot. Now the goal is to get home field (top 4) or a first-round bye (top 2).

NERULUOCKBJSWRF.20150830125303.jpg

Also had a sellout. Looks like we're finally building some nice local support.

East update: Rochester and Louisville continue to dominate.
MJDJORRAHWLBJXS.20150831000136.jpg
Good to see RBNY II doing so well. There's a talented crop of youngsters in that team.

Yea, I was wondering why he got tazed in the first place. Dude probably tried to start a fight.

according to reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/3iws5k/nycfc_fan_tased_in_the_supporters_section_at/

[–]New York City FCgjanovsky[🍰] 115 points 2 days ago*
I was at the game. Two guys were getting into a fight and there were about a dozen idiots running their mouths. The police ran in to break up the fight and the crowd forming around it. The guy had it coming. The best part was when this one idiot was trying to run over to the fight and yelling at the police. After being told 3-4 times to back away and the guy not listening, the officer took out his baton. That got the guy backing up real quick.

- NY Times: Strict Enforcement of FIFA Rules Sidelines Young Players Abroad (on Ben Lederman at Barcelona)

Update from Sam Borden:
After publication today, I heard from the Ledermans again. And it sounds like while they consider their legal options (inc. CAS), Ben is going to join a residency program in Florida so he can play. Ben Lederman may well end up being the first American to play for Barca but, for the time being, it sounds like he's heading to Florida.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He should have picked a 2nd tier club to get lots of playing time.

He should have gone to Bolton or something, yea. If this year's Sunderland team is anything like they were last year he's going to get one chance and then ride the bench the rest of the season. It's gonna be Julian Green all over again.

Dartastic

What are you guys doing for fantasy this week? Basically my entire team is either out for international duty or isn't playing. I was thinking of just taking the big L this week and only making two or three transfers, tops. I don't want to have to slowly piece my team back together after this week.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What are you guys doing for fantasy this week? Basically my entire team is either out for international duty or isn't playing. I was thinking of just taking the big L this week and only making two or three transfers, tops. I don't want to have to slowly piece my team back together after this week.

I've got a team to field, but I doubt many of them will see any playing time. All my big point getters are either on break or away on international duty though. I'm just gonna take that big L and hope I don't fall too many spots.

I've got a team to field, but I doubt many of them will see any playing time. All my big point getters are either on break or away on international duty though. I'm just gonna take that big L and hope I don't fall too many spots.

There's unlimited transfers this week.

Dartastic

There's unlimited transfer, but you only get the regular amount next week to fix your rosters back
Exactly. That's why I'm thinking of only doing 3 tops. I don't want to completely screw my team because this week has a ton of international callups and very few games.

The warning's more for people who are going to try to chase points this week and end up screwed trying to fix the roster in later weeks

Yeah, I made four changes (keeping Keane, Kamara, and Giovinco) but only two of them are most likely getting changed next week.

You get the wildcard this week but there's not much to pick from for the future.

Top Bottom