• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Coach

Sorry but there is no way MLS is ever putting a team in a city that is #50 in TV markets (not even including Canada), #43 in metropolitan area population (not counting Canada), and doesn't have a any team in NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL.

MLS could expand to 40 teams and they still wouldn't be interested in Louisville...

Louisville is pretty much surrounded by cities that are better candidates (in addition to Columbus): St Louis, Indy, Nashville, Charlotte...

I will have to agree that Louisville getting to MLS is unlikely. But you can't blame ownership for saying that.

The city of Louisville wants a major league professional team. Many thought when the Yum Center was built that NBA would be most likely, but the University of Louisville's contract agreement with the arena pretty much killed that.

LCFC is doing just about everything right. They are getting some national attention after the friendly with Orlando. It has a great following and is 2nd in the USL for attendance.

If they can agree on a stadium site (probably west side of the city as that is an area that they want to develop) would be the next step for the club.

Osorio

How do they guarantee that tickets sold by each federation are sold to fans of that team? Do I have to send in a letter writing about how much I love USMNT along with a picture of me? :p

Probably by selling through supporter's groups and newsletter mailing lists first.

Hopefully it's not just "let's look at their last name to decide".

ZZMitch

Probably by selling through supporter's groups and newsletter mailing lists first.

Hopefully it's not just "let's look at their last name to decide".

Yeah I just looked at the article and they mentioned something about supporters groups.

For the second part, yeah. That wouldn't even work really anyway. From my experience seeing games live a significant portion of US fans are Hispanic.

xbhaskarx

Armchair Analyst: On development, the age of youth & 24 Under 24

"Doesn't this mean that MLS is giving fewer minutes to truly young players, and failing to develop the best of our region's youth?"
By the numbers: No.

Nicholas Murray, the associate director of communications for USL, did some digging through WhoScored databases yesterday and turned up some illustrative results when comparing MLS to the top leagues in the world. I'm just going to copy + paste his email here:
  • Major League Soccer, 2015 – 38 players under the age of 21, eight currently with more than 1,000 minutes of action, three more with more than 900, and therefore a chance to reach plateau.
  • Premier League, 2014-15 – 43 players under the age of 21, seven with more than 1,000 minutes of action.
  • La Liga, 2014-15 – 41 players under the age of 21, eight with more than 1,000 minutes of action.
  • Bundesliga, 2014-15 – 45 players under the age of 21, 10 with more than 1,000 minutes of action.
  • Serie A, 2014-15 – 65 players under the age of 21, eight with more than 1,000 minutes of action.
Marky Delgado, Eric Ayuk and Zach Pfeffer are the three 20-and-unders who are over 900 but under 1000. Delgado will likely cross the threshhold this weekeend, while Ayuk may take a week or two. Pfeffer's a bigger question mark due to injury and the fact that he seems to have fallen down the pecking order a bit.

And bear in mind that MLS plays fewer regular season games than three of the four "big" leagues, so hitting the 1000-minute mark is marginally more difficult.

So barring injury, this season in MLS is likely to have as many 20-and-under regulars as the Bundesliga, and more than the Premier League, La Liga or Serie A. Even with the frustrations and inefficiencies inherent to the current youth development system, it's hard to look at that and not see real progress.

But if you want the above highlighted, underlined and bolded, here are some more numbers provided by Mr. Murray:
  • United Soccer League, 2015 – Currently 128 players under the age of 21, 27 with more than 1,000 minutes of action, with another nine above 900 minutes and the potential to reach the threshold.
The system is, in other words, changing for the better. Just look at someone like Anatole Abang, the 18-year-old RBNY striker who won't hit 1000 minutes in MLS, but used his USL minutes to propel him into what is still a significant role for the the first team. Justen Glad has taken some lumps on the back line for RSL, but he's given a bunch as well for both the first team and Real Monarchs. Marco Bustos and Kianz Froese are regulars for Whitecaps 2, and both should expect to see significant MLS minutes next season.

Even with all this we're not ending the era of 22- and 23-year-old prospects. As long as college is a viable option – and if you think it's not, I'd like to point out how quickly guys like Cyle Larin, Matt Polster, Fatai Alashe, Amadou Dia and Miguel Aguilar have adjusted – MLS will have its share of "older" diamonds in the rough.

Blue Lou

I'm wondering whether it's mostly because Traffic Sports had the rights to the tournament and CONCACAF recently split from them (I'm presuming CONCACAF will pair up with the MLS/SUM Marketing company).

The arrests don't help, of course.

It just looks so... petty. We know it was a cash-grab by CONMEBOL but it looks even more suspect if they won't hold a pre-arranged competition there on the basis that several people were arrested/charged/indicted for making bribe arrangements.

UPDATE: Colombia's Football Federation has said that officially the competition is still being held in USA.
http://www.larepublica.ec/blog/deportes/2015/08/28/luis-chiriboga-copa-america-centenario-eeuu/

Herzog Names 24-Player Roster for Final Camp Ahead of Olympic Qualifying
The camp will run in Manchester, England, from Aug. 30-Sept. 8 and will feature friendlies against England on Sept. 3 at Deepdale Stadium in Preston, and Qatar on Sept. 8 at Gigg Lane in Bury.

Roster By Position:
GOALKEEPERS (3): Cody Cropper (MK Dons; Maple Grove, Minn.), Ethan Horvath (Molde; Highlands Ranch, Colo.), Zack Steffen (Freiburg; Downington, Pa.).

DEFENDERS (8): Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur; Westcliff on Sea, England), Matt Miazga (New York Red Bulls; Clifton, N.J.), Eric Miller (Montreal Impact; Woodbury, Minn.), Boyd Okwuonu (Real Salt Lake; Edmund, Okla.), Shane O’Neill (Apollon Limassol; Boulder, Colo.), William Packwood (Unattached; Concord, Mass.), Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids; Brighton, Colo.), Oscar Sorto (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif).

MIDFIELDERS (8): Gboly Ariyibi (Chesterfield; Arlington County, Va.), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake; Garden Grove, Calif.), Emerson Hyndman (Fulham; Dallas, Tex.), Benji Joya (Club Necaxa; San Jose, Calif.), Marc Pelosi (San Jose Earthquakes; Sunnyvale, Calif.), Matt Polster (Chicago Fire; Milwaukee, Wisc.), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew; Gahanna, Ohio), Gedion Zelalem (Rangers; Bethesda, Md.).

FORWARDS (5): Alonso Hernandez (C.D. Juarez; El Paso, Texas), Jerome Kiesewetter (VfB Stuttgart; Berlin, Germany), Mario Rodriguez (Borussia Mönchengladbach; North Hollywood, Calif.), Rubio Rubin (Utrecht; Beaverton, Ore.), Maki Tall (Scion; Washington, D.C.).

Lletget is too old for the Olympic Roster, and Galarcep said that Morris is penciled in as a starter for the U23 team, but he's staying at Stanford for the start of school and their season.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That explains Bradley staying with Toronto. He totally deserves it after the way he's been playing.

It also completely fucks my fantasy team what with everyone on break.

Yup: "Men's teams are restricted to under-23 players (born on or after 1 January 1993)"

That's aside from the 3 overage players for the actual tournament, of course.

Any idea as to who those overage players might be? That team looks great as it is. I imagine those spots would go to guys who play out wide though.

That explains Bradley staying with Toronto. He totally deserves it after the way he's been playing.

It also completely fucks my fantasy team what with everyone on break.

Apparently that's the only source confirming so far, so maybe not? We'll find out tomorrow though I think

Any idea as to who those overage players might be? That team looks great as it is. I imagine those spots would go to guys who play out wide though.
I don't think anyone knows yet - it depends how well the team is coming together and where the needs are. A lot of teams go with keepers and defenders, and looking at this roster outside back is certainly a need.

xbhaskarx

U-20 roster...
The US Under-20 national team officially kicked off its newest cycle on Friday, with head coach Tab Ramos naming a 23-man roster that will compete at next month’s Stevan Vilotic-Cele Tournament in Serbia.

Sixteen of the 23 players called by Ramos are affiliated with MLS clubs, with eight players signed to MLS contracts, one player contracted to an MLS club’s USL side and seven more in MLS academies.

FULL US UNDER-20 ROSTER

GOALKEEPERS (2): Christian Herrera (Real Monarchs; Las Cruces, N.M.), Justin Vom Steeg (Santa Barbara; Santa Barbara, Calif.)

DEFENDERS (8): Kyle Duncan (New York Red Bulls; Brooklyn, N.Y.), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake; Tucson, Ariz.), Nicholas Hinds, Andrew Lombard (Northeastern; Montclair, N.J.), Christian Onalfo (LA Galaxy; Redondo Beach, Calif.), Erik Palmer-Brown (Sporting KC; Lee’s Summit, Mo.), Pablo Pelaez, Mauricio Pineda (Chicago Fire; Bolingbrook, Ill.),

MIDFIELDERS (8): Amir Bashti (Stanford; Cupertino, Calif.), Collin Fernandez ( Chicago Fire, Downers Grove, Ill.), Cameron Lindley (Chicago Fire; Carmel, Ind.), Abuchi Obinwa (Hannover 96; Orlando, Fla.), Emmanuel Sabbi (Chicago Magic PSG; Libertyville, Ill.), Martin Salas (North Carolina; Dallas, Texas), Kyle Scott (Chelsea; Winterbourne, Bristol), Ben Swanson (Columbus Crew SC; Grove City, Ohio)

FORWARDS (5): Coy Craft (FC Dallas; Frisco, Texas), Christian Lucatero (Houston Dynamo; Pasadena, Texas), Victor Mansaray (Seattle Sounders FC; Des Moines, Wash.), Nebojsa Popovic (Saint Louis FC; Loznica, Serbia), Sebastian Saucedo (Real Salt Lake; Casa Grande, Ariz.)

xbhaskarx

What the fuck...

New disaster movie "Eden" imagines fictionalized USMNT marooned and duking it out on a desert island
Imagine a world [movie trailer voice] in which the USMNT has to duke it out on the field … among themselves. And that field is a literal field on a deserted island, because they’ve crash-landed there, and have now got to survive a kind of Lost meets Lord of the Flies test of will to live.

Such is the world of Eden, a forthcoming new movie, due out September 18, whose trailer just dropped. No, it doesn’t feature actual, real life USMNT players; but yes, it does feature a fictionalized national team marooned after a plane crash.

Why does the world need another humans-going-feral-on-an-island tale? Why does the world need yet another movie titled Eden, when there is this long list of other ones on IMDB already? Why is this one about North American soccer? I’m sure you have a lot of questions. So do we.

But let’s ignore the many whys about this and think about the what-ifs. What if our current USMNT roster got dumped somewhere like this? Who would be first to go? Who’d wind up the leader? Who would just cry a lot?

trailer

Cystm

doBSXyN.gif

Chandler subbed off injured in his game this morning. Twisted knee.
Remember when the Quakes were both terrible and pretty much unwatchable? 0W1D8L in all competitions from July 1 to August 8... that was less than a month ago.
Nope, I don't remember that at all. Kinda ridiculous that the Quakes have picked up 12pts of their 38 total in the last four matches.
Soft red card.
Last man and he grabbed him from behind. Still, I wouldn't have been surprised to just see a yellow there.

Top Bottom