• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The warning's more for people who are going to try to chase points this week and end up screwed trying to fix the roster in later weeks

My changes just consisted of getting rid of people who weren't getting playing time for those who were, making my backline a little cheaper, getting a second goalie that would see the field, and fixing up my striker situation. I'm still going to be down three guys next week due to international duty, but going forward my team is going to be a lot stronger than it used to be.

The only problem I'm going to have moving forward is figuring out which 3 strikers to start each week. I've got BWP, Jozy, Lairn and Amarikwa. I got a legit problem going forward.

Tidbits from USMNT practice today:
- Guzan is the #1 keeper for the near future, so it sounds like he'll get the start against Mexico in a month barring an injury.
- Klinsman stated that Beasley and F. Johnson are his first choice fullbacks, though since neither is available here, it'll be Garza or Ream at left back and Orozco or Cameron at right back against Peru.
- Centerbacks are Brooks, Besler, Alvarado, and Gonzalez. Most likely the former two are competing for LCB and the latter two are choices at RCB.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Spector has been added to the roster, so he's an option across the backline, too.

Cystm

American Indi Cowie becomes first female to pull off three revolution juggle trick

1k6kQdO.gif

HD at link.

x02pVQv.png

Glenn Crooks ‏@GlennCrooks 38m38 minutes ago Harrison, NY
'@JasonKreis after training today re:post-match comments "After we had the 2nd goal scored on us, I felt a lot of guys quit" @Dylan_Butler

Glenn Crooks ‏@GlennCrooks 36m36 minutes ago Harrison, NY
Kreis "That's 2 matches in a row there's been a element of quit in our group-it's unacceptable to me,to this club and to the fans" @tkolker

Glenn Crooks ‏@GlennCrooks 31m31 minutes ago Harrison, NY
Kreis "You're down 2-1,is there a real caring about scoring another goal-what I saw was a bunch of guys that basically stopped" @SiriusXMFC

Glenn Crooks ‏@GlennCrooks 28m28 minutes ago Harrison, NY
Kreis "I spoke loudly about the thoughts I cared about and I don't apologize-that's how I truly felt" @tkolker @Dylan_Butler @joetolleson

delicious

The US-England U23 match starts in a few minutes.

Lineup: Cropper, Okwuonu, O'Neill, Miazaga, Miller, Trapp, Pelosi, Hyndman, Rodriguez, Hernandez, Kieswetter

Blue Lou

Multiple American youth soccer clubs filed official complaints with the FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber this week, seeking unpaid training compensation and solidarity, according to documents obtained by SI.com. Crossfire Premier, Dallas Texans SC and Sockers FC Chicago are opening proceedings to claim a combined $480,500, emanating from transfers involving U.S. men's national team regulars DeAndre Yedlin, Clint Dempsey and Michael Bradley.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...ion-us-soccer-dempsey-bradley-yedlin-fifa-drc

Arials

The US-England U23 match starts in a few minutes.

Lineup: Cropper, Okwuonu, O'Neill, Miazaga, Miller, Trapp, Pelosi, Hyndman, Rodriguez, Hernandez, Kieswetter

This finished England U21 1-0 US U23. England were pretty dominant throughout.

The England starting XI was: Pickford, Gomez, Chambers, Dier, Targett, Ward-Prowse, Loftus-Cheek, Ibe, Alli, Redmond, Woodrow

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Of course. Winning heals most wounds.

I still think we have to do at least as well as we did last season. If we can win the shield or make the MLS Cup final I think most of the fans will forgive Curtis and Red Bull. If we get knocked out in the first round of the play-offs, without getting the sheild, we're gonna start seeing that preseason anger all over again.

xbhaskarx

If you’ve ever criticized Jurgen Klinsmann or his USMNT, you don’t understand soccer

Except in his mind, his work, no matter the results — the program’s worst Gold Cup finish in 12 years be damned — Klinsmann remains above judgment and criticism as he shuns responsibility and blame, scapegoating anyone and everyone around him. In his 48 months in charge of the USMNT, the following groups or individuals have been at fault for his side’s shortcomings at various times: American soccer’s youth development setup, his own players, Major League Soccer, referees, and now, the fans.

Complete list of people not once responsible for the USMNT’s shortcomings over the past 48 months: Jurgen Klinsmann.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

He realizes Jozy was coming off the bench in his last two games with Toronto due to his play not being up to snuff right?

He's not entirely wrong about our youth setup not being up to snuff, that's part of why we brought him in, but if Bob Bradly could get a big result with the Men's team, beating Spain at their height, then there's no reason he can't with what could arguably be a more talented squad. A lot of our losses since the World Cup could have been avoided and the Gold Cup could have gone better if he had played a more experienced central pair in the back line, among other issues.

xbhaskarx

He's not entirely wrong about our youth setup not being up to snuff

What is "snuff"? Of course nothing is "up to snuff"... yet it's all far better than it was at any point in the past. What was the youth setup like in 2002 when MLS had contracted to 10 teams and there were no MLS development academies or homegrown players or USL affiliations? Did Arena complain about that when they lost to Germany?

When you lose to a Caribbean nation on US soil for the first time since 1967 how is it the fault of any other part of the American soccer structure when there wasn't even a top level professional league back in 67, the one from 68-84 was pretty much a joke for player development, and there was no league again from 84-96, and the league was barely surviving from 96-2007?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What is "snuff"? Of course nothing is "up to snuff"... yet it's all far better than it was at any point in the past. What was the youth setup like in 2002 when MLS had contracted to 10 teams and there were no MLS academies or homegrown players or USL affiliations?

When you lose to a Caribbean nation on US soil for the first time since 1967 how is it the fault of any other part of the American soccer structure when there wasn't even a top level professional league back in 67, and again from 84-96?

What I'm saying is it's not where we want it to be yet and you know that. Is it better than before? Yes. Is it as good as others are? Not yet. All I said was he has a point that it can be better, which he does. I'm agreeing with you dude, just because I'm not 100% in lock-step, and can admit he might have a point, doesn't mean I disagree with you.

xbhaskarx

But it's not really a "point" it's an excuse. Yet another way to shift the blame anywhere but on himself.

Again, imagine Arena blaming that when the US lost to Germany, it would be ridiculous. And that was against one of the best countries in the world, in the round of 16 at the World Cup. Not against CONCACAF minnows that barely have any money or soccer infrastructure relative to the US. But because Klinsmann is a wise European he gets away with it.

Cystm

What I'm saying is it's not where we want it to be yet and you know that. Is it better than before? Yes. Is it as good as others are? Not yet. All I said was he has a point that it can be better, which he does. I'm agreeing with you dude, just because I'm not 100% in lock-step, and can admit he might have a point, doesn't mean I disagree with you.

No point, breh.

xbhaskarx

If only the US had something comparable to the impressive youth programs of Jamaica and Panama....

The crappy US youth development system explains why the US was the only country in the world to qualify for EVERY U-17 World Cup... until a couple of years ago. And why the US was the only country in the world to qualify for EVERY U-20 World Cup... until a couple of years ago. lol

Meier

Of the guys I have with a game this week in fantasy, over half are on international duty. :*(

There's not a lot wrong with that though. He's not even talking about the overall quality or difficulty of the leagues themselves, just that the difference between a Starting XI berth here and being on the bench is very pronounced. There's nowhere near as much depth in MLS as in most leagues and that's partly (largely) due to the salary cap. In a lot of other places, the guys behind you aren't that far behind and are pushing players to perform so they don't lose their place.

xbhaskarx

Ronaldo's kid has committed his future to the USMNT.

Hopefully Copa America staying in the US...

Is someone getting their citizenship?

Nagbe's is something we've been waiting on forever and it's coming real soon but it's hardly big news. The only other guys I can think of right now are Poku, Dwyer, and Manneh... unless Cuba is permitting Alonso to switch (hah).

Maybe a dual national choosing the US, like the Parker brothers or Toljan?

xbhaskarx

There's not a lot wrong with that though. He's not even talking about the overall quality or difficulty of the leagues themselves, just that the difference between a Starting XI berth here and being on the bench is very pronounced. There's nowhere near as much depth in MLS as in most leagues and that's partly (largely) due to the salary cap. In a lot of other places, the guys behind you aren't that far behind and are pushing players to perform so they don't lose their place.

I'm going to call you out on "most leagues"... I think you mean "a handful of leagues"... and even there it's really "a handful of teams, most of which no American plays for." When we're talking about Americans and comparing those in MLS to those in Europe, there are only a handful of guys in top leagues or on top teams. Relative to MLS I'd put the cutoff somewhere around Bedoya at Nantes, or maybe some top-half Championship or 2.Bundsliga teams... let's say Tim Ream. You may be a Man City fan or whatever, but what relevance is that to the US player pool when none of our guys play for teams at that level? Let's look at Mix Diskerud, who was in Norway at Stabaek and then Rosenborg which is the elite team in that league. Did he face more pressure there to perform or lose his starting spot than he does now at NYC FC from guys like Poku and McNamara? He played regularly in Norway and he was decent to good, and it got him into the US national team picture. Now his performance is below average in MLS and he's still in the US national team picture... even though fifteen guys throughout MLS are performing better, but apparently that doesn't matter because Feilhaber doesn't face as much pressure from his own teammates? Yeah right. And now Cole Grossman starts regularly for Stabaek who are doing quite well in Norway, when he barely played at all in MLS... if only he had a European name maybe he'd get called in by Klinsmann too.

The same thing applies to Liga MX, where all you need to get called in to the USMNT is a pulse and a US passport. How many of those guys are even "above average" in that league? Sure there is more competition in the teams but does that really mean being on the roster of a Liga MX team is more impressive than being one of the top players at your position in MLS? That's just ridiculous... and yet guys like Corona, Orozco, Garza, Yarbrough, Alvarado, etc. get chance after chance. Meanwhile the only MLS player to who has made his debut outside of January camp under Klinsmann is Alan freaking Gordon.

#USMNT Starters for #USAvPER: Guzan; Orozco, Gonzalez, Brooks, Ream; Yedlin, Jones, Bedoya, Zardes; Altidore(C), Wood

h2bwurB.png

Garza, Spector, and Yarbrough not suiting up. Everyone else available off the bench.

Top Bottom