• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent |OT|

eXistor

subversus said:
that's a normal state of affairs for almost any indie studio. Only big corporations have shareholders money to eat through.
I know, that's why I said it's a sad state of affairs. These guys should be rolling in dough!

Joe Molotov

LovingSteam said:
Still wouldn't work. Here, try this

COD:MW10 (AKA Amnesia: Dark Descent) |OT| Pachter says BY THIS GAME!

Call of Doodie 7: Medal of Honor 5 Dark Descent Into Thread of Amnesia Never Foxdies |OT| Pachter and Denis Dyack trolling Kingdom Hearts BBS and Vanquish With Master Chief and Stinkle's Head Photoshopped Onto One Body Thread of Win!

kamspy

I didn't play the demo but I really hope the melee is improved.

I don't need to be a melee weapon master of arms or anything, but one thing about Penumbra that bothered me is not being able to consistently swing an object. I don't know if what that mechanic added to the tension was a good thing or a bad thing.

I think there's some middle ground between that and what passes as a melee attack in a common FPS.

Joe Molotov

kamspy said:

I don't need to be a melee weapon master of arms or anything, but one thing about Penumbra that bothered me is not being able to consistently swing an object. I don't know if what that mechanic added to the tension was a good thing or a bad thing.

I think there's some middle ground between that and what passes as a melee attack in a common FPS.

Umm....

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
kamspy said:

Haha

Edit: It's fucking 0:05! I WANT MY GAME

Max

I am not Max
So I'm about to see if I can refund my Steam purchase of the game so I can buy directly from their store. Will I be able to enter the code on Steam afterward?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Damn, game is 20% off directly through steam. Must be a recent sale. Checked a couple weeks ago i thought it was 19.99.

clip said:
I see it as second behind Mafia II dlc.
It's a shame that even charted.

And to the people who are trying to hype this up- just stop. The game will clearly have a word of mouth effect and good buzz from PC press. If in a few months they're struggling again they can have a weekend sale, pirate amnesty or whatever. It's not like PC is drowning in games like this right now.

Will read the rest of Rock Paper Shotgun after I've played it.

Joe Molotov

Visualante said:
It's a shame that even charted.

And to the people who are trying to hype this up- just stop. The game will clearly have a word of mouth effect and good buzz from PC press. If in a few months they're struggling again they can have a weekend sale, pirate amnesty or whatever. It's not like PC is drowning in games like this right now.

You're right, a 4 page OT?? Good God man, what were we thinking! Let's slow this hype train down before someone gets killed.

The M.O.B

Dear Frictional Games

I would love to give you my money, but your games fails to run on my laptop (Don't have a desktop atm). My laptop was able to run Penumbra at max settings, flawlessly. Yet I am sitting here and am not able to even get to the menu screen on your new game Amnesia. I have tried some of the suggestions on your support forum but none seem to work. plz fix

This is what I got
Windows 7 64 bit Professional
Intel i5 2.27ghz
4 gb Ram
Ati Mobility Radeon 5650

exfixate

Joe Molotov said:
You're right, a 4 page OT?? Good God man, what were we thinking! Let's slow this hype train down before someone gets killed.

If you don't slow it down soon, I swear to God I'm going to start shooting at it!

The game looks awesome. I can't decide if I want to pick this up now, or wait until Halloween is closer. I love me some creepy game marathons in October.

Max

I am not Max
faceless007 said:
What advantage is there to pre-ordering on their website as opposed to Steam?
Nothing. Although Valve takes a cut of the profit if purchased from Steam. If you buy from their site you can activate the game on Steam anyways I think

K, I was just wondering why so many are planning to pre-order from Frictional and register it on Steam when they could just...pre-order on Steam.

faceless007 said:
K, I was just wondering why so many are planning to pre-order from Frictional and register it on Steam when they could just...pre-order on Steam.

Well I pre-ordered on their site months ago, and it was cheaper. You do get a retail direct download key and a Steam key when you pre-order from them, and the funds go right to Frictional. That's why.

kamspy said:

There is absolutely no combat in this game, so... As for Penumbra, that was the point. You weren't supposed to effectively cause damage, because the game was about surviving the odds in clever ways.

Damn, that RPS review really talks it up.

I got stuck in the demo for a couple of minutes and got annoyed at the darkness and haven't been back since. But I should give it an hour to really build an impression on me.

Joe Molotov said:
Machinarium thread didn't have a whole lot of posts either. Not every PC game is going to have a whole lot of hype pre-release but I think this game is going to have a lot of story moments and discussions about the experience of playing.

Yasae

Banned
The M.O.B said:
Dear Frictional Games

I would love to give you my money, but your games fails to run on my laptop (Don't have a desktop atm). My laptop was able to run Penumbra at max settings, flawlessly. Yet I am sitting here and am not able to even get to the menu screen on your new game Amnesia. I have tried some of the suggestions on your support forum but none seem to work. plz fix

This is what I got
Windows 7 64 bit Professional
Intel i5 2.27ghz
4 gb Ram
Ati Mobility Radeon 5650
You and me both, brother.

Max

I am not Max
faceless007 said:
More money gets to Frictional.

Nemesis_

Nemesis556 said:
The atmosphere in Penumbra was awful. In that it was so awful I had to stop playing at times, as in it was FUCKING SCARY.

But I never finished it. Is it worth playing through all three?

~Kinggi~

Banned
I bought it couple of hours ago, but couldnt pre-load or anything. Anyway, looking forward to it. Hope it gets good sales.

Well, I couldn't very well bitch in the Resident Evil thread about how there are no more scary games and not support this title. I'm not going to be sitting there refreshing steam like a mad man though because I have to get some sleep tonight and I'm not 100% enthused with the idea of playing this game in the dark. And I'm completely serious.

Tim-E

Jenga said:
Could we enter our steam order # and have it work or no?

Lame Steam makes us wait...especially when I have a thunderstorm going on outside :(

This is how pretty much every Steam release (besides Valve games) go.

Have there been any non-Steam games to have pre-downloads that unlock around midnightish?

lilltias

Bought it! I also managed to get som internal hype going at my workplace and I think I sold at least four copies (although it's no particular feat selling games to devs :p).

Then I discovered that the dudes developing it are from Sweden! Awesome :D

Celine

Question:
If I buy Mac version of a game on Steam, can I later download the Win version too ?
( using the same account )

aren't they one and the same? (aka. yes, you get both?)

btw if you buy from frictional you get download for windows version, mac version, linux version and a steam key

Gassey

Banned
Threads like this are why I love NEOGAF. I've never played Penumbra and was happened across this thread today. Played the demo, impressed the socks off me and then pre-ordered.

Looking forward to getting into this once it opens up.

Thanks again Gaf!

Top Bottom