• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Open Letter To Warner Bros CEO Kevin Tsujihara (Contains: Ether)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen that letter going around a couple of times today. It's rough, but it's not the soul-crushing, game-changing ether people are making it out to be either. It's an interesting look at the opinions of (what we assume to be) a former employee.

"Fucking PAN, you jerks." Had me dying, though.

EDIT: Also, why is everyone calling the author a guy? Unless we think it's a dude using Kim Cattrall's old character.

I'll add to that that I've heard Fantastic Beasts isn't that great either.

Friend of mine saw a test screening in Chicago. General impressions but I'm gonna spoiler tag anyways:

There's a good movie in there, but the movie's dragged down by a confusing plot, and too much focus on minor details / callbacks. If they cut like 15 minutes of screen time, it would be a lot better

1143ab5546c2d6b85d3b2ac3f7fe32d8730853fc_hq.gif

Blasphemy! WW is going to kick all kinds of ass.

I can see it being really meh. This assumption stems mainly from my impression that Gal cannot carry a movie, not at all. I don't think she'll be any fun to watch outside of action sequences. It'll have nice visuals and a good setpiece here and there, but overall, an extremely average, forgettable movie.

WB is making plenty of shit now, and doing so for entirely commercial reasons. This ain't the filmmaker driven WB anymore.
Every major is wallowing in 95% commercial eight-to-eighty year old consumer shit though so can anyone blame them? That's what they're competing against, correct?

tomtom94

EDIT: Also, why is everyone calling the author a guy? Unless we think it's a dude using Kim Cattrall's old character.

Because most people won't read the actual article (and thus the byline) and people tend to assume writers are male unless they mention otherwise because that's the way it tends to be in our culture (it's a kind of casual sexism)

I did it myself until I read some of the comments

SMG

I mean, he's totally burning his bridge in Hollywood (who is gonna work with him again), but: He's completely right. How the fuck does Snyder still have a job on the DC universe after Batman vs Superman?

The question should be expanded to "How the fuck does Snyder still have a job on the DC universe after Batman vs Superman, Owls of Gohull (sic), Watchmen, Man of Steele and Sucker Punch? "

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Stone cold. But she's right, BvS turns out shit, and the people responsible are still in their jobs, while others who had nothing to do with it, get sacked. Indefensible.

n0razi

A bad CEO can increase revenue and profit in the short term by cutting costs. When shit hits the fan, they can move on and leave a company that's tanked.

Might want to be more specific in your definition.

Tanking a company is not making money

I actually watched BvS this week. I kinda liked it. But when I read all the stuff that got cut out for the theatrical release, I realized the movie wouldn't even make any sense any more. But on the other hand, releasing the 3 hour cut in the theaters would have been disastrous.

Zach and company could have made a two hour movie that made sense, but they didn't. They made a 2.5 hour movie that doesn't make sense, and for home video 3 hour movie that is too bloated and long, though decent. And he ruins character alignments of legends. He needs to go. DC needs to crisis/flashpoint this shit and put us in the timeline where the characters don't suck.

Well sure, but I'd rather take a good movie overall than a shit 'filmmaker-driven' film.
I was responding to the idea of WB floundering because they don't make "filmmaker driven" films with ingenuity and creative risks, but also, let us agree to disagree about what constitutes a "good movie overall". Call me crazy, but I don't watch Pixar, comic book movies, franchise wannabes, or event tentpole films. I'll watch and support ten Neon Demons if it gives us a Bronson and Drive.

The question should be expanded to "How the fuck does Snyder still have a job on the DC universe after Batman vs Superman, Owls of Gohull (sic), Watchmen, Man of Steele and Sucker Punch? "

Part of Warner's "Filmmaker-Driven" philosophy seems to be that once you've made them a successful film, you're in with them forever, no matter what colossal failures you put out.

(See: The entire post-Matrix career of the Wachowski sisters)

Believe it or not.
07a689dc1920df7936dd9fb941f4ef79f74216d5d98ffb395510e28076cc39a3.jpg

UIYye1S.png

It's really silly. I hope Disney some how finds away to get the rights before WB start filming.

It's a mo-cap film. It's been in production for a long, long time. And it's not a matter of rights. The Jungle Book is public domain at this point, it was published in 1894 for fuck's sake.

Part of Warner's "Filmmaker-Driven" philosophy seems to be that once you've made them a successful film, you're in with them forever, no matter what colossal failures you put out.

But Scorsese has to struggle for years to get The Departed, Shutter Island, and Wolf of Wall Street made because they're R-rated dramas and executives don't think he has the pull with audiences. :(

It's a mo-cap film. It's been in production for a long, long time. And it's not a matter of rights. The Jungle Book is public domain at this point, it was published in 1894 for fuck's sake.

I know it's public domain. I just wish some how some way Disney actually own the rights to the movie. Seeing two Jungle Book films by two different company's is weird don't you think?

JdFoX187

Banned
It's really silly. I hope Disney some how finds away to get the rights before WB starts filming.

Why? For one, it's a public domain property. Besides, the approach Warner Bros. is taking with it sounds really promising, even to someone who somewhat enjoyed Disney's approach. The vitriol -- both in here and in the letter -- is a little ridiculous. Warner Bros. is in a creative rut and Disney has had a tremendous year. Doesn't mean a WB Jungle Book can't be good, especially when it has much more talent both in front of and behind the camera and isn't beholden to being a family-friendly adaptation of the animated musical.

I know it's public domain. I just wish some how some way Disney actually own the rights to the movie. Seeing two Jungle Book films by two different company's is weird don't you think?

I'd prefer to err on the side of artistic freedom than letting corporations lock up the rights to things they have no right to, personally.

If Serkis' Jungle Book is great, then cool, we get two awesome Jungle Books. If it's bad? Oh well, we can all ignore it. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

It is weird but wanting Disney to get the rights? Nah. Naaaaah. Nobody should want Disney of all companies to further mess with public domain.

Yes, and it was also the most expensive film ever made, films have to make double their budget back to just be considered a good return, they need to make way more to really be considered a success

Neither is true.

Obscura

Eh....he did 300. Maybe not as big as The Matrix but I'd argue it's almost as influential on a pop culture level. Especially these days.

Could you elaborate on this, please?

300 is famous for being a movie you watch once and then turn off part way into your next viewing. So if you mean it's influenced modern films to go style over substance, I could see that.

Nope. It's weirder for a public domain property to be locked up.

Why? For one, it's a public domain property. Besides, the approach Warner Bros. is taking with it sounds really promising, even to someone who somewhat enjoyed Disney's approach. The vitriol -- both in here and in the letter -- is a little ridiculous. Warner Bros. is in a creative rut and Disney has had a tremendous year. Doesn't mean a WB Jungle Book can't be good, especially when it has much more talent both in front of and behind the camera and isn't beholden to being a family-friendly adaptation of the animated musical.

I'd prefer to err on the side of artistic freedom than letting corporations lock up the rights to things they have no right to, personally.

If Serkis' Jungle Book is great, then cool, we get two awesome Jungle Books. If it's bad? Oh well, we can all ignore it. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

It is weird but wanting Disney to get the rights? Nah. Naaaaah. Nobody should want Disney of all companies to further mess with public domain.

All good fair points about public domain. It kinda reminds me of the FineBros. Disney is a company that's doing one hell of a job with The Jungle Book and are already working on the sequel thanks to the success from the first film. Two companies working on the same project is weird to me but, if WB can knock it out of the park I'm on board. I hope they can.

Harmen

I think it is fine. Just look at how many Sherlock Holmes products we have seen over the years, many of which were actually awesome. I think having a successful Disney film a year before it most certainly hurt WB's plans, but the concept of different companies doing the same properties in itself is not a bad thing in my opinion.

Circinus

Eh, as far as mainstream tentpole films go, among the big hollywood studios, Warner Bros. produces the most of the more appealing films to me by a large margin. They generally cover a wider slate of genres and I think you can still see that lots of their films are more director-driven rather than producer-driven. They don't play it safe and predictable imho.

Speaking of WB, I saw Tarzan last week and I enjoyed it tremendously. Great cinematography (beautiful, grand scenery), great pacing/editing.

So I don't really get the complaints, personally.

And obviously good critical reception doesn't equal to commercial success or vice versa (but it's certainly a factor, just definitely not always the most important factor).

I haven't seen any of the DCEU films yet, because that kind of movies doesn't interest me that much, so I don't know about that, but generally speaking I'm not a big fan of superhero movies.

Why would you want that? Isn't it more interesting to have the option to watch multiple different takes on a classic tale? You can always just watch the Disney one and not the other one if you desire..

Definitely not weird imho.

Snyder's movies have either broke even or made a shit ton of money. Yeah, lets fire him just because rotten tomato scores. And Suicide Squad at the end of the day is going to do a lot of money, It will even make more then a good chunk of DC/MCU non sequel movies.

Unlike the Wachowski's who have been the true sinking ship for WB for years.
I agree the CEO needs to get his shit together though. They've been fucking up royally with ridiculous budgets. 100mil for Point Break. lol

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

Nolan in the safe zone for eternity and beyond.

Rooster12

Snyder's movies have either broke even or made a shit ton of money. Yeah, lets fire him just because rotten tomato scores. And Suicide Squad at the end of the day is going to do a lot of money, It will even make more then a good chunk of DC/MCU non sequel movies.

The question is how is WB/DC gonna make money off their unknown characters? A Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Cyborg movie??

If these big movies suck, nobody would go see the small ones.

tomtom94

Snyder's movies have either broke even or made a shit ton of money. Yeah, lets fire him just because rotten tomato scores.

The thing is that Snyder's movies have made a tonne of money (with the exception of Sucker Punch, which should have REALLY been a warning sign for Warner), even if (like me) you could argue they still underperformed... but the brand damage they've done is going to last for a while. Man of Steel went over so poorly that they had to go into full damage-control mode for Batman v Superman and then Dawn of Justice was badly received as well.

I guarantee you that there are people working out how to minimise Snyder's exposure ahead of Justice League because his name is poison at the moment. The fact that he was involved in rewrites on Wonder Woman is already causing people to panic.

Believe it or not.
07a689dc1920df7936dd9fb941f4ef79f74216d5d98ffb395510e28076cc39a3.jpg

UIYye1S.png

It's really silly. I hope Disney some how finds away to get the rights before WB starts filming.
Thinking like this is the reason Corporation's can now indefinitely hold the rights to IP's. It used to be the rights would become public 50 years after the death of the creator. But corporations can now legally be named the creator of works, which means they can hold the rights forever.

jett

D-Member

So you just want Disney to monopolize public domain material for reasons?

WB's Jungle Book was announced first.

Ridley327

Well, being the best movie this summer means very little to be honest. I should probably get on that Nice Guys thang, which I assume you're talking about. :p

It's pretty rad. If you at all liked Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, you're probably going to like this one.

commedieu

Banned

Mandrake air presents: Jungle book

Animation by: sunhilegend studios.

wetwired

Relative to budget, I don't think so. Man of Steel was really expensive, $225 million production and adding marketing to that with $150 million gives a hefty price tag of $375 million, in other words, $750 million as a break-even point.

So 'box office failure' is apt if you consider box office revenues alone weren't nearly sufficient to cover the costs. Home market sales were $100 or so million, but that's just gross. So maybe they broke even or were very close to it.

EDIT: What's the deal with Gracie Law? Who is she?

It made $668 Million, minus $375M is $273M Profit? From what I can tell that doesn't include home market sales or merchandising. What am I missing here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom