• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Open Letter To Warner Bros CEO Kevin Tsujihara (Contains: Ether)

Status
Not open for further replies.
VgkfCWd.png

9DUiROp.gif

Hey if she can help bring down the corrupt David Lopan than perhaps she can help WB too.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Here insider's can confirm that Wonder Woman was a mess but they couldn't do the same before she saw Suicide Squad?

Suicide Squad has been known to be in deep shit since at least April, when insiders reported that the trailers everyone liked so much bore almost no resemblance to the tone of the actual film. Suicide Squad turning out the way it did should not have been a surprise to anyone who's been paying attention.

LOL

I was working for WB in 2014 (and just finished another gig w/them as well). They fired a bunch of people because their offices were a fucking mess and full of redundancies. Disregard as fanboy shit.

Ross61

Suicide Squad has been known to be in deep shit since at least April, when insiders reported that the trailers everyone liked so much bore almost no resemblance to the tone of the actual film. Suicide Squad turning out the way it did should not have been a surprise to anyone who's been paying attention.
Which is the point I'm trying to make. The person is acting blindsided by the "mess" that is Suicide Squad even though insider knowledge would suggest it had already been a trainwreck for months. Now she has confirmation that Wonder Woman is a mess when it's hardly into post-production.I don't know, it just seems a little sus to me.

jdstorm

Banned
One problem I have with this letter is that he doesn't address the executive meddling happening at WB. He's blaming the creators, but not really bringing up that WB keeps cutting up their movies, panicking, and editing by committee.

It's what happened with BVS and with Suicide Squad

Except warners execs made Suicide Squad better

Edit: There is a lot of information about what got changed online. Basically Warners thought it was too broody and dark, so they got another studio to make a more Fun cut, and when that tested better then the directors origional vision they commissioned reshoots to fix it.

Reading the letter felt like watching Suicide Squad. About three or four ideas smashed together but no point being made. Just rambling on until it sort of ends.

When Fantastic Beasts performs below estimates I imagine there's a shake up and Tsujihara is gone.

wetwired

The inside word on Mad Max was that it was a mess until it began test screening.

It doesn't necessarily mean anything this far out.

it pretty much was, constant delays, unseasonal rain causing much of the Australian desert area they wanted to film in turn to lush grass/flower fields. It delayed the project considerably and caused them to move to Namibia to film

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Zack Snyder is not delivering. Is he being punished? Assistants who were doing fantastic work certainly were. People in finance and in marketing and in IT. They had no say in a movie called Batman V Superman only having 8 minutes of Batman fighting Superman in it, that ends because their moms have the same name. Snyder is a producer on every DC movie. He is still directing Justice League. He is being rewarded with more opportunity to get more people laid off. I'm assuming you yourself haven't been financially affected in any real way. You and your studio are the biggest lesson about life one can learn: The top screws up and the bottom suffers. Peter Jackson phones it in and a marketing supervisor has to figure out a plan B for house payments.

So true so true. I wonder if Zack's wife being a producer is why Zack is still a producer on all of the DC movies.

Azih

Reads like someone bitter about watching friends get fired which is totally fair. But randomly throwing Peter Jackson under the bus? Dude lost like a decade of his life trying to keep the lights open on the Hobbit.

I wonder if it would be in WB's best interests to try and do more higher quality, lower budgeted films. Like, make Batfleck work with a bunch of practical effects - very low key and such. Not like bare minimum budget, but definitely nothing that needs to make $1 billion to be a success.

I wonder if it would be in WB's best interests to try and do more higher quality, lower budgeted films. Like, make Batfleck work with a bunch of practical effects - very low key and such. Not like bare minimum budget, but definitely nothing that needs to make $1 billion to be a success.

It would be great if WB, Fox and Marvel took the Deadpool approach more often for some of their characters. Not every comic-book movie needs to cost $200 million. But unfortunately for WB (and us), The Dark Knight gave them a taste of that billion dollar money and there's no way they'll ever stop pursuing that with their superhero stuff, especially not Batman who's already managed to do it twice.

Too bad, I would love a $50 million Batman movie focusing on him as a detective. But even Deadpool was a fluke, I bet the sequel will cost over $100 million if only because everyone is going to get a salary bump.

I didn't really realise WB was in such a bad way at the moment, but thinking about it they have had a string of box office bombs, haven't they?

Also, I had not heard about there being issues with Wonder Woman. Is there any more info on this? Honestly, I find it rather fascinating how they keep fucking up these movies. I just watched Green Lantern for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and morbidly curious how they got almost everything wrong.

Liamario

Banned
What happens if WW is another disappointment?
They can't seriously continue down this road. They have to reboot after justice league. I'm not confident in Justice League either.

jelly

So true so true. I wonder if Zack's wife being a producer is why Zack is still a producer on all of the DC movies.

I think it's pretty simple. he took the job nobody wanted in such a short period of time to get going, was willing to create the whole 1 billion a movie cinematic universe success, can paint a very pretty picture. As for the failure, nothing stops the train and because they basically handed him the keys and rushed the film schedules, they can't change course so they have to stick with him or delay the cinematic universe.

Nothing is going by to stop Wonder Women and Justice League but I could see the wheels coming off if they both fall short and resort to a few Batman films while they start over.

Wonder Women is set in an interesting era but that's about it. Gadot is a bad actor. It wouldn't surprise me if that film flops but I like that it's different. You can argue that these roles don't require good acting or charisma but Cavill is the worst Superman because he can't act and has no charisma, Gadot unfortunately is worse unless she pulls out a great performance from nowhere. Yes, I've seen The Man from Uncle.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
There's really nothing I can add that hasn't been said ad nauseum at this point. The WB Animation arm and their child company DC have told some amazing stories over the decades but it seems they want to leverage almost none of it. It's like they're trying to reinvent the wheel. I enjoyed the Wonder Woman trailer but I simply cannot give them the benefit of the doubt any more. WB putting out great trailers is almost a given at this point.

It really is frustrating to watch as a film geek and a comic geek. But I can only imagine how more so it is for someone who works there; when suits at the top are not held accountable for their mismanagement and the folks at the bottom end up paying for it.

What happens if WW is another disappointment?
They can't seriously continue down this road. They have to reboot after justice league. I'm not confident in Justice League either.

If Wonder Woman fails it's only going to get worse with Justice League. When I first saw this shot I cringe from 0-100. This is a Zack Synder movie with this cringe of a shot. Looks like Wonder Woman's in a music video.
giphy.gif

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I didn't really realise WB was in such a bad way at the moment, but thinking about it they have had a string of box office bombs, haven't they?

Also, I had not heard about there being issues with Wonder Woman. Is there any more info on this? Honestly, I find it rather fascinating how they keep fucking up these movies. I just watched Green Lantern for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and morbidly curious how they got almost everything wrong.

No rumor but there's the whole vibe that WW will be the 4th stinker here. They haven't have any good DCCU movie yet, so i'll imagine them in panic mode now, which ends up screwing the movie

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I have no problem with them being a director focused studio. There will be their hits and misses. For giving shit about the Wachowskis, they also pumped an enormous amount of money to that company with The Matrix. Between the 3 movies and all the franchising they were able to do with it. So I think it's unfair to blame Warner on taking the risk with Jupiter Ascending. Their only other L with Warner prior was Speed Racer.

But I would say they are right. It's very clear the issue is from the top down, not the bottom up. So it's typically, the lower rungs do their job and get punished for it. Synder should have been removed after BvS and should never have been in the position to helm the universe. Hell, Synder is sitting on both Watchman and Sucker Punch bombs even before getting MoS. And they are still giving him films for the next 4 years with 200million budgets. That's not the way to go.

Titles like Pan, Tarzan, Jungle Book. Has Warner yet hit any of them out of the park?

The letter actually pointed out a much deeper problem than Zack Snyder and mishandling of DCCU. Also she pointed out Snyder not Ayar because Snyder is being relied on after the terrible BvS.

The CEO guy should worry the board reading this letter.

Kimawolf

I mean, he's totally burning his bridge in Hollywood (who is gonna work with him again), but: He's completely right. How the fuck does Snyder still have a job on the DC universe after Batman vs Superman?
The same way Taylor Kirsch starred in John Carpenter of Mars, Battleship, and Savages, (am I missing huge bombs he led?). Hollywood gets hooked on someone and keeps trying to push them, thinking its the audience's fault.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
If Wonder Woman fails it's only going to get worse with Justice League. When I first saw this shot I cringe from 0-100. This is a Zack Synder movie with this cringe of a shot. Looks like Wonder Woman's in a music video.
giphy.gif

Which is weird 'cause WW looks better in her own Film than in Snyders BvS and JL from what we 've seen in the trailers.

I mean, he's totally burning his bridge in Hollywood (who is gonna work with him again), but: He's completely right. How the fuck does Snyder still have a job on the DC universe after Batman vs Superman?

I guess he has himself in such a great contract that Warner figure it would be better to ride it out and let the contract end rather than pay him off and find someone else to direct the films.

Kim Cattral (Sex and the City, Mannaquien) from Big Trouble in Little China.

I guess the Gracie Law reference is a code name and trying to say Big Trouble at Warner Bros.?

The timing of the letter is off, if she was laid off when she said she was how does she not reference SS, but knows WW is a mess?

That was Kim Cattral is that movie?! Whoa.

Blader

Damn, that letter was not what I was expecting.

On the one hand, I can totally sympathize with her watching her friends and other people lower on the ladder sacrificed for directors' and producers' and executives' failure. On the other hand, guys like Snyder, Jackson, et al. are locked into deals or schedules that logistically make it much harder to get rid of them on a whim than a PA or whomever down the line.

But back on the first hand, why WB hired Snyder to helm their Superman reboot and shepherd the entire DC slate after the failures of Watchmen (which I liked) and Sucker Punch (which I didn't actively dislike) is beyond me. That is a case of rewarding failure with more opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom