• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Syriel

People, this is why you root. You'll have Lollipop maybe a couple of months (if not more) before the planned roll outs whenever your carrier decides to push it out.

Unlocking the bootloader will let you flash anything. You can flash w/o rooting. ;)

this on every damn level. stop this "in the coming weeks" bs.

Google is not good about meeting release dates. Hence the vague announcements.

I'm in the same boat. S3 LTE unrooted, but I guess I just have to do it when 5.0 roms start rolling.

S3 will very likely have a version of L by way of CyanogenMod.

I just hope I can play music without having the cover art appear on the lockscreen. Dumbest design decision I have seen in a good while.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I just hope I can play music without having the cover art appear on the lockscreen. Dumbest design decision I have seen in a good while.

giphy.gif

soul

I missed having no Exchange support so I downgraded to KitKat after a couple of hours.
It's a shame.

Whaaaat. The stock mail app stopped supporting Exchange Activesync? In that case, can't you use a different mail app from the Play Store to access your account?

Jzero

ilOWaqlwXNhTu.gif

wtf. that was one of my favorite features in 4.4.4.
I was pissed when they removed it in the L previews.

androvsky

What are the chances the digital audio output will let my Nexus 4 work with a car audio system that has a newer iPod digital interface? I'm aware of the podmode app, but it only works with older cars that take analog audio. I'd love to be able to just plug in my phone and get song titles on my stereo with Spotify or Google Music. My car is a 2013 Hyundai Sonata with the basic radio, so bluetooth audio streaming works fine but just shows the name of the phone.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Does the Google Play Music app on Lollipop have the Material Design? Does it have that dark theme that they briefly showed back at I/O? Looked amazing.

Play Music isn't included in the new preview, all you get is the old ugly Music app that hasn't been updated in years. So you have to install Play Music from the Store, and then you obviously just get the same version everyone else has. So no, no material design. The same goes for all other Google apps.

You're crazy, the lock screen media controls in KK are great!

Unfortunately, they haven't quite fixed them in the preview yet. The artwork is back, but not the proper controls. This is what I get on my lock screen (I use pattern unlock and have notifications set to hide sensitive content):

Uhm, yeah, that's very useful...

Media controls obviously need to show up no matter what. That's not sensitive content.

EDIT: This is what it looks like if you have notifications set to display their content on the lock screen:

So yeah, this is one of very few clear steps backward from KK, unless they fix it before the final release.

lemmykoopa

Play Music isn't included in the new preview, all you get is the old ugly Music app that hasn't been updated in years. So you have to install Play Music from the Store, and then you obviously just get the same version everyone else has. So no, no material design. The same goes for all other Google apps.

You're crazy, the lock screen media controls in KK are great!

Unfortunately, they haven't quite fixed them in the preview yet. The artwork is back, but not the proper controls. This is what I get on my lock screen (I use pattern unlock and have notifications set to hide sensitive content):

Uhm, yeah, that's very useful...

Media controls obviously need to show up no matter what. That's not sensitive content.

EDIT: This is what it looks like if you have notifications set to display their content on the lock screen:

So yeah, this is one of very few clear steps backward from KK, unless they fix it before the final release.

Link for your lockscreen background please?

Edit: nm, No need for link. It's dream theater artwork i see now

I'm looking at some of the articles put up regarding 5.0 features and design and I gotta say, I can't believe this is a google product.

Where is the jank?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm looking at some of the articles put up regarding 5.0 features and design and I gotta say, I can't believe this is a google product.

Where is the jank?

Eh, there hasn't really been much jank in stock Android since JB (4.1) or so. And it's gotten even better since then. But yes, 5.0 is a big step forward in terms of design, smooth interactions, animations and such.

The new ringtone volume controls kind of confuse me.

Is selecting the NONE button on the volume bar the way you're supposed to silence the phone? Turning down volume all the way just puts it on vibrate.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The new ringtone volume controls kind of confuse me.

Is selecting the NONE button on the volume bar the way you're supposed to silence the phone? Turning down volume all the way just puts it on vibrate.

Well, that stops all notifications and other disturbances from showing up. So it's kind of like a super-silenced mode. But you're right that there doesn't seem to be a regular silenced mode anymore, where you still get notifications but no sound or vibration.

Mindwipe

From looking through the notes on the API, I think that it can be fixed with an update to the app itself rather than the OS, so I'm hoping the Material Design All Access update will sort it.

Phoenix

In my release it always appears as the bottom. Maybe there is some setting that came over from a previous flash, but its always there.

Bluetooth appears to have some issues in the preview. It took a number of times before it would find my car's head unit - but once it did everything was fine.

Phoenix

Where is the jank?

Indeed. Whomever designed all of this needs a huge raise, because this OS is just stellar in its beauty and execution. Unless this is a fluke, Apple is going to have their work cut out for themselves to stay out in front.

linkboy

Have you guys seen or used any recent Samsung phone (S5 and Note 4) with the latest Touchwiz UI?

Yes, and while better than previous versions, it's still a clusterfuck. I don't like any of the custom skins that the manufactures put on their phones. It's wasn't needed when Kit Kat was out and it sure as hell won't be needed when Lollipop releases.

Sch1sm

Can the members who have flashed the developer preview report back the battery use on the n5?

And is there any caveats to installing the developer preview? Will it still update OTA to the final build?

I've had mine going the entire day and it's been good. 4G was on the entire time, Wi-Fi dependent on whether I was home or not. 3h40m of screen use and I got just under 11 hours out of it so far (with still one hour and ten minutes expected according to the battery report). It's not bad.

****EDIT: Figured you'd like a screenshot to supplement. Haven't really used my phone since then (aside form music). But I'm also not using battery saving mode so background data is free range, and my notifications are constantly coming at me. It's not bad.
dMtK7Nm.png

Does the Google Play Music app on Lollipop have the Material Design? Does it have that dark theme that they briefly showed back at I/O? Looked amazing.

It's all in due time for most of the apps, really.

linkboy

Google is holding all the Material Design updates back for the vast majority of their apps until the OS goes final (makes sense really).

That's they shipped this latest one with the AOSP apps, it's basically so developers can get their apps up to full speed.

Sch1sm

Thanks! Sucks to have to wait so long.

Sucks, but at least by then most apps will be optimized for L and you won't experience the crashes. And you'll have all the material design at your finger tips. It'll be so glorious you forget the dev preview wasn't open to N4's. <3

SimleuqiR

So if you use Hangouts as your default SMS app, your text get backed up to the cloud. And I don't mean Google Voice text messages.

All my text that I sent via my mobile phone # are there after the wipe. I've scroll back as far as June, and gave up. Don't know how far back but it seems all of them are there.

Sch1sm

So if you use Hangouts as your default SMS app, your text get backed up to the cloud. And I don't mean Google Voice text messages.

All my text that I sent via my mobile phone # are there after the wipe. I've scroll back as far as June, and gave up. Don't know how far back but it seems all of them are there.

That's an obscene amount. I'd just delete everything.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

How much apace is taken up?

SimleuqiR

That's an obscene amount. I'd just delete everything.

How much apace is taken up?

See I don't think it downloads all your SMS. You need to scroll up (go back in time) to be able to see them. Hangouts then starts requesting them as you scroll back. At that point I think it starts to cache them in the phone.

It's just good to know that they are there. Hopefully you can eventually access them outside your phone.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Indeed. Whomever designed all of this needs a huge raise, because this OS is just stellar in its beauty and execution. Unless this is a fluke, Apple is going to have their work cut out for themselves to stay out in front.
It really is nice. So smooth!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I loved the full screen cover art on the lock screen. Is there no way to bring that back?

It's already back. Look at the screens I posted earlier in the thread, they show exactly that. The controls are a bit messed up at the moment though.

From looking through the notes on the API, I think that it can be fixed with an update to the app itself rather than the OS, so I'm hoping the Material Design All Access update will sort it.

Yeah, that might be it.

What? I've never, ever seen Hangouts pull in old texts, just Hangouts messages. Nor have I ever heard about that being a feature. And I've wanted SMS backup/syncing for a long time. I use SMS Backup & Restore to do it manually.

Are you saying this is a new thing in L, or...? Or that it's a new Hangouts feature? I would love it to be true, but I've never seen it.

Top Bottom