• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Esqueleto

Banned
Open flash-all.sh in a text editor and delete the part that says -w.
Just in case people don't know. There are multiple scripts. One for windows(.bat), Linux(.sh), and I think a 3rd for Mac. (I think you use the Linux one. PC is off so I can't check.)
If you don't want to wipe make sure you edit the right one and make sure the changes saved.

Divius

Cool, just got a Moto X so this is fun news.

I hope I can group my app icons with the new update, because currently I cannot and it bugs me.

DrFurbs

Can the members who have flashed the developer preview report back the battery use on the n5?

And is there any caveats to installing the developer preview? Will it still update OTA to the final build?

I wasn't convinced with Material Design before, but it looks like it's gonna best IOS8. I just got an iphone 6 as a secondary phone and IOS8 just feels clunky, even compared to KitKat. Lollipop should obliterate it for me. Can't wait.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. I thought Kit Kat was smooth but it wasn't consistent across the board. With Material Design, Google nailed the looks (in my opinion),responsiveness, and fluidity. The revamped recents (forgot the new name) is god tier. When I hear that Android is laggy, I'll just point them in Lollipops direction.

linkboy

Can the members who have flashed the developer preview report back the battery use on the n5?

And is there any caveats to installing the developer preview? Will it still update OTA to the final build?

I flashed it last night and my phone has been on the charger. It's fully charged right now, so I'll keep tabs on it and report back later.

You are trying to flash a Nexus device right?

I have been using this since I got my Nexus 5. It makes the process idiot proof.

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

Thanks for posting this. Really cool tool.

Unfortunately, it still gets stuck at "Does not contain boot.sig" and "Does not contain recovery.sig." Just sits there and doesn't start back up again, even after about 5-10 minutes. I have no clue what the problem is.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Thanks for posting this. Really cool tool.

Unfortunately, it still gets stuck at "Does not contain boot.sig" and "Does not contain recovery.sig." Just sits there and doesn't start back up again, even after about 5-10 minutes. I have no clue what the problem is.

I had the same problem. Go in and get the individual images in the image-hammerhead zip (boot.img, cache.img, etc.) and flash them all to your phone one by one.

JordanKZ

If the update is due soon then would rooting my phone be necessary? I just don't want to brick it.

Nope, you can update over ADB without rooting. You just need to turn on the developer debugging, which is easy as heck.

Don't worry, once someone has isolated the OTA link, instructions will appear with download links on many android specific websites.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well, I thought I had the flashing figured out, but after I began flashing, I got errors about the archive not containing boot.sig and recovery.sig. Did a Google search which said I should be able to ignore them, but the entire process stopped and didn't go any further.

It always warns about those files missing when using Google's flashing script, but that's fine, and it should keep going after that. How long did you let it sit? Some parts take quite some time, and it might seem like nothing is happening.

Have you made sure you have the latest Platform Tools and such installed in the SDK Manager (if you're doing it that way)?

does flashing erase data i.e. music, texts, etc.?

Yep.

Yes but you can skip the wipe by deleting the -w from the script. I flashed from the first preview to the new one without wiping and haven't had any problems on my n5. I don't know if it causes any problems coming from KK.

Yes, but DON'T DO THIS if you're coming from 4.4, you will have issues (from the first L preview to the second is probably fine).

Also, if this is your first time flashing something onto the phone you're gonna have to unlock the bootloader first, which will erase all user data anyway.

Haven't been using it for long enough to judge the battery life yet, will report back when I feel like I can say something interesting about it. But I will say that I definitely experienced an improvement with the first preview over KK.

But no, the dev preview won't get an OTA update to the final release. Gonna have to flash again once that's out, to get back on the OTA train.

soul

Damn, I can't wait for the official Nexus 4 images so I can flash my device.

does flashing erase data i.e. music, texts, etc.?

It's a big change from KK so I recommend wiping your old content, but you can keep your files/settings/apps by flashing L manually and skipping userdata. Beware it can cause glitches and/or crashes if some of your old apps are not L compatible.

Fatalah

Shit, Lollipop looks so beautiful.

I'm now holding back any intent of buying any Android devices until I see how OEMs are going to bastardise their version of Lollipop.

Motorola leaves Android alone, so I've had no need to root my 1st gen Moto X. Motorola beat Nexus for KitKat too. Can't wait!

pestul

Android L on my Nexus 7 is GOAT

Based Google

Shit is unreal awesome!!!

Oh God that looks nice.. I'm still going to wait for the OTA though and just drool at all these screenshots and videos. Will have this on my Moto G and Nexus 7. My wife is going to be so jealous when she sees my devices running Lollipop..

VanWinkle

I really love the look of Lollipop. I hope LG doesn't mess too much with many of these beautiful UI elements that Google has introduced. They were a little more subtle with their skin on the LG G3 than I figured they'd be, so I'm somewhat optimistic, at least compared to someone like Samsung.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
To people using the new L preview: Have you gotten Pushbullet notification mirroring working? I just can't seem to. Has always worked before, but now when I send the test notification in the app nothing shows up on my PC.

I had the same problem. Go in and get the individual images in the image-hammerhead zip (boot.img, cache.img, etc.) and flash them all to your phone one by one.

Okay, did it this way and it worked! Tedious, but kind of informative. Thanks for the advice.

As for Lollipop: So. Goddamned. Pretty.

What do you mean?

1jVqqNE.png

There has to be a better way to display information on a 7" device. This feels like a 'seniors' zoom mode. From my perspective, it looks like Material Design is best suited for ~5" phones, Wear and Auto devices.

I cannot get over the fluidity of Android L. It's a thing of beauty and really lets Android compete with iOS on the grounds of responsiveness, smoothness, and aesthetics. Material Design is great.

Seriously wonderful. This is a great update from Google. Let's hope that the hardware manufacturers don't muck it up too much.

There has to be a better way to display information on a 7" device. This feels like a 'seniors' zoom mode. From my perspective, it looks like Material Design is best suited for ~5" phones, Wear and Auto devices.
I thought that's how it always looked in portrait on small tablets, and multi columned in landscape.

Is the multitasking displaying tabs separately for anyone?
Edit: I can't remember what website I saw it on, but some material version of chrome had an option to turn on/off chrome tabs in the recents view.

Another image I saw more recently had the refresh button back in the omnibox.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I thought that's how it always looked in portrait on small tablets, and multi columned in landscape.

Edit: I can't remember what website I saw it on, but some material version of chrome had an option to turn on/off chrome tabs in the recents view. Another image I saw more recently had the refresh button back in the omnibox.

Hmm, yeah, I remember reading about/seeing that too. Is it in the beta channel? Don't know.

Akira

Did Google release an official video showing Lollipop(like Apple does with iOS)? All I can find were crappy ads by Google and endless Android Central/Police/Moms videos.

Well, there are still many 5" and below phones out there. Google has to make sure L looks great on all displays. With that said, expect plenty of tweaks geared towards larger phones and tablets. Their flagship phone is a phablet after all.
Seriously wonderful. This is a great update from Google. Let's hope that the hardware manufacturers don't muck it up too much.
This is pretty much why I'm heavily debating a Nexus 6. I don't even need a launcher to change much because the default looks great. Unless Sony decides to release a google play edition of the Z3. Or if the rumors of Moto making a Droid Turbo like device for other carriers are true.

Hmm, yeah, I remember reading about/seeing that too. Is it in the beta channel? Don't know.
I'm running chrome beta on KitKat so maybe it only shows up on L? Perhaps that image was from a further along version that's not been released publicly, or just Google testing certain new features with a small group of people like the home button next to the omnibox.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ah, "tabs-as-apps" indeed works in Chrome Beta. Here are three tabs in Recents:

What slightly annoying is that if you have this enabled you can't switch tabs from within Chrome at all anymore, you have to use Recents. Will take some getting used to.

BTW, GAF's mobile design needs an update, methinks. Let's get some flat/material goodness in there!

Phoenix

I've been running the (final) image for a few days now (non public channel) and I can say with certainty that this is the most relevant development to ever happen to Android. The jump between Android 4.x and 5 is about as big as the leap between iOS6 and iOS8. There are some people who poo poo Material design, but on an actual device (Nexus 5... and such here) this thing is just goddamn beautiful and has taken a lot of "ease of use" cues from other platforms and plugins to make this clearly and without question the defining moment in the evolution of Android.

Android 5 can stand its own against iOS8, and outside of Coherence and similar OS X Yosemite integrations - Android 5 is a true best of class OS. While I've been a user of all of the platforms for a while, I'm really excited about where Android is going with this next release.

I'm hesitant to say that I think Google's larger strategy with Android is the best move (no comment, but listen to their strategists), but they are definitely making this a "Google First" platform more and more with each release. How that echoes through the rest of the food chain will be interesting to watch.

Phoenix

Damn, I can't wait for the official Nexus 4 images so I can flash my device.

It's a big change from KK so I recommend wiping your old content, but you can keep your files/settings/apps by flashing L manually and skipping userdata. Beware it can cause glitches and/or crashes if some of your old apps are not L compatible.

Be sure to backup all your data and settings if you're doing the image flash.

Phoenix

Motorola leaves Android alone, so I've had no need to root my 1st gen Moto X. Motorola beat Nexus for KitKat too. Can't wait!

They make a few tweaks, but they are mostly to support specific features that they have in their apps/phones. Other than that they are pretty much stock.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've been running the (final) image for a few days now (non public channel) and I can say with certainty that this is the most relevant development to ever happen to Android. The jump between Android 4.x and 5 is about as big as the leap between iOS6 and iOS8. There are some people who poo poo Material design, but on an actual device (Nexus 5... and such here) this thing is just goddamn beautiful and has taken a lot of "ease of use" cues from other platforms and plugins to make this clearly and without question the defining moment in the evolution of Android.

Android 5 can stand its own against iOS8, and outside of Coherence and similar OS X Yosemite integrations - Android 5 is a true best of class OS. While I've been a user of all of the platforms for a while, I'm really excited about where Android is going with this next release.

I'm hesitant to say that I think Google's larger strategy with Android is the best move (no comment, but listen to their strategists), but they are definitely making this a "Google First" platform more and more with each release. How that echoes through the rest of the food chain will be interesting to watch.

What does that mean? A newer build than the new dev preview, or you just got it earlier? If it is in fact newer, are there any noteworthy differences that you're aware of?

Phoenix

What does that mean? A newer build than the new dev preview, or you just got it earlier? If it is in fact newer, are there any noteworthy differences that you're aware of?

I can't answer that directly, but I can say that the release number is not the same as the one that was posted yesterday. No noteworthy differences - I think this may just be a few fixes before going onto a device.

Still has some bizarre issue with some of the apps still showing their "I'm updating halo" after they've been updated/downloaded on the device.

soul

Be sure to backup all your data and settings if you're doing the image flash.

I actually think this time around I'll start from scratch in order to avoid crashes/glitches by the move. Nonetheless, I always backup everything via Titanium Backup on a weekly basis.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I can't answer that directly, but I can say that the release number is not the same as the one that was posted yesterday. No noteworthy differences - I think this may just be a few fixes before going onto a device.

Still has some bizarre issue with some of the apps still showing their "I'm updating halo" after they've been updated/downloaded on the device.

Do you have any sweet Material apps that the rest of us don't? Those are still sorely missing, beyond the few included ones. Or maybe you can't answer that either? ;)

Phoenix

Do you have any sweet Material apps that the rest of us don't? Those are still sorely missing, beyond the few included ones. Or maybe you can't answer that either? ;)

Well. My release is different so I'd have to flash another device to do the comp between my release and the one they released the other day. I don't think they're really adding a lot more TBH. The devices are coming out in a few days so what I have is either a build of a point release or the final that's going on the device.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well. My release is different so I'd have to flash another device to do the comp between my release and the one they released the other day. I don't think they're really adding a lot more TBH. The devices are coming out in a few days so what I have is either a build of a point release or the final that's going on the device.

Yeah, but the dev preview comes with no Google apps at all except for the Play Store and Now/Search. The rest is just old AOSP stuff that hasn't been updated in ages. The release build is obviously going to include all the Gapps, and I assume (?) they'll be updated with Material Design.

northead

If you are on Twitter, here's arguably THE best Material Twitter app out there. And probably the only one.

goo.gl/8LNQYD

Phoenix

Yeah, but the dev preview comes with no Google apps at all except for the Play Store and Now/Search. The rest is just old AOSP stuff that hasn't been updated in ages. The release build is obviously going to include all the Gapps, and I assume (?) they'll be updated with Material Design.

Mine was a flash of one that already had Google Apps on it so I can't speak to that because all of my Google apps are present. Either they were installed by this release or it took the ones already on the device. Doesn't look like they have all be updated on this package though.

I can say that one feature that I'm loving is the new way to set do not diaturb and such from the volume menu that comes up when you change the volume. Perfect for setting that I want all notifications of any kind off for the next couple of hours while I'm at a conference or in a meeting.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Would this be safe for everyday usage?

IMO, yes. Seems very stable, everything is working well for me so far (except for Pushbullet notification mirroring, but I'm not sure if that's L's fault). This build is likely very close to what will be released in November. So if you're not afraid of wiping your device (and then doing it again when the final release is out), go for it!

Just wait a couple of weeks. I'm guessing the final should be publicly available at that the final final will have to be available because the devices will be shipping.

Will probably be another four weeks or so until the final build is available for the N4/N5, and if you don't want to wait until then (I sure didn't) the new preview is a nice substitute. Again, you just have to be prepared to wipe your device. You can technically flash without wiping, but it's not recommended.

Mine was a flash of one that already had Google Apps on it so I can't speak to that because all of my Google apps are present. Either they were installed by this release or it took the ones already on the device. Doesn't look like they have all be updated on this package though.

I can say that one feature that I'm loving is the new way to set do not diaturb and such from the volume menu that comes up when you change the volume. Perfect for setting that I want all notifications of any kind off for the next couple of hours while I'm at a conference or in a meeting.

Yeah, the DND stuff is nice. It was in the last preview as well, but back then it was in the quick settings. Moving it to the volume key pop-up was probably a good idea, although it did take me a little while to actually find it. Thought it was gone at first! And the prioritized stuff is new, I think.

VanWinkle

Does the Google Play Music app on Lollipop have the Material Design? Does it have that dark theme that they briefly showed back at I/O? Looked amazing.

Top Bottom