• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Wow! Love how it asked me from which device back up I wanted to restore my "new" phone from.

That...and how the not yet installed apps on your homescreens show opaque, ghost like.

IMG_20141017_213610.jpg

AND...your screens and icon placements are saved!! No longer do you have to worry about rearranging icons!!

GOAT!

Haha, I'm watching a video by Phandroid on the Google restore feature and the guy showing it off was totally having a nerdgasm. Shit, I would be too due to the fact that it sets your icons to the way you left it on your old device.

MildSoss

Man, Android L looks gorgeous. Are any roots available for the Note 4 already? After using stock android on my Note 7 for a while now going back to Touch Wiz is pretty bad.

RuGalz

I'm not interested in the One Plus. I read of bugs with Cyanogenmod and I don't have time for that. Besides, I think the Note 4 display looks gorgeous. I thought it looked sharper than the S5 which BestBuy has for display in the Samsung section.

Samsung phones have plenty of bugs and you wait months to get fix because they go through the carriers.

You can even transfer you Google Profile to the new phone via NFC at the new setup ^^

After I did that there's a notification on the device I transferred from that cannot be dismissed until you tell it to ignore message that type altogether, pretty annoying.

I'm not interested in the One Plus. I read of bugs with Cyanogenmod and I don't have time for that. Besides, I think the Note 4 display looks gorgeous. I thought it looked sharper than the S5 which BestBuy has for display in the Samsung section.

The Note 4 screen does look really nice. I love how vivid amoled is. It looks nicer than my OPO screen. The problem is you usually get burn in on the status bar.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is the flash images updated for N4 as well? Or only N5/7?

I really want to check it out.

Only N5/N7 for now, sorry. Unless someone ports the preview to the N4 you're gonna have to wait until it's officially released in mid-November or so.

Wow! Love how it asked me from which device back up I wanted to restore my "new" phone from.

That...and how the not yet installed apps on your homescreens show opaque, ghost like.

IMG_20141017_213610.jpg

AND...your screens and icon placements are saved!! No longer do you have to worry about rearranging icons!!

GOAT!

Pretty great (although I personally decided not to restore my old phone - which is the same phone - and instead start fresh).

But hey, here's a tip: Volume Down + Power = screenshot.

SimleuqiR

Only N5/N7 for now, sorry. Unless someone ports the preview to the N4 you're gonna have to wait until it's officially released in mid-November or so.

Pretty great (although I personally decided to not restore my old phone - which is the same phone - and instead start fresh).

But hey, here's a tip: Volume Down + Power takes screenshots.

Didn't want to bother with a screen shot. The phone was too busy downloading all my 150+ apps...stuttering like creasing when I try to browse the web.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Didn't want to bother with a screen shot. The phone was too busy downloading all my 150+ apps...stuttering like creasing when I try to browse the web.

Ah, ok. Yeah, that happens when all that restoring shit is going down. But it's pretty damn smooth once that's done!

SimleuqiR

Haha, I'm watching a video by Phandroid on the Google restore feature and the guy showing it off was totally having a nerdgasm. Shit, I would be too due to the fact that it sets your icons to the way you left it on your old device.

This is a nice feature, specially for those of you (modders) that are constantly changing ROMs.

JoeFu

Banned
Lol the flappy bird easter egg. On par with the nyancat one I think. Maybe even better since it's interactive.

IMG_20141017_213610.jpg

GOAT!

HNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG Google delivering.

Android L is so sexy like Ugh. The material design makes Kit Katy feel like shit. It's so beautiful!!!

Vyer

IMG_20141017_213610.jpg

GOAT!

All of that has been the iOS restore for a while, except the 'ghosting', which sounds cool. It's a great feature when moving to a new device.

Iacobellis

Android never had a backup restore feature like this before?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Android never had a backup restore feature like this before?

It has had backup/restore for quite some time, but previously you could either restore everything on your account or nothing at all when setting up a new device. Now they've made it a lot more granular, letting you choose from which previous device to restore, and even which individual apps you want back. Might actually use this now, I never liked the "restore EVERYTHING" deal.

Anyone using the lollipop preview know if the camera has a 3:2 option?

Just 4:3 and 16:9 at various resolutions, I'm afraid. This is on the N5.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No. There were ways to back up your files and games but nothing this seamless. The tap and go feature requires NFC and not all phones support it. I can't do it because my phone does not support it.

Well, that's just an easier way to restore from a specific device that you still own. You can still do the same thing manually.

Ceebs

Flashed the Dev build to my Nexus 5 to check it out.

Stumbled on to an android lollipop themed flappy bird easter egg.

Well, I thought I had the flashing figured out, but after I began flashing, I got errors about the archive not containing boot.sig and recovery.sig. Did a Google search which said I should be able to ignore them, but the entire process stopped and didn't go any further.

Well, I thought I had the flashing figured out, but after I began flashing, I got errors about the archive not containing boot.sig and recovery.sig. Did a Google search which said I should be able to ignore them, but the entire process stopped and didn't go any further.

Strange. It normally stalls there for a bit and then resumes.

The gallery app is unchanged. Arrgh...

Sch1sm

I'm loving this on my Nexus 5 already. No troubles yet. Clean design. Really loving the fact that there's notifications on the lock screen via native settings rather than using something via root or a limited app through Google Play Store. Still familiar, which I love. I'll never understand the Flappy Bird easter egg deal, though.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
The Note 4 screen does look really nice. I love how vivid amoled is. It looks nicer than my OPO screen. The problem is you usually get burn in on the status bar.

Good god. Stop spreading misinformation. AMOLED burn-in has been a thing of the past for a few years now.

Shit, Lollipop looks so beautiful.

I'm now holding back any intent of buying any Android devices until I see how OEMs are going to bastardise their version of Lollipop.

Esqueleto

Banned
does flashing erase data i.e. music, texts, etc.?

Yes but you can skip the wipe by deleting the -w from the script. I flashed from the first preview to the new one without wiping and haven't had any problems on my n5. I don't know if it causes any problems coming from KK.

I wasn't convinced with Material Design before, but it looks like it's gonna best IOS8. I just got an iphone 6 as a secondary phone and IOS8 just feels clunky, even compared to KitKat. Lollipop should obliterate it for me. Can't wait.

GOAT!

Yes! This always annoyed me whenever I has to replace my Nexus 5.

Mayyhem

Do you guys think if I order a Nexus 5 off Google Play right now that it will arrive by the time Nexus 5 has Lollipop?

scently

Yes but you can skip the wipe by deleting the -w from the script. I flashed from the first preview to the new one without wiping and haven't had any problems on my n5. I don't know if it causes any problems coming from KK.

I am sorry if this should be obvious but how do you remove the -w from script?

iavi

Do you guys think if I order a Nexus 5 off Google Play right now that it will arrive by the time Nexus 5 has Lollipop?

Chances are super high it won't have lollipop. Old stock, and Lollipop's looking like a Nov official launch, if the Tmobile Nov date for the N6 release is right.

I am sorry if this should be obvious but how do you remove the -w from script?

Open flash-all.sh in a text editor and delete the part that says -w.

I didn't have any problem when I did this to go from 4.4.x to 4.4.4, but I just did this and it still formatted my nexus 7 so...

But I think other people have done it without losing their data so maybe I'm just an idiot.

SuperSU not working is kind of a bummer, the only program I use that needs root is rootdim, but I really need that to use my tablet at night.

Top Bottom