• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Phoenix

What? I've never, ever seen Hangouts pull in old texts, just Hangouts messages. Nor have I ever heard about that being a feature. And I've wanted SMS backup/syncing for a long time. I use SMS Backup & Restore to do it manually.

Are you saying this is a new thing in L, or...? Or that it's a new Hangouts feature? I would love it to be true, but I've never seen it.

Well.... here is something weird about that subject. I use Hangouts as my SMS client on my phone. When I made the recent update to the latest build all of the messages were deleted from my phone (some of which I desperately needed). However, the SMSes were available on my Google Voice account in the web portal. They didn't come back down to the phone (strangely enough), but I wasn't expecting that those messages were anywhere else either. That they were being preserved on Google Voice ended up being an absolute life saver!!!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well.... here is something weird about that subject. I use Hangouts as my SMS client on my phone. When I made the recent update to the latest build all of the messages were deleted from my phone (some of which I desperately needed). However, the SMSes were available on my Google Voice account in the web portal. They didn't come back down to the phone (strangely enough), but I wasn't expecting that those messages were anywhere else either. That they were being preserved on Google Voice ended up being an absolute life saver!!!

But were those GVoice SMSes or regular ones through your carrier?

Either way, GVoice is US-only.

-PXG-

Not sure if I want to know. Why do people want to get rid of lock screen cover art, anyway?

It's like options and customization is a bad thing...

Xposed is big thing for me. Gravity Box alone is worth it. I want to use GEL especially now that I'm running lollipop. But I hate the lack of functionality. XGEL is a module with a companion app that adds tons of customization to GEL, including custom icons, grid resizing and many more.

I'm stuck still using Apex (and not having new a visuals for my app drawer) until Xposed is ported over. That or I could use GEL but deal with having no functionality

Sch1sm

It's like options and customization is a bad thing...

Xposed is big thing for me. Gravity Box alone is worth it. I want to use GEL especially now that I'm running lollipop. But I hate the lack of functionality. XGEL is a module with a companion app that adds tons of customization to GEL, including custom icons, grid resizing and many more.

I'm stuck still using Apex (and not having new a visuals for my app drawer) until Xposed is ported over. That or I could use GEL but deal with having no functionality

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm just curious. It's one thing a lot of users like, but the one that a few people have mentioned/complained of so far. I used Xposed + Gravity Box on 4.4.4 w/ Franco Kernel, I was liberal with my own N5.

kehs

Banned

You're the second person I hear mention this.

Looks like they're slowly rolling it out. Where you on kk or l?

Sch1sm

I'll try Lollipop out then. But 4.4.4 actually fucked the battery and it drained so much faster than 4.4.2. Enough that it was worth it to downgrade despite losing all of my data.

Lollipop doesn't have huge battery gains on my N5. And honestly, right now, there is the occasional random Misc drain (that will be solved by final L). Fair warning. It's not terrible, I still manage 10-12 hours with my power use. But it isn't nearly as bad as KK. Go for it! They're rolling out more Material Design.

Dawg

My current version is draining my Nexus 5 like there's no tomorrow.

Hope Lollipop improves this. Any word on the release for regular users? Don't really want to go through the developer stuff.

Shouta

My current version is draining my Nexus 5 like there's no tomorrow.

Hope Lollipop improves this. Any word on the release for regular users? Don't really want to go through the developer stuff.

if it's 4.4.3 or 4.4.4 that's probably draining your battery badly. 4.4.2 is the version that doesn't drain like a hog when you're not using it.

if it's 4.4.3 or 4.4.4 that's probably draining your battery badly. 4.4.2 is the version that doesn't drain like a hog when you're not using it.

I can't wait till lollipop then. I'm on 4.4.4 and the battery life is just abysmal. I almost miss my Galaxy S2's replaceable battery...too bad Samsung has to include so much bloatware in their phones

NotBacon

Lollipop preview doesn't have huge battery gains on my N5. And honestly, right now, there is the occasional random Misc drain (that will be solved by final L). Fair warning. It's not terrible, I still manage 10-12 hours with my power use. But it isn't nearly as bad as KK. Go for it! They're rolling out more Material Design.

ftfy

Dawg

Mid-November.

I can't wait till lollipop then. I'm on 4.4.4 and the battery life is just abysmal. I almost miss my Galaxy S2's replaceable battery...too bad Samsung has to include so much bloatware in their phones

I bought my Nexus 5 early 2014, it was doing pretty ok the first week or so. I think I updated the device then and it's been doing pretty bad ever since.

Some examples:

B0fjMTyIEAEBQNY.jpg:large
B0fjNRlIcAEgCqD.jpg:large

B0fjNAKIgAARtJY.jpg:large

Just look at this. Before you say "but 11 hours isn't that bad", if you look at the history... you can see I was sleeping about 8 of those 11 hours. So the device wasn't awake then.

Pretty awful. And yes, I've tried all the battery saving options out there, including reduced brightness and whatnot.

Sch1sm

Notice how I continued on to say FINAL L WILL. :p

Just look at this. Before you say "but 11 hours isn't that bad", if you look at the history... you can see I was sleeping about 8 of those 11 hours. So the device wasn't awake then.

Pretty awful. And yes, I've tried all the battery saving options out there, including reduced brightness and whatnot.

Ever tried Greenify?

Shouta

I bought my Nexus 5 early 2014, it was doing pretty ok the first week or so. I think I updated the device then and it's been doing pretty bad ever since.

Some examples:

It's definitely the firmware. I'd just need a screen shot showing your version to confirm, lol. They screwed up something with the wifi and if you turn it off while it's not in use, it should help prevent the battery draining like crazy, I think. That's as far as I know anyway. I just downgraded because I didn't want to have to manually turn it on when I wanted to use it, especially when it shouldn't have been broken in the first place.

Dawg

It's definitely the firmware. I'd just need a screen shot showing your version to confirm, lol. They screwed up something with the wifi and if you turn it off while it's not in use, it should help prevent the battery draining like crazy, I think. That's as far as I know anyway. I just downgraded because I didn't want to have to manually turn it on when I wanted to use it, especially when it shouldn't have been broken in the first place.

And you shouldn't need to. Lollipop should solve any battery problems. Period.

I always turn off my Wifi and mobile internet if I'm not using it, so it can't be that. And yes, I'm using 4.4.4.

Looking forward to Lollipop in any case.

Nicktendo86

I always turn off my Wifi and mobile internet if I'm not using it, so it can't be that. And yes, I'm using 4.4.4.

You are best leaving WiFi on to be honest, tuening it off and on uses more battery.

Shouta

Well, it's definitely 4.4.4 that's being shitty for ya. At least I know that. =P

SimleuqiR

Here is my battery 10/19/14, 11:13 AM. I had remove the phone for the Qi at around 7 AM

Screenshot_2014-10-19-11-13-31.png
Screenshot_2014-10-19-11-13-42.png

Notice the insane battery drain due to the Misc Bug. By 11 am I had only 66% battery life left. I barely used the phone.

Monday I had a much better battery day. After removing the phone from the Qi charger at around 8 AM I did not get the Misc Bug issue until around 6 PM. My nephew took my phone to watch about 10 minutes of cartoons through the PBS app. After that the Misc Bug re-appeard

Here is the battery status on 10/20/14, 6:45 PM

Screenshot_2014-10-20-18-45-09.png

I actually had about 75% battery life before the MISC bug reappeared. It was insane. Never had that much life left on my phone by 6 PM.

@ 6:45 I had approx. 20 hours left of battery life.
by 10:15 (not even 4 hours) that had shrunk down to 5 hours left

Screenshot_2014-10-20-22-18-46.png

Misc 34%
Screen 11%

Here is the time on the Screen
Screenshot_2014-10-20-22-18-50.png

I'm going to extrapolate and say that you could easily get 3 hour of on screen time and still get 24 hour battery life (or close) with "L" on the Nexus 5. IF and only IF this Misc power usage is some sort of bug that is draining the battery and not a mis-labeling of what is really chewing up the power. My fear is that this is still could be Google Play Services just wreaking havoc on the battery and "L" isn't labeling it that way.

Here is an hour later. Went from 5 hours left to 3 hrs.

Screenshot_2014-10-20-23-12-10.png
Screenshot_2014-10-20-23-12-23.png

NotBacon

Lollipop won't solve wake lock issues, which is what greenify prevents.

The biggest internal project with Lollipop was Project Volta. As part of the project, they created the Job Scheduler API to consolidate asynchronous jobs.
Even more, they created Battery Historian(to be paired with dumpsys batterystats) to give a rich visualization of wakelocks and things that could be made asynchronous.

I see no reason for them not to utilize the fruits of their labor.

The biggest internal project with Lollipop was Project Volta. As part of the project, they created the Job Scheduler API to consolidate asynchronous jobs.
Even more, they created Battery Historian(to be paired with dumpsys batterystats) to give a rich visualization of wakelocks and things that could be made asynchronous.

I see no reason for them not to utilize the fruits of their labor.

Most wakelocks are caused by programs pushing notifications to you and constantly checking for updates. I don't see how this will be prevented by Android at a system level. This project sounds more like it is up to the developer to decide if they choose to use that api or not.

Majine

Banned
I'm kinda new to android: I have the L preview, will it tell me when the GM or whatever goes live or will I need to hunt that down myself?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Got the Nexus 5. This thing is a big leap from an S3. Pumped for 5.0.

Separate question; Can I take the Sim out of my S3 and put in the Nexus 5? I can't see where the sim is without taking the S3 apart but this phone didn't come with a Sim. How much would a Sim be anyways?

NotBacon

Most wakelocks are caused by programs pushing notifications to you and constantly checking for updates. I don't see how this will be prevented by Android at a system level. This project sounds more like it is up to the developer to decide if they choose to use that api or not.

It is. And most competent developers will. Including Google themselves....

These tools gave them a fine-tuned look at battery statistics. You can bet they're using this new knowledge for tweaking the system and few dozen Google apps on your phone. Hence the awesome battery life people are seeing when they don't have the Misc bug.

It is. And most competent developers will. Including Google themselves....

These tools gave them a fine-tuned look at battery statistics. You can bet they're using this new knowledge for tweaking the system and few dozen Google apps on your phone. Hence the awesome battery life people are seeing when they don't have the Misc bug.

This will help with google apps for sure, but apps that spam you with notifications and other online checks and things won't be changed, because the developer won't want them to be.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I really like the new screen-off animation. It looks really cool, like the UI is sinking away from you into the screen. Android Police has gifs. Unfortunately I don't get to see it much on my phone, since I use a case/cover with a lid that automatically locks the screen when I close it. But still.

Here is my battery 10/19/14, 11:13 AM. I had remove the phone for the Qi at around 7 AM

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...34-h593-no/Screenshot_2014-10-19-11-13-42.png

Notice the insane battery drain due to the Misc Bug. By 11 am I had only 66% battery life left. I barely used the phone.

Monday I had a much better battery day. After removing the phone from the Qi charger at around 8 AM I did not get the Misc Bug issue until around 6 PM. My nephew took my phone to watch about 10 minutes of cartoons through the PBS app. After that the Misc Bug re-appeard

Here is the battery status on 10/20/14, 6:45 PM

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...34-h593-no/Screenshot_2014-10-20-18-45-09.png

I actually had about 75% battery life before the MISC bug reappeared. It was insane. Never had that much life left on my phone by 6 PM.

@ 6:45 I had approx. 20 hours left of battery life.
by 10:15 (not even 4 hours) that had shrunk down to 5 hours left

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...34-h593-no/Screenshot_2014-10-20-22-18-46.png

Misc 34%
Screen 11%

Here is the time on the Screen
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...34-h593-no/Screenshot_2014-10-20-22-18-50.png

I'm going to extrapolate and say that you could easily get 3 hour of on screen time and still get 24 hour battery life (or close) with "L" on the Nexus 5. IF and only IF this Misc power usage is some sort of bug that is draining the battery and not a mis-labeling of what is really chewing up the power. My fear is that this is still could be Google Play Services just wreaking havoc on the battery and "L" isn't labeling it that way.

Here is an hour later. Went from 5 hours left to 3 hrs.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...34-h593-no/Screenshot_2014-10-20-23-12-23.png

Yeah, there's some weird stuff going on with the Misc usage. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not, and it seems like it can significantly affect your battery life. I haven't seen anything as bad as your results though. Have you tried turning NFC off? I don't know why that would cause such issues, but some people have suggested there might be some bug there, so I turned it off. And well, the other day I got around 5 hours of screen-on time out of my N5, with the brightness set to pretty much the default (adaptive brightness on, slider at around 50%). And right now I'm at 3h 15m of screen-on time with 46% battery remaining, so that's heading for around 6 hours if it stays on course. That's with mainly just Chrome usage and some other light stuff though, no video playback or games or anything. But still, that's waaaay better than one could ever hope for with 4.4.4. So once this Misc bug gets fixed (which it apparently already has in internal builds) things could be looking pretty good.

I'm kinda new to android: I have the L preview, will it tell me when the GM or whatever goes live or will I need to hunt that down myself?

The preview won't update to the final version, no. Once it's available, you'll have to flash your phone again. The image will be made available here.

Was hoping for a comeback :(

Why? I don't even remember the last time I ran into a site where I couldn't play a video or whatever because my phone doesn't have Flash. All decent sites provide HTML5 video these days.

How much space does it take? 4.4.3 takes about 2.5gb out of the box

Usable storage on a 16 GB (which is 14.9 GiB in reality, of course) N5 is 12.55 GiB. So, the OS takes around 2.35 GiB. (How I wish the GB/GiB stupidity and confusion would end.)

Sch1sm

Got the Nexus 5. This thing is a big leap from an S3. Pumped for 5.0.

Separate question; Can I take the Sim out of my S3 and put in the Nexus 5? I can't see where the sim is without taking the S3 apart but this phone didn't come with a Sim. How much would a Sim be anyways?

You need a micro SIM for the N5 just like the GS3, so yeah. You can. A SIM is really never more than about $15.

Nicktendo86

No.

If WiFi is on, connected to a network or not, your phone is continuously emitting signals looking for networks. Huge battery drain to leave it on for no reason.

What kehs says.

My N7 seems to be lasting forever on the latest lollipop preview, was at 25% this morning after being on battery for about 2 days with screen on time of over 3 hours. Not bad at all!

SimleuqiR

So why is it that on my Nexus 5 I can only create Users and not Profiles.
On the Nexus 7 I can create both.

I need Profiles on my phone. Sometime I let my nephew play around with the phone. Unfortunately creating a user requires a Google account, at least if you need to download apps from the Play Store.

Or am I doing something wrong?

Going back to the Misc Battery Drain, this post from XDA explains what it might be, and it worries me:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=56187687&postcount=6753

My two cents on miscellaneous drain if anybody is interested or isn't quite understanding it:

You realise miscellaneous drain would be in KitKat too if it was measured right?
Nobody seems to understand what miscellaneous actually is.
Android 5.0 calculates how much drain your phone should be experiencing at any given time based on a multitude of factors then uses that data to predict when your battery will likely die, any drain that is observed over this prediction is listed as 'miscellaneous'.
Now the problem is nobody knows what google isn't accounting for that causes this drain and many put it down to 'incompatible apps' but I think that's a load of rubbish. In my opinion it would be things that google CAN'T predict, like bouts of low signal or an app deciding it wants to sync.

Point is the miscellaneous drain you are seeing isn't any extra drain per say, it's just drain that has always been there but that google can't predict and account for.

Basicly my Nexus will not get any better battery life on Lollipop that it did on KitKat. As some point in the day the OS checks battery levels and compensates for whatever battery usage it didn't log or was unable to identify. Then it subtracts from the remaining hours left and adds the Misc % to the stats.

Screenshot_2014-10-23-18-52-13.png
Less than 30 mintutes later -->
Screenshot_2014-10-23-19-20-30.png

About an hour later

Screenshot_2014-10-23-20-32-43.png

Half hour later

Screenshot_2014-10-23-21-01-41.png

Has anyone on Lollipop gotten over 24 hours of battery life on their 5?

Phoenix

Has anyone on Lollipop gotten over 24 hours of battery life on their 5?

Over 24 hours doing what?

I have noted a fairly substantial increase in battery life on my N5 and I do know that I set up mine to kick in to the super power saving mode at 5% too - and I've only seen it doing that once.

SimleuqiR

Over 24 hours doing what?

I have noted a fairly substantial increase in battery life on my N5 and I do know that I set up mine to kick in to the super power saving mode at 5% too - and I've only seen it doing that once.

24 hours of usage+stand-by. Basically if I believe what the phone told me today at around 6:30 PM, I should have gotten over 24 of battery life. Mind you I barely used my phone today. Barely went over an hour of OST.

There is definitely something wrong, and again it may or may not be "L".

Google has re-open the issue:

https://code.google.com/p/android-developer-preview/issues/detail?id=189

I'm glad I'm not the only one getting really crazy battery life throughout the day and then bam! - Misc crops up and starts killing the battery (or it appears to be doing so).

It's also possible this is a bug in Google Play Services.

Top Bottom