• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Sch1sm

Awyiss.
Hallelujah-GIF.gif

tfur

Yeah. The MISC draining thing was never a myth. More than 50% of my battery is eaten up by it, even when I barely touch the phone.

I wonder if I turn off wifi and just use the LTE will I get better battery life?

It's like something out of bizarro world.

get

I looks like I missed the bug altogether since I use Automagic Automation.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.gridvision.ppam.androidautomagic

It is a really cool automation tool, and can actually be sort of a fun game to play with these action flows etc.

I created an automatic wifi enable/disable based on location and volume levels. So, leaving work and normal volume disables. Going to a location, but lowering the volume below 2 (at an office for a meeting) enables wifi. Also, I have wifi at home turned on based on location.

Javaman

I looks like I missed the bug altogether since I use Automagic Automation.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.gridvision.ppam.androidautomagic

It is a really cool automation tool, and can actually be sort of a fun game to play with these action flows etc.

I created an automatic wifi enable/disable based on location and volume levels. So, leaving work and normal volume disables. Going to a location, but lowering the volume below 2 (at an office for a meeting) enables wifi. Also, I have wifi at home turned on based on location.

Doesn't having GPS on constantly use far more battery than just leaving WiFi on?

tfur

Doesn't having GPS on constantly use far more battery than just leaving WiFi on?

I have never noticed. You could have it turn on/off gps. It lets you use an assortment of location sources. It can also be set how periodic the location is tested. Also, there are logic tests for "if leaving area" or "if entering area" etc. Also, you define the area "bubble" size.

So, you can do things like: if entering area and during work hours, check for my work wifi ssid, if found turn on wifi and adjust ringer volume to level 2. Then after work, when leaving or no longer in area, turn ringer volume back up, turn off wifi etc.

having GPS enabled doesn't just magically drain battery. it has to actually be in use, like when an app requests location data.

Don't some Google apps always try and use it though? Google Services or something along those lines drained the hell out of my battery when I left GPS on for a few weeks and I was too stupid to figure out what was doing it.

Veal

Has there been any word about fixing bluetooth lag issues? The implementation in android has been terrible as of late. Try playing any game with a bluetooth controller and you'll see immediately what I mean.

Sch1sm

So, holy shit how bad is hangouts on tablets? What were they thinking. Ecosystem: 6.

It could be so much better on cells, as well. I'm not a huge fan of it myself, but I haven't jumped ship to another messaging app because I use hangouts.
That might be why they gave up and introduced a new messaging app for Lollipop, though, idk.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
i love the new messaging app. I love how ever conversation gets a different color.
Does it still require data to send pics or can I use hangouts messages and SMS style messages as merged via Hangouts?

The most annoying thing was needing a days plan to send pics to SMS when I could it before I had a carrier and just sent hangouts messages to friend/family cells.

I just read that the Android 5 update is available for Moto X Pure Edition.

What is the Pure Edition? I look at my model number and it just says "Moto X (2nd Generation)".

My phone is unlocked and was bought in the UK.

Is it safe to install Android 5, or is my phone not a "Pure Edition"?

Zoned

Actively hates charity
I just read that the Android 5 update is available for Moto X Pure Edition.

What is the Pure Edition? I look at my model number and it just says "Moto X (2nd Generation)".

My phone is unlocked and was bought in the UK.

Is it safe to install Android 5, or is my phone not a "Pure Edition"?
If your phone is unlocked, unbranded without any affiliation to a carrier then go ahead.

Ashes

Banned
Does the new messaging app have private messages as a feature? Ability to block numbers? Spam report feature?

DrFurbs

Yeah but the nexus line is SUPPOSED to get the updates first. Its one of the reasons I bought into the nexus line. I guess it'll come when it comes.

BIGWORM

TMO users have to wait another week to get a subsidized Nexus 6. I was gonna be first in line for tomorrow, too. =(

gcubed

Yeah but the nexus line is SUPPOSED to get the updates first. Its one of the reasons I bought into the nexus line. I guess it'll come when it comes.

The G, if it really is rolling out, is the first device to get it, but the N7 2012 update just leaked, i'd assume the others will be released tomorrow.

The Pure Moto X wasn't released, it was a soak test, and it was an older build

Hey guys I'm having a problem since I downloaded the Hangouts dialer. Now when people call my carrier number and I decline, it will then go to ring in my Hangouts dialer and I have to decline again. Anything I can do about that?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Hey guys I'm having a problem since I downloaded the Hangouts dialer. Now when people call my carrier number and I decline, it will then go to ring in my Hangouts dialer and I have to decline again. Anything I can do about that?

Are you using google voice to accomplish this?

Edit: regardless, you will probably have to disable ringing to hangouts to get rid of the double-phone/hangouts ring.

I can't say this for sure, and this is a pure guess.

But do you have your Google Voice set up so that it rings your carrier number? Because what might be happening is, someone calls your Google Voice number, and GV rings your mobile phone and your Hangouts at the same time. The mobile will ring first and you decline, but your Hangouts is still ringing.

Are you using google voice to accomplish this?

Edit: regardless, you will probably have to disable ringing to hangouts to get rid of the double-phone/hangouts ring.

I guess I'll have to disable ringing then. And to the other poster, no, it doesn't happen when people call my G number, just carrier number. Weird.

Top Bottom