• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Sch1sm

24 hours of usage+stand-by. Basically if I believe what the phone told me today at around 6:30 PM, I should have gotten over 24 of battery life. Mind you I barely used my phone today. Barely went over an hour of OST.

There is definitely something wrong, and again it may or may not be "L".

Google has re-open the issue:

https://code.google.com/p/android-developer-preview/issues/detail?id=189

I'm glad I'm not the only one getting really crazy battery life throughout the day and then bam! - Misc crops up and starts killing the battery (or it appears to be doing so).

It's also possible this is a bug in Google Play Services.

This misc thing is completely wrecking me. I have to throw my charger in my bag on longer days now - never had this large an issue with KitKat unless the mm-qcamera-daemon came up, rare as that was. Problem will probably be obliterated by final. Or I pray it is, anyway, for the sake of my sanity.

SimleuqiR

Looks lile SmartLock does Not Support trusted WiFi Networks

We’re making it easier than ever with Smart Lock, which lets you tell your phone to unlock using Bluetooth pairing, NFC, or simply your smile—faster than before. Plus, you can allow certain notifications to be accessible from the lock screen, helping you quickly get at the information you need while still keeping your device protected.

http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2014/10/a-sweet-lollipop-with-kevlar-wrapping.html?m=1

I remember someone saying that it my make it to the final build. But that will not be the case.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english

northead

I don't know whether this has been posted already, but it's definitely worth sharing. The improvement is nothing short of insane.
Between this and Project Volta, I'm closer and closer to think that the Moto X will get a HUGE boost by only updating to Lollipop, basically becoming the smaller Nexus.

http://goo.gl/UKmd90 (via Forbes)

I'm now thinking that I probably should've posted this here rather than in the Nexus' thread, but oh well.
I beg you all pardon.

I'm now thinking that I probably should've posted this here rather than in the Nexus' thread, but oh well.
I beg you all pardon.
And how much do you think the battery life will improve by? At the end of the day, it's still a 2300 mAh battery. Other phones will also increase as well.

northead

And how much do you think the battery life will improve by? At the end of the day, it's still a 2300 mAh battery. Other phones will also increase as well.

The only thing I know is that, with a mere first developer preview, my Nexus 5 had suddenly got muuuch better.
And that was June.
Sure, a 2300mAh won't make any miracles, but it should bring almost everyone to the end of the day without much trouble.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014...ta-we-put-android-l-through-our-battery-test/

Goodlife

I installed the "developers preview" or whatever it's called, on my N5.
Anyone know what happens when the official update comes out? Am I able to update over my phone as normal, or do I have to put it back to kit Kat then wait for the update...

kehs

Banned
I installed the "developers preview" or whatever it's called, on my N5.
Anyone know what happens when the official update comes out? Am I able to update over my phone as normal, or do I have to put it back to kit Kat then wait for the update...

When the official updates comes out, just do the same thing you did for the preview. Flash the images they put up. You can't update from the preview -> official.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
When the official updates comes out, just do the same thing you did for the preview. Flash the images they put up. You can't update from the preview -> official.

Will that wipe data? I'm holding off on starting a game I've just bought because I don't want to have to start over when the official 5.0 drops for my N7.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I got my Zerolemon 3500mAh battery case about a week ago. It's amazing and does exactly what I want it to do. Even if 5.0 does great things for battery life on Mt N5, I am glad I got this thing. It's non intrusive and adds almost the right amount of weight to make the phone feel nice. Even comes with a built in screen protector that works great even with a protector already installed on this phone.

NotBacon

I got my Zerolemon 3500mAh battery case about a week ago. It's amazing and does exactly what I want it to do. Even if 5.0 does great things for battery life on Mt N5, I am glad I got this thing. It's non intrusive and adds almost the right amount of weight to make the phone feel nice. Even comes with a built in screen protector that works great even with a protector already installed on this phone.

2 screen protectors? Dude...

Just got the order confirmation on my Xperia Z3 tablet compact. Can't wait, should have it by Saturday.
Hopefully I won't have to wait too long for the 5.0 update.

My S4 got an update yesterday via at&t and I was happy thinking it was 5.0. Lo and behold nothing changed at all... I need to keep myself informed with Android news more :*(.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Good that they're fixing bugs like that. I love the battery life on my Moto G on 4.4.4. It's a vast improvement over my old Lumia 920's. That thing died at least once a day, I haven't even had my Moto die on me at all and I'm using it more than the Lumia. I'd be devastated if my battery life went down the drain.

DarkFlow

Banned
My S4 got an update yesterday via at&t and I was happy thinking it was 5.0. Lo and behold nothing changed at all... I need to keep myself informed with Android news more :*(.

Samsung won't release 5.0 till well into 2015. Like June at the earliest I'm guessing.

SimleuqiR

A battery draining WiFi bug could be what’s holding up the Android 5.0 Lollipop rollout

http://phandroid.com/2014/11/05/battery-draining-wifi-bug-could-be-delaying-android-50-lollipop/

Yeah. The MISC draining thing was never a myth. More than 50% of my battery is eaten up by it, even when I barely touch the phone.

I wonder if I turn off wifi and just use the LTE will I get better battery life?

It's like something out of bizarro world.

get

Top Bottom