• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Hydrargyrus

I'm assuming "rollout" means a slow one. Guessing their not just flipping some switch and then, bam, Android 5.0 is getting pushed to all Nexus devices all at once!

I thought it was like with Apple: they say one date and it's for all.

I should stop checking for the system updates then...

-Horizon-

I keep checking for updates on my N5 every like 5 minutes to no avail. It's gonna be a loooong week.

FTFY

Last time I waited for Jelly Bean it took maybe 3 days after initial roll out. Kit Kat was around the same wait time.

Of course YMMV.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just wait, geez. Acting like your lives are at stake if you don't check for the update.

kris.

Banned
I just tried checking my N7. Hit the power button, static screen. What the fuck.

Edit: And now it won't start at all. Goddammit. This is the second N7 I've had shit out on me in a month. ASUS is about to get an angry call.

I've heard Google does staged roll outs for system updates to catch bugs and stuff, so it won't go live for everyone instantly.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If any of you want to come join and share your joys and pains about the Android L roll out and the Nexus 6 & 9 launches in the Android GAF hangout just shoot one of us regulars a PM.

FaintDeftone

Just played with it on my N7 for a bit. I'm pretty impressed with it. I love the animations and the new Settings menu is much nicer to navigate. The lock screen notifications were a long time coming. Everything seems much smoother than 4.4.4 on my aging 2012 N7. Consider me a fan.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just charging up my phone (N5) a bit, then I'll be flashing! I'm on the 5.0 preview (which is why I have to flash and can't wait for the OTA - although I probably would have flashed anyway, to get a fresh start with Lollipop), so it's not exactly gonna be all that new to me, but it still feels good to finally get the release build. I have no problem wiping my phone, as just about the only thing that doesn't get synced to the cloud is SMS messages, and I just use SMS Backup & Restore for that. Has always worked well. The only other thing is game saves I guess, but eh. Everything else Google syncs for me (which they should be doing with SMS messages too dammit).

I've got no problem doing it, it needs it anyways. Plus I always prefer to start fresh when upgrades like this happen.

Yeah, I always do that with major version updates. Feels better to start fresh without any old leftover data. I don't even like restoring my phone from my Google account, I prefer setting it up manually again. Doesn't take very long anyway. I like the feeling of a "new" phone, software-wise.

FaintDeftone

Actually, I stand corrected. Lollipop is pretty sluggish on the N7 2012 too. Maybe it'll improve after it stops auto downloading all of my apps and shit, but I've definitely ran into performance problems.

I think this tablet has about had it. May have to wait until the next round of Galaxy tabs have Lollipop and upgrade.

BrettWeir

Sorry, not going to read through all of the pages......but has lollipop actually become a smooth experience? I've been on Android for 5 years, and am finally fed up with the jankiness of the UI. I currently have a S4 and a Nexus 7, and have grown tired of the stalls within the UI (rotation, scrolling, swiping, etc).

We're about to get new phones (Black Friday), and seriously considering ditching Android altogether, just to get a better UI experience.

Saro

Woo my Moto G 2nd gen is updating as we speak( though I'm a bit bummed as the 4g model is rumored to have a 64bit processor and 4g of course).

SimleuqiR

Actually, I stand corrected. Lollipop is pretty sluggish on the N7 2012 too. Maybe it'll improve after it stops auto downloading all of my apps and shit, but I've definitely ran into performance problems.

I think this tablet has about had it. May have to wait until the next round of Galaxy tabs have Lollipop and upgrade.

You could have the latest and greatest and this will still happens when you are downloading and installing 100+ apps. The OS takes a pounding.

Top Bottom