• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Spaulding

Just flashed my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 (2012 WiFi). Feels good.

Wasn't there supposed to be a new messaging app (for SMS, ...). Can't seem to find it...

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Checked my Nexus 5 and 7 2013 (wifi).

Fuck all.

The OTA process is quite slow, they start with only 1% of all devices over the first two days or so, then 25% of devices over a few more, then 50% and so on, so even after the process has started it can take up to 2 weeks to get the OTA update.

Also, there's no point checking more than once a day for it, the "check for updates" button only actually checks once in a 24 hour period, and other checks are then cached and will return the same result as the first until the next day.

You may as well flash the factory image now it's available.

Nexus 4 has yet to receive it. Something fierce.

The Nexus 4 OTA for Lollipop hasn't started yet.

I have the preview version of Lollipop on my Nexus 7, the one just prior to the official release. Will I be able to upgrade via the Settings menu, or will I have to reflash the tablet, since it was a preview release?

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I have the preview version of Lollipop on my Nexus 7, the one just prior to the official release. Will I be able to upgrade via the Settings menu, or will I have to reflash the tablet, since it was a preview release?

You'll need to re-flash, those on preview won't get an OTA update.

Rootbeer

Banned
I just finished flashing my N5 to stock 5.0. Fuck all the waiting for OTA nonsense. If Apple can launch on everything in one day Google should be able to as well, especially since most Android phones use custom versions they really only have to worry about distributing to Nexus devices and a few other vanillas out there. The burden is probably very small compared to what Apple deals with.

Osiris

Any approximate date we can get it? The OTA update, not the factory image.

The only approximation so far is "next few weeks", it can take anywhere from one day to two weeks once the rollout starts.

Polari

Got in on my Nexus 5 now. Overall it's definitely a huge leap forward - far more vibrant and usable than anything that's come before.

That said it's still very much a ".0" product. Wiping the slate clean means there is plenty of room for refinements. On a more technical side, some weird little lags and glitches persist and there are a number of layout issues.

The OTA process is quite slow, they start with only 1% of all devices over the first two days or so, then 25% of devices over a few more, then 50% and so on, so even after the process has started it can take up to 2 weeks to get the OTA update.

Also, there's no point checking more than once a day for it, the "check for updates" button only actually checks once in a 24 hour period, and other checks are then cached and will return the same result as the first until the next day.

You may as well flash the factory image now it's available.

Ah thanks for that bit of info. I didn't know how slow the rollout was. I don't check all the time, just this morning after hearing it's rolling out now.

Does the facory image wipe the device?

The only approximation so far is "next few weeks", it can take anywhere from one day to two weeks once the rollout starts.

Curse you Google. Have all that money and still can't match Apple in software updates. I'm being bitter because I'm a child in a sweet shop and want everything now!

Osiris

Ah thanks for that bit of info. I didn't know how slow the rollout was. I don't check all the time, just this morning after hearing it's rolling out now.

Does the facory image wipe the device?

Yeah it does, although there are methods for flashing without wiping (modifing the flash-all.bat) I wouldn't recommend it as people have reported mixed results from doing so, especially as so much has changed under the hood (ART etc.)

Argyle

Yeah it does, although there are methods for flashing without wiping (modifing the flash-all.bat) I wouldn't recommend it as people have reported mixed results from doing so, especially as so much has changed under the hood (ART etc.)

I wouldn't worry about flashing without wiping, as long as you were already stock...unless you're paranoid enough to wipe before every OTA update, personally I don't have time to constantly set my devices up over and over...

JordanKZ

Curse you Google. Have all that money and still can't match Apple in software updates. I'm being bitter because I'm a child in a sweet shop and want everything now!

It's not about money, or bandwidth, or anything. They do it so that if a critical bug gets shipped, they only have to worry about a small fraction of users with the issue. It's completely logical.

If you want it right now, you can get the factory images, you can flash them to your phone and restore from the device profile during setup! :)

It's not about money, or bandwidth, or anything. They do it so that if a critical bug gets shipped, they only have to worry about a small fraction of users with the issue. It's completely logical.

If you want it right now, you can get the factory images, you can flash them to your phone and restore from the device profile during setup! :)

I understand the release plan entirely, but I still want to vent my frustration somewhere. I WANT IT NOW!!!

BrettWeir

If you want a silky smooth simple experience, get a Nexus or Moto.

If you want a not-so-smooth confusing experience, stick with Samsung devices.

On the Nexus 5 it's smooth as hell. I mean, so was KK, really, but L is even smoother. Very, very nice.

NO. Do not get a Samsung phone if UI smoothness is a priority. They bog their phones down something fierce with all their skinning and bloat. Get a Nexus 5/6 or a Moto X.

Thanks guys! Only reason I went with Samsung is due to Nexus devices not having a microSD slot. Guess I can't have my cake and eat it too. Then again, iPhones don't have a microSD either, so moot point.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Thanks guys! Only reason I went with Samsung is due to Nexus devices not having a microSD slot. Guess I can't have my cake and eat it too. Then again, iPhones don't have a microSD either, so moot point.
As someone who's had a microSD enabled s3 as well as my current phone, a nexus 5, I think I will stick with the Nexus 5. Although I wouldn't be as happy if I didn't have the 32 GB model vs the 16 GB. I'm perfectly content and still have around 22 GB left on my Nexus 5.

pestul

Anyone else find the new keyboard a little wonky? I find it far too easy to switch to special characters by accident..

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm spending way too much work backing up the data on my mother's Nexus 10 with CyanogenMod to install stock Lollipop.

First, I copied everything from internal storage to my PC (not exactly easy, thanks to MTP). Then I did a "nandroid" backup with the recovery. Both of those will allow me to revert back to KitKat exactly as it was in case I need to for some reason.

Now, in order to transfer some app data from KitKat to Lollipop after the wipe and install, I'm backing up several apps with Titanium Backup. After I install Lollipop, I'll have to root it to restore the backup. I'll also see about putting on Clockworkmod so that I can make another nandroid backup. I also backed up certain apps with Helium, just in case. (And on the plus side, Helium works without root.)

Is this the right thing to do, or is it simply overkill? Is there a simpler or better way of doing all of this that I might not know of?

Does she have any non-synced app data that's really important? Many times you can just manually backup that (such as game saves), although sometimes that's unfortunately not possible without root. Just about everything else should be synced to her Google account as long as syncing is turned on. Contacts, photos, etc, all that stuff should be in the cloud. And the phone automatically downloads the apps she had installed (and their data if they support that, which many unfortunately don't) if you tell it to. SMS messages are the exception, as those are not automatically synced (unless you use Google Voice for that). I use SMS Backup & Restore for that, works great.

So yeah, I'd say what you're doing is a bit overkill unless there's a really good reason why you're doing all that work. Nandroid backups are good to have if you're trying out a lot of custom ROMs and stuff and might need to revert to exactly how the phone was before, but for the normal user I don't see the need.

I wouldn't worry about flashing without wiping, as long as you were already stock...unless you're paranoid enough to wipe before every OTA update, personally I don't have time to constantly set my devices up over and over...

Flashing without wiping is a very common cause of issues that you just don't get if you do wipe, especially with major updates like this one. I wouldn't recommend it.

Adam Blue

Loving it on my OnePlus One. It automatically restored all my apps and settings, plus it makes signing in with 2-step auth much easier. Battery is great.

pestul

Just reading through some posts at XDA and it appears the Moto G 1st gen (2013) won't be getting the OTA until at least next week. It's just entering the 'soak' test before roll out now. The 2014 X and G could get the update as early as tomorrow. The internals on the 2013 G are identical to the 2014 save for the screensize, so it will probably leak for early flashers.

Put it on my 2013 Nexus 7 last night. It's beautiful. Feels like a brand new OS in many aspects.

Still patiently waiting for the OTA on my 2014 Moto X. :(

Jburton

Banned
Installed last night on my Nexus 5.

Rooted and custom recovery already installed.

Very slick, fast and stylish. Battery life improvements are insane.

jstripes

Banned

How do they determine which 1% get the update?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Loving it on my OnePlus One. It automatically restored all my apps and settings, plus it makes signing in with 2-step auth much easier. Battery is great.

Yeah, the new sign-in process is great. No more ugly web crap for 2FA, instead you get the options you need right there.

Honestly, I'm not sure which would effect my day-to-day more: Material Design or a mobile GAF overhaul.

What, is the latter happening? It should. The current design looks severely outdated. Let's get some Material goodness up in this bitch!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Downloading the Nexus 5 image now. I really want to see how much different it is from the preview build

It's not different at all on the surface, except that it comes with all the Google apps you'd expect. Maybe a bit smoother (which means it's really, really smooth).

andycapps

Coming from stock Android on my Nexus 7 2012, how would I flash without wiping?

So I'm on Straight Talk and Lollipop, MMS is not working. APN settings are from their website. Anyone else seeing MMS issues?

Edit: Nvm, fixed it.

Nokterian

How do i do a rooted update? I cannot wait for the update through the internet it is gonna takes weeks last time it also happend the same way. I have a Nexus 5. Also when i do that do i need to reinstall everything or not?

jesalr

How do i do a rooted update? I cannot wait for the update through the internet it is gonna takes weeks last time it also happend the same way. I have a Nexus 5. Also when i do that do i need to reinstall everything or not?

Look at my post above yours. There's a guide in there that will mean you don't need to wipe anything.

So yeah, I'd say what you're doing is a bit overkill unless there's a really good reason why you're doing all that work. Nandroid backups are good to have if you're trying out a lot of custom ROMs and stuff and might need to revert to exactly how the phone was before, but for the normal user I don't see the need.

There are a couple games she really wanted to keep her progress in, games which I don't know if they support sync or not. Like Plants vs Zombies 2, for example.

And I guess I'm used to doing all of this backing up because I do play around with custom ROMs a lot, but it's much more annoying to do this kind of backing up on devices lacking SD cards, or if you can't find an OTG cable. Moving large amounts of data around internal storage and over MTP isn't fun...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There are a couple games she really wanted to keep her progress in, games which I don't know if they support sync or not. Like Plants vs Zombies 2, for example.

And I guess I'm used to doing all of this backing up because I do play around with custom ROMs a lot, but it's much more annoying to do this kind of backing up on devices lacking SD cards, or if you can't find an OTG cable. Moving large amounts of data around internal storage and over MTP isn't fun...

For many games you can just grab their save data from Android/data/ and put it back in the same place after installing the game again, but yeah, sometimes that's not possible.

Top Bottom