• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Nicktendo86

I ran both previews on my nexus 7 and I must say the battery is pretty insane in the final release. 53% left after approx 25 hours, 1.5 hours screen on time and that is with the device installing all of my apps on initial boot up.

If you have to wipe anyway, why not just flash the factory image? Wouldn't you have to flash back to stock before even being able to flash the OTA zip? An OTA update updates an existing install, it doesn't create a brand new one (like a factory image does)... right?
Yes. That's what I've just learned now. =(

n0n44m

doing the adb sideload OTA for Nexus 7 2013 Wifi right now (http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/13/flash-all-the-things-lollipop-ota-update-zip-file-roundup/)

after wasting an hour let me give anyone else doing this for the first time (in a while) a heads up (Win8.1):

1) if the Android SDK Manager won't run, you need to install java
(doesn't say that, it just closes leaving you wondering WTF is going on)

After fixing that and correctly installing the SDK Tools, SDK Platform-tools & Google USB driver using the SDK manager, you might encounter the following issues

2) if the ADB command doesn't work in a command window, you need to add C:\Android\sdk\platform-tools and C:\Android\sdk\tools to the "PATH" variable in Windows Environment Variables
(why can't the SDK do this?)

3) if the ADB command now works but can't find your connected tablet/phone, the USB driver probably isn't installed correctly. I had to force install the USB driver in C:\Android\sdk\extras\google\usb_driver as "Android ADB Interface" (this was with the tablet connected in the "load update from ADB" mode)
(why is the Device ID when in fastboot not in the driver.inf?)

done after about 15 minutes? everything seems to work fine, no wipe needed obviously

Nero3000

Just sideloaded the OTA onto nexus 7 2012 - found it straight forward.

Bit slow at the moment, lets see if it gets better after initial use.

Jova094

Neo Member
So im trying to update with the Nexus Root Toolkit from cnet but i keep getting adb device not found. I followed all the instructions even then full driver configuration guide but still keep getting adb device not found. Does anyone know how to fix that?

BIGWORM

So im trying to update with the Nexus Root Toolkit from cnet but i keep getting adb device not found. I followed all the instructions even then full driver configuration guide but still keep getting adb device not found. Does anyone know how to fix that?

adb remount

Phoenix

I ran both previews on my nexus 7 and I must say the battery is pretty insane in the final release. 53% left after approx 25 hours, 1.5 hours screen on time and that is with the device installing all of my apps on initial boot up.

Yeah. Even in the earlier previews my Nexus5 was doing substantially better than 4.x, and after the final it improved even more. Battery life is so incredibly improved that its like installing a brand new (and better) battery into the device.

NotBacon

Is USB debugging enabled in Developer Options? Did you try switching the device to PTP mode?

Music to my ears. Thanks.

One more question, will it remember if I have Nova Launcher and auto sort my folders in accordance to that? And is the new Google launcher better enough now to just ditch Nova?

That much I don't know. I have a feeling it will ask you on start up which one you want to use but I don't have Nova so i personally wouldn't know. But as far as the new launcher, 100% imo. Everything is there. I'm bias as I love stock the way it is but its so beautiful and pretty, I would absolutely never recommend ruining the experience with a launcher on top of it.

I could post some pics if you want

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That much I don't know. I have a feeling it will ask you on start up which one you want to use but I don't have Nova so i personally wouldn't know. But as far as the new launcher, 100% imo. Everything is there. I'm bias as I love stock the way it is but its so beautiful and pretty, I would absolutely never recommend ruining the experience with a launcher on top of it.

I could post some pics if you want
I'm all ears, and eyes. Here or PM is fine.

If you're saying that an extra launcher will actually decreased performance a little bit? Because its not like I absolutely need nova launcher but it does give me more space to have more folders on a page from what I can tell. Plus it makes the screen look bigger because I think it makes the icons or the bubbles or folders look smaller.

Oh man, I soft-bricked my phone because I flashed TWRP with the TWRP Manager and didn't set TWRP as my recovery in ROM Installer. Ha! That's what I get for being lazy.

Anyway, for anyone who is as stupid as I was, the way to fix it is to just use adb to flash TWRP. Just FYI.

DeSo

Banned
Loving it on my N5, transitions are so smooth. Battery life is kind of iffy though I think that is due to some unoptimized apps I have installed.

androvsky

Ah, another Android version, another hope I can unbrick my 2012 Nexus 7 with it. It had the bug where there's a chance it bricks itself if the battery completely runs out; managed to get it revived to the point where it complains about encrypted storage before. Anyone ever figure that problem out or is it just plain toast?

Just sideloaded on Nexus 5. Looks so pretty. The notifications are amazing. Animations could get annoying after a while though. I can also finally uninstall creepy flashlight apps.

Sch1sm

Just sideloaded on Nexus 5. Looks so pretty. The notifications are amazing. Animations could get annoying after a while though. I can also finally uninstall creepy flashlight apps.

And when they get annoying you can turn them off in developer menu.
Just tap your build number 7x and then scroll down, ez.

alatif113

Gahhh was gonna get a Nexus 5 once L got released but now they're all sold out. Any ideas how long it takes before a restock?

Sch1sm

Gahhh was gonna get a Nexus 5 once L got released but now they're all sold out. Any ideas how long it takes before a restock?

They just restocked three two weeks ago, the L hype was clearly so strong. Maybe a month; that's the rough interval the N4 was restocked at.

So I have a US Nexus 5 that I'm using in the UK on Three. I know there are some hardware differences between my model and the one sold here, so will I still get the firmware pushed out to me by the carrier, or will I have to load it myself?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So I have a US Nexus 5 that I'm using in the UK on Three. I know there are some hardware differences between my model and the one sold here, so will I still get the firmware pushed out to me by the carrier, or will I have to load it myself?

Google pushes updates directly to the N5 (at least the unlocked version - is there a version that isn't?), the carrier has nothing to do with it. So you should be getting it just fine.

dex3108

N7 2013 OTA Sideloaded and it is up and running, N5 Sideloaded and it is currently updating :D I hope everything will be fine :D

Mindwipe

(Crossposted from the Community thread) Flashed my Nexus 7 last night.

Very initial Lollipop thoughts -

• Having a non-removable email icon to tell me there's no AOSP email client anymore is the most dunderheaded design decision Google has ever made.
  • It seems bizarre that I have to pick my own profile photo now and can't just take my Google+ profile picture. This worked in Kit Kat.
  • The settings menu is really disappointingly riddled with layout bugs for a stock version of Android that had a significant beta period on Google's own hardware. If you click on a wifi network for details literally half the words on screen wrap FFS (AOSP issue with photo: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=79310)
  • Voice search from the lock screen now works for UK English... but still not on Kit Kat, which is what my phone runs where it would actually be useful.
  • If you disable swipe up for Google Now the animation is still here, but it just does nothing. C'mon Google. If I've disable swipe up it's probably because I don't want to swipe up.
  • Calendar and Contacts are trainwrecks, usability wise. I use Sunrise anyway, but the Contacts app need to display about 50% more stuff on a 7 inch screen frankly.
  • Mailbox needs a homescreen widget, since I'm replacing AOSP Mail with it.
  • I still wish there was an option to have your settings pulldown and your notifications pulldown separate on a tablet like they were :-(

Couldn't be bothered to wait and sideloaded it instead with the OTA update on the previous page. It's pretty easy.

Very slick on my N5. Like, not a stutter at all. Not that I noticed any before but it does feel smoother. I like the animations but I'm not a fan of the menu colours. Grey, an aqua colour for the icons in settings, little things like that. And the app list is in a white box now.

Did have 1 hiccup where the wifi and mobile internet wasn't working peroperly. Solved it by putting the phone in airplane mode and back off again sorted it.

Now just to wait for my main apps to hopefully update with the same UI.

• Having a non-removable email icon to tell me there's no AOSP email client anymore is the most dunderheaded design decision Google has ever made.
  • It seems bizarre that I have to pick my own profile photo now and can't just take my Google+ profile picture. This worked in Kit Kat.
  • The settings menu is really disappointingly riddled with layout bugs for a stock version of Android that had a significant beta period on Google's own hardware. If you click on a wifi network for details literally half the words on screen wrap FFS.
  • Voice search from the lock screen now works for UK English... but still not on Kit Kat, which is what my phone runs where it would actually be useful.
  • If you disable swipe up for Google Now the animation is still here, but it just does nothing. C'mon Google. If I've disable swipe up it's probably because I don't want to swipe up.
  • Calendar and Contacts are trainwrecks, usability wise. I use Sunrise anyway, but the Contacts app need to display about 50% more stuff on a 7 inch screen frankly.
  • Mailbox needs a homescreen widget, since I'm replacing AOSP Mail with it.
  • I still wish there was an option to have your settings pulldown and your notifications pulldown separate on a tablet like they were :-(

I didn't have to pick a profile picture. It took my Google+ one straight away. I also had US English for my phone when on KitKat, for voice searches. Never had a problem.
2 finger swipe down for settings is fine for me.

Mindwipe

I didn't have to pick a profile picture. It took my Google+ one straight away.

For your user profile, and the picture in the settings dropdown?

Definitely didn't work here.

I also had US English for my phone when on KitKat, for voice searches. Never had a problem.

It significantly reduces recognition.

2 finger swipe down for settings is fine for me.

I'll deal, but it would be better if it could be configured.

Ah you didn't mention user profile photo. I've only got 1 however when I go into user profile settings, it does have my G+ photo though. I can't imagine that changing if I was to create another user profile.

Nicktendo86

It significantly reduces recognition.

I'll deal, but it would be better if it could be configured.

Same here, my N7 wouldn't take my G+ photo and I wondered if I had done something wrong. Worked on the previews though so I am baffled.

Loving everything else about the final release though, I seems to be getting less homescreen redraws as well.

SimleuqiR

Google+ has been decoupled from the Contacts app and mostly everything else. People bitched so much Larry Page fired Vic and started de-tethering G+ from everything. It's not that it "doesn't" work anymore is that your phone profile/account is no longer connected to G+.

deleted

N7 2012 is on rollout too, right?

I haven't really followed which devices are still supported and what will get L at what time.

Loaded it on my 2012 Nexus 7. Oof. That's slowed down a bit over the last two years. I like the look, can't really feel many benefits apart from the visual as it's a crawl.

Lulu23

I want to get a black Nexus 5 with 32Gb but Google and Amazon are out of stock. No idea where to find one (new). Located in Germany; any ideas?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So it doesn't seem any European Lollipop firmwares are up for grabs for the 2nd Gen Moto G yet. Or am I just horrible at searching? I don't want to wait for the OTA ;(

Edit: How is ram usage on Lollipop anyway? I read L had a lower imprint?

Faddy

Banned

I thought there was only one Nexus model and it supported many bands so it is a worldwide phone?

Actually I just looked and there is a North American variant. Does this mean you don't get sweet sweet 4G?

Top Bottom