• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Installed on my N10. Only issues so far are that they didn't bother including the new launcher (still using KK launcher), and because the navbar isn't transparent the toast notifications (swiping away a google now card, closing a chrome tab) show up under the navbar, so they're only half on screen in portrait or landscape. I have no idea how they didn't catch that.

Jigolo

Installed on my N10. Only issues so far are that they didn't bother including the new launcher (still using KK launcher), and because the navbar isn't transparent the toast notifications (swiping away a google now card, closing a chrome tab) show up under the navbar, so they're only half on screen in portrait or landscape. I have no idea how they didn't catch that.
It's a hardware thing which is why they skipped out transparent nav bars in KitKat as well.

jesalr

Weill this just work.. No having to touch anything?

You'll either need a computer with ADB, or a custom recovery. But in the case of ADB, you don't need an unlocked bootloader, root, or to wipe. I installed it, and everything was fine.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I was hoping I could sideload the OTA zip without using adb but I can't, can't do shit at work, no admin rights.

I have to wait a little bit longer...

I've found 2 apps that don't work so far - Mixcloud and a 3D bowling game that hasn't been updated in over a year. Both crash as soon as they're launched. Other than that, everything is good.

There's only a couple of things I don't like. One or two of the animations are a bit annoying. Also, with KitKat, if you lowered the volume all the way your phone would vibrate, but if you pressed volume down again it would go completely silent - no sounds or vibration. You can't do that anymore.

Overall, it's a fantastic update IMO.

kehs

Banned
I was hoping I could sideload the OTA zip without using adb but I can't, can't do shit at work, no admin rights.

I have to wait a little bit longer...

Do you have root? I'm not sure if putting the .zip package in the temp folder still works, but you could try that.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Do you have root? I'm not sure if putting the .zip package in the temp folder still works, but you could try that.

Yeah I'm rooted.

I'm not aware of that method. Actually, I've never sideloaded before lol, I just heard from a friend I could directly from the phone but I guess it's changed since N4.

jesalr

Yeah I'm rooted.

I'm not aware of that method. Actually, I've never sideloaded before lol, I just heard from a friend I could directly from the phone but I guess it's changed since N4.
If you're rooted, is it sage to assume you have a custom boot loader? You can flash it only on your device with that

Argyle

Flashing without wiping is a very common cause of issues that you just don't get if you do wipe, especially with major updates like this one. I wouldn't recommend it.

Serious question, do you wipe your device every time you get an OTA update?

Flashing without wiping when moving from unrelated ROMs causes lots of problems and is a bad idea. (For example, I would not recommend flashing the Lollipop final image over the preview without wiping. My rule of thumb is that if there is an OTA to officially update you from one version to another, a dirty flash should be OK.) But if you're already on stock, then flashing a factory image without wiping is fine and seems to be the same thing as accepting the OTA. I just did this on all my devices and everything is fine. It even migrated my Exchange accounts from the Email app to Gmail.

Coming from stock Android on my Nexus 7 2012, how would I flash without wiping?

I just did this last night.

Make sure you have the tools to flash from the Android SDK.

Download the factory image for the Nexus 7 and unpack it.

Remove this line from flash-all.bat (assuming you are on Windows):
fastboot erase userdata

Remove the -w from this line:
fastboot -w update image-nakasi-lrx21p.zip

Curse you Google. Have all that money and still can't match Apple in software updates. I'm being bitter because I'm a child in a sweet shop and want everything now!

It's not about money, or bandwidth, or anything. They do it so that if a critical bug gets shipped, they only have to worry about a small fraction of users with the issue. It's completely logical.

If you want it right now, you can get the factory images, you can flash them to your phone and restore from the device profile during setup! :)

I think the Nexus 4 delay is artificial and more about getting people to upgrade to a 6 than a technical reason. They want the impatient people in the "My 4 is almost 2 years old...." crowd to upgrade to a Nexus 6.

soul

I think the Nexus 4 delay is artificial and more about getting people to upgrade to a 6 than a technical reason. They want the impatient people in the "My 4 is almost 2 years old...." crowd to upgrade to a Nexus 6.

I actually heard it's because of a critical bug found a few days ago. Might be just a rumor, though.

Rootbeer

Banned
In went from a full charge to about 50% bat in just 3 hours of use (lots of screen time, no games, mostly chrome and twitter, LTE with WiFi off) on a newly flashed N5. No unusual battery use according to the battery log. I honesty don't feel 5.0 has netted me any gains there. Its simply terrible. Still.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
In went from a full charge to about 50% bat in just 3 hours of use (lots of screen time, no games, mostly chrome and twitter, LTE with WiFi off) on a newly flashed N5. No unusual battery use according to the battery log. I honesty don't feel 5.0 has netted me any gains there. Its simply terrible. Still.

How much SoT though? If it's close to 3h, that's definitely not bad at all.

SimleuqiR

I'm not sure what you are expecting from the battery included in your Nexus 5. But 3 hours of use with that much activity and you only used 50% of the battery? That's really good.

Okay, one last question: if I wipe and flash the OTA zip, will I need to flash gapps, as well? Or is it baked in?

EDIT: And yes, I'll have to wipe, as I'm on CM11 right now.

From a Google engineer on r/android

Rollouts are conducted in phases. Typically they start at 1% of devices for around 24 - 48 hours; we watch the return rates and resulting device checkins and error reports (if any), and make sure nothing looks wrong before sending it to more. Then typically it goes to 25%, 50%, 100% over the course of a week or two.

DarkFlow

Banned
I wouldn't worry about flashing without wiping, as long as you were already stock...unless you're paranoid enough to wipe before every OTA update, personally I don't have time to constantly set my devices up over and over...

Well it just so happens Lollipop does this for you now! It remembers what folders you had, where they were, etc. There's almost nothing you need to do yourself now.

Oozer3993

Apparently constantly doing that lessens your chances of getting it earlier.

No, it just doesn't do anything. During the rollout, the only check that matters is the first during a given window (say, the very first 1% one). If your device doesn't get lucky, that's it for that window. Constantly checking won't do anything. It's locked out until Google opens the next window.

Dan Morrill said:
Rollouts are conducted in phases. Typically they start at 1% of devices for around 24 - 48 hours; we watch the return rates and resulting device checkins and error reports (if any), and make sure nothing looks wrong before sending it to more. Then typically it goes to 25%, 50%, 100% over the course of a week or two.
What the percentages mean is that when your device checks in, it has a 1% chance (for example) of being offered the OTA. If it doesn't (randomly) get an offer, it will never get an offer until the next batch.
IOW, once your device checks in and gets turned down, that's it until the next batch. Mashing on the "check for updates" button just causes your device to check in again, and get automatically turned down again. Think about how that makes your device feel! WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE PHONES?!
That said, once the new batch does start, hitting that button does give you a new roll of the dice -- but once. Since devices usually only check in for system updates every 24 hours (I think? Certainly on a many-hours basis) this can get you your shot sooner than it would happen on its own.
So, mash away. :) Just be patient, and mashing on it more often than once or twice a day isn't going to gain you anything.
Edit: also, keep in mind that this isn't first-come/first-served. You're not racing other devices to get your slot in the current batch, or something.

3phemeral

Apparently constantly doing that lessens your chances of getting it earlier.

Unless something has changed, isn't a user's eligibility for an update determined once every 24 hours? When you're notified that there is no update available, that status will remain unchanged until the next day that you can check again. Otherwise, checking multiple times within the same 24-hour period will just return the same initial result until you're eligible to check again. I haven't read anything that states otherwise, let alone being penalized for it.

Argyle

Well it just so happens Lollipop does this for you now! It remembers what folders you had, where they were, etc. There's almost nothing you need to do yourself now.

My understanding is that apps need to opt in to their cloud backup API and few do currently, meaning that this isn't how it works in the real world. I restored a backup to my Nexus 9 and I know I had still had to set up all my non-Gmail email accounts, sign back into Dropbox, etc. Also, I'm pretty sure you won't keep your text messages unless you are using Google Voice, if you didn't back up your full resolution pictures and videos those are gone after a wipe (from flashing a factory image), and so on and so forth...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
All my data is intact. Nothing wiped, all apps optimized as well.
Music to my ears. Thanks.

One more question, will it remember if I have Nova Launcher and auto sort my folders in accordance to that? And is the new Google launcher better enough now to just ditch Nova?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Okay, one last question: if I wipe and flash the OTA zip, will I need to flash gapps, as well? Or is it baked in?

EDIT: And yes, I'll have to wipe, as I'm on CM11 right now.

If you have to wipe anyway, why not just flash the factory image? Wouldn't you have to flash back to stock before even being able to flash the OTA zip? An OTA update updates an existing install, it doesn't create a brand new one (like a factory image does)... right?

OTA?! *Check now**Check now*...

Yup, got notice of the update an hour before my post. So if you're looking for a good time to mash that update button daily that might be a good one.

That said, I'm not sure if I'm enjoying the lollipop experience as much as I should be. The first hour on my phone was terribly slow after the install. But mainly, the pop-in/pop-out animations makes the interface seem slower (even if it really isn't).

Soodanim

I've found 2 apps that don't work so far - Mixcloud and a 3D bowling game that hasn't been updated in over a year. Both crash as soon as they're launched. Other than that, everything is good.

There's only a couple of things I don't like. One or two of the animations are a bit annoying. Also, with KitKat, if you lowered the volume all the way your phone would vibrate, but if you pressed volume down again it would go completely silent - no sounds or vibration. You can't do that anymore.

Overall, it's a fantastic update IMO.

Oh for fuck's sake. I use that several times a day. I suppose I could throw something together in Tasker, but I shouldn't have to.

Removing features, however small, is a cunt move.

Top Bottom