• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

3rdman

So it doesn't seem any European Lollipop firmwares are up for grabs for the 2nd Gen Moto G yet. Or am I just horrible at searching? I don't want to wait for the OTA ;(

Edit: How is ram usage on Lollipop anyway? I read L had a lower imprint?

I've seen estimates around 20% improvement across the board. YMMV though, of course.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So it doesn't seem any European Lollipop firmwares are up for grabs for the 2nd Gen Moto G yet. Or am I just horrible at searching? I don't want to wait for the OTA ;(

Edit: How is ram usage on Lollipop anyway? I read L had a lower imprint?

I don't remember exactly how much RAM KK used up, but this is my N5 on LP:

screenshot_2014-11-148vswi.png

I thought there was only one Nexus model and it supported many bands so it is a worldwide phone?

Actually I just looked and there is a North American variant. Does this mean you don't get sweet sweet 4G?

It does, sadly. Though honestly, compared to the garbage networks back home it's not like I see much of a difference

DrFurbs

guys is there any Youtube videos of how to install this including SDK tools and ADB. I just tired to install the SDK program but one file failed (POM) the name was too long?

NotBacon

guys is there any Youtube videos of how to install this including SDK tools and ADB. I just tired to install the SDK program but one file failed (POM) the name was too long?

First, clean up any mess you've made so far (undo changes, installs, etc.)

1. Download this (I'm assuming you're on Windows)
2. Go into sdk folder and run sdk manager .exe
3. Checkmark "sdk platform tools" and "google usb driver", then install them, then close the sdk manager
4. Make sure ;C:\<path_to_sdk>\platform-tools is at the end of your "Path". (Right-click "This PC" in File Explorer > Properties > Advanced system settings > Environment Variables > Scroll Down to "Path" > Edit)
5. Save it, then open up a command line
6. Enable USB debugging on your Nexus device
7. Plug in your device. If the tablet asks you to trust the computer press Yes/Ok
8. Enter "adb devices" without quotes. It should list a "device".
9. Enter "adb reboot bootloader", the enter "fastboot oem unlock" when it's in fastboot mode. (if your bootloader is locked)
10. Navigate to the system image folder containing the flash-all.bat file through the command line
11. Enter "flash-all.bat"
12. After it's rebooted and everything you can run "fastboot oem lock" to lock it up again (for security)

Hopefully I didn't miss anything...

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I flashed my Nexus 5 last night with Lollipop 5.0, brand new.

74%, I've been unplugged since 7:15am. It's now 3:30pm, so ~8 hours.

Fo1ESRb.png

qCy8E33.png

- Adaptive brightness at around a quarter.
- Location is in battery saving mode.
- No LTE, just wifi since 8am (I'm at work).
- SOT of 43 minutes.
- Keep WIFI on during sleep
- Vibrate on keyboard, navigation buttons is off (prefer it this way, not for battery saving purposes).

If I replicated the same on Kit Kat, I'd be at 65% or so by now.

Jigolo

I flashed my Nexus 5 last night with Lollipop 5.0, brand new.

74%, I've been unplugged since 7:15am. It's now 3:30pm, so ~8 hours.

Fo1ESRb.png

qCy8E33.png

- Adaptive brightness at around a quarter.
- Location is in battery saving mode.
- No LTE, just wifi since 8am (I'm at work).
- SOT of 43 minutes.
- Keep WIFI on during sleep
- Vibrate on keyboard, navigation buttons is off (prefer it this way, not for battery saving purposes).

If I replicated the same on Kit Kat, I'd be at 65% or so by now.

Android System has no business being that high

DrFurbs

First, clean up any mess you've made so far (undo changes, installs, etc.)

1. Download this (I'm assuming you're on Windows)
2. Go into sdk folder and run sdk manager .exe
3. Checkmark "sdk platform tools" and "google usb driver", then install them, then close the sdk manager
4. Make sure ;C:\<path_to_sdk>\platform-tools is at the end of your "Path". (Right-click "This PC" in File Explorer > Properties > Advanced system settings > Environment Variables > Scroll Down to "Path" > Edit)
5. Save it, then open up a command line
6. Enable USB debugging on your Nexus device
7. Plug in your device. If the tablet asks you to trust the computer press Yes/Ok
8. Enter "adb devices" without quotes. It should list a "device".
9. Enter "fastboot oem unlock" if your bootloader is locked
10. Navigate to the system image folder containing the flash-all.bat file through the command line
11. Enter "flash-all.bat"
12. After it's rebooted and everything you can run "fastboot oem lock" to lock it up again (for security)

Hopefully I didn't miss anything...

Thank you sir. But when at the CMD screen and after I enter Fastboot oem lock i get a message saying " < waiting for device > and then nothing..what is this?

EDIT

USB debugging is on

Polari

Battery life on the N5 seems improved for me. I never really got all the bitching though, I've always got through a full day with it.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Battery life on the N5 seems improved for me. I never really got all the bitching though, I've always got through a full day with it.

Same, though mine recently started taking a hit in standby, no idea why.

Also, I never really use my phone that much during the day, whereas some people expect it to last but use it heavily, it's not gonna happen.

abracadaver

Did an OTA sideload because I hate waiting. (Nexus 5) didn't backup any files, everything is still there

What is this ugly keyboard? Horrible

Why can't I turn off vibration with the volume buttoms anymore?

I had two email accounts. One with the mail app and one with gmail app. When I start the mail app now it tells me that everything has to integrate into the gmail app and I can't use my old account anymore. Is there any reason to keep the mail app now?

It now takes two actions to unlock the phone? I first have to tap the unlock button after that I can unlock it. Meh

Curious to see how battery life will change for me. With kitkat I always had 3 - 3,5 hours of screen time before the phone turned off.

Sch1sm

Did an OTA sideload because I hate waiting. (Nexus 5) didn't backup any files, everything is still there

What is this ugly keyboard? Horrible

Why can't I turn off vibration with the volume buttoms anymore?

I had two email accounts. One with the mail app and one with gmail app. When I start the mail app now it tells me that everything has to integrate into the gmail app and I can't use my old account anymore. Is there any reason to keep the mail app now?

It now takes two actions to unlock the phone? I first have to tap the unlock button after that I can unlock it. Meh

Curious to see how battery life will change for me. With kitkat I always had 3 - 3,5 hours of screen time before the phone turned off.

You can change your keyboard back to Holo in settings. No, the email app really isn't worth it since Gmail integrates Exchange and the like now. I personally disabled it. The vibration issue irritates me to tje point downtime is necessary. Battery life is dependent on what exactly you're doing, but for the most part it's gotten not so great reviews. Most apps aren't optimized for L, anyway.

NotBacon

Thank you sir. But when at the CMD screen and after I enter Fastboot oem lock i get a message saying " < waiting for device > and then nothing..what is this?

EDIT

USB debugging is on

That means adb can't see your device. Did you check your tablet for popups as you were running these commands? adb not seeing your devices could be a number of things...

DrFurbs

That means adb can't see your device. Did you check your tablet for popups as you were running these commands? adb not seeing your devices could be a number of things...

When I do ADB devices it does show my phone. Any other ideas? There was one popup RSA? which I allowed.

NotBacon

When I do ADB devices it does show my phone. Any other ideas? There was one popup RSA? which I allowed.

I forgot to mention you need to be in fastboot mode first. Enter "adb reboot bootloader" before the fastboot commands.

The order is "adb reboot bootloader"..... wait for it to reach fastboot screen
"fastboot oem unlock"..... wait......
"flash-all.bat"....... wait.......
"fastboot oem lock" again later back in fastboot

If that still doesn't work, it's probably the driver:

arstechnica said:
The issue is the USB driver isn't loaded.

It's easy to load. Go to Device Manager [Window Key + X, M] and locate the Nexus device with the yellow exclamation icon. Double click the device to bring up the its properties and then select Update Driver. The Update Driver Software dialog appears. Select Browse my computer for driver software and then point it to the Android SDK directory while making sure that "Include subfolders" is checked. Voila!

DrFurbs

I forgot to mention you need to be in fastboot mode first. Enter "adb reboot bootloader" before the fastboot commands.

Will try in the morning cheers mate.

pestul

If you have problems with the USB driver.. I've had success with deleting the driver in device manager if using Windows (Nexus 7 2013 in my case) including the stored driver files and then scanning for hardware changes and updating again. For some reason the SDK Manager still didn't overwrite my older existing driver and it took this method to work for me for ADB.

Question guys:

I'm considering rooting my Xperia Z, so that I can get this update quicker. If I rooted my phone and for some reason couldn't figure out how to get 5.0 by myself, would I still receive the update from Sony/Carrier the normal way with a rooted phone when they release the update officially?

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Question guys:

I'm considering rooting my Xperia Z, so that I can get this update quicker. If I rooted my phone and for some reason couldn't figure out how to get 5.0 by myself, would I still receive the update from Sony/Carrier the normal way with a rooted phone when they release the update officially?

For the most part if you're flashing a 5.0 preview, or custom ROM even if you do get notified that there's an OTA you shouldn't flash it unless you go through the process of unrooting. Doing so could brick your phone.

Cerity

Question guys:

Unlocking the bootloader is what you want if you want to get an AOSP build. Rooting your XZ won't help you get the update any quicker short of changing your customisation to another region, in that case you'll still have to wait for sony to actually release it.

But yeah, as long as you don't unlock your bootloader you can still update through OTA/PC companion. Root will just disappear after the update.

I've been running pabx's build of lollipop the past couple days on my XZ, battery life seems a bit better than KK. Did this yesterday after playing about an hour of Two Dots, which heats up the phone a ridiculous amount for what the game displays on the screen. Was sitting on 10% at that point.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
If you have problems with the USB driver.. I've had success with deleting the driver in device manager if using Windows (Nexus 7 2013 in my case) including the stored driver files and then scanning for hardware changes and updating again. For some reason the SDK Manager still didn't overwrite my older existing driver and it took this method to work for me for ADB.

Googles USB drivers get upset & flaky really easily.

The data line on my Nexus 7's USB lead went bad (could charge OK, but not use for USB debugging / file transfer) and when my replacement arrived nothing I did would make the damn driver recognise my Nexus being plugged in, eventually after a few reinstalls it picked up my Nexus again and all has been good since.

Hell, thinking about it, when I first installed the driver I think it took about 3 install / uninstall / re-install merry-go-rounds before it worked too! :p

DrFurbs

almost there except I dont see the flash-all.bat file - i put the lolloipop zile intothe adb folder. Should it be in the platform tools?

I have put the full path to the tools in the system environment:
C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools

and in this is lollipop.zip

Then i open a CMD to the path tools and enter flash-all.bat but i get its not recognised as an internal....

Any ideas?

EDIT

Seems it was a driver issue. Its booting now as i speak...thank you sir that was RELATIVELY painless. IF anyone has the driver issue follow this:
http://visualgdb.com/tutorials/android/usbdebug/manualinstall.php

RoadHazard

Gold Member
For the most part if you're flashing a 5.0 preview, or custom ROM even if you do get notified that there's an OTA you shouldn't flash it unless you go through the process of unrooting. Doing so could brick your phone.

Naaah, just being rooted shouldn't be an issue by itself (at least with a Nexus, but maybe this is different with Sony phones?). If you have changed system stuff you might have problems though, but in that case the update should refuse to install anyway.

What's the best way to do a full backup of my Nexus 5 onto the PC if I don't want to back up anything to the cloud?

Helium doesn't do full phone backups, does it? I thought it just did apps + data. Full backups are typically done via Nandroid, but you need a custom recovery for that. Although I think you can also do it over ADB...?

almost there except I dont see the flash-all.bat file - i put the lolloipop zile intothe adb folder. Should it be in the platform tools?

I have put the full path to the tools in the system environment:
C:UsersDavidAppDataLocalAndroidandroid-sdkplatform-tools

and in this is lollipop.zip

Then i open a CMD to the path tools and enter flash-all.bat but i get its not recognised as an internal....

Any ideas?

EDIT

Seems it was a driver issue. Its booting now as i speak...thank you sir that was RELATIVELY painless. IF anyone has the driver issue follow this:
http://visualgdb.com/tutorials/android/usbdebug/manualinstall.php

You solved it? Anyway, you don't need to put the file anywhere special. As long as you have added the correct line to your PATH you should be able to run the script from anywhere.

This seemed an appropriate place to ask, I flashed my Verizon m8 with GPE 4.4.4 When lollipop rolls out will I be able to use system update in the settings to get it or will I need to flash 5.0?

JordanKZ

Is there a way to load this without wiping your phone? Stuff online seems confusing whether you do or not.

Assuming you have zero cloud backups (i.e: photos, videos etc.) the only thing you'll lose is call logs and text messages.

Lollipop will ask you to restore from a previous device, if you already have one. So it'll restore almost everything pretty much automatically. Aside from things such as app settings.

Assuming you have zero cloud backups (i.e: photos, videos etc.) the only thing you'll lose is call logs and text messages.

Lollipop will ask you to restore from a previous device, if you already have one. So it'll restore almost everything pretty much automatically. Aside from things such as app settings.

So it does this even with the OTA? If I got the update pushed from google would it also delete that?

Easy_D

never left the stone age

What about the most important things like game saves? Could I just copy them off of the phone myself if that's all I care for?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So it does this even with the OTA? If I got the update pushed from google would it also delete that?

No, the OTA doesn't wipe anything.

What about the most important things like game saves? Could I just copy them off of the phone myself if that's all I care for?

Pretty sure Carbon would save that for you.

Either that or you can just copy the save data over yourself from Andoid/data/. But not everything is possible to backup, and this includes if you do it with Helium/Carbon.

Top Bottom