• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I wonder how 5.0 will run on the Nexus 4? Even though I'm planning on upgrading to the Nexus 6, I would still like to keep my Nexus 4 around as a backup phone.

How is 4.4 running on it? Shouldn't get any worse with L. On my N5 the L dev preview was at least as smooth as KK, even smoother in some cases. Sure, L requires a bit more GPU power due to the 3D stuff it does (with layers, shadows, etc), but I don't see the N4 having any issues with that.

Javaman

Man, I hope dude fixes xposed to be compatible with ART. It sucks not getting full use of greenify with the new runtime.

quesalupa

nexus 5, nexus 6, nexus 7, nexus 9, nexus 10

google needs to figure out what they're doing with the nexus brand naming scheme lol
thats confusing as FUCK to someone who doesn't follow this stuff
try and put those devices in order from best to worst
Well 7 ate 9 get it!
Oh wait...

Angst

Aldebaran

I was about to ask the same thing lol

Only bought my first smartphone and android device in the S5 so I have no clue how this stuff works compared to iOS products.
The S5 will get L, but Samsung is quite slow with updates. Nexus, Motorola and GPE devices are the first to get the updates.

Javaman

You can't run Dalvik runtime?

I'm not sure if that's an option in lollypop. I'm using ART on CyanogenMod CM11 on a S3 and hadn't noticed anything broken apart from the exposed framework. There's a couple of games that aren't compatible (Final Fantasy's?) But I can't remember which ones.

Angst

Hasn't ART been android for awhile now? I think since at least 4.3.

It has been there as an option, but not the default runtime until now. When you enable it you get a warning about it being pre-release and many apps doesn't work properly with it on.

BIGWORM

I'm not sure if that's an option in lollypop. I'm using ART on CyanogenMod CM11 on a S3 and hadn't noticed anything broken apart from the exposed framework. There's a couple of games that aren't compatible (Final Fantasy's?) But I can't remember which ones.

IIRC, I think Lollipop aims to replace Dalvik RT completely. Like you, I use Exposed Framework, and will miss fully utilizing Greenify, among other apps.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh man, so my kinda shitty first gen nexus 7 is gonna get the update? Sweet.

If nothing else I hope it improves the battery life.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. It's still running 4.4.2. Will I ever get 5.0? I just read that Samsung is pretty bad about updates.

glaurung

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. It's still running 4.4.2. Will I ever get 5.0? I just read that Samsung is pretty bad about updates.
All Android device manufacturers are very bad about updates. That is why I dread buying an Xperia phone - knowing that I might not get an Android update 16 months down the line. This manner of planned obsolescence in consumer devices is really off-putting and the gap is closing for Apple too.

Lollipop looks nice, at least in its stock format. Looking forward to see how Samsung manages to completely fuck it with their take.

All Android device manufacturers are very bad about updates. That is why I dread buying an Xperia phone - knowing that I might not get an Android update 16 months down the line. This manner of planned obsolescence in consumer devices is really off-putting and the gap is closing for Apple too.

Lollipop looks nice, at least in its stock format. Looking forward to see how Samsung manages to completely fuck it with their take.
:\ It's not something I was thinking about when I bought it. I'm new to Android and tablets so I didn't know it was an issue.

Aiii

So not worth it

Just go Nexus, day 1 updates, stock experience.

Really doesn't get much better than that.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
: It's not something I was thinking about when I bought it. I'm new to Android and tablets so I didn't know it was an issue.
Honestly? It's so much easier to root Android devices and install custom ROMs than it is to wait for device manufacturers to get off their asses.

pronk420

I hope they update the features of the non-gmail email app and not just the UI, as it is its completely useless to me and I have to use K9 which looks like it was designed in 2001 or something.

i haven't seen them mention any new features for mail though :( i know they want to push gmail but some of us have no choice for work, and the current mail app makes android rubbish for work email.

I haven't even got 4.4.4 on my Xperia Z despite it supposedly being released for the phone over a month ago. Here's hoping Sony are quick with this one.

glaurung

Just go Nexus, day 1 updates, stock experience.

Really doesn't get much better than that.
Yup, that would be the best solution, but I seriously dislike the Nexus hardware design. I find it to be the most generic, dull, uninspired device design since ever.

Xperia Z2/Z3 hardware design is beyond über, it's just perfect. But the software side is still iffy.

I swear to god, I have been expecting Android to figure itself out for three years now. And it just isn't happening.

Assuming TouchWiz maintains a similar appearance, it's going to be super jarring for Samsung users when jumping from Material-based Google stock apps to fugly TouchWiz crap.

I wish Samsung would restrain themselves, but we all know that's not going to happen.

jwhit28

Motorola has pretty much been right there with Google Play Edition devices and that doesn't seem to have changed even with the sale to Lenovo.

Fatalah

Motorola has pretty much been right there with Google Play Edition devices and that doesn't seem to have changed even with the sale to Lenovo.

Sale isn't final yet, but Lenovo should be smart enough to keep the "enlightened" Moto train rolling.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Assuming TouchWiz maintains a similar appearance, it's going to be super jarring for Samsung users when jumping from Material-based Google stock apps to fugly TouchWiz crap.

I wish Samsung would restrain themselves, but we all know that's not going to happen.

Yep, and that's the experience most Android users are gonna have, giving them the impression that that's how Android IS. I'm so, so annoyed at Samsung for continuing to ruin the public impression of Android year after year. If only all these oblivious people actually knew what they're subjecting themselves to and what other options are out there...

Drac

Any words from Sony on the Xperia Z series ? I love my Z1 Compact as is but I sure wouldn't mind the update.

clav

Is this a joke? The S3 and Note II are more than 2 years old now. They aren't going to support old devices forever and Samsung has already supported their 2012 devices longer than any other OEM.

Do you work for Samsung?

The fact the update works on Nexus 4 is a huge slap in the face.

Equivalent to saying it's a joke that people with Core 2/Quad Core need to buy the latest i7 just to browse the web.

SimleuqiR

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...p-on-nov-3rd-other-devices-later-in-november/

Get your ADBs ready!!

my+body+is+always+ready+for+Reggie-sama+_9adb967735d602ac31aebbbfcf685e18.jpg

We have a reliable source (two, in fact) telling us that the first over-the-air updated to Android Lollipop will come not to the Nexus 4 or 5, but to the Nexus 7 (2012), Nexus 7 (2013 Wi-Fi), and Nexus 10. Why? Because they're all Wi-Fi device - supposedly hardware with cellular data will have to wait a bit longer to get the OTA, meaning the Nexus 4, 5, and 2013 Nexus 7 with LTE will be stuck a bit longer waiting for the L update. The updates for the Wi-Fi devices will arrive on November 3rd.

Top Bottom