• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

tilting_msh

Neo Member
I've had the notification for a few days to update on my Nexus 5, I ignored since I had heard about some of the glitches. Now the update is gone, even when I manually check.

Leonsito

Since the update my Nexus 5 has almost half battery life, I tried to do the full discharge-charge thing but it hasn't solve anything :(

Phoenix

There's not, and you don't need to. Android handles memory usage and stuff on its own, it doesn't need your help. Most of what you see in Recents isn't actually running, they are just there to let you easily switch between recently used apps.

Sure, I swipe away some stuff too (games, etc), but most everyday apps I just leave there. That's how it's designed to be used.

But I don't want to page through 50-60 apps looking for the ones I want to use. I don't give two shits about how good the memory management is. If you have a stack of stuff (and it gets even bigger on my devices with more memory), I need a quick way to get rid of it or give me a quick way to sort through it.

Zeroneo

Is there any way to get the volume settings to appear when you press the power button? Having to use the volume button is a pain since you have to leave your current app, wait and then press the button.

Oh and you can get to the full notifications menu by just swiping and then clicking the grey bar like how it used to be in 4.4 with the gear button.

thenexus6

I have a security app on my phone and everyday since lollipop it's telling me certain apps are draining power and are trying to restart like 15-20 times per day.. Anyone else having this? And how can I stop apps doing this?

But I don't want to page through 50-60 apps looking for the ones I want to use. I don't give two shits about how good the memory management is. If you have a stack of stuff (and it gets even bigger on my devices with more memory), I need a quick way to get rid of it or give me a quick way to sort through it.

I agree that there should be a "clear all" option, but if you're attempting to use an app that's 50 tabs behind then there's really no point in using the recent apps since what you were doing before won't be in your memory anymore. Just reopen the app from the drawer.

just upgraded my Nexus 5 to Lollipop, but then I found out that Xposed Framework isn't available for 5.0 =(

what do i do? any alternatives to Unicon & XGEL Settings?

Me personally, I just use the Google now launcher and keep everything stock.

yeah, I like to use the Google Now Launcher with the ClickUI icon pack & XGEL Settings for extra customization, which is why I'm sad right now that I can't use the Xposed Framework. anything that can use ClickUI that is close to Google Now will be cool with me for now I guess

lunchtoast

lol damn, should've done my research before updating. i would've stayed on kitkat for a bit longer. what launchers/icon changers have you guys been using with Lollipop in the meantime?

Nova, looks no different than what I had on 4.4.4.

Think I might go back go 4.4.4 until there's more modding options. Battery seems iffy, and having issues connecting to my work's wifi.

Having an issue with my Nexus 7 2013. I got the update mesage a frw days ago and declined because A game I play(pad) wasn't compatible yet. It is now but now I can't find the upgrade. When I go to about tablet and search for update it tells me my tablet is up to date with 4.4. I already restarted and it didn't help.

Sch1sm

Having an issue with my Nexus 7 2013. I got the update mesage a frw days ago and declined because A game I play(pad) wasn't compatible yet. It is now but now I can't find the upgrade. When I go to about tablet and search for update it tells me my tablet is up to date with 4.4. I already restarted and it didn't help.

Yeah, you'll be waiting a while. Again. Happened to someone else, as well.

Darren870

So far good for me on my Nexus 5.

However, how do I change the notifications? In settings its:

Show All Info
Show Only Non Sensitive Info
Show nothing.

All I want it do do is show a little icon in the top left like it used to, and does when unlocked. I don't want it to come up with content hidden, or the message.

Hydrargyrus

I'm pretty happy with the Lollipop in my Nexus 5. The battery is, at least, as good as in the 4.4.4 and the general performance is fantastic.

But, is there and option to see the time since the last charge instead to the next charge?

Hasney

Was getting only a few hours of battery life on my S4, put it down to being an unofficial beta build.

Turned off WiFi and now I'm getting a predicted 30 hours. Thank fuck for unlimited LTE data.

Rktk

I'm pretty happy with the Lollipop in my Nexus 5. The battery is, at least, as good as in the 4.4.4 and the general performance is fantastic.

But, is there and option to see the time since the last charge instead to the next charge?

I was looking for that last night, can't see it, looks like you have to go from the graph and guestimate.

Apt101

I've been using it for a few days. Doesn't feel like much a departure. I appreciate a unified e-mail app for Gmail and Exchange.

Is it possible to disable the quick settings from the lock screen?

I use Cerberus on my phone as an anti theft tool. I realized that if someone took my phone, they can just disable Wi-Fi and data from the lock screen without even needing to unlock my phone.

Zeppu

I use Cerberus on my phone as an anti theft tool. I realized that if someone took my phone, they can just disable Wi-Fi and data from the lock screen without even needing to unlock my phone.

I don't think you can at this point. It is however a very obvious and easy exploit which I have no doubt will be fixed very soon.

I expect (read: hope) 5.1 to be released in the next few months, probably early next year and all these issues, along with volume confusion, strange battery issues, etc.

Faddy

Banned
Can anyone please point me to the easiest way to update a rooted Nexus 5 without losing data? I apologize if this has been answered .

If you have unlocked your bootloader, I followed this guide

http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/general/how-to-download-flash-android-5-0-t2937941

The flash-all.bat didn't work for me, so I followed this work around

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-fix-error-update-package-missing-system-img-android-5-0-factory-images-nexus-devices-1474865

As far as I can tell I lost nothing during the update, all my apps, settings and everything else was still there. It is pretty simple although I am comfortable using the command line all the instructions are easy to follow and it worked flawlessly. Better than all the hassle going back to stock and all that nonsense.

Soodanim

I don't think you can at this point. It is however a very obvious and easy exploit which I have no doubt will be fixed very soon.

I expect (read: hope) 5.1 to be released in the next few months, probably early next year and all these issues, along with volume confusion, strange battery issues, etc.
The worst thing is that people noticed this on day one of the beta/preview and it still wasn't fixed by release. I think I read that they halted rollouts of 5 due to bugs, so maybe we will get a new version quicker than expected.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Actually, data can't be disabled from the lock screen. Tapping that icon just shows your data usage, you need to unlock to do anything more serious. You also cannot disable location from the lock screen (you could in the preview, which was an obvious security flaw). So you should pretty much be safe.

...is what I was going to say until I realized that you can enable airplane mode from the lock screen. So yeah, a quick tap on that is all it takes to make your phone untraceable. Bit stupid.

andycapps

Yeah, you'll be waiting a while. Again. Happened to someone else, as well.

Google's OTA update process is fucked, but I guess we all know that. Have an iPhone and Nexus 7, really wish updates were instant on all supported devices when Google puts out an update. They should be able to handle the server strain if Apple can. I did the manual update to my Nexus 7 last week, but I'm just saying that to avoid having to wait 2 weeks for my supported device to get an update, I'd wish they could make OTA updates available for everyone at the same time.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I have to say the battery improvements on my N10 with Lollipop are amazing. It has not been charged since the OTA last week and still going. It drops virtually nothing when its not in use. 1% drop in an 18 hour period where it was not used overnight and Saturday.

Phoenix

I agree that there should be a "clear all" option, but if you're attempting to use an app that's 50 tabs behind then there's really no point in using the recent apps since what you were doing before won't be in your memory anymore. Just reopen the app from the drawer.

Then what the hell is the point of recent apps. It has no utility if the best way to get to an open app is to just launch it again.

Phoenix

Google's OTA update process is fucked, but I guess we all know that. Have an iPhone and Nexus 7, really wish updates were instant on all supported devices when Google puts out an update. They should be able to handle the server strain if Apple can. I did the manual update to my Nexus 7 last week, but I'm just saying that to avoid having to wait 2 weeks for my supported device to get an update, I'd wish they could make OTA updates available for everyone at the same time.

Their process is to deal with issues when a bug floats during the OTA, which is what happened this time. These sorts is problems get nipped in the bud early using this process without it polluting all of the devices in the population.

andycapps

Their process is to deal with issues when a bug floats during the OTA, which is what happened this time. These sorts is problems get nipped in the bud early using this process without it polluting all of the devices in the population.

Do they not put out betas (other than this glorified beta)?

Actually, data can't be disabled from the lock screen. Tapping that icon just shows your data usage, you need to unlock to do anything more serious. You also cannot disable location from the lock screen (you could in the preview, which was an obvious security flaw). So you should pretty much be safe.

...is what I was going to say until I realized that you can enable airplane mode from the lock screen. So yeah, a quick tap on that is all it takes to make your phone untraceable. Bit stupid.

If you look at the top right of the screen, just under your user icon, it says "Cellular Data" with a toggle switch. I haven't tested if it actually disables data, but either way it has been bothering me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Then what the hell is the point of recent apps. It has no utility if the best way to get to an open app is to just launch it again.

It's a way to quickly jump between the apps you've recently been using. Not sure 50 apps ago counts as "recent".

If you look at the top right of the screen, just under your user icon, it says "Cellular Data" with a toggle switch. I haven't tested if it actually disables data, but either way it has been bothering me.

Ah, you're right. Yeah, this stuff needs to be locked down if the remote locating and wiping features are gonna be worth shit. If a potential thief can just disable data from the lock screen, what's even the point?

Kssio_Aug

I have update for almost a week. But am starting to notice some annoying performance issues.

Sometimes, while in a app, when I go back to home screen it has to refresh all the apps there. And when I go back to the internet browser it has to refresh the page Im in everytime I swap to another app. :/

And my Spotify crashed twice in less then a hour.

Nexus 5 here.

Edit:
After rebooting, things are a bit better again and the browswer is not refreshing. Still strange, it may happen again.

Top Bottom