• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wow, Smash Hit is probably the best looking Android game I've seen so far. Very impressive, and runs flawlessly on high settings on my N5. Pretty fun too! Made by the people who made Sprinkle and Granny Smith.

VoidZero

Banned
Tempting but... all those reviews bitching about dubious in-app purchases (and some say they clicked for an update and instead got charged $1.50 for levels getting unlocked, which were already unlocked? WTF?) makes me wary to give even a cent to Ubisoft. Does this require Uplay?
That's hard to believe. You get a popup asking you, if you want to buy a pass to unlock all levels. If you tap on yes, you get another popup from the play Store showing you the price. Here you have to tap on buy to buy it.

Regarding Uplay: no there's no Uplay.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That's hard to believe. You get a popup asking you if you want to buy a pass to unlock all levels. If you tap on yes, you get another popup from the play Store showing you the price. You have to tap on buy to buy it.
Okay, sounds like it's a code 18 then. :)

Regarding Uplay: no there's no Uplay.
Thanks. Bought! I'll hold you responsible if the game pisses me off.
;)

There is a pretty terrible Google Play 2nd Birthday sale going on right now. I would love to list some highlights... but there are none.

On the plus side, the iOS quiz game, QuizUp, finally came out on Android today. I'm actually having a lot of fun with it, despite some issues with the port. It's also free and doesn't seem to have in-your-face micro-transactions, so that's good too.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Man, this 2nd anniversary sale really hit home how much I dislike mobile gaming. Remember the first massive Android Market sale? Minecraft Pocket, GameDev story, Sketchbook, and a couple dozen apps for 10 cents? Ownership.

Now it's a slew of "bonus gems on your timesink/stamina boosts!".

borius

Neo Member
I don't know if it's considered spam or not but I've just released a free game on Android developed for the Flappy Jam.

It's an endless runner where you have to jump into golden rings (guess what the protagonist is an hedgehog!). You have to correctly load your jump.

I have no idea if it's too easy or to difficult, I'd like to have some feedbacks from expert gamers.

tumblr_inline_n21mb7dUnc1qlkssq.png

Download Play Store - Free

Thanks.
Next week should be available on iOS too

I don't know if it's considered spam or not but I've just released a free game on Android developed for the Flappy Jam.

It's an endless runner where you have to jump into golden rings (guess what the protagonist is an hedgehog!). You have to correctly load your jump.

I have no idea if it's too easy or to difficult, I'd like to have some feedbacks from expert gamers.

tumblr_inline_n21mb7dUnc1qlkssq.png

Download Play Store - Free

Thanks.
Next week should be available on iOS too
Crashes on main menu for me. I sent you an error report. Nexus 4 here.

Billen

Banned
I have tried loving mobile/tablet gaming, but no go.

Edit: sale on purchases within the app??????? Hahaha what the hell Google, I am most definitely OUT. :D

RM8

I have tried loving mobile/tablet gaming, but no go.
It's hard because most stuff is crap. The crap-to-gold ratio is insane, like in no other platform before. But slowly you build a decent collection of genuinely fun games.

Billen

Banned
It's hard because most stuff is crap. The crap-to-gold ratio is insane, like in no other platform before. But slowly you build a decent collection of genuinely fun games.

To be honest, there are such an abysmal amount of games that actually work with touch controls/having something blocking the screen according to me that my attempts at building a decent collection pretty much leads nowhere.

borius

Neo Member
Crashes on main menu for me. I sent you an error report. Nexus 4 here.

Thanks very much, I have no idea of what kind of error is, it seems to be caused by Unity's libraries

java.lang.Error
in libc.tgkill
java.lang.Error: FATAL EXCEPTION [UnityMain]
Unity version : 4.3.4f1
Caused by: java.lang.Error: signal 6 (SIGABRT), code -6 (?), fault addr --------
at libc.tgkill(tgkill:12)

Does it happen all the times? Can you reinstall the app?
Many Thanks

And I partially include my game too in that category, I think it's ok, but it's the nth game in a category where other games have already told everything.
I hope that the next handheld/mobile consoles/platforms will change the offer, giving the traditional gamer better games, services and controls options.

RM8

To be honest, there are such an abysmal amount of games that actually work with touch controls/having something blocking the screen according to me that my attempts at building a decent collection pretty much leads nowhere.
Tip: buy a stylus. For shmups, tower defense and other genres that don't involve "virtual buttons", it makes gaming much better IMO, and it feels less weird than obstructing the screen with your fingers.

Some games I'd recommend:

Stuff I play with a stylus:
- Kingdom Rush
- Kingdom Rush Frontiers (IMO this is the best mobile game to date)
- Game Dev Story
- Pixels Defender Puzzle
- Shogun Bullet Hell (Shmups become way better with a stylus, but this is my favorite one)
- Jelly no Puzzle

Stuff that doesn't require you to downright obscure your entire screen:
- Super Hexagon (It's basically tapping the edges of the screen)
- Asphalt 7 (Same, just tap either side to steer, or you can use motion controls which I hate even more than touch buttons - I recommend 7 because it's way less greedy than the F2P 8)
- Riptide GP2 (Same as above
- Super Monkey Ball 2: Sakura Ed (...Except motion controls work flawlessly in this game! It was actually the first phone game I truly liked, along with Game Dev Story)
- Zookeeper DX
- Sonic Jump
- Rayman Jungle Run

When it comes to "virtual buttons" I wish developers would have an area of the screen dedicated to controls, like in Pizza Boy:

This way it doesn't feel like you're completely obstructing the screen.

jokkir

Thanks very much, I have no idea of what kind of error is, it seems to be caused by Unity's libraries

Does it happen all the times? Can you reinstall the app?
Many Thanks

And I partially include my game too in that category, I think it's ok, but it's the nth game in a category where other games have already told everything.
I hope that the next handheld/mobile consoles/platforms will change the offer, giving the traditional gamer better games, services and controls options.

Reinstalled. Still crashes on main menu. Loops restarts still.

Mine works. Are you rooted or something? Maybe something is interfering with the game.

borius

Neo Member
Reinstalled. Still crashes on main menu. Loops restarts still.

thanks, does it show the play game services login menu? Because I've seen it't not really well implemented and I'm going to show it only if the player wants to access to the leaderboards or achievements.
I'll send the updated version tomorrow night.

Thanks for testing! much appreciated.

VoidZero

Banned

I tried it on my Nexus 4 and on my Xperia Tablet Z. Works, no problems.

It's not a bad thing but man do you have to be precise, hit the ring once and you're out.(are the rings on fire?)

Could you make the connection to g+ an option instead? When you start the game, it tries to connect to g+ first (which I'm canceling).

borius

Neo Member
I tried it on my Nexus 4 and on my Xperia Tablet Z. Works, no problems.

It's not a bad thing but man do you have to be precise, hit the ring once and you're out.(are the rings on fire?)

Could you make the connection to g+ an option instead? When you start the game, it tries to connect to g+ first (which I'm canceling).

I'm considering to shring the hitbox on the top/bottom of the rings, because it sometimes seems like the game is cheating on the player as you noticed.

How was your score? from the old achievements stats it seems pretty easy to reach 10 points.

The connection will be option from tomorrow night, I accidentally forgot to fix it.
I will release an update with several bugs fixed and improvements.

It's so hard to find testers these days I had to release it :(

borius

Neo Member
It seems that I'm not a good of a player, my best is 7 :S

I recommend you try http://www.reddit.com/r/androidgaming.
Just be upfront about being the developer and so on and you might get some good feedback.

Well, you must improve then!

thanks for the link, I decided to post in the flappy jam clone thread, let see if I can recruit other testers.
http://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidGami...cial_flappy_bird_inspired_game_thread/cfxjoo1

Edit: I've found this interesting reddit but it seems pretty much desert, only 5 users are viewing it
http://www.reddit.com/r/playmygame/

Man, this 2nd anniversary sale really hit home how much I dislike mobile gaming. Remember the first massive Android Market sale? Minecraft Pocket, GameDev story, Sketchbook, and a couple dozen apps for 10 cents? Ownership.

Now it's a slew of "bonus gems on your timesink/stamina boosts!".

You hit the nail on the head right here. This is exactly how I feel now. I bought the Deus Ex game only because I felt like legit efforts should get some sort of sales but then I read that it has IAPs to buy ingame cash too. There's just no escaping this shit now.

VoidZero

Banned
Is Deus Ex: The Fall any good? I didn't beat Human Revolution yet so I'm trying to avoid spoilers tight now.
I played it a bit, my thoughts so far (+ positive, - negative):
+ it has good voice acting, never expected it from a mobile game
+ it seems to be faithful to the source material
+ it offers some options, not only run and gun
- so far the story is not that interesting
- sometimes the AI makes really bad mistakes or spots you for no apparent reason
- the controls are not ideal

It's not bad, but I can't recommend it.
To be honest from what I played, I simply think that the Fall is wasted potential. It only makes me think that I should be playing HR instead.

I've found this interesting reddit but it seems pretty much desert, only 5 users are viewing it
http://www.reddit.com/r/playmygame/
Interesting, I didn't know something like that existed.

ItIsOkBro

What are some games that fit all the following criteria:
free
landscape only
no tilting and shaking inputs

I just installed Android on my PC and I wanna see how games run!

Top Bottom