• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Threes! is out for Android for two bucks. Personally I like the game, but what a shit port: laggy and takes forever to load. Hopefully they'll improve it.

You'll probably appreciate fives

and it's free!

It adds some other nifty stuff like Expert mode, undo (you get 5 then can IAP for more) and randomize next number (5 free + IAP again). It also has integrated google leaderboards

Same game except with 5 as the base number, adding 3+2 to start.

It runs really smoothly on my devices.

RM8

I have Threes on my iPhone, yet I still think I like Fives better, lol. That being said, how on earth can you botch a port of such a simple game?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well, I'm hooked on QuizUp. It's just damn fun, and "just one more game" very easily turns into 10. Not really sure how they're making any money on this though. There are IAPs for earning XP faster, but I'm not sure what that's really good for other than moving up the leaderboards faster. I guess that's important to some people, but I'm having a great time without paying a dime.

Damaniel

Banned
Guess I'll skip it then. $2 for poorly optimized app isnt what I want to support.

I bought it on general principle (an actual paid app with no IAP in the Google Play store? Is it 2010 again?) and I figure the performance issues will get fixed fairly soon. Admittedly, having not played the iOS version, I don't find the game to be in the slightest bit laggy, and the initial load at the start of the game is only a few seconds (and just once, at that).

Considering that cheap, non IAP games don't show up all too much anymore (at least compared to the deluge of games, both F2P and paid, that are loaded with them), I tend to vote with my wallet when appropriate.

(Also, QuizUp is awesome too, even with IAP. Does anyone even buy those experience boosts? They don't really seem to serve any purpose but to inflate your ego, and I don't need my ego stroked to enjoy trivia. I'll still probably buy one just to support the devs. Overall, Android gaming has had a pretty good week.)

QuestLord is available for free today on the Amazon App Store. No idea if it is good but it looks interesting. Downloaded it just now and I'll give it a shot later.

docbon

Posting this in case anyone is interested:

http://albiononline.com/

Discovered this yesterday, and I'm already intrigued. It's a classless, player-driven sandbox RPG game with runescape aesthetics, full loot PVP, and town building. Next alpha test starts March 24th. Hoping to get in the test so I can check out how well it performs on my Note 2 (and if it's fun, of course). If it turns out well, I may or may not make a barebones thread on it.

1 minute into sorcery! and i'm already liking it a lot, i think it's pretty popular back in iOS right?

Sorcery's awesome, I played the first 2 all through on iOS back when they came out. Very much looking forward to the next one. My only complaint with it was the inability to start the game with separate characters. I often wish I could play through the other routes of that game without having to rewind the progress of my main playthrough.

Angst

You'll probably appreciate fives

and it's free!

It adds some other nifty stuff like Expert mode, undo (you get 5 then can IAP for more) and randomize next number (5 free + IAP again). It also has integrated google leaderboards

Same game except with 5 as the base number, adding 3+2 to start.

It runs really smoothly on my devices.

I've played a bit of Fives and to me it seems like it's using some trickery to hook you and make you pay for upgrades. First couple of games I managed pretty good numbers, but difficulty seems to have ramped and now I can't get anywhere near my original scores. I'm sure this would change if I used any of the IAPs... :/

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I've played a bit of Fives and to me it seems like it's using some trickery to hook you and make you pay for upgrades. First couple of games I managed pretty good numbers, but difficulty seems to have ramped and now I can't get anywhere near my original scores. I'm sure this would change if I used any of the IAPs... :/

You're wicked paranoid dude!

Game doesn't get trickier, there's an understandable logic to how it passes in numbers.

It will pass in from the direction that you slid and what it passes in will come on one of the rows/cols that had some sort of action that turn. Combination rows are more likely to have it than just sliding rows.

Crazy Taxi is FREE on the Play Store at least through today. There is a new Crazy Taxi coming out, so they're giving the old one away for free as a promo for the new one.
Just got it and it's a pretty terrible port imo. Or I'm just remembering wrong.

Still, I'm kinda looking forward to the new one if they build it around the mobile platform.

Chinbo37

So Im looking to get a wireless Android gamepad. Preferrably with dual sticks. Shoudl be small, to fit in your pocket if necessary but it DOES NOT need to physically connect to the device as I will be using it on my 10 inch tablet.

Is the NYKO the only option?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Clash of Clans got me in... I'm starting to kinda like mobile games.

I use to avoid those games with multiple currencies (with Redline Rush being the only exception) but my friends got me into Clash last week. I'm now also into Royal Revolt 2 and Kingdom Rush: Frontier.

Doczu

Hi guys, just bought a Nexus 7 (2013) and i'd like to ask someone for some gaming recommendations. Just until now i just gamed on my phone and i'm sure i missed a lot of good games (didn't play much on my xperia). So my question are:

1. What are some good "lookers"? A game which i could test the capabilities of the tablet. I've tried Real Racing 3, but it looks it isn't optimized for the hardware.
2. Some great strategy games. I like them all: turn based, rts, tower defense. What are the best of the best (f2p are also welcome, as long as they're not a chore to play).
3. Other great games are welcome too.

I've downloaded Dune 2 from the appstore (them memories!) and found open x-com for android, but above that i haven't had the time to dig in deeper. I know there are literally hundreds of sites, this long thread too (and the ones before), but i kindly ask some good GAF advice.

BTW, never thought i would need a tablet. The thing is just fantastic!

yogloo

So Im looking to get a wireless Android gamepad. Preferrably with dual sticks. Shoudl be small, to fit in your pocket if necessary but it DOES NOT need to physically connect to the device as I will be using it on my 10 inch tablet.

Is the NYKO the only option?

I would love to know about this too. It would be even better if the gamepad can work in windows 8.

danielcw

Can anybody recommend a chess game?

The Pure Chess thread, made me wonder, if there are better alternatives.
Also Pure Chess does not work on my weaker android phone

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hi guys, just bought a Nexus 7 (2013) and i'd like to ask someone for some gaming recommendations. Just until now i just gamed on my phone and i'm sure i missed a lot of good games (didn't play much on my xperia). So my question are:

1. What are some good "lookers"? A game which i could test the capabilities of the tablet. I've tried Real Racing 3, but it looks it isn't optimized for the hardware.
2. Some great strategy games. I like them all: turn based, rts, tower defense. What are the best of the best (f2p are also welcome, as long as they're not a chore to play).

I've downloaded Dune 2 from the appstore (them memories!) and found open x-com for android, but above that i haven't had the time to dig in deeper. I know there are literally hundreds of sites, this long thread too (and the ones before), but i kindly ask some good GAF advice.

If you're looking for strategy check out Hoplite.

If you're looking for an all around great game, check out Bad Piggies. It's from Rovio which may leave you reasonably skeptical, but it's a god damn awesome game. Super fun and challenging and not luck based like Angry Birds. It's more of a puzzle game where you have to figure out the best way to build vehicles to meet all the challenges. Some real Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts vibes.

It's probably my favorite mobile game.

Some good free apps at Amazon AppStore as part of a celebration of some kind.

Yeah, it's their Appstore birthday celebration, and they're handing out a bunch of free apps. The giveaway should last until the end of the day.
- Bardbarian - Golden Lute Edition (Free App of the Day)
- Ski Safari: Adventure Time
- Monopoly
- SpinArt
- Dr. Panda's Airport
- Fruit Ninja: Puss in Boots
- Sketchbook Pro
- Worms 2: Armageddon (Kindle Tablet Edition)
- Worms 2: Armageddon (Non-Kindle)
- Swype Keyboard
- POLARIS Office
- mSecure Password Manager
- Runtastic PRO
- PrintHand Mobile Print Premium
- King of Math Junior
- Battle Maiden Yuko Runner

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Get Shardlands.

MarkusRJR

Just got Cook, Serve, Delicious and recommend it outright. Probably my favorite android game so far.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for games like these:
-A good tycoon game.
-An Animal Crossing clone
-An Ouendan/EBA clone (I remember there being one for android but forgot the name)

Thanks. :)

Yo, Wikipedia says that pier solar hd is supposed to release on Android today. I haven't seen this said anywhere else. Anyone know anything about that?

Seventy5

Castle Doombad is out on Android for $2.99. I haven't seen any news on it releasing so I thought I would spread the word. It is amazingly fun and worth every penny. If you were disappointed by Dungeon Keeper (lol) give this a try.

Doczu

Anyone try the djmax game yet? 1gb is pretty big for me and not sure if it's worth it or not. Seems like all the songs are free?

Nope, just a few songs are free, game crashes on my nexus 7 (2013) almost after every song and it thanks to it i can fry some eggse on the back. Anyway, it's quite fun.

linsivvi

Castle Doombad is out on Android for $2.99. I haven't seen any news on it releasing so I thought I would spread the word. It is amazingly fun and worth every penny. If you were disappointed by Dungeon Keeper (lol) give this a try.

Great game. Thanks for the recommendation.

jokkir

Dokuro is a pretty charming game (and so far good). The problem is that there are ads and, for some really stupid reason, no way to exit the game other than pressing the home button. Or at least not a really obvious way to do so.

Portugeezer

Never thought I would be excited about mobile gaming, but I'm getting a new phone soon, should be arriving tomorrow and I am willing to give it a chance. The quality of mobile games seems to have risen as far as fidelity and non-tacked on shitty controls. It's very hard to sift through what is good or bad on the play store, even googling leaves me with the feeling that some games would be missed.

I know the obvious games (I think, please no Angry Birds and rope cutting, no candy crushing... etc). What are some games with good touch controls? I feel that strategy games may be good. It also seems that there are a lot of sci-fi games on mobiles. I already have a small list of games I will try out:

Shadowrun Returns (impulse bought this for PC, seems like a good android game)
251263-shahd.jpg

Chaos Rings 2 (not sure how good it will be but JRPG with nice graphics from SE)

Mines of Mars

Gemini Rue

Out There (Poor mans FTL? I'll try it for now)

Knights of Pen and Paper +1

My God I wish FTL was on Android...

Top Bottom