• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

NH Apache

Banned
I have to admit, and this may be a bit off topic, but I don't know if I could spend 15 bucks on a mobile game unless it was straight, into my veins, sort of crack.

In other news, I've put about 25 hours into Brave frontier. So many facets to this game that I'm just getting in. I don't understand the need to have "energy" in the game, but I guess that is the bucking trend.

I have to admit, and this may be a bit off topic, but I don't know if I could spend 15 bucks on a mobile game unless it was straight, into my veins, sort of crack.

In other news, I've put about 25 hours into Brave frontier. So many facets to this game that I'm just getting in. I don't understand the need to have "energy" in the game, but I guess that is the bucking trend.

I have a Shield, so I'm much more inclined to buy a $15 game which supports controllers on a whim. I have no idea why Square are so averse to adding support for physical controls to their games, I'd even blow cash on those if they did.

Brave Frontier is like crack, I think I'm addicted. Haven't spent any money on and haven't come across any walls yet. But would definitely be nice to have no energy, luckily you get more as you level up though.

Most recent Rayman Jungle Run update broke the game on my Note 2.

It loads the first splash screen and then crashes. This game has seriously had some of the WORST updates in memory. It was the first game I've played where an update erased all of my save data (a 100% completion I think), and now it's not even working because of an update those only purpose was to get the game running on a few newer phones, ugh.

And what's even worse is that I didn't even have auto update on, I manually chose to update the game for whatever insane reason!

yogloo

Most recent Rayman Jungle Run update broke the game on my Note 2.

It loads the first splash screen and then crashes. This game has seriously had some of the WORST updates in memory. It was the first game I've played where an update erased all of my save data (a 100% completion I think), and now it's not even working because of an update those only purpose was to get the game running on a few newer phones, ugh.

And what's even worse is that I didn't even have auto update on, I manually chose to update the game for whatever insane reason!
I was thinking of double dipping sonic on Android after I bought it on ios. This is the exact reason I didn't after reading all the horrid reviews about game breaking updates on Google Play.

VoidZero

Banned
Joe Dever's Lone Wolf is on sale: play store

It's a choose your own adventure game.
It has a lot of text, which is to be expected for these kind of games. And the battle is fully 3d with some QTEs.

I was thinking of double dipping sonic on Android after I bought it on ios. This is the exact reason I didn't after reading all the horrid reviews about game breaking updates on Google Play.

In defense of Android in general, Rayman is the only game I've ever had this happen with. The Play Store does make it easy to turn off autoupdates and looking at the most up-to-date reviews will usually tell you if it breaks the game or not (you can even search for app reviews by people who have the same device you have).

But then again I don't do too much gaming on Android, so it may be problem with other games that I haven't owned yet.

yogloo

I had it happened to me on several games.
Toki tori and jet set radio both won't run on my phone and tablet. I haven't checked recently but it is quite a bummer when you buy a game and it won't run.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not sure if it has already been posted, but Shardlands is a pretty cool 3rd person puzzler. It looks great and runs very smoothly on my Nexus 5, and one thing I really appreciate is that it uses the new "immersive mode", which makes the game truly full-screen by removing both the status bar and the navigation bar. Wish more/all games did this.

It's a bit aggressive with the ads in the free version though. Unskippable video ads in-between levels, not fun.

EDIT: Ok, beaten. But still!

I had it happened to me on several games.
Toki tori and jet set radio both won't run on my phone and tablet. I haven't checked recently but it is quite a bummer when you buy a game and it won't run.

You can still get a refund past the 15 minute window. Go to the main google play website, click the settings icon, My Orders, and then click on the three dot drop down menu and click on Report a Problem. From there you can ask for a refund and they usually give it to you.

yogloo

You can still get a refund past the 15 minute window. Go to the main google play website, click the settings icon, My Orders, and then click on the three dot drop down menu and click on Report a Problem. From there you can ask for a refund and they usually give it to you.

That's nice to know. The 15 mins window for refund is bull crap. It should be at least a day.

DiscoJer

G5's free game this week is Totem Tribes Gold, seems like a Time Management game

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.g5e.totemtribegold.giveaway.full

Help Aruku, a chief of the Hawk tribe, restore peace and lead her tribe to a better future in this real-time strategy and adventure game!
On a beautiful chain of islands, life used to be peaceful until a comet fell from the sky. Now, tribes and creatures that once lived in harmony are fighting each other. Help reestablish balance by exploring the islands, gathering sacred Totems and returning them to their home – the Cradle of the North. To end the war once and for all, develop your villages, warriors and weapons by building huts, training grounds, archery ranges, scout lodges and barracks. Bring prosperity back to this struggling planet by enhancing the Hawk tribe’s skills and equipment.
Features:
● 32 Enchanted locations to search
● 22 Adventurous quests and mini-games
● 20 Precious artifacts to locate and preserve
● Real-time strategy and adventure game

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I totally just did a ton of recommendations in another thread, I'll drop em here too.

mZtiAd9ll_BzcBADksDWnbPyzmELVumVaseTKIR0W9md91R_YN27PV4hnZGvto8iNeSv=s0

Hoplite is faaaantastic! It takes a couple tries to really understand the mechanics but once you do it's surprisingly deep/strategic and enjoyable!

Have you heard of Threes on iOS? Well check out Fives on Android! Same basic principal, combine the numbers to get as high as you can. Stupid addictive.

Cook, Serve, Delicious! This game is more involved than the others, you've gotta dedicate about ~8 minutes to one game but it's SOOOO fun. It's wicked engaging and surprisingly demanding of you. You run a restaurant (it's not like those other lame restaraunt sims) and it's almost WarioWare esque in what it asks of you. I linked to the demo, but they have a full paid version as well which is mega worth it.

Ridiculous Fishing is a real fun game too.

rymdkapsel is a slick little strategy game with a sweet art style. When I first played I thought it was sort of dumb but as you get more involved it's got a great little RTS vibe to it. Build more!

Hundreds is a cool game (though I think the difficulty curve is a bit steep.) You basically just have to press the circles until you fill up to 100 points. Then you unlock the next level where you do the same thing. It's basically a puzzle game with a bit of strategy to it. It's worth trying for sure.

Oh DUDE! Jelly No Puzzle! This was first described to me as "The Dark Souls of puzzle games" which got a laugh outta me but the games really fab! All you gotta do is connect the like colored jellies but what's best about this game is that it's actually challenging from the start and requires some real thinking to complete. You know how most puzzle games have about 30 puzzles which are just mindlessly easy? This game front loads with the ones that already take effort to solve and then only gets tougher from there. It's INCREDIBLY satisfying to complete a puzzle.

People probably already said Super Hexagon and rightfull so, it's one of the best.

If you enjoy multiplayer Worms games, Worms 2: Armageddon is a really great version on Android.

The Rayman games are really well made.

The last game I'd recommend is Bad Piggies but since it's Rovio some people may just not care instantly. It totally has a Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts/Kerbal Space Program vibe to it and it was my absolute favorite android game for a while. So much fun even just dicking around in.

If I think of any more I'll drop em in here!

linsivvi

RM8

Guise, give Shadow Blade a try, it finally made it to Android! It's a ninja platformer, kind of like Super Meat Boy meets Shinobi (though the focus is definitely on the platforming, not so much on the combat). On Android it's free, with one full-game purchase, so basically it's a "premium" game with no IAPs. It's pretty fun on iPhone, seems to be the exact same experience on my Xperia SP (unlike Ridge Racer which got ruined during the transition to Android).

Halcyon

Guise, give Shadow Blade a try, it finally made it to Android! It's a ninja platformer, kind of like Super Meat Boy meets Shinobi (though the focus is definitely on the platforming, not so much on the combat). On Android it's free, with one full-game purchase, so basically it's a "premium" game with no IAPs. It's pretty fun on iPhone, seems to be the exact same experience on my Xperia SP (unlike Ridge Racer which got ruined during the transition to Android).

How does it control? I kind of hate using a directional pad for touch games.

Gxgear

Been looking for this thread now that I've finally switch to Android. Other than Zoo Keeper so far, not much has held my attention for any extended amount of time.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Thanks Alo81 for your recommendations post. I bought Ridiculous Fishing and tried out that cooking game and have been enjoying them a lot. I love posts like that! Will check out the others over time too. But man are those two games really really fun.

Cross-posting from the Shield thread:

So this is awesome.

Kainy just got updated with full gamepad support. I've tested it with RE4 on Steam, and it appears to fully emulate a 360 controller, so if your GPU hardware or the game itself isn't supported by Nvidia streaming you can now do the next best thing.

Server: http://www.kainy.com/download.html

Client: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kainy.client

So you can now hook a controller up to your tablet and stream games from your PC without needing to buy a new GPU and a Shield :)

Have you tried out Limelight?

How does this compare?

I can't use Limelight right now because it needs Nvidia hardware, but I'd assume it wouldn't perform as well as Limelight because it needs to capture frames and compress them in RAM. Anything which uses the GPU streaming on GTX > 600 cards will perform better.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Thanks Alo81 for your recommendations post. I bought Ridiculous Fishing and tried out that cooking game and have been enjoying them a lot. I love posts like that! Will check out the others over time too. But man are those two games really really fun.

Glad to share! They're all games I've sunk a lot of time into and I think they're all worth trying out so I felt it worthwhile to post about em!

Vic_Bast

Do you guys know if there is any way to download brave frontier besides Google play?
The game appears as blocked to my country.

linsivvi

Do you guys know if there is any way to download brave frontier besides Google play?
The game appears as blocked to my country.

Either side load (download the apk and install it using a file manager), or download a Chrome extension called APK Downloader, which I use to get all regionally locked F2P games.

Once you downloaded the APK with this extension, you don't even need to sideload it. You can install the game on Google play from now on.

Top Bottom