• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wish we'd get some info on Magic. I need to know is they are gonna be lax with no online play again this year or not.

No excuse this year. Doublely so with Google Play games and their SDK stuff for online play. Triplely so with Hearthstone loming for late 2014.

louiedog

This morning a trailer was posted on the official XCOM Facebook page that indicated the Android port was coming to Google Play and Amazon on Wednesday. They took it down and said that was in error and that it was "coming soon."

Unless they created a trailer and then pushed it back, I'd bet on it actually coming this Wednesday.

This morning a trailer was posted on the official XCOM Facebook page that indicated the Android port was coming to Google Play and Amazon on Wednesday. They took it down and said that was in error and that it was "coming soon."

Unless they created a trailer and then pushed it back, I'd bet on it actually coming this Wednesday.

Shit yeah

anddo0

Great day indeed!

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Now Available on Android
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04...n-now-available-on-android-amazon-coming-soon

They could've picked a better store logo. I almost missed it
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tt2kgames.xcomeu

anddo0

Whoa, 3.63GB...

Dat graphically rich game.

I'm disappointed it doesn't work on my Sony tablet. I may hold off on purchasing it until they roll out updates. I could play it on my S3, but I'm sure I would have to kill all the settings.

anddo0

Will Shadowrun work fine on a Nexus 10? I just got mine and haven't even played a game on it yet.

It works on the 7. I don't know about the 10.

Compatible with my S4 and my TF101 .... that first gen Tegra 2 tablet.
Not on my Nexus 7 though .. which is a Terga 3?

Yeah. I'm guessing they didn't test it yet?

It just rolled out, so I hope they update the compatibility list soon.

Twinduct

It works on the 7. I don't know about the 10.

Yeah. I'm guessing they didn't test it yet?

It just rolled out, so I hope they update the compatibility list soon.

Yeah I imagine the list will change. Gonna hold off for now though. Finished the game & the Xpack recently so feeling kind of winded on it right now.

Joco

Pleasantly surprised to see XCOM: Enemy Unknown come to Android. Have been playing this on my Nexus 5 and have been very impressed by the performance.

Pleasantly surprised to see XCOM: Enemy Unknown come to Android. Have been playing this on my Nexus 5 and have been very impressed by the performance.

Good to hear, I'm downloading it to mine as I type this. I was hoping for Nvidia Shield support though, no dice at this stage.

soultron

Banned
Out There is interesting, but it doesn't share much in common with FTL, mechanically.

You have resources, travelling and certain events cost resources. Materials mined/probed can build new ship modules to give new abilities.

It's more about managing your resources and getting more materials to build and expand your ability set to do more things than it is about surviving crazy shit like FTL.

Theres no real time danger in Out There. Sometimes certain events end up costing more resources than you thought and that puts you at risk. You basically flip back and forth between several screens to manage your ship and chose where to go next (micro level in solar system , macro in the galaxy).

It's fun in its own way, but it's not FTL.

RGamer2009

Neo Member
So is there anything they did to make it more F2P? I bought it before for 3$ and would suck if I had to buy other stuff to be able to play it without buying stuff in game

The In-Game normal currency (rings) is used quite a bit, but it is not hard at all to amass this currency. Even if you lose a race or cup, you will STILL EARN RINGS. Even the Premium currency isn't too hard to get. Stars are gotten by how high the difficulty you attempted. If you beat the level on the highest difficulty, you will get 4 stars. Hard gets 3, medium gets 2, and easy gets 1.

Every cup/race has a cost for 3 difficulties and one difficulty that is simply free to access. I played the free difficulty levels (which go up every world tour section by one difficulty) and have plenty of in-game currency to try the other difficulties if necessary.

Easy is 100 rings, Medium is 500 rings, Hard is 1000 rings, and Expert is one Star. In the single player modes one of these difficulties will be free, no matter if it is easy, medium or hard. This means it gradually makes the free one increase in difficulty every game section which eases you into the new controls and gradually gets you better at the game, without spending large amounts of rings in the process.

You use the in-game currency to buy new characters once you have unlocked them, and to upgrade your vehicle to make it faster, handle better, and drift better to win harder race events easier. These become easier to purchase once you have some rings from the free difficulty events.

I have upgraded Sonic completely and can win events relatively easy now. Even the toughest difficulty isn't too much of an issue, and It only costs 1 star. I have 87 stars now and 47,000 rings and I basically have 4 of the 5 world tour sections completed and have 4 of the 5 grand prix sections completed. And I haven't paid a cent for any of it.

That's right, I have not once paid past the 1$ fee I initially paid to play the game. And now that it is completely free to download, you may not have to pay at ALL. That's pretty awesome.

npa189

Is GTA: San Andreas any good on mobile? It would be fun to replay it. Strangely it says my LG gpad isn't comparable even though I know it is, I think the Google play model number is throwing it off, snapdragon 600 should be more than enough.

Happy to report that XCOM works, looks, and plays perfectly on my Nexus 7 2013.

Question - can you carry over your game from Steam to Android? Would be great to play it on my laptop, save it, then pick up the saved edition on my Android for gaming on the go.

I've got about a dozen hours invested on Steam and can't see myself picking it up on Android unless I can keep going (vs. starting over).

Santiako

Question - can you carry over your game from Steam to Android? Would be great to play it on my laptop, save it, then pick up the saved edition on my Android for gaming on the go.

I've got about a dozen hours invested on Steam and can't see myself picking it up on Android unless I can keep going (vs. starting over).

Nope

Spinluck

Dat graphically rich game.

I'm disappointed it doesn't work on my Sony tablet. I may hold off on purchasing it until they roll out updates. I could play it on my S3, but I'm sure I would have to kill all the settings.

I put it on my wishlist, will probably get it when I get a new phone. I don't have the space for this atm.

Doczu

Ok, XCOM plays fantastically on the new Nexus 7, but there are some minor bugs (mostly with sound. There are no Skyranger sounds when it's landing during missions; also sometimes guns or aliens don't give any sounds at all). Other than that it's a perfect port. Bummed with the graphics a bit (i know, mobile port), but they could give the characters some shadows... Oh and no Guile hairstyle? Fuck that shit!

And the most important question is. Why is it Enemy Unknown, and not Enemy Within? Seriously, i've played the expansion and without it it feels... empty. Are there no plans on porting the expansion? I've tried searching, asking 2K customer service, but you know what kind of anwsers that gives.

Doczu

Ok, so after playing with Enemy Unknown here's what i think:

Pros:
1. It's mobile XCOM! (with all it's up and downsides)

Cons:
1. It's Enemy Unknown, not Within... (yes, i know it's Enemy Unknown, because it's a port of Enemy Unknown, but everyone who played the expansion will know what i mean)
2. some minor sound bugs (missing)
3. missing video clips (research, autopsies, interigations etc.)
4. No Guile hairstyle?!
5. no close-up's when you discover aliens during missions (those short cinematics, which were cool)

So it's a great port of a great game, but flawed. Hope to see some patched in content.

Santiako

No Guile hair is definitely the most dissapointing thing about the port. Mostly everything else is great. The default camera is a bit too close maybe.

Ok, so after playing with Enemy Unknown here's what i think:

Pros:
1. It's mobile XCOM! (with all it's up and downsides)

Cons:
1. It's Enemy Unknown, not Within... (yes, i know it's Enemy Unknown, because it's a port of Enemy Unknown, but everyone who played the expansion will know what i mean)
2. some minor sound bugs (missing)
3. missing video clips (research, autopsies, interigations etc.)
4. No Guile hairstyle?!
5. no close-up's when you discover aliens during missions (those short cinematics, which were cool)

So it's a great port of a great game, but flawed. Hope to see some patched in content.

That pro is pretty huge to those cons. At least for me.

A lot of the extra flair would have added to an already large download. I'm enjoying this port a lot so far.

XCOM is monopolising my time, so I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it. I never managed to get into it on PC, but it's perfect on my Nexus 5. Hopefully the rest of the missing iOS gems like Warhammer make it over soon too.

Top Bottom