• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

I know that Dragon Quest 8 has frame rate issues, but I was wondering if it's still not great on newer phones like the Note 4, or if it's bad performance is consistent across all devices.

I know that Dragon Quest 8 has frame rate issues, but I was wondering if it's still not great on newer phones like the Note 4, or if it's bad performance is consistent across all devices.
It should perform better to some degree on newer hardware unless the programming is unbelievable dumb.

amrod

Just got a Samsung galaxy S 10 ... Best screen I've ever seen, wish I could find a 30" pc monitor with its screen

Any must play games?

Is there any way to connect a wii controller so I could use the Wii Classic Controller?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Just got a Samsung galaxy S 10 ... Best screen I've ever seen, wish I could find a 30" pc monitor with its screen

Any must play games?

Is there any way to connect a wii controller so I could use the Wii Classic Controller?

Monument Valley

Wolf Among Us

Gun Animal

Just got a Samsung Galaxy Avant. So far, only decent game I can find for it is Goat Simulator... Can someone recommend me some cool games, if there are any?

I like:
fucked up games (Goat Simulator; Bubsy Visits the James Turrell Retrospective)
stealth games (metal gear solid)
weird japanese games (Earthbound)
Character Action (God Hand, Killer is Dead, DMC)

I realize you can't expect anything close to Console production values on mobile devices, but I'm getting real tired of these block puzzles and endless runners. In the meantime I'll check out Vanillalite's suggestions above. edit: and I know Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio are on there, played 'em too much already on Dreamcast.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Just got a Samsung Galaxy Avant. So far, only decent game I can find for it is Goat Simulator... Can someone recommend me some cool games, if there are any?

I like:
fucked up games (Goat Simulator; Bubsy Visits the James Turrell Retrospective)
stealth games (metal gear solid)
weird japanese games (Earthbound)
Character Action (God Hand, Killer is Dead, DMC)

I realize you can't expect anything close to Console production values on mobile devices, but I'm getting real tired of these block puzzles and endless runners. In the meantime I'll check out Vanillalite's suggestions above. edit: and I know Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio are on there, played 'em too much already on Dreamcast.

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!
Swords and Sworcery
Cook Serve Delicious!
Dead Space
Entwined Challenge
Mage Gauntlet
McPixel
Wayward Souls
XCOM: Enemy Within

Those are that games that never leave my phone, and all of them combined made me believe that the mobile platform is totally viable for gaming.

The Banner Saga chugs on my Galaxy S5, so I'm not sure you're going to have much luck with that one.

Monument Valley works on my Nook HD+, which benchmarks lower than a Note 2. Hitman Go also works, but I had to get it through the Amazon app store. Google Play doesn't consider it compatible, even though I've played it and it's fine.

To my surprise, both Amazon and Google Play will let me install The Banner Saga. It would take over an hour on my work internet, but I'll try it out when I get home and let you know how it goes.
Cheers for the advice.

Suppose I'll wait and see how BS plays on Vita.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Had coins and grabbed Hitman Go on Amazon App Store. Did what I usually do and purchased through the web. However, I'm now told it's not compatible with my Nexus 7. Boo. Also not seeing it on my Moto X. Dagnabbit.

moojito

Had coins and grabbed Hitman Go on Amazon App Store. Did what I usually do and purchased through the web. However, I'm now told it's not compatible with my Nexus 7. Boo. Also not seeing it on my Moto X. Dagnabbit.

That's weird. It works fine on the nexus 5

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member

Amazon are terrible for locking some top games to the Kindle devices only, I'm very cautious on picking up anything paid from their store, even with the generous amounts of coins they drop on us.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Amazon are terrible for locking some top games to the Kindle devices only, I'm very cautious on picking up anything paid from their store, even with the generous amounts of coins they drop on us.

That isn't the case for Hitman Go, though. I bought it from Amazon and installed it on both my Nook and my S5.

I can't find any rhyme or reason for the Amazon app store's restrictions. Just make sure you can purchase the app from the device you want to play it on.

jvm

Gamasutra.
That isn't the case for Hitman Go, though. I bought it from Amazon and installed it on both my Nook and my S5.

I can't find any rhyme or reason for the Amazon app store's restrictions. Just make sure you can purchase the app from the device you want to play it on.
That's the thing -- I can see it through the store app on my Nexus 7. It even has an [Install] button on that game's page through the Amazon App Store app on the Nexus 7. But when you tap the [Install] button, only then do you get the "incompatible" message. :(

That's odd, I have a 2013 Nexus 7 and I installed it fine through Amazon.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
That's the thing -- I can see it through the store app on my Nexus 7. It even has an [Install] button on that game's page through the Amazon App Store app on the Nexus 7. But when you tap the [Install] button, only then do you get the "incompatible" message. :(

That's very strange. Probably worth contacting CS and getting a refund.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Yes, 5.01.
Same here. Dangit. I really wanted to play this, and having the coins made it so easy. Perhaps I shall call CS...

Edit: Cleared cache and data on App Store app, and forced it to quit. Then restarted the App Store app and let it refresh my library. Then it downloaded...waiting on it to finish, but definitely looking up!

yasu151

I've really been enjoying Scrolls. It's a mix of clash of heroes, homm3 and magic (just played with cards myself, not the pc game).

boxoctosis

Quick question - does Carcassonne have asymmetric multiplayer, and is the app a good version?

I played tonnes of the iOS version and its about the only thing I missed when moving to Android.

How is Baulder's Gate on android? Just got a Note Edge and I'm wondering how playable it is even with a screen of that size. Is it only intended for android tablets?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yeah I've got a weird issue on my Nexus 4 where Crossy Road is just bombing out after getting into game. Bummer!

How is Baulder's Gate on android? Just got a Note Edge and I'm wondering how playable it is even with a screen of that size. Is it only intended for android tablets?

I haven't tried Baldur's Gate yet but I have played Shadowrun on my Note 2, Note 3, and Note 4 and it looks fine. I personally have no problems with the text either. I am also thinking it will be fine for Baldur's Gate judging by the screenshots in the play store in landscape.

It's here! Hearthstone is finally here!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blizzard.wtcg.hearthstone

Nooooooooooo :(

Only available in Canada, New Zealand and Australia so far. Coming to other regions "soon".

Same here. Incompatible with my 2012 Nexus 7 and LG L90 (Even my old Exhibit II). One of the reviews was with a Nexus 7, so it's probably just a region-lock thing. When it's officially available in the US, it's gotta be compatible with something.

Same here. Incompatible with my 2012 Nexus 7 and LG L90 (Even my old Exhibit II). One of the reviews was with a Nexus 7, so it's probably just a region-lock thing. When it's officially available in the US, it's gotta be compatible with something.

I just hope I can run it on my Note 4. No sense in getting a tablet when my phone is big enough.

Orcastar

It's a region lock thing. The Play Store always lists apps that are not available in your region as incompatible with all devices.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
How is Cook, Serve, Delicious? I owe (and love) the PC version of the game. Kinda weary on how well it would work with touch screen controls.

Top Bottom