• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

I notice that Kingdom Rush: Origins is compatible with my phone via the Google Play store... but if I try to buy it on the Amazon App Store, it says it isn't compatible. I have a Nexus 4. Any idea why the difference?

awp69

I notice that Kingdom Rush: Origins is compatible with my phone via the Google Play store... but if I try to buy it on the Amazon App Store, it says it isn't compatible. I have a Nexus 4. Any idea why the difference?

Amazon often forces fake incompatibility on apps on their store. Basically, their version would probably only be compatible with Kindles and their Fire phone
-- although I doubt that would really be the case.

Valiant Hearts is out on Android and Android TV.

For the Android version, it's split up into four episodes; $4.99 for episode 1, with IAPs for episodes 2-4 costing $4.48 individually or $10 as a bundle. Looks like the Android TV entry includes all four episodes, since it costs $14.99 upfront.

kingdom rush origins is great. don't really like tower defense games but this one is pretty deep yet very refined with whimsical art and characters

Some more sales (along with DQIV, as I mentioned above):
Surgeon Simulator ($2.99; 50% off)
Knock Knock ($2.12; 50% off)
Deep Dungeons of Doom ($1.99; 60% off)
Thomas Was Alone ($2.99; 50% off)
Republique (Episode 1) ($1.99; 60% off)
The Banner Saga ($4.99; 50% off) (Amazon)

The Play Store is also giving away a deadmau5 album.

EDIT 2: This one's over. (Taken from CAG) The Amazon Appstore has 10 apps for free right now:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...O|B00AKO93JK|B004SDSSFY|B004VMVTNU|B00881PPTO

Finally, the Australian Amazon store put up the Thanksgiving/Black Friday free apps special, so expect the promo tomorrow to be similar to this list:
Bejeweled 2
Sonic Jump
Angry Birds Seasons (Ad-Free)
Bike Race Pro
Cooking Dash: T&S Deluxe
Sago Mini Space Explorer
Angry Birds Seasons HD (Fire Edition)
Quell Memento
Dark Guardians
Fairway Solitaire (Full)
Shredder Chess
Dr. Panda & Toto's Treehouse
Mind Games Pro
Tales of Illyria: Fallen Knight
Parking Frenzy 2.0
Einstein's Challenge Full
Hidden Objects Thanksgiving
A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving
EDGE Extended
Forest Legends: The Call of Love
Polar Bowler
RPG Symphony of the Origin (Kemco)
Stack 'N Puzzles

Docs To Go Premium Key
MyBackup Pro
Perfectly Clear
XiiaLive Pro - Internet Radio
WiFi File Explorer Pro
MAPS.ME Pro - Offline Maps
Mobile Observatory
Alarm Clock Pro
Simple-List Pro
Photo Editor+
Moon Phase Pro
TouchRetouch
Dictionary!
Excel<_>Contacts
Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 11th Edition
Music Volume EQ
Splashtop Whiteboard

So, my OnePlus arrived yesterday - Any games someone would recommend that will give these specs a run for their money - IE, is the port of San Andreas any good?

That, and while I'm at it - Should I be able to run most of my PSP library on it via PPSSPP?

ilium

I'm looking for a good and deep RPG on Android (Moto G). Not a big fan of touch controls, so preferably turn based. Have played all FFs and DQs on DS and PSP already, so please don't recommend those :p
I also already own TWEWY and Knights of pen & paper.
I'd love to get IWD or BG enhanced, but not sure if those are playable on a small phone screen. Can someone confirm?
I also read that shadowrun has super small Text on phone screens so this is out of the question sadly.
I don't really care all that much about the artstyle but since i already own TWEWY something non-anime would be nice.

Any suggestions?

I'm looking for a good and deep RPG on Android (Moto G). Not a big fan of touch controls, so preferably turn based. Have played all FFs and DQs on DS and PSP already, so please don't recommend those :p
I also already own TWEWY and Knights of pen & paper.
I'd love to get IWD or BG enhanced, but not sure if those are playable on a small phone screen. Can someone confirm?
I also read that shadowrun has super small Text on phone screens so this is out of the question sadly.
I don't really care all that much about the artstyle but since i already own TWEWY something non-anime would be nice.

Any suggestions?

I was going to suggest the Hyperdevbox port of Agarest War. Really good and deep and still on sale I believe. But it is anime style art. There is also Bards Tale that is non-anime and a good big game.

I used Dosbox Turbo to run Master of Orion II on my HP Touchpad with Android (4.4.1? I can't remember the version I ported over) a while back. Super awesome actually.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's amazing how much better Wolf Among Us runs on the snap 801 vs the underclocked 600 in the N7.

Where the 600 had some frame rate issues and audio stutter the 801 has none.

wondermega

quoting myself from indie dev thread - I need Android beta testers!

blastRoverSurvey_iconLogoSample.jpg

br2.gif

br4.gif

br5.gif

click for somewhat dated gameplay video

CALL FOR HELP!

Attention my fellow indie developers, and fans of such.

After a lonnnnnnnnng gestation period, my 2 cohorts and I are nearly ready to unleash Blast Rover on the world(s).

We are at the 98% mark and need to get a little feedback from some testers now. I have a PC build and an Android build to submit. If you are interested, please PM me or give a shoutout to twitter @headcaseGames. All I request is that you give the game at least 10 minutes of your attention, and fill out a brief survey following your experience. Be harsh, but fair!

Please only participate if you are interested in providing useful feedback. Thank you :)

(and now for the markety "about" stuff)

Blast Rover can be described as a cross-breed of Super Meat Boy and Moon Patrol.

You must pilot an Armored Planetary Rover across the 8 planets of our Solar System, recapturing 20 levels in each World from a menacing Alien Empire.

Each level is filled will countless alien monsters to destroy, mind-bending puzzles to navigate, and dubiously-placed treasures to capture! A true test of reflexes, skill, and wits, Blast Rover is perfectly suited for pick-up-and-play or long sessions of exploration.

- 4 challenge modes per level
- Simple controls for both keyboard or touchscreen
- Unique Mechanics that evolve as you play

Staff (all gaffers):

- Pat Derosby/MTMBStudios (Design/Coding) - (Null Divide, Mute Crimson)

- Ron Alpert/Headcase Games (Art/Concept/Production) - (Lords of Magic, Caesar III, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Alpha Protocol, 180)

- SadSic (Music)

ilium

so i bought battleheart legacy couple of days ago and just can't stop playing, it's so good!
skill system just begs to be exploited will all kinds of crazy combos, graphics are nice and fluid, branching dialog trees, controls work really good aswell...
what a pleasent suprise this game has been!
it's a little bit light on quests however and feels a bit too grindy at times. but other than that it's an amazing game and i can only recommend it if you're looking for a good rpg on android. replay value also seems to be pretty high, i can't wait to get to ng+ and perfect my build.
only thing i'm missing is co-op multiplayer.

here's hoping it sells well enough so they consider a sequel and refine it further. the foundation is certainly there.

bomblord1

Banned
Hey guys I have a Nexus 7 (2013) and was wondering if anyone could reccomend some good RPG/action/adventure games on android? I got this tablet with the intention of doing light gaming on it but I haven't seriously tried any games in over a year.

Thanks in advance for any reccomendations

zulux21

Hey guys I have a Nexus 7 (2013) and was wondering if anyone could reccomend some good RPG/action/adventure games on android? I got this tablet with the intention of doing light gaming on it but I haven't seriously tried any games in over a year.

my recommendation would be to give terra battle a try.
it's a free to play strat rpg from mistwalker
even has its own thread on neogaf

maybe inflation rpg, tiny dice, or puzzles and dragons... beyond that I can't help much I basically play terra battle, and read manga and comics on my tablet right now :p

kmfdmpig

I recommend Hello Hero. It's a bit grindy once you've played for a while, but it's fun and there's enough to do that I've played it a lot for a few months and never considered any IAP.

Dicer

Banned
o.k. today is the 8th supposedly new Hearthstone xpac and Android tablet release, why is there not a drop of news about this?

Dicer

Banned
Wait, is the Android release confirmed for today? Worldwide?

I thought it was supposed to come alongside Gobs vs Gnomes, but all info has since floated away, so probably not :/

Kinda bullshit, not like porting it over would be a huge task...

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
does anyone have any recommendations for a good android controller? im finally looking to invest in one, but dont know what to make the drop on

Pachimari

I'm getting frustrated with the lack of news about a phone release of Hearthstone.

I guess I can play it on my PC in the meantime.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
does anyone have any recommendations for a good android controller? im finally looking to invest in one, but dont know what to make the drop on

I used this to play emulators on my tablet. For such a cheap controller, I was pretty happy with it. Battery life, size, and compatibility were all great. My only real complaint was that the analog nub wasn't very comfortable.

I have this coming in the mail today. It was $6 cheaper when I ordered it the other day, though. I'll post some impressions once I get to fool around with it a bit.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I used this to play emulators on my tablet. For such a cheap controller, I was pretty happy with it. Battery life, size, and compatibility were all great. My only real complaint was that the analog nub wasn't very comfortable.

I have this coming in the mail today. It was $6 cheaper when I ordered it the other day, though. I'll post some impressions once I get to fool around with it a bit.

That second one looks cool.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
That second one looks cool.

I tried it with a couple emulators last night. Not really liking it so far. You have to have a Chinese app running to use it, which is pretty sketchy. The instructions are worthless and in broken English, so I had to find some online.

I did a bit more research this morning, and it looks like there's a way to use it without the app. Apparently you have to hold Home and X when you turn it on and it'll pair without the app. I forgot to bring it to work, so I'll try it out when I get home and post an update. If I can use the controller without the app, I think I'd be pretty happy with it.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Not, I've purchased it on my old Captivate and in trying to use on my 10.1 tablet, it plays off to the corner. I've tried changing resolution, dpi, etc... to no avail.

I'm really waiting for Football Heroes to finally reach Android. It's made by a Gaffer by the name of Zeenbor

FBH_New_2.png

FBH_New_3.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QGT2UaLXy0#t=34

Question, how can a company be shamed into coming through on their original kickstarter promises? They started this game as a paid game, then in development, it became a freemium game. Then not 1, not 2, but 3 iterations of this game, from the original Football Heroes version 1.5 to Football Heroes: Pro Edition, all on the iOS platform but not on Android when every game was promised day and date with both platforms. The main stickler is the Pro Edition version because it features real NFL players and I highly doubt that the NFLPA only wants that on one platform, when all press releases said for both platforms as well. People paid the kickstarter back in 2012 and in over two years, we are still without an Android version, no release date in sight and developers on their website and Facebook page don't acknowledge people when asked about the Android version. Just sad all the way around

Daigoro

Question, how can a company be shamed into coming through on their original kickstarter promises? They started this game as a paid game, then in development, it became a freemium game. Then not 1, not 2, but 3 iterations of this game, from the original Football Heroes version 1.5 to Football Heroes: Pro Edition, all on the iOS platform but not on Android when every game was promised day and date with both platforms. The main stickler is the Pro Edition version because it features real NFL players and I highly doubt that the NFLPA only wants that on one platform, when all press releases said for both platforms as well. People paid the kickstarter back in 2012 and in over two years, we are still without an Android version, no release date in sight and developers on their website and Facebook page don't acknowledge people when asked about the Android version. Just sad all the way around

is that gaffer who made the game still around?

A question for Gaf.

I'm not a heavy smartphone user, but I'm getting a hand 'me' down Galaxy Note 2 soon.

Will I be able to play games like Banner Saga, Hitman Go and Monument Valley decently on a Note 2?

A question for Gaf.

I'm not a heavy smartphone user, but I'm getting a hand 'me' down Galaxy Note 2 soon.

Will I be able to play games like Banner Saga, Hitman Go and Monument Valley decently on a Note 2?
Hitman GO requires some hefty specs. The frame rate noticeably drops even on my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm getting frustrated with the lack of news about a phone release of Hearthstone.

I guess I can play it on my PC in the meantime.

I thought it was supposed to come alongside Gobs vs Gnomes, but all info has since floated away, so probably not :/

Kinda bullshit, not like porting it over would be a huge task...

Wait, is the Android release confirmed for today? Worldwide?

o.k. today is the 8th supposedly new Hearthstone xpac and Android tablet release, why is there not a drop of news about this?

Blizzard probably staggered release to not have to many problems and server issues. They had issues as is on launch day.

I expect next week for Android. Gives them this week to make sure everything with the expansion works. Then drop Android next week and have all week to fix.

They won't do it the following week cause nobody gonna launch during Xmas.

kiguel182

They have to know a date by now, so frustrating.

I'm waiting on it to start playing it again since it's more comfortable playing on tablets anyway.

But, with my luck, it will run poorly on my tablet or something. I can already sense it.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
A question for Gaf.

The Banner Saga chugs on my Galaxy S5, so I'm not sure you're going to have much luck with that one.

Monument Valley works on my Nook HD+, which benchmarks lower than a Note 2. Hitman Go also works, but I had to get it through the Amazon app store. Google Play doesn't consider it compatible, even though I've played it and it's fine.

To my surprise, both Amazon and Google Play will let me install The Banner Saga. It would take over an hour on my work internet, but I'll try it out when I get home and let you know how it goes.

Top Bottom