• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Baulder's Gate II is now out on android. Went ahead and bought it, we will see how playable it is on a note. Sad that Icewind Dale only has 5000 downloads

Orcastar

Hearthstone is now available in Europe, or at least in Finland. Played a match on my Galaxy Tab S 10.5 and was surprised at how badly it runs. The framerate was all over the place.

I love all these types of games, but I just don't feel they translate well to touchscreens.
It's definitely playable with the note and zoom but obviously not the best way to play it. With pause combat is fine but inventory management can be rather frustrating, as holding an item icon replaces the right click. Sometimes leads to dragging the item instead. Still, can't believe I'm actually playing a playable version of the game on a phone. Looks pretty nice on the small screen too.

Dicer

Banned
Hearthstone is now available in Europe, or at least in Finland. Played a match on my Galaxy Tab S 10.5 and was surprised at how badly it runs. The framerate was all over the place.

That's a problem with your tablet then, I'm running it on a cruddy Tab 3 and it runs pretty much spot on, save the screen when waiting for an opponent.

That's a problem with your tablet then, I'm running it on a cruddy Tab 3 and it runs pretty much spot on, save the screen when waiting for an opponent.

Not necessarily, this problem is reported on a number of devices per the Hearthstone thread. I have a 10.5 S as well and it was in fact pretty choppy last night, but it was better a moment ago. Still not as smooth as it should be but far from unplayable.

Not necessarily, this problem is reported on a number of devices per the Hearthstone thread. I have a 10.5 S as well and it was in fact pretty choppy last night, but it was better a moment ago. Still not as smooth as it should be but far from unplayable.

I have the 10.5 S too and just installed Hearthstone to play a few rounds. It runs fine here, just an occasional stutter when there's a big animation going off (like the hero exploding at the end of the round) but no input lag whatsoever. I remember that performance on PC is hugely effected by connection lag - it might not be the hardware that's bottlenecking.

Lomax

Baulder's Gate II is now out on android. Went ahead and bought it, we will see how playable it is on a note. Sad that Icewind Dale only has 5000 downloads

Considering that it's $10, which is almost impossible to get anyone to spend on android, and that it didn't have nearly the following or the success of the BG series, 5000 downloads for Icewind Dale to me sounds almost shockingly high.

soultron

Banned
I'm really thinking of splashing money on 80 Days. Seems to have made a good impression on people. Anyone here played it?

I'm playing on a GS3 and it's great so far, albeit not without some issues. Sometimes it appears to freeze, but it's just that certain inputs/buttons don't work, for whatever reason. To fix this, it usually involves going back a screen or two, and then trying whatever you got stuck on again. I think the issues will be sorted in a while, and my handset is older, so if you're on a newer phone, you may not have the same spread of issues I've experienced.

Definitely worth it so far. When it works, it's fantastic. It's basically a choose-your-own-(text)adventure with some route planning, time management, and resource/money management. The writing is absolutely top notch.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Considering that it's $10, which is almost impossible to get anyone to spend on android, and that it didn't have nearly the following or the success of the BG series, 5000 downloads for Icewind Dale to me sounds almost shockingly high.

Also it just doesn't seem like the type of game a lot of people would play on their tablets.

Seems like a lot of Final Fantasy games went on discount today at Play Store.

Yeah, Square-Enix put a bunch of games on sale (December 19th-January 5th):

Final Fantasy - $3.99 (Regular Price: $7.99)
Final Fantasy II - $3.99 (Regular Price: $7.99)
Final Fantasy III - $7.99 (Regular Price: $15.99)
Final Fantasy IV - $7.99 (Regular Price: $15.99)
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years - $7.99 (Regular Price: $15.99)
Final Fantasy V - $7.99 (Regular Price: $15.99)
Final Fantasy VI - $7.99 (Regular Price: $15.99)
Final Fantasy Dimensions - $7.99 (Regular Price: $16.99)
Chrono Trigger - $4.99 (Regular Price: $9.99)
Dragon Quest II - $2.99 (Regular Price: $4.99)
Dragon Quest VIII - $12.99 (Regular Price: $19.99)
Secret of Mana - $3.99 (Regular Price: $9.00)

Yeah, Square-Enix put a bunch of games on sale:

Final Fantasy - $3.99 (Regular Price: $7.99)
Final Fantasy II - $3.99 (Regular Price: $7.99)
Final Fantasy III - $7.99 (Regular Price: $15.99)
Final Fantasy IV - $7.99 (Regular Price: $15.99)
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years - $7.99 (Regular Price: $15.99)
Final Fantasy V - $7.99 (Regular Price: $15.99)
Final Fantasy VI - $7.99 (Regular Price: $15.99)
Final Fantasy Dimensions - $7.99 (Regular Price: $16.99)
Chrono Trigger - $4.99 (Regular Price: $9.99)
Dragon Quest II - $2.99 (Regular Price: $4.99)
Dragon Quest VIII - $12.99 (Regular Price: $19.99)
I was excited for this but it seems that most won't work on 4.4 or higher.

I was excited for this but it seems that most won't work on 4.4 or higher.

I know FFIII and IV work on Lollipop. It sounds like V was updated to work, but VI may still have some problems. Dimensions is compatible with Lollipop, according to one of the reviews. FFIVTAY, DQII, and VIII are fairly recent releases, so they should work.

I and II haven't been updated in a long time, so they probably won't work. Chrono Trigger also hasn't been updated for a long time, so it probably won't work (Plus, CT has this dumb semi-online DRM, where it has to download the rest of the game in the background at certain points).

Added Secret of Mana to the above list. It's a recent release on Android, so it's surprising that they discounted it this quickly.

Hopefully Amazon matches the SE deals. I still have some coins hanging around.
Sometimes they PM, sometimes they don't; I think it's up to SE. The only thing to watch out for with the Amazon Appstore versions is that it seems like SE releases one version and doesn't update it. For example, FFIV on the Play Store is listed as version 1.3.1, while FFIV on AA is listed as version "1.0.0." I put it in quotes because it actually seems to be based on a later version of FFIV, since it works with Lollipop, but it's missing the big features from the Play Store's most recent versions, such as gamepad support and cloud saves.

Days of Wonder put their games on sale.

Ticket to Ride - $2.99 (Regular Price: $6.99)
Small World 2 - $2.99 (Regular Price: $9.99)

Ticket to Ride is fantastic on Android, and the DLC is cross-compatible, so if you bought any of the DLC maps on Steam, all you need to do is link it to your Days of Wonder account to access it on Android. I haven't played much of Small World 2, but it seems good, and also has DLC cross-compatibility.

And another sale:
McPixel - $0.99 (Regular Price: $2.99)

Nightbird

I stumbled across this little Gem called: Buff Knight - RPG Runner

It is a endless Runner in RPG Form. Your Character searches for Artefacts and runs trough Dungeons fighting enemis. you can assist him by casting a Lightning spell on the enemies or buying and enchancing his Weapons and Armor. Its kind of addicting, has Achievements, and is not very Performance-heavy (It runs very smooth on my Phone, and its not a powerful Phone i have)

So yeah, if you have some leftover Money you could give it a try, it's 0.99$!

Buff Knight

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
I just went through this entire thread and loaded my new tablet with games to play while on my long flight. Thank you to all posters for great recommendations.

Moar sales!

<More Square-Enix>
Crystal Defenders - $2.99 (Regular Price: $6.99)
Chaos Rings - $3.99 (Regular Price: $7.99)
Chaos Rings &#937; - $3.99 (Regular Price: $8.99)
Chaos Rings II - $6.99 (Regular Price: $15.99)
Drakerider - $5.89 (Regular Price: $14.73)
Deus Ex: The Fall - $0.99 (Regular Price: $6.99)

<Everyone else>
Angry Birds Star Wars HD - $0.99 (Regular Price: $3.72)
Beat Hazard Ultra - $1.10 (Regular Price: $4.99)
Bridge Constructor - $0.99 (Regular Price: $1.99)
Bridge Constructor Playground - $0.99 (Regular Price: $1.99)
Bridge Constructor Medieval - $0.99 (Regular Price: $1.99)
The Room Two - $0.99 (Regular Price: $2.99)

I stumbled across this little Gem called: Buff Knight - RPG Runner

It is a endless Runner in RPG Form. Your Character searches for Artefacts and runs trough Dungeons fighting enemis. you can assist him by casting a Lightning spell on the enemies or buying and enchancing his Weapons and Armor. Its kind of addicting, has Achievements, and is not very Performance-heavy (It runs very smooth on my Phone, and its not a powerful Phone i have)

So yeah, if you have some leftover Money you could give it a try, it's 0.99$!

Buff Knight

Ooo, that's fun. Just beat the "final" boss for the first time.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I tried it with a couple emulators last night. Not really liking it so far. You have to have a Chinese app running to use it, which is pretty sketchy. The instructions are worthless and in broken English, so I had to find some online.

I did a bit more research this morning, and it looks like there's a way to use it without the app. Apparently you have to hold Home and X when you turn it on and it'll pair without the app. I forgot to bring it to work, so I'll try it out when I get home and post an update. If I can use the controller without the app, I think I'd be pretty happy with it.

so after a week of usps giving me the run around and finally having to go down to the station to get the package, i finally have one of these. i like the build quality, and being able to play my psp games on a functioning portable again is aces. but i do have one question. is there a control mapping program that works for it without rooting?

I've been spending many hours with Pinball Arcade... it's an emulator that lets you play the best real world pinball tables (Bally, Williams, Stern and Gottlieb.)

You buy packs of tables (each with the complete soundtrack and ROM) as an in-app purchase so if you try to Pokémon them, it's going to be expensive. However, just a single table should last you for a very long time - these classic tables have more 'content' than many software-only designs... I feel it's worth the price.

The controls aren't optimal for phones (and you can get some performance issues) but it works perfectly on tablets.

I'm currently playing:

Cirqus%20Voltaire.jpg
Theatre%20of%20Magic.jpg
Twilight%20Zone.jpg

Benedict

I've been spending many hours with Pinball Arcade... it's an emulator that lets you play the best real world pinball tables (Bally, Williams, Stern and Gottlieb.)

You buy packs of tables (each with the complete soundtrack and ROM) as an in-app purchase so if you try to Pokémon them, it's going to be expensive. However, just a single table should last you for a very long time - these classic tables have more 'content' than many software-only designs... I feel it's worth the price.

The controls aren't optimal for phones (and you can get some performance issues) but it works perfectly on tablets.

I'm currently playing:

Cirqus%20Voltaire.jpg
Theatre%20of%20Magic.jpg
Twilight%20Zone.jpg

There is also a sale until new year on for season 1 and 2 where they are sold for 50%

Two table packs are also having a sale this weekend.
From Season One a table pack containing Taxi and Harley Davidson are sold for $0.99
From Season Two a table pack containing White Water and Space shuttle are sold for $0.99.

If you get the game from the Amazon Appstore, DLC can be bought with Amazon coins.

awp69

Just came here to post about it. Great game and I was shocked that it's only $2.99 (iOS version is $7.99). Not sure if this is just a launch price, but if you have any interest in it, I'd say grab it ASAP as this dev is not one prone to sales. On iOS, he actually raised the price on Black Friday as kind of a joking protest of the normal sales.

Anyway, it's absolutely superb and probably one of the best adaptations of a board game I've seen on mobile.

EDIT: iPad version is $7.99. Newly released iPhone version is on sale for $2.99. Looks like both the iPhone and Android versions will be $4.99 after launch sale. What's cool is that the Android version is "universal" so we get the better deal being able to play the game on our tablets for cheap!

The performance for GTA: Chinatown Wars is pretty poor on my Edge. Fine at times but there's frequent slowdown. Was hoping such things wouldn't be an issue given the specs of the phone but I suppose the screen resolution is quite high

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
The performance for GTA: Chinatown Wars is pretty poor on my Edge. Fine at times but there's frequent slowdown. Was hoping such things wouldn't be an issue given the specs of the phone but I suppose the screen resolution is quite high
Speaking of, it's cureentry $2.99 on Amazon and Google Play.

I'm currently playing:

Cirqus%20Voltaire.jpg
Theatre%20of%20Magic.jpg
Twilight%20Zone.jpg

I play this a *lot*.

I had a top 10-score for both White Water and Star Trek when they were only a couple of months old.

Having played the real tables a lot, this does a very good job recreating the experience. Given how hard it is to find tables in even adequate working order, much less perfect, this is a decent substitute.

The Standard/Wizard goals is also a nice feature to keep you coming back. I got all the Wizard goals on 7 or 8 tables. Some of them are insanely hard.

Top Bottom