• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

I just bought my first Android device(Moto G second Gen) so I'm looking for some games, I'm not interested in the usual puzzle stuff and more into platformers, JRPGs, and VNs, so far my list is:

Dragon Quest(all of them except 8)
80 Days
Both of the Rayman Run games
Monument Valley

I'm kinda disappointed in the selection of RPGs and VNs, mobile gaming seems like it would be PERFECT for them and all I see are old ports of stuff I already played, maybe someone knows of a hidden gem that I haven't found. I also really do not like F2P stuff(even if I'm sure some games do it well), I'm willing to pay premium for the sake of no ads and no mirco transaction crap.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I just bought my first Android device(Moto G second Gen) so I'm looking for some games, I'm not interested in the usual puzzle stuff and more into platformers, JRPGs, and VNs, so far my list is:

80 Days
Monument Valley

I'm kinda disappointed in the selection of RPGs and VNs, mobile gaming seems like it would be PERFECT for them and all I see are old ports of stuff I already played, maybe someone knows of a hidden gem that I haven't found. I also really do not like F2P stuff(even if I'm sure some games do it well), I'm willing to pay premium for the sake of no ads and no mirco transaction crap.
If you like rhythm games, you should check out Rhythm of Fighters and DJMax Technika Q.

Selner

i reluctantly installed this... and have since uninstalled adventure quest dragons o.o;
really is much better.

Agree! Tap Titans is much prettier, and has some more gameplay elements to it.
But it's still just tapping, tapping and more tapping. Mind-numbing tapping.

brau

I need some recommendations.

Games i have

Hoplite (which i love)
Monument Valley
Rymdkasel
Hitman Go
Rayman Jungle
Scrabble
Fruit Ninja (lol)
Bonza

Any recommendations? I am pretty open to the type of game. As long as its fun.

zulux21

slightly enjoyable but mind numbing is what I want :p
gotta turn off that pesky brain somehow.

SystemUser

Been waiting for this. I can finally delete the Amazon App Shop again.

Why would you want to do that? They have deals and freebies. I have bought more from Amazon than from Play due to comparing prices. Play seems to rarely have sales compared to Amazon Appstore. I like to have both stores available. Does the Amazon appstore have some bad side effects that I don't know about?

Why would you want to do that? They have deals and freebies. I have bought more from Amazon than from Play due to comparing prices. Play seems to rarely have sales compared to Amazon Appstore. I like to have both stores available. Does the Amazon appstore have some bad side effects that I don't know about?

No, it's just personal preference I guess. I don't want too many apps on my phone, let alone two app stores.

But I do know that the Amazon App Shop has many great freebies and install it from time time when they gift you great games like Monument Valley.

Will there be a way for me to buy a legit copy of HoMM III once it gets released, but play it on my phone? I think they're gonna lock it to tablets.

I've been playing Looney Tunes Dash! and I've seen some cheats online to give unlimited bucks and coins. Are these legitimate or is it just installing viruses? I know there are trainers for pc games, but I'm kind of unfamiliar with android gaming cheats.

so i just got a galaxy tab s (couldnt say no to that screen) but i m a total android noob.
I dont really like mobile games but decided to give them another chance with this tablet.
Now i was wondering if you guys know of any apps and games that really shine on this tablet and maybe might change my mind on mobile games.
I got simpsons tapped out already
thx for the help

Hasney

so i just got a galaxy tab s (couldnt say no to that screen) but i m a total android noob.
I dont really like mobile games but decided to give them another chance with this tablet.
Now i was wondering if you guys know of any apps and games that really shine on this tablet and maybe might change my mind on mobile games.
I got simpsons tapped out already
thx for the help

Hearthstone, Hearthstone, Hearthstone.

Yeah i was trying to work out what the hell else you do except mindlessly mash the pad.
Does seem to be very few games on android that hold my attention outside of Kingdom rush games.

Hasney

Excellent criticism.

Thanks man :)

But seriously, the whole thing feels like it's mocking me, like it's trying to be some post-f2p study or something. From it's soulless polygonal boxy graphics, to there only being about 5 obstacles and constantly in the same designed world. Why would I want to beat my 100 score and why would I want to come back for a random gift of fake currency? "It's gift time. The game won't change even in the slightest, but come eat it up anyway, you know you want to".

I thought that Crazy Taxi game was bad enough but yeesh. I had pretty much sworn off all free mobile games, but everyone praising it made me check it out and this one has just completely baffled me.

The only thing I hated about Crossy Road was the constant notifications telling me to come back in for my free gift. I didn't find an obvious way to turn off notifications in the game, so I uninstalled it.

This was the Amazon appstore version so maybe things have changed... but those type of nagging notifications really make me hate a game, even if it might be fun to play.

Massa

The only thing I hated about Crossy Road was the constant notifications telling me to come back in for my free gift. I didn't find an obvious way to turn off notifications in the game, so I uninstalled it.

This was the Amazon appstore version so maybe things have changed... but those type of nagging notifications really make me hate a game, even if it might be fun to play.

You can turn off notifications for any app on the phone's Settings page.

Pachimari

To me Crossy Road is one of the best games of 2014.

It is just so extremely addicting, and it's one of those games where I'm thinking "just one more try!", and that almost never happens in today's gaming.

80 Days
Monument Valley

Have you played the 3D remake of FFIV? If not, the Android version albeit pricey is definitely reccomended. It was actually my first time playing FFIV and I really enjoyed my time with it, especially the AA and the high-resolution that would not be there if I had played it on DS. Mind you, I played it on a 8.4" tablet with a stylus to browse more easily and fast through the menus but since you have a phone with a much smaller screen I suppose it's gonna be ok without a stylus anyway.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just discovered this thread, and after getting my Droid Turbo I've been playing a lot more mobile games than ever before. Currently enjoying Monument Valley among others, too bad it's so damn short. I sprung for the extra 8 levels for 2 bucks.

A couple questions:

Hitman Go looks....interesting, I think it looks like something I'd enjoy but after watching the demonstration video on the app store I have no fucking idea what the game really is. Is it worth it? Is it basically a strategy game?

Also, what are some good simple yet unique strategy games on Android? I don't want some standard tower defense game or something that's incredibly involved or has a lot of micro-managing, but not something that's too repetitive or monotonous either. Any suggestions?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Hitman Go looks....interesting, I think it looks like something I'd enjoy but after watching the demonstration video on the app store I have no fucking idea what the game really is. Is it worth it? Is it basically a strategy game?

It's a puzzle game styled like a board game, you have to make your way around the level avoiding/killing the guards and get to the end. Every time you move a space the guards move/react so the idea is to plan out how to move around without getting trapped or caught. It's really good.

Also, what are some good simple yet unique strategy games on Android? I don't want some standard tower defense game or something that's incredibly involved or has a lot of micro-managing, but not something that's too repetitive or monotonous either. Any suggestions?

You might like Eufloria.
It's a fairly simple real-time strategy game with a gorgeous artstyle.

Basically it has you growing an army of little plant ships that you send to take over other asteroids and defend your own. There's a well paced story mode and some challenge maps as well I think. Controls are simple and they add mechanics at a smart pace so it's not overwhelming and it's never too complicated even once they introduce everything either.

It's very slow paced and relaxing at the default speed, but you can fast forward if you want to speed things up.

And even though they are standard tower defense game, I'd recommend at least trying one of the Kingdom Rush games. They are pretty much the best TD games there are, so if you can't get into them then at least you know the genre isn't your thing.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Downloaded the Eufloria free version but haven't had time to really try it out. Looks interesting though.

How is Total War Battles: SHOGUN (Sega) on Android? Anyone have it? It's 1.99.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Downloaded the Eufloria free version but haven't had time to really try it out. Looks interesting though.

How is Total War Battles: SHOGUN (Sega) on Android? Anyone have it? It's 1.99.

I can't speak for Total War, but I wanted to chime in with a recommendation: Amoebattle. It's a port of a DSiWare game, and works perfectly on mobile. It's my favorite RTS on the platformer (since most strategy games are turn-based).

Jinko

Dunno if this has been mentioned in here.

Crusaders Quest is a cool sprite based adventure game,worth checking out if you like collecting heroes/avatars etc.

If you decide to play add me via Line:- Jinko.

Trailer

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle

zulux21

so terra battle (from mistwalker aka blue dragon, lost odyssey, the last story creators) got a decent update which includes co op missions and referrals so now is a good time to join. (plus it is one of the better free to play games out there to me) thus I am recommending it again :p

I will throw my referral code out here as you can get 5 bonus energy (think magic stones from puzzles and dragons) from using it, though if you have friends that play the game I would just swap with them as you can only use one referral code per account

Check out Terra Battle and help unravel the mysteries of a dying world!
Official website:
http://www.terra-battle.com
Referral code:
FyUZmWQiukHy

Redeem the referral code above and both you and the friend who invited you will receive in-game gifts!
To do so, navigate to Main -> Invite Friend -> Redeem Code in the in-game menu and enter the code when prompted.
Your friend will receive his or her gift once you complete Chapter 3. If you've already completed it, he or she will receive it once you redeem the referral code.
Note: You can redeem a referral code only once.

btw if you do decide to pick up terra battle we have a thread for it right here

google play link for game

also if you like the game tell your friends as they have a download starter thing which the more people download it the quicker they add content to the game, and eventually they will start working on a console version of the game (which will use the universe but not the gameplay)

Would you recommend 80 days? I have a 4-hour plane trip in a week or so and I'd like to have something to play on my 8.4" Tab Pro. I've seen some "gameplay" footage on Youtube and it seems interesting but the writing will either make or break this game and I couldn't really judge by the video.

Top Bottom