• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I just ordered a Shield Tablet! I'm pretty stoked to have a big, powerful rig to run cool shit on now. I'm upgrading from a 2012 Nexus 7, which has become slow as shit.

I'll need to grab X-Com and Walking Dead. Any other games which are recommended for a tablet experience? I've already bought Battlehearts Legacy, Banner Saga, Riptide GT 2, Deus Ex: The Fall, and Leo's Fortune recently.

Hasney

I just ordered a Shield Tablet! I'm pretty stoked to have a big, powerful rig to run cool shit on now. I'm upgrading from a 2012 Nexus 7, which has become slow as shit.

I'll need to grab X-Com and Walking Dead. Any other games which are recommended for a tablet experience? I've already bought Battlehearts Legacy, Banner Saga, Riptide GT 2, Deus Ex: The Fall, and Leo's Fortune recently.

Hearthstone, especially since it's free and all.

KumaJG

Xcom is not compatible with the Shield...You have to do a work around to get it to work.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Are you friggin' kidding me? Oh, for the love of Pete...

Definitely this. Play let me download it on my N7, but it wouldn't actually run it. I actually got an error saying my Tablet wasn't powerful enough.

The Amazon appstore version works on my 2012 N7. The menus are laggy but in-game it is fine.

soultron

Banned
Motorsport Manager released on Android recently. While I haven't played it myself I do remember the ios version getting some great reviews. http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-motorsport-manager/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.game.motorsportmanager&hl=en_GB

Been kicking around with this today. Pretty neat sim. Great UI and art.

The only bad thing, I'd say, is that you can't really use the fast forward options in races because you really need to constantly switch driver strategies. If you're not playing at 1x speed or 2x speed (assuming 4x is the max), you'll end up having drivers crash if you're telling them to be aggressive.

This means that you might not be able to get a full race in if all you have time for is 3-5 minutes. A qualifying race can be done in that, but not a full event.

Still, that's my only gripe. It's very engaging so far, and I've never even watched F1 before. I don't follow the sport, but this is a cool way to learn a bit about it!

Nikodemos

What card battle games would be a good fit for a relatively low-mid end phone like my Xperia M2?

I've tried Deck Heroes and it's pretty decent, despite the abundant IAPs. However, the strategic part is rather thin, more Spectromancer than MTG.

garath

What card battle games would be a good fit for a relatively low-mid end phone like my Xperia M2?

I've tried Deck Heroes and it's pretty decent, despite the abundant IAPs. However, the strategic part is rather thin, more Spectromancer than MTG.

Solforge might run pretty well. I've enjoyed that.

Horseticuffs

Just beat Samurai 2 again, this time on my new Shield Tablet and Ipega controller. It was a very fun experience. Madfinger are a really talented team. I like their other stuff. The Dead Trigger games are loads of fun despite the F2P shit. It just kills me that they've not mentioned, anywhere I can find at least, working on a Samurai 3 anywhere.

Samurai 2 was like the first or second mobile game I ever bought on my old iPod Touch and it and shit like Infinity Blade really showed me what mobiles were capable of. Samurai 2 still holds up years later. Solid beat 'em up gameplay that works well with touch controls but holds its own versus console games with an actual controller. Beautiful cartoon graphics with thick black outlines that give off sexy Viewtiful Joe and Okami vibes. It will be really sad if we never see a Samurai 3 since their F2P dealings have been so profitable. I'm afraid Madfinger has just become a one-trick pony.

I tried tweeting at them a few days ago asking what the fuck was up with the Samurai franchise but no dice. Its a damned shame.

Anyone know of any other good beat 'em ups? I've got Fist of awesome already but haven't really given a go yet.

Daigoro

Motorsport Manager released on Android recently. While I haven't played it myself I do remember the ios version getting some great reviews. http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-motorsport-manager/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.game.motorsportmanager&hl=en_GB

this game is great! people should check it out.

check out Star Realms.

Nikodemos

Solforge might run pretty well. I've enjoyed that.
It keeps glitching on me. Just kicked me out of the tutorial. :( Apparently the latest version is rather unstable, according to playstore reviews.

check out Star Realms.
Looks pretty impressive, mechanically. I'll definitely fiddle with it some more.
However the In-Game Environment is somewhat sparse compared to Deck Heroes; I needz muh dailies.

KumaJG

I been playing One Piece Treasure Cruise, not a bad game.

Just bought Devils and Demons Premium. I like it. It is a turn base strategy game.

Horseticuffs

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.jujubee.flashout2

As much as I want to enjoy Riptide gp 2, Jet ski racers just aren't my jam. I spent many hours, however, playing Wipeout back in the day. This game right here, Flashout 2, is a pretty serviceable tribute and it's on sale for a bit for 99¢. Yeah, there's IAP for the same currency you earn racing but it doesn't seem particularly egregious so if you're looking for this sort of game maybe consider it.

Thieve

Neo Member

As much as I want to enjoy Riptide gp 2, Jet ski racers just aren't my jam. I spent many hours, however, playing Wipeout back in the day. This game right here, Flashout 2, is a pretty serviceable tribute and it's on sale for a bit for 99¢. Yeah, there's IAP for the same currency you earn racing but it doesn't seem particularly egregious so if you're looking for this sort of game maybe consider it.

I was really excited about this, until I read the reviews haha. Looks like it keeps asking you to buy the full game even when you have, and the lack of controller support is a huge downer for me.

Is the unlock issue just a minor case? Have you tried using a ps3 controller with it?

Horseticuffs

I was really excited about this, until I read the reviews haha. Looks like it keeps asking you to buy the full game even when you have, and the lack of controller support is a huge downer for me.

Is the unlock issue just a minor case? Have you tried using a ps3 controller with it?
I've just gotten into using a controller since I got a new tablet. I haven't been able to try with this yet, though. That would be a real shame! I'll try this evening after work and post an update.

I've only raced like maybe four races but noticed it was on sale and given the popularity of fzero and wipeout thought it might be of interest.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
How bad is the Gamestick CONTROLLER?

I can get one for like 8 bucks and use it as a cheap BT controller on my N7. Was wondering if it's worth it or not.

Pinball Arcade has Addams Family pinball out. Anyone check it out?

Standard goals complete, 3/5 Wizard goals complete.

I played this a lot back in the day, so it's fun to re-remember how to most efficiently score. While it was one of my favorites (along with Twilight Zone, White Water and ST:TNG) I think it may not have as much staying power for me. The "Power" drives me nuts and the pace of play is slower than those other three.

That said, it seems like a rock-solid recreation, as least to my memory. I certainly logged a lot of time on this one, playing daily.

Vanillalite

How bad is the Gamestick CONTROLLER?

I can get one for like 8 bucks and use it as a cheap BT controller on my N7. Was wondering if it's worth it or not.

Welp I caved and got one anyways since it was $9.

Paired up seamlessly with my N7. Worked out of the box with PPSSPP. Gonna try Shadowgun later.

Horseticuffs

So I'm trying out Flashout 2 just now and it is NOT compatible with hardware controllers. That said, I don't know if this is a feature specific to Shield Tablets or an Android feature but I can just hold down the start button and hotmap virtual buttons to controller buttons and it is a freakin' dream. Just like playing Wipeout now!

EDIT: OMG. Just hit the paywall error here on Flashout 2. What a bitch. It's a good game, particularly with a real controller but they really just screwed the pooch :/

Thieve

Neo Member
So I'm trying out Flashout 2 just now and it is NOT compatible with hardware controllers. That said, I don't know if this is a feature specific to Shield Tablets or an Android feature but I can just hold down the start button and hotmap virtual buttons to controller buttons and it is a freakin' dream. Just like playing Wipeout now!

EDIT: OMG. Just hit the paywall error here on Flashout 2. What a bitch. It's a good game, particularly with a real controller but they really just screwed the pooch :/

I'm gonna keep an eye on it, hopefully they get it updated at least in the near future. I love me some Wipeout.

Vanillalite

I forgot I already own KoF98 from a previous SNK sale. Will have to try it our with my BT controller later!

On a side note I wonder how well Hearthstone is doing on Android specifically.

yogloo

A little bit of rant. Platform openness and legacy support are exactly why pc is the best gaming platform ever. Reading the reviews on the kof games pisses me off. A lot of games and apps are broken by system updates and the devs don't even bother to fix them. This also happens on ios.

Hasney

A little bit of rant. Platform openness and legacy support are exactly why pc is the best gaming platform ever. Reading the reviews on the kof games pisses me off. A lot of games and apps are broken by system updates and the devs don't even bother to fix them. This happens also happens on ios.

Yup, it's dumb. It's equally insulting when Google Play is reporting that KOF '98 is compatible with all of my devices, one of which being a Nexus 6 which has never even had anything lower than Lollipop.

If it doesn't work with the latest version of software, it should be pulled from the store until it does.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Eat Beat: Dead Spike-san, a F2P rhythm game by Arc System Works is out today. While the hit detection is not as good as DJMax Technika Q or The Rhythm of Fighters it is still pretty decent. Besides, Blazblue music is awesome.

garath

This game is pretty damn fun. I restarted once already because I think I jumped circuits too quickly and fell behind in money and got into a trap of being unable to advance. My new strat is to stick with the first circuit for 2 winning seasons before moving on. That 8 mil will come in handy and prevent me from trying to come back from behind.

Messed up a little bit on my second season though as I picked a greedy sponsor who wants first for the bonus for everything. Hard to do even with a pretty good staff.

am_dragon

Word of warning, $.99 gets you 2 single player tracks, and multiplayer. If you want to play past the 2nd track in single player there is another $3.99 charge. It is not a $.99 sale. I wish I had finished the tutorial and 2nd track in time to get a refund, as it is I just uninstalled it.

Horseticuffs

Word of warning, $.99 gets you 2 single player tracks, and multiplayer. If you want to play past the 2nd track in single player there is another $3.99 charge. It is not a $.99 sale. I wish I had finished the tutorial and 2nd track in time to get a refund, as it is I just uninstalled it.
You know, the sad part is if I could have found that IAP I might have paid for it. The U.I. is a cluster fuck. Unless someone has an alternative arcade racer suggestion i might reinstall and try to find it.

I want an arcade racer without a ton of IAP!
Edit: One bright spot in this all is that I've become reacquiring reacquainted with Mini Motor Racing. Shit is legit. Can't wait to try it with an actual controller.

I've also really been enjoying Swordigo lately! Once I beat that I'm going to start Wayward Souls. Progress on Banner Saga is slow. The game takes a lot out of you!

Thieve

Neo Member
If I've never played either of the Bit Dungeon games, should I pickup the first one first? Or would I not be missing anything just going straight for the second?

Vanillalite

Has anyone tried out Reicast recently?

Now that I have a BT controller I was thinking about trying Reicast, and I wondered the state of things.

Thieve

Neo Member
What's the big difference between the free and pay versions? Both have IAP, but I'm sure there's some pretty big difference.

Honestly, I didn't even know there was a free version haha. I'm guessing the paid version gets rid of ads, but the IAP just speeds up things, you don't have to pay.

Top Bottom